Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patrick Henry

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jackson Center

Votes: 10 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well said.

Russia and Hiland/Crestview please remember to keep “perspective” this weekend when the clock is running in the second half of your D4 state tournament games.

It just comes down to perspective. Me, personally, I was born and raised in Cuyahoga County. Live here now. I went to a inner ring suburban public (Cleveland Heights) and I had friends and neighbors I grew up with go Ignatius, VASJ, Benedictine, US, Hawken, and one kid went to Ed's. My best friend growing up on my street was a Gesu kid who decided between Ignatius, Hawken and US (for education). Cuyahoga County parents are always discussing school districts and moving and what schools and suburbs (public). It's all I know. Yeah, I have been on and witnessed teams get beat down by Ed's and Ignatius. I known D1 athletes who lived near me who went to Ignatius and VASJ. Stuff happens.

These conversations probably just don't occur in MAC country. People around here actually move because of school system quality.

It's obvious BB216 is from northeast Ohio. The point I am trying to make is I think when you grow up in urban areas you really don't give a whole lot of thought or get bent out of shape when you hear about kids or parents trying to provide the best opportunities for their children.

If my child has a passion for basketball, and I live in a certain area that doesn't have the best school or program, why would I not consider St Ed's, SVSM or Richmond Hts? The coaches don't have to recruit, the programs speak for themselves. I am an east sider and unless your kid goes to Solon or Orange or is already at a private school you are probably discussing which local system is right to send your kids to and/if they should go private. It just life what it is. The fact that your child's interest or hobby will factor in these discussions is just common sense and obvious.

I just don't think small town people understand this while for urban people it's just a way of life. Just different perspectives.

Carry on.
That's all fine and sounds good but you're kidding yourself if you think the aau all star team coached by an aau coach Richmond heights isn't recruiting. They just pulled a kid from Solon one of the nice schools you just mentioned. how are small d4 teams supposed to compete with that?

Unless you win the final game of the year every other team has their dreams ruined. How many dreams have the MAC ruined in football ? Kirtland has lost two games in 3 years - both to MAC schools in the state championship. Kirtland is everything that is right with lower level HS football. The MAC in football is no different then Heights in basketball.
Hahaha! The MAC is easy - start going down the roster from these schools for the last 40 years and they all have the same last names year after year.

You do understand that Heights has a brand new high school as well - right. They happen to be in a community where there are apartments as well. Unless you live under a rock you have to know that talented kids want to play for winning programs. I know this first hand from my son's experience at VASJ. Winning programs recruit themselves. If your team stinks or has poor coaching and you have a chance to attend a new school with a state championship program - it's a no brainer. What if you are a parent that has the resources to provide the best for your kid - would you do it or worry about outsiders feelings ? People seem to only have an issue when a school like Glenville, Richmond Heights, Lutheran East or Lutheran West does it. There seems to be a glaring double standard.
I think I get where you’re going with a “glaring double standard”. What small schools were there in the past that had a sudden influx of a roster of talented transfers that dominated home grown teams that everyone didn’t have issues with? I’m definitely interested to hear and compare the different instances since you perceive a double standard.

That's all fine and sounds good but you're kidding yourself if you think the aau all star team coached by an aau coach Richmond heights isn't recruiting. They just pulled a kid from Solon one of the nice schools you just mentioned. how are small d4 teams supposed to compete with that?
Open Enrollment

I think I get where you’re going with a “glaring double standard”. What small schools were there in the past that had a sudden influx of a roster of talented transfers that dominated home grown teams that everyone didn’t have issues with? I’m definitely interested to hear and compare the different instances since you perceive a double standard.
New Concord John Glenn

Berlin Hiland had an all Ohio transfer move in from Stasburg..
They won 2 titles with him... they don't sniff either of those titles without him..

so Hiland ruined legit state championships from the teams they beat..

bunch of people on hear have heads in the sand and refuse to acknowledge what Hiland did is exactly the same as what they claim Richmond Hts is doing..

Hypocrites

They won 2 titles with him... they don't sniff either of those titles without him..

bunch of people on hear have heads in the sand and refuse to acknowledge what Hiland did is exactly the same as what they claim Richmond Hts is doing..

Hypocrites
No one is turning a blind eye to that. Though they definetly could have won in 10-11 without the transfer. They smoked harvest prep and Continental at state

No one is turning a blind eye to that. Though they definetly could have won in 10-11 without the transfer. They smoked harvest prep and Continental at state
they would not have won in 2011...
probably would not have gotten out of the Regional if not District..

many many are turning a blind eye.. your 100% wrong with your entire post.

and you even given the transfer justification saying they would have won without him proves you are a hypocrite .. finding an excuse to give Hiland a pass but not Richmond Hts

they would not have won in 2011...
probably would not have gotten out of the Regional if not District..

many many are turning a blind eye.. your 100% wrong with your entire post.

and you even given the transfer justification saying they would have won without him proves you are a hypocrite .. finding an excuse to give Hiland a pass but not Richmond Hts
I think one issue is overall strength that some of these programs have amassed is the issue. Yes, many of the schools have recruited well that win state. In SW Ohio Tri Village is as guilty as many of these programs for taking on transfers.

The difference between Tri Village, Hiland and even Cornerstone, is they were loaded with transfers but barely or in Cornerstones case failed to win.

2013 VASJ was a forgone conclusion, and Richmond Heights this year is a forgone conclusion, or so it seems now. Building a team to the point you will win by 20-30 in state title games is where I have a problem with it. This system is not going to change, and that's fine, but fans can only be frustrated so long before tournament play no longer interests them due to no chance to overcome some of these handpicked teams.

With the NIL money on the table at the college level, I suspect this issue will actually get worse. If I'm a young player and a move from my current school to a different coach and program means 100k per year in college vs 20k , I'm likely making that change if I like the sport that much. None of this issue is the kids fault, so I wish all of them well, both the ones who grew up in the system, and those who have transferred into it.

I realize this is becoming the model of basketball whether I like it or not. But at some point, when enough common fans dislike it, attendance and interest will wane, and for me I'm there now. I will not take my personal time to go watch the inevitable.

Hypocrites
Bertha let it go. You seem very angry about the Strasburg transfer. Calling people names. Hiland also had one of the top players in the history of the program on those teams as well. From Berlin. He set a lot of records and still holds them. Would they have won without the transfer? Probably not but 1 transfer in 20 yrs is lot different then multiple transfers for multiple years. You seem really upset.

Bertha let it go. You seem very angry about the Strasburg transfer. Calling people names. Hiland also had one of the top players in the history of the program on those teams as well. From Berlin. He set a lot of records and still holds them. Would they have won without the transfer? Probably not but 1 transfer in 20 yrs is lot different then multiple transfers for multiple years. You seem really upset.
Your another Hypocrite saying it's OK because "it's one transfer" ..

well that "one transfer" lead to 2 state championships that were taken away from other schools

I'm not upset you hypocrite.. just trying to show how people like you think it is OK for a white school to do it but not a urban black school

Last edited:
I think one issue is overall strength that some of these programs have amassed is the issue. Yes, many of the schools have recruited well that win state. In SW Ohio Tri Village is as guilty as many of these programs for taking on transfers.

The difference between Tri Village, Hiland and even Cornerstone, is they were loaded with transfers but barely or in Cornerstones case failed to win.

2013 VASJ was a forgone conclusion, and Richmond Heights this year is a forgone conclusion, or so it seems now. Building a team to the point you will win by 20-30 in state title games is where I have a problem with it. This system is not going to change, and that's fine, but fans can only be frustrated so long before tournament play no longer interests them due to no chance to overcome some of these handpicked teams.

With the NIL money on the table at the college level, I suspect this issue will actually get worse. If I'm a young player and a move from my current school to a different coach and program means 100k per year in college vs 20k , I'm likely making that change if I like the sport that much. None of this issue is the kids fault, so I wish all of them well, both the ones who grew up in the system, and those who have transferred into it.

I realize this is becoming the model of basketball whether I like it or not. But at some point, when enough common fans dislike it, attendance and interest will wane, and for me I'm there now. I will not take my personal time to go watch the inevitable.
Great points.

I've been preaching this for years.

well that "one transfer" lead to 2 state championships that were taken away from other schools

I'm not upset you hypocrite.. just trying to show how people like you think it is OK for a while school to do it but not a urban black school
Ahh. There is the racism card. I was wondering where it was. You pull it out on most of your posts. It's your go to. I'm assuming you meant to say white instead of while. I just said in my earlier post how the RH kids actually play the game the right way by playing defense and sharing the ball but your so blinded by your anger you forget to read.

Segar was not a transfer he was a move in I know his mom she worked at Wayne dalton her mom and dad was divorced and he wanted to live with his mom that is far from what Richmond heights are doing. I believe we would have still won without him we were loaded both years and had plenty of height. That was won move in since 2012.

Segar was not a transfer he was a move in I know his mom she worked at Wayne dalton her mom and dad was divorced and he wanted to live with his mom that is far from what Richmond heights are doing. I believe we would have still won without him we were loaded both years and had plenty of height. That was won move in since 2012.
Transfer = Move In

same thing

Transfer = Move In

same thing
go look at the hiland schedule from 2011 and tell me they would not win without the transfer. Was it a shady move by him to transfer , probably but his mom lived in berlin his whole life and his dad in strasburg. you just a hater who salty

Hahaha! The MAC is easy - start going down the roster from these schools for the last 40 years and they all have the same last names year after year.
Not many transfers is correct, but there have been a few.

I'm not upset you hypocrite.. just trying to show how people like you think it is OK for a white school to do it but not a urban black school
Pathetic. Not at all a legitimate argument. I have no dog in the fight but it's difficult not to see a strong bias here.