Western Buckeye League 2021

I just want it to be known, I have immense respect for Wapak. They've been the standard bearer consistently in the league since 2010, and even before that in the dark ages you knew you were in for a fight. There were more than a couple good Defiance teams that were pushed to the limit by lesser Wapak team. Good kids, tough kids, and it's obvious that now that they've got proper coaching out of Frye and Moyer they maximize what they have.

I just start to have a problem when I read things like "rightful place at the top" or calling another team's deep run (and in this case, state title) lucky. IMO, yoi have to be great for more than a decade to think you're royalty. In this league, the blue bloods that I EXPECT to be in contention are St. Marys, Kenton, and OG. They're the programs going on 20+ years of consistentcy (much longer for SM, early 10s notwithstanding). We've seem the rest come and go. Wasn't long ago Defiance was a perennial contender, look at us now. Bath used to be there year in and year out. They hit rock bottom for a decade or more and are only now climbing out. Celina and Elida both made deep runs in the past.

This league has a way of humbling you and the minute you thing you "deserve" to be at the top without playing a game, you're in trouble. I truly thought 5-5 in 2009 was a blip and we'd be back. Now I'd settle for 5-5.

I just want it to be known, I have immense respect for Wapak. They've been the standard bearer consistently in the league since 2010, and even before that in the dark ages you knew you were in for a fight. There were more than a couple good Defiance teams that were pushed to the limit by lesser Wapak team. Good kids, tough kids, and it's obvious that now that they've got proper coaching out of Frye and Moyer they maximize what they have.

I just start to have a problem when I read things like "rightful place at the top" or calling another team's deep run (and in this case, state title) lucky. IMO, yoi have to be great for more than a decade to think you're royalty. In this league, the blue bloods that I EXPECT to be in contention are St. Marys, Kenton, and OG. They're the programs going on 20+ years of consistentcy (much longer for SM, early 10s notwithstanding). We've seem the rest come and go. Wasn't long ago Defiance was a perennial contender, look at us now. Bath used to be there year in and year out. They hit rock bottom for a decade or more and are only now climbing out. Celina and Elida both made deep runs in the past.

This league has a way of humbling you and the minute you thing you "deserve" to be at the top without playing a game, you're in trouble. I truly thought 5-5 in 2009 was a blip and we'd be back. Now I'd settle for 5-5.
At least Baseball and Basketball keeps you afloat. Wrestling, also?

This may be true but I would take the sustained success of Wapak over the last ten years over the flash in the pan season Van Wert had
This just keeps getting better and better. Recency bias is a hell of a drug when it comes to HS football. It's almost like he doesn't understand HS teams all go through phases of success.

I can't wait for my Skins to shock the league next year and return to their rightful place at the top!
Please publish said WBL bylaws that states the rightful place of any school.

I venture to say Wapak has a copy readily available right next to their Football State Championship trophy.

I'll wait right here while you track it down between study hall and getting your carpet square for the mid afternoon nap.

That irks Bellevue(rich history) and Shelby in regards to Norwalk.

Pretty sure we deal with that with Napoleon in Defiance. They have the rivalry lead, a great history....but we have the state title trophy.

What I'd call our number 2 rival just got their first, and I couldn't be happier for them.

As a league, and a state champion myself, (not so humble brag), I would take 1 title over 50 league championships.....

Whatever makes ya sleep at night their FootballBfan2'0'

Yup. We've had MAYBE 20 good years in the last 50 and only have 4 WBL titles. But we have 97 and no one can take it away.

Pretty sure we deal with that with Napoleon in Defiance. They have the rivalry lead, a great history....but we have the state title trophy.

What I'd call our number 2 rival just got their first, and I couldn't be happier for them.

Yup. We've had MAYBE 20 good years in the last 50 and only have 4 WBL titles. But we have 97 and no one can take it away.
For some reason, Napoleon's Playoff history is borderline abysmal.

For some reason, Napoleon's Playoff history is borderline abysmal.

IMO, their last 2 leagues were perfect for them. Talent wise, they aren't much better than the similar sized schools around them (Defiance, Bryan, Wauseon, even the Liberty Center and Archbold types). Hell even when we're 2-8, we're usually with a TD or 2 of them (this year not included, although even THAT was 0-0 at half.)

But the GBC was Findlay and 4 big schools that totally lost their way in football, and the NLL really only has a couple of decent programs.

So Napoleon ends up looking good going 7-3 against mostly D1s and 2s. But in reality in a tough league, they'd be 5-5 at best and wouldn't make it.

IMO, their last 2 leagues were perfect for them. Talent wise, they aren't much better than the similar sized schools around them (Defiance, Bryan, Wauseon, even the Liberty Center and Archbold types). Hell even when we're 2-8, we're usually with a TD or 2 of them (this year not included, although even THAT was 0-0 at half.)

But the GBC was Findlay and 4 big schools that totally lost their way in football, and the NLL really only has a couple of decent programs.

So Napoleon ends up looking good going 7-3 against mostly D1s and 2s. But in reality in a tough league, they'd be 5-5 at best and wouldn't make it.
I always thought if they could defeat Fremont Ross, Lima Sr., Marion Harding, and Sandusky, they shouldn't lose a home playoff game by nearly 3 scores (and shutout to boot) to the Eastwood Eagles.

Napoleons first 3 years in the league they went 4-3, 7-0, and 4-3...15-6 overall. In the 7 seasons since Napoleon is 22-27 in the NLL. They’re record in 10 seasons is 37-33 I don’t know where you get this idea they’re having outstanding success. Defiance is 3-7 vs Napoleon over that time.

Crapoleon's history is so fraudulent. Beat up on way smaller NWOAL teams for decades, then rack up computer points against larger programs past their glory years (GBC) or in a historically weak league (NLL). 6-12 playoff record against similar-sized good programs and only once won more than one playoff game in the same season.

Elida improved a lot with a new coach this year. Typically see that impvement increase in year 2. Are they a contender?

On the flip side. Bath continues to underperformed. This was supposed to be "the year." Making that 7-3 season this decade look like an anomaly. What is the problem there?

Shawnee hired Cooper and continues mediocrity, granted improvement since the likes of constant 0-10 seasons. Is it the athletes or is it lack of being able to recruit? Both?

Crapoleon's history is so fraudulent. Beat up on way smaller NWOAL teams for decades, then rack up computer points against larger programs past their glory years (GBC) or in a historically weak league (NLL). 6-12 playoff record against similar-sized good programs and only once won more than one playoff game in the same season.
Their non-confidence slate during GBC days was easier compared to others, and hence, they were fresher as the season progressed.

Gah, grow up everyone. Van Wert and Wapak are both great programs right now. 10-15 years ago you both sucked, so be happy and learn some humility. Even OG went 3-7 not long ago, of course they were down to their 4th string QB who was a freshman....but it's a cycle folks.

These kids and coaches work their butts off and even 0-10 teams deserve your respect. I think the coaching has improved greatly in the WBL which is why its so competitive now. It's as much or more about the athletes you have right now that determines where you are going to finish in the league.

Van Wert has had 2 elite athletes at QB for the last 4 years, and an absolute stud in Johnson at WR this year, which put them over the top. He made huge plays in the championship game, along with Treece. Hard to replace elite talent, trust me. Not sure an "Honorable Mention" DE is going to be able to do the same, but getting a lot of starters back is huge. If OG puts our honorable mention LB at QB, is anyone going to be worried?

Wapak is possibly the best coached team in the league, along with the largest talent pool to choose from and a great foundation given to you by Doug Frye. He taught you guys how to work hard by kicking you in the butt, and that's what you needed. Then Coach Moyer came and brought great schemes and coaching along with an equally great work ethic. If you only had a passing game...

I'm going to put it out there that OG does more with less than anyone in the WBL. It is the smallest school in the league, with only Bath being close to them in enrollment. I've seen them start guys that probably wouldn't even play special teams in some programs - and win with them. I've seen opponents walk out on the field and said, "holy crap they are huge!" and somehow OG finds a way to beat them, sometimes even destroy them.

If OG can find a couple kids that can make plays with the ball next year, they are going to be nasty.

On a side note, I'd love to hear what Coach Cooper has to say about the WBL now, compared to where it was when he left in the early 2000's.

As a Wapak fan I was very happy to see Van Wert win a state title shows the WBL is a tough league. I would take a state title over a league championship anyday. Im pretty damn sure if Wapak was to win State the town would need the national guard to stop the celebration. I saw someone post about our win over Trotwood was a fluke. Those kids fought like warriors with our running back Kaeck playing with a busted shoulder and went on a nice playoff run going down to one of the best teams in the state. This is a 2021 thread so lets talk about what we expect to see this year.

Wapak I feel has alot of talent coming back and some coming up. The offense will go as Golet goes which means staying healthy for the season. We have a few solid running backs also with Rogers and Meckstroh. The Oline loses some but always seem to find the next guy to step up. The defense should be really good with Seifring, Houser, Rohstofer, Meckstroh, amd Brown all back. The biggest what if is the Man child #69 Brown. This kid has imposing size but he needs to learn size isnt going to win every battle. A year in the weight room and more experience and grow some more mean bones this kid could get some looks his senior year. I hate to say it but Im one of those guys who yells at Moyer alot but he has kept the ship running full speed after Frye left and has pretty much won titles about every year he has coached us. The stadium looks incredible and hope to be back in our reserve seats in 2021. If I left some players out please feel free to add to this thread on who else will step up.

As a Wapak fan I was very happy to see Van Wert win a state title shows the WBL is a tough league. I would take a state title over a league championship anyday. Im pretty damn sure if Wapak was to win State the town would need the national guard to stop the celebration. I saw someone post about our win over Trotwood was a fluke. Those kids fought like warriors with our running back Kaeck playing with a busted shoulder and went on a nice playoff run going down to one of the best teams in the state. This is a 2021 thread so lets talk about what we expect to see this year.

Wapak I feel has alot of talent coming back and some coming up. The offense will go as Golet goes which means staying healthy for the season. We have a few solid running backs also with Rogers and Meckstroh. The Oline loses some but always seem to find the next guy to step up. The defense should be really good with Seifring, Houser, Rohstofer, Meckstroh, amd Brown all back. The biggest what if is the Man child #69 Brown. This kid has imposing size but he needs to learn size isnt going to win every battle. A year in the weight room and more experience and grow some more mean bones this kid could get some looks his senior year. I hate to say it but Im one of those guys who yells at Moyer alot but he has kept the ship running full speed after Frye left and has pretty much won titles about every year he has coached us. The stadium looks incredible and hope to be back in our reserve seats in 2021. If I left some players out please feel free to add to this thread on who else will step up.

Personally I think Wapak beating Trotwood was more impressive than any of Van Wert's playoff wins.