Week 9: StX (7-1) at St. Ignatius (4-4)

Crazy part is without the turnovers, could have been a running clock. Didn't see this result coming but might make week 11 and 12 etc more interesting.

I wasn't very impressed with X offense. Have they been this vanilla all year? Lowest point total for X this year
X looked very ordinary on both sides, completely flat (only could watch second half). Offense is usually much more dynamic, having the 3 year starting LT out hurts. The X OC makes awful play calls in pressure situations. Ignatius looked like the Ignatius people expect. Impressive win.

X looked very ordinary on both sides, completely flat (only could watch second half). Offense is usually much more dynamic, having the 3 year starting LT out hurts. The X OC makes awful play calls in pressure situations. Ignatius looked like the Ignatius people expect. Impressive win.
That might help explain why X QB rolled right always and was constantly being chased. I think other than a couple better teams, D 1 may have a bunch of parity this year

Ignatius up to #6 in region, per Eitel.
And now Moeller slides above X for the #1 spot in region 4.
Moeller plays a 7-1 Martin Luther King (Detroit, MI) and X plays Eagle's Landing Christian Academy (McDonough, GA), who has gone 2-5 against a brutal schedule of top teams in the state.
I'd guess a win next week by Moeller would lock the #1 spot.

Even with all the turnovers (and I blame the QB for the muffed hand-offs to Lenanhan, It was by far the best game the QB had this year.
That QB play in the losses would have had this team at 8-1 or 9-0. Major D1 parity this year. Medina might be exception, but, with Mentor down, not totally sure yet

Game Stats

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 9.43.58 PM.png

?

Calling me out about what? Did you forget Ignatius lost to SHS?
And mentor, eds and moeller. Did you watch the game today? The QB play of today would have beat 3 or all 4. Worry about your team and your loss. Springfield wouldn't sniff 5-4 with this schedule. Move along, this thread here isn't about Springfield or you

And mentor, eds and moeller. Did you watch the game today? The QB play of today would have beat 3 or all 4. Worry about your team and your loss. Springfield wouldn't sniff 5-4 with this schedule. Move along, this thread here isn't about Springfield or you
I'm not worried about anything. And, I believe Ignatius' qb today was the qb they used against SHS. The one who threw the pick 6. So, I'm quite familiar with him.

I'm not worried about anything. And, I believe Ignatius' qb today was the qb they used against SHS. The one who threw the pick 6. So, I'm quite familiar with him.
His play was absolutely not the same today as it was since last year. Those are the facts, so, actually no you aren't familiar. But, it is irrelevant

His play was absolutely not the same today as it was since last year. Those are the facts, so, actually no you aren't familiar. But, it is irrelevant
Of course his play was not the same today. He wasn't playing SHS. Obviously, he was able to function much better against the defense he faced today. Doesn't surprise me in the least.

Of course his play was not the same today. He wasn't playing SHS. Obviously, he was able to function much better against the defense he faced today. Doesn't surprise me in the least.
You truly are clueless when evaluating anything. It wasn't just against Springfield, hence why I said since LAST YEAR. Run along

Can the discussion please return to the Ignatius - X game? If there is nothing left to say, let's leave the bickering to Stark County. Here are the video highlights of the entire game from SIBN:

Last edited:
You truly are clueless when evaluating anything. It wasn't just against Springfield, hence why I said since LAST YEAR. Run along
And?? What's the point? You say he played better yesterday against X than he did in the past including the SHS game where he threw the pick 6. And I agreed. So, there's nothing to argue or bicker about. Get off the rag.

?

Quite a job of sandbagging by the Cats fans through out the week. But seriously, is there a play in the Ignatius playbook when the ball is on the one or two where the QB lines up over center and you have two fullbacks lined behind him to push the QB over the goal line?
YOU were ONE of them-- you've written Kyle's epitaph already more times than I can count.

Crazy part is without the turnovers, could have been a running clock. Didn't see this result coming but might make week 11 and 12 etc more interesting.

I wasn't very impressed with X offense. Have they been this vanilla all year? Lowest point total for X this year
Actually-- THAT is the crazy part-- even if Ig had scored another TD (instead of turning it over inside the 5-yard line), Ig would have had 35 points-- and then taking two TDs (off of short fields) away from X, you have (carrying things to extremes) a 35-7 Ig win-- STILL, no running clock-- not sure how you figured that one.

As for X's offense-- the play-calling was a total head-scratcher-- there were times (one important example being the mid-field sequence just before half) when X should have just lined up and given Kellom the ball twice (with 3rd and 3)-- instead, X tried a bunch of silly plays, gave the ball back to Ig, and allowed a game-tying TD before the half. There were the stupid "Wildcat" formations inside the 5-yard line (which fortunately did not end up costing X a TD)-- and the direct snap to the TE on a crucial short yardage situation (which DID end up costing X a possession); X's lack of running Kellom enough, and not getting the ball downfield enough to X's best WR and the TEs cost it dearly. In sum, it was NOT one of Coverdale's finest days... Not sure how much the loss of the starting OT hurt X's running game-- maybe that's why they got away from the run.

That said, Ig has an excellent defense, when they come to play with a high energy level-- as they CLEARLY did for this game. I've been saying that the Ig defense that played against Ed would make this a close game-- and it DID... what I did NOT count on was the Ig QB being able to throw it downfield so successfully-- Ig scored more than I anticipated-- but those scores were not flukes-- X's defensive secondary was exposed (and not for the first time this year-- in fact, it's pretty much the same story any time the opposing team has an accurate vertical passing game-- when Elder throws it downfield well, X struggles to hold Elder in check). If Lakota West had a decent passing QB, X would REALLY have something to worry about. We'll have to see if the Moeller QB that played against Ed can cause X that much difficulty, in a potential playoff matchup. Certainly, the Ed QB would be a danger man for X's defense, as would Springfield's QB, as would Medina's QB... much less worried by Pick Central's Stone Age offense. As for Marysville, New Albany, and Upper Arlington-- who knows?-- X can let Pick Central and Springfield sort those out.

But right now, any X concerns about those teams are all premature-- X has a LOT to work on-- starting with defensive secondary coverage and OL play. I still like X's chances in the playoffs-- but things look a lot less clear-cut than they did ~3 weeks ago.

Definitely. Team to beat.

Looking at those couple teams behind cats, as long as cats win next week, they shouldn't be any worse than 6. As of now would be playing at Byers against Strongsville
Why not play a "home game" against Strongsville at Strongsville?;)

The 6 for 12 (50%) on 3rd downs sticks out for me-- a LOT of those were Lenehan doing what Lenehan does-- but Pfaff completed some BIG throws on 3rd down, too! X's defense has not given up 3rd down conversions that often to anyone this year (and, IMO, SHOULD NOT have against Ig, either-- but, Ig made the plays, so it's hard to argue with that... I'd certainly hope that X's defense would show better in a rematch-- I KNOW that X's offense would show better.)

Muresan has come out of nowhere. Deep threat the Cats desperately need.
Up till now, we've been told that the Ig receivers were either clueless or hopeless (or both)... it did NOT seem that way Saturday.