Week 9: StX (7-1) at St. Ignatius (4-4)

Up till now, we've been told that the Ig receivers were either clueless or hopeless (or both)... it did NOT seem that way Saturday.
One of them just came out nowhere. The others played their best game all year.

I still think X will be in the title game. I still think Ignatius will not be in the title game.

Actually-- THAT is the crazy part-- even if Ig had scored another TD (instead of turning it over inside the 5-yard line), Ig would have had 35 points-- and then taking two TDs (off of short fields) away from X, you have (carrying things to extremes) a 35-7 Ig win-- STILL, no running clock-- not sure how you figured that one.

As for X's offense-- the play-calling was a total head-scratcher-- there were times (one important example being the mid-field sequence just before half) when X should have just lined up and given Kellom the ball twice (with 3rd and 3)-- instead, X tried a bunch of silly plays, gave the ball back to Ig, and allowed a game-tying TD before the half. There were the stupid "Wildcat" formations inside the 5-yard line (which fortunately did not end up costing X a TD)-- and the direct snap to the TE on a crucial short yardage situation (which DID end up costing X a possession); X's lack of running Kellom enough, and not getting the ball downfield enough to X's best WR and the TEs cost it dearly. In sum, it was NOT one of Coverdale's finest days... Not sure how much the loss of the starting OT hurt X's running game-- maybe that's why they got away from the run.

That said, Ig has an excellent defense, when they come to play with a high energy level-- as they CLEARLY did for this game. I've been saying that the Ig defense that played against Ed would make this a close game-- and it DID... what I did NOT count on was the Ig QB being able to throw it downfield so successfully-- Ig scored more than I anticipated-- but those scores were not flukes-- X's defensive secondary was exposed (and not for the first time this year-- in fact, it's pretty much the same story any time the opposing team has an accurate vertical passing game-- when Elder throws it downfield well, X struggles to hold Elder in check). If Lakota West had a decent passing QB, X would REALLY have something to worry about. We'll have to see if the Moeller QB that played against Ed can cause X that much difficulty, in a potential playoff matchup. Certainly, the Ed QB would be a danger man for X's defense, as would Springfield's QB, as would Medina's QB... much less worried by Pick Central's Stone Age offense. As for Marysville, New Albany, and Upper Arlington-- who knows?-- X can let Pick Central and Springfield sort those out.

But right now, any X concerns about those teams are all premature-- X has a LOT to work on-- starting with defensive secondary coverage and OL play. I still like X's chances in the playoffs-- but things look a lot less clear-cut than they did ~3 weeks ago.
Am I incorrect that all of X points were after turnovers? Yes, the math on what could have been a running clock, hypothetically, does workout. Do I think the team is a running clock better, no, but that team was NOT what I was expecting to see at all

Am I incorrect that all of X points were after turnovers? Yes, the math on what could have been a running clock, hypothetically, does workout. Do I think the team is a running clock better, no, but that team was NOT what I was expecting to see at all
One Ig turnover was an interception of a long pass on X's side of the field-- at (I believe) the ~45-yard line-- hardly a short field with no drive down the field to score the touchdown -- therefore, the turnover was not really a consideration. It wouldn't have mattered if Ig had punted the ball or thrown the ball for an interception to that point-- that was not really a turnover that led to a short-field touchdown-- it still required an X drive from past mid-field... or else we could be saying that one of Ig's TDs after those short punts into the wind (where Ig got the ball at midfield) was the equivalent of "points after a turnover"-- so, No, the math is not correct, unless you consider a turnover in the other team's half as "points after turnovers". Would you consider it "points after a turnover", if X had driven the length of the field (95+ yards) after Lenehan's fumble?-- I would not. I would consider the first two X scores (on turnovers inside the Ig ~30-yard line) to be points after turnovers.

As for the team you saw-- it was not the X offense that we have seen this year. I give a LOT of credit for that to the Ig defense-- which is MUCH better than most Ig alums have been giving it credit for. I put some blame on X's play calling. I put some blame (not sure how much) on the loss of a key OL (LT, I believe)-- perhaps that is why X's QB had less time to throw Saturday than he has had all year; perhaps that had something to do with X's running game being less effective than it has been all year.

Ignatius WRs …

Muresan certainly has come on to make big plays, starting with the St. Edward game. During the first 6 games, he did not get much playing time or when he did, not many if any passes were thrown his way.

Tompkins made big catches vs. St X and he’s been pretty reliable for most of the season. He had more catches in the Springfield and Euclid games and the latter was his best game this season.

However, the other Wildcat WRs and TE did not have good games vs X – I recall at least 3 dropped passes and X’s first interception was because the Ignatius WR bobbled the pass and X’s Kemper picked it right from him. One could say that the hits by the X defenders caused those dropped passes – fair enough, but those passes still could have been held onto.

Regarding X - after watching the game broadcast on ESPNX again …

I read the comments that a key Bombers’ OLineman was out - that is somewhat true .. for the 4th quarter. Collins (#74 – a 3 star and ranked #31 recruit for ‘22 in Ohio) played the entire 1st half and most of the 3rd quarter. He left after being hobbled on that 3rd and inches play when X’s #18 went under center for the sneak that failed. Score was 14-14 and then after the X punt, Ignatius scored on its next possession to take the lead 21-14. #69 Fogler took Collins’ place.

According to X’s stats – Kellom had 54 yards on 14 carries or 3.3 ypc. Kellom had a 27 yard run behind #69 Fogler in the 4th quarter to set up X’s last TD. Take that away, Kellom had 27 yards on 13 carries or 2.0 ypc. Other than that one 27 yd run, Kellom was bottled up by the Wildcat defensive line and LBs the entire game.

IMO, X has the most creative, dynamic offensive system in Ohio HS football. The Bombers are multi-dimensional and are balanced/very good in both the run and pass (Medina also has a very good offense based on its 5 wide-out scheme, although its strength of its passing attack is because of the 5 star QB, Drew Allar .... who attended the Ignatius-X game Saturday).

Again IMO, give credit to the Defensive scheme and game plan that Ignatius coaches deployed for this game vs X. Post-game, many of the kids gave credit to coach Franzinger and the assistants for the game plan – the kids were ready for and made the good adjustments to counter a great X offense. I am sure that the coaches studied last season’s game video and came up with a better plan to defend against the Bombers. Maybe X’s play calling was a factor, but perhaps the Ignatius game plan caused challenges for X's offense too. I am certain that there is quite a chess match between these 2 schools’ coaching staffs as there is a lot of mutual respect.

Finally, I only hope the Ignatius offensive coaching staff is studying the Bombers offensive system and incorporating some of it into the Wildcat playbook.