Week 6: Elder

5 Defensive Players Going Both Ways getting gassed?

Possible Solutions
1. Find more non starter blockers that can get the job done
9 Candidates: Ben Lehman, AJ Golden, Ty Stegbauer, Matt Schulte, Matt Hoerst, Ben Boerger, Zach Hertzman and PJ Roberson

2. Herbie's offense take 1 or 2 more posessions or rotate in for more snaps during a possession

3. Install Colerain’s famed triple option

I like all of the solutions but #3 is my favorite.
With 3 more than capable RBs in Vollmer, Britt and Napier the triple option would be deadly
And X's new offensive line coach (Jeff Woltz) was at Colerain for a long time running the triple O
Sounds like they're going with #1 and #2.
Still pushing for the triple option

Easy there grappler dad
Elder offense's success is dependent on a single player and the defense is, well, uh, hmmm, an Elder defense
Not a good recipe for post season success
Elder has had pretty good post season success. If X is going to continue to Play Lineman every play of every Game that will really impact the entire Team come Playoff time. Time for X to change to, Little Blue Line?

Sounds like they're going with #1 and #2.
Still pushing for the triple option
The "smash mouth" approach worked last week with the exception of gassing the defensive players playing both sides of the ball. Rotate some second team defensive players for some reps to keep everyone fresh for four quarters.
Offensively, keep them on their heals running a mix of QBs, RBs & WRs. Simplify the pass game while continuing to run some smash mouth!

Hopefully you can take you clock operator with you for your post season recipe for success.
I missed something here-- are Elder fans suggesting there was some kind of unfairness with the clock operation in the game last week against X? I do remember 1 SECOND being put back on the clock (from 0:09 to 0:10) by the head official (nothing done by the clock operator on his own), during X's last drive, after a play-- but that hardly amounted to a difference in the game's outcome-- as X ended up kicking the FG with 0:06 on the clock... please elaborate...

As a side note, regarding the scoreboard:
I like having these new sideline markers that automatically and (often) immediately calculate the yards to go on each down-- but it was kind of absurd at times, last week (which is the first time I've seen X use these at a game), because there were a few downs where the sideline marker would say one thing (e.g.- 3rd and 4), the scoreboard operator would have something different on the board (e.g.- 3rd and 3), and the stadium announcer would announce something else (e.g.- 3rd and 5)... It seems to me, NOW, with these new sideline markers, that the scoreboard operator (at least), and the stadium announcer could (and SHOULD) be doing what anybody else in the stadium can (and probably will) do-- just read the automated calculation from the sideline marker, and use THAT as the original/best source for the down and distance indication on a given play-- instead of muddying the waters and confusing the crowd, with their own personal interpretation of how far the offense has to go, for a first down.

I missed something here-- are Elder fans suggesting there was some kind of unfairness with the clock operation in the game last week against X? I do remember 1 SECOND being put back on the clock (from 0:09 to 0:10) by the head official (nothing done by the clock operator on his own), during X's last drive, after a play-- but that hardly amounted to a difference in the game's outcome-- as X ended up kicking the FG with 0:06 on the clock... please elaborate...

I like having these new sideline markers that automatically and (often) immediately calculate the yards to go on each down-- but it was kind of absurd at times, last week (which is the first time I've seen X use these at a game), because there were a few downs where the sideline marker would say one thing (e.g.- 3rd and 4), the scoreboard operator would have something different on the board (e.g.- 3rd and 3), and the stadium announcer would announce something else (e.g.- 3rd and 5)... It seems to me, NOW, with these new sideline markers, that the scoreboard operator (at least), and the stadium announcer could (and SHOULD) be doing what anybody else in the stadium can (and probably will) do-- just read the automated calculation from the sideline marker, and use THAT as the original/best source for the down and distance indication on a given play-- instead of muddying the waters and confusing the crowd, with their own personal interpretation of how far the offense has to go, for a first down.
The clock mistake came much earlier - about 15 seconds didn't come off between plays right before Elder scored. But it was when Elder had the ball. Not sure what happened. Don't think the clock operator was smart enough to realize that those seconds would end up mattering more to X than Elder in the end.

The St. X announcers on the local radio broadcast started talking about the Clock Running immediately when Clock didn’t stop when they felt it should have. Not sure if these announcers were right or wrong but they did discuss it. Those 2 X Announcers do a great job and are pretty knowledgeable. The 1 Elder Announcer is downright awful and doesn’t know a whole lot about Football. Everyone can tell this as soon as he opens his mouth! I’d like to think that the Clock,Scoreboard operators at the big schools who usually been around awhile know what they are doing!

Elder has had pretty good post season success. If X is going to continue to Play Lineman every play of every Game that will really impact the entire Team come Playoff time. Time for X to change to, Little Blue Line?
Easy with the Little Blue Line talk. It has been 20 years since the Elder Oompa Loompas have won the State Title and it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Easy with the Little Blue Line talk. It has been 20 years since the Elder Oompa Loompas have won the State Title and it isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Pretty sure Smarty isn't a die-hard Elder guy. He doesn't care either way.

And the Elder fans and daddies are more concerned with their kids playing than winning state titles. Likely why they won't win one, because the talent upgrade needed will never be allowed to happen because all the Johnny Elders of yesteryear will throw hissy fits.

Last edited:
Elder was close to being D2 just few yrs ago and still has never had to play Lineman Both ways for an entire Game. For a School the size of X that’s embarrassing!

Elder had a run inside the 5 yard line that wasn't a first down. The clock stopped and didn't restart until the snap. It ended up saving X about 15-20 seconds that should have been gone from their tying FG drive. Some at the game claimed the near official on the X sideline stopped it in error, but quickly gave the signal to keep it running. I wasn't there, I was watching the X broadcast on Boxcast and the students also mentioned the clock stopped and seemed to know it shouldn't have been.

At any rate the clock stopped. Some felt it was done on purpose to save X time. Shoe on the other foot, I'm sure some X people would have felt the same way. Game is over though, time to move on, hope both teams can get healthy (Elder is extremely banged up, some of it from that X game) and potentially see one another in week 11 or 12.

Yes, like always.
I’m not sure if it’s always unfair for the Elder faithful but they ALWAYS have an excuse. Look at the last 2 lines of the above post. Moeller Wins it will be, oh Elder battled and barely lost but they were extremely banged up from X Game. Refs Sucked. Moeller cheats/recruits blah blah blah! Thank God the Elder Football Players are tougher than most of their Yappi supporters! Go Panthers!!!

Bet you anything more sophomores are going to be on the field before the end of the season. It is just a matter of time. Too much talent in the sophomore class to keep those guys off the field
About 35 players see the varsity field....
16 Seniors: O’Malley, Napier, Bennett, Folke, Beck, Weber, Cengia, Golden, TStegbauer, Kautzmann, JKattus, Klare, Jennings, McClatchey, Brice, Hammond
11 Juniors: Herbstreit, Sulfsted, TKattus, Betts, Shamsi, Seymour, Lehman, Schulte, Strayhorn, Bishop, Maxam
8 Sophomores: DVollmer, Britt, SStegbauer, Reilly, Hester, Clapper, ZaHarvey, Taylor

I've watched a few JV games and they are a solid team even without the above sophomores but I'm not sure any of them could take P/T from the 35 players listed.

Next Season
OLine
: TKattus, Hester, Abercrombie, Lynch, Fessel
DLine: Sulfsted, Boerger, Hertzman, Roberson, Hoerst
QB: Herbie and DVollmer
RB: Britt and McDonald
TE: Reilly and Wassler
WR: Betts, Taylor, Shamsi
LB: Clapper, Seymour, Lehman, Schulte
DB: Bishop, Reeder, Soloria, Horton
CB: Strayhorn, Harvey Bros
P: Maxam

16 Seniors: O’Malley, Napier, Bennett, Folke, Beck, Weber, Cengia, Golden, TStegbauer, Kautzmann, JKattus, Klare, Jennings, McClatchey, Brice, Hammond
11 Juniors: Herbstreit, Sulfsted, TKattus, Betts, Shamsi, Seymour, Lehman, Schulte, Strayhorn, Bishop, Maxam
8 Sophomores: DVollmer, Britt, SStegbauer, Reilly, Hester, Clapper, ZaHarvey, Taylor

I've watched a few JV games and they are a solid team even without the above sophomores but I'm not sure any of them could take P/T from the 35 players listed.
That may be so, but there are players on varsity that are NEVER given a chance to show what they can do.

Next Season
OLine
I think Reeder will continue to get bigger and may end up a LB or a D lineman (he's already tall and solid). Also Reeder has an older brother he's scout team RB now, wonder if he'll get to compete for some PT at RB. Stegebauer will get snaps at RB over McDonald and he (McDonald) may move to DB. August Betz should be in running at TE.

That may be so, but there are players on varsity that are NEVER given a chance to show what they can do.
This isnt true. I played for X in the late 2000's, early 2010s and saw plenty of guys win playing time in practice whether from working hard on scout team or proving it on special teams.

I think Reeder will continue to get bigger and may end up a LB or a D lineman (he's already tall and solid). Also Reeder has an older brother he's scout team RB now, wonder if he'll get to compete for some PT at RB. Stegebauer will get snaps at RB over McDonald and he (McDonald) may move to DB. August Betz should be in running at TE.
I've seen a couple JV games on film and I agree with you on Reeder...probably DL if he's able to add good weight. William Sweeney is another sophomore who could compete for reps next year. He jumps out on film. I heard McDonald could be more of a LB type ( Jet position ). He'll make plays wherever you put him.

Time will tell. And it is not always about taking P/T, often injuries and scheme play a role in this.

Next Season
OLine
Would like to see the Soloria kid on the field.

Last edited:
That game was a battle, my Panthers prevailed; however, St. X is the most physical team we played and has excellent athletes in the secondary. X is very good football team and it was great GCL game and atmosphere, the sophomore running QB is really good, I was glad to get the win and hopefully beat Moe this week. The Panthers are really good as well and it looks like Elder, X and Moe will be the best team in the region. All three of these teams can make a run at it. Ramsey is a really good coach, kids play hard

Anyone have any insight into the offensive gameplan this week? More of what we saw against Elder or back to the screens?

Next Season
OLine
I like the line up and the future looks bright but a little early to be talking about next year.
How many of the current varsity on that list that aren't seeing much PT end up seeing an increase this year? Any seniors that could step in and contribute?
The balance of the schedule isn't exactly a walk in the park and I'm not entirely sure relying solely on the "smash mouth" approach goes the distance. One would think some additional personnel changes are in the future if the preferred weekly outcome doesn't change.

I like the line up and the future looks bright but a little early to be talking about next year.
How many of the current varsity on that list that aren't seeing much PT end up seeing an increase this year? Any seniors that could step in and contribute?
The balance of the schedule isn't exactly a walk in the park and I'm not entirely sure relying solely on the "smash mouth" approach goes the distance. One would think some additional personnel changes are in the future if the preferred weekly outcome doesn't change.
And why are we still talking in Week 6?!? Let's move this over to Week 7!

This isnt true. I played for X in the late 2000's, early 2010s and saw plenty of guys win playing time in practice whether from working hard on scout team or proving it on special teams.
Well it's the 2020's and it ain't happening like that.

I’m not sure if it’s always unfair for the Elder faithful but they ALWAYS have an excuse. Look at the last 2 lines of the above post. Moeller Wins it will be, oh Elder battled and barely lost but they were extremely banged up from X Game. Refs Sucked. Moeller cheats/recruits blah blah blah! Thank God the Elder Football Players are tougher than most of their Yappi supporters! Go Panthers!!!
Refs, cheaters, and the other team playing music distracting them.

Elder players and coaches are top notch. The old school old dudes whine about everything, and the new school daddy ball guys don't care about anything but their kids getting playing time.

Neither group appreciates the coaches and players how they should.

Last edited:
Well it's the 2020's and it ain't happening like that.
I know players on the team now that weren't going to get much time this year that have grown into starting roles. Hell Vollmer wasn't going to play much at all, now he is carrying the ball 25 times in a game.