Week 6: Elder

The key sequence to me was when Vollmer had the long run in the 4th quarter to Elder's three or so yard line. At the time, X was up 21-17 with about 4:30 minutes to go. The drive stalled and the FG was missed. Elder went down the field to score a TD to go up 24-21. Had X scored a TD on the aforementioned drive and gone up 28-17, it may have sealed it. Elder's qb looks to be a strong kid who is difficult to sack.

You have got to be kidding, 2 of the three dline played the entire game offense and defense. They played their hearts out and deserve to be congratulated not chastised
The Coaches should be chastised for this! Those young men should not be asked to play an entire GCL Game in the trenches! What’s goin on that St. X had to ask Lineman to Play Both ways for the whole Game?

The key sequence to me was when Vollmer had the long run in the 4th quarter to Elder's three or so yard line. At the time, X was up 21-17 with about 4:30 minutes to go. The drive stalled and the FG was missed. Elder went down the field to score a TD to go up 24-21. Had X scored a TD on the aforementioned drive and gone up 28-17, it may have sealed it. Elder's qb looks to be a strong kid who is difficult to sack.
Agreed. Why they put 44 in at QB as a sophomore as opposed to Napier who is a senior, was better in that set, and was fired up from the previous TD is just beyond me. This team is incredibly aggravating right now.

You have got to be kidding, 2 of the three dline played the entire game offense and defense. They played their hearts out and deserve to be congratulated not chastised
No. Actually, it is embarrassing that St. X has to do that...the coaches shouldn't rely on players to play both ways at such a high talented school. I don't know what has gotten into Specht these past two years and I am concerned with where the program is going.

However, there is hope for the offense with Vollmer under center. I love the kids energy and grit throughout the game. Specht just needs to trust him and let him throw the ball more. It would make the offense complete with Vollmer leading the offense for the rest of the year. See ya later Herbstreit...it is the Vollmer show.

No. Actually, it is embarrassing that St. X has to do that...the coaches shouldn't rely on players to play both ways at such a high talented school. I don't know what has gotten into Specht these past two years and I am concerned with where the program is going.

However, there is hope for the offense with Vollmer under center. I love the kids energy and grit throughout the game. Specht just needs to trust him and let him throw the ball more. It would make the offense complete with Vollmer leading the offense for the rest of the year. See ya later Herbstreit...it is the Vollmer show.
Agree with all of this. Don’t think last part will happen though. Specht will still get Herbstreit some snaps in every Game the rest of the season imo. Will some of the Elder-X Highlights be shown during MNF broadcast?

I dont think we have ever seen Specht play this many kids both ways during the regular season as long as I can remember. Specht generally doesn't do this until the playoffs or sometimes in the past he would maybe play 1 or 2 guys both ways. I think it speaks as to how important Specht thought it was for StX to try and win this game. I expect we are going to see more sophomores on the field for Varsity as the season goes on because Specht is going to give them a chance to start building for next season.

Four things happened there that you don't want to see, as an X fan:
1) #3 was caught from behind, in the open field-- that happened twice on long runs-- but kudos to those Elder players for not giving up on both of those plays; (by the way, I thought #3 got tackled at the ~2- or 3-yard line-- but the refs spotted the ball at the ~5-yard line-- one of several very questionable spots during the game)
2) X gets to 3rd and 1 at the goal line, and runs a Wildcat formation with the smaller RB (#44) instead of the bigger back (#3 or #4)-- seems like a poor decision, in hind sight.
3) Now, it's fourth and 1 at the half-yard line, and X decides to go for the TD, with the bigger back (#3) in the Wildcat formation, rather than kicking the FG to go up by 7-- but (as has happened all too often this season), the offense commits a false start penalty before the play-- we'll never know for sure, but I think X would have converted that 4th and a half-yard with the bigger RB in the game, had they been able to execute on offense... do that, and the game is essentially over.
4) X misses the (essentially PAT-length) FG on 4th and 6 from the 6-yard line; (somehow, that FG was missed, but a 41-yarder to tie the game with 2 seconds left was made)

Four things happened there that you don't want to see, as an X fan:
1) #3 was caught from behind, in the open field-- that happened twice on long runs-- but kudos to those Elder players for not giving up on both of those plays; (by the way, I thought #3 got tackled at the ~2- or 3-yard line-- but the refs spotted the ball at the ~5-yard line-- one of several very questionable spots during the game)
2) X gets to 3rd and 1 at the goal line, and runs a Wildcat formation with the smaller RB (#44) instead of the bigger back (#3 or #4)-- seems like a poor decision, in hind sight.
3) Now, it's fourth and 1 at the half-yard line, and X decides to go for the TD, with the bigger back (#3) in the Wildcat formation, rather than kicking the FG to go up by 7-- but (as has happened all too often this season), the offense commits a false start penalty before the play-- we'll never know for sure, but I think X would have converted that 4th and a half-yard with the bigger RB in the game, had they been able to execute on offense... do that, and the game is essentially over.
4) X misses the (essentially PAT-length) FG on 4th and 6 from the 6-yard line; (somehow, that FG was missed, but a 41-yarder to tie the game with 2 seconds left was made)
I completely agree. I also think we should be talking more about the fact that they let someone wear #1. From what I have heard, a large number of football alumni were very upset after seeing that on Friday night. Sure, the kid had a double number, but to be number #1 instead of some different number is against everything the program preaches. No one is bigger than the program, than the Long Blue Line, and to wear #1 is disrespectful to the entire alumni fan base as that has never happened as long as I can remember within the program. The #1 was empty and honored the managers who worked so hard and worked without getting the spotlight. The fact that this happened is a blemish on the program and goes against everything I thought the program stood for.

I completely agree. I also think we should be talking more about the fact that they let someone wear #1. From what I have heard, a large number of football alumni were very upset after seeing that on Friday night. Sure, the kid had a double number, but to be number #1 instead of some different number is against everything the program preaches. No one is bigger than the program, than the Long Blue Line, and to wear #1 is disrespectful to the entire alumni fan base as that has never happened as long as I can remember within the program. The #1 was empty and honored the managers who worked so hard and worked without getting the spotlight. The fact that this happened is a blemish on the program and goes against everything I thought the program stood for.
Good stuff. Especially coming from you of all people :LOL:

Good points, 4GX. # 3 may have been tracked down from behind due to being gassed. I can't remember the previous plays leading up to his long run but he probably figured in them. But yes, the Elder guys didn't give up - to their credit.

3-3 going into week 7. Do they win out and have momentum going into the playoffs ?

Dan Vollmer’s 281 yards fell just short of the Bomber all time yards rushing in a single game of 316 yards set in 1998 by Steve Sollman vs Colerain

His 321 all purpose yards was short of Brian Fitzgerald’s record of 378 yards set in 1990 vs Oak Hills

SmashMouth Offensive Sets

Coverdale rotated 2 groups of 3 blockers and 3 wildcat QBs in the smash mouth sets

Group 1 Blockers: Sulfsted and Hammond followed by Folke
Group 2 Blockers: Seymour and Clapper followed by Beck
Wildcat QBs: Vollmer, Britt and Napier

In Summary Group 1 was in for 37 plays and Group 2 was in for 21 plays

Caron Seymour in group 2 is the only 1 of the 6 players not a defensive starter

Good points, 4GX. # 3 may have been tracked down from behind due to being gassed. I can't remember the previous plays leading up to his long run but he probably figured in them. But yes, the Elder guys didn't give up - to their credit.

3-3 going into week 7. Do they win out and have momentum going into the playoffs ?
I don’t think X will Win out but can get keep some momentum on Offense that they had during the Elder Game. Be interesting to see how they Play it going forward.

5 Defensive Players Going Both Ways getting gassed?

Possible Solutions
1. Find more non starter blockers that can get the job done
9 Candidates: Ben Lehman, AJ Golden, Ty Stegbauer, Matt Schulte, Matt Hoerst, Ben Boerger, Zach Hertzman and PJ Roberson

2. Herbie's offense take 1 or 2 more posessions or rotate in for more snaps during a possession

3. Install Colerain’s famed triple option

I like all of the solutions but #3 is my favorite.
With 3 more than capable RBs in Vollmer, Britt and Napier the triple option would be deadly
And X's new offensive line coach (Jeff Woltz) was at Colerain for a long time running the triple O

The Bombers 9 Offensive Possessions

1st Half

1. Group 1 Blockers for 2 plays, then Herbie in on 3rd down (Punt)
2. Group 2 Blockers for 9 plays, then Group 1 for 8 plays (TD)
3. Group 2 for 4 plays (turnover on downs)
4. Herbie in for the 2 minute drill before halftime (Punt)

2nd Half
5. Group 1 for 4 plays, Group 2 for 4 plays, Group 1 for 5 plays (TD)
6. Group 2 for 4 plays and Group 1 for 9 plays (TD)
7. Group 1 for 5 plays to goal line (missed FG)
8. Herbie in for 2 minute drill before end of regulation (game tying FG)

OT
Group 1 in for 4 plays (TD)

I expect we are going to see more sophomores on the field for Varsity as the season goes on because Specht is going to give them a chance to start building for next season.
Not a chance.
The 6 senior starters on offense and the 7 senior starters on defense are a solid group.
Add in the 6 juniors and the 8 sophomore studs that play and it's a team that can make a run
Don't have to wait until next season to win a state title.

GO X!

With all the kids X has it should be very rare to have kids going both ways. Good luck the rest of the season. Hopefully Elder will not see you again in the playoffs.

With all the kids X has it should be very rare to have kids going both ways. Good luck the rest of the season. Hopefully Elder will not see you again in the playoffs.
Agree they should have more depth.

But I think they found something on the offensive end. It's pretty obvious that Vollmer needs to be out there in a significant capacity. Also kudos to Herbstreit. It likely wasn't a fun week for him, but responded when his number was called. If they can find a happy run/pass medium, they could turn this around.

Herbstreit will be fine
This will cause him and his offensive unit (3 WR, 1 RB and 1 TE) to focus even more on executing without turnover or penalty

In Summary Group 1 was in for 37 plays and Group 2 was in for 21 plays
So of the 132 plays from scrimmage
Hammond, Sulfsted and Folke were on the field for 111
And Clapper and Beck were on the field for 95

Grab some popcorn and a martini and watch the 21 plays Clapper was on offense
Absolutely abuses the Elder DBs

Maaaaan was feeding that guy his lunch

Those guys deserve medals for how hard they fought. Talk about heart!

Not a chance.
The 6 senior starters on offense and the 7 senior starters on defense are a solid group.
Add in the 6 juniors and the 8 sophomore studs that play and it's a team that can make a run
Don't have to wait until next season to win a state title.

GO X!
Bet you anything more sophomores are going to be on the field before the end of the season. It is just a matter of time. Too much talent in the sophomore class to keep those guys off the field.

Bet you anything more sophomores are going to be on the field before the end of the season. It is just a matter of time. Too much talent in the sophomore class to keep those guys off the field.
It's certainly a good spot to be in having that much talent coming up but not sure how they would fit with the current varsity squad. Should be interesting to see what happens when the JV season concludes.

You have the Harvey twins that have and can contribute. Stegbauer has been a solid RB at both levels all year. McDonald has played good at QB on JV, played RB last year so has some versatility going forward.

It's certainly a good spot to be in having that much talent coming up but not sure how they would fit with the current varsity squad. Should be interesting to see what happens when the JV season concludes.

You have the Harvey twins that have and can contribute. Stegbauer has been a solid RB at both levels all year. McDonald has played good at QB on JV, played RB last year so has some versatility going forward.
One of the Harvey's has been the starting corner the last 2 and 1/2 games in Strayhorn's absence

Supposedly a varsity team loses 1 game for every sophomore that starts.
8 Sophomores have played in Varsity games this season: Vollmer, Clapper, Taylor, Reilly, Spencer Stegbauer, Britt, Hester and Zar. Harvey.
Send me a PM of what other sophomores you think are varsity ready and may be better than the player already in that position. Thanks