Week 4: Elder(3-0) vs. St. Edward(3-0) Away

I agree except for going under Center, you don’t see that in college anymore and far less in the NFL. Springboro was Browne’s first game back from injury, hopefully they get him more involved.
Fair enough. Maybe it's the trend.

But when it's 4th and 1 or 3rd & inches, QB sneaks have worked in football for 75 years. Not sure why they cant work for Elder.

Ed’s is solid against the run. I hope Elder has a game plan to try and run the ball. The secondary is young and inexperienced and Elder should try and take advantage of their passing game. Look for the name Kyan Mason in the secondary. He started in the playoffs as a sophomore and will go both ways. He should get D1 interest as the year goes on.

Gideon and Kilbane are absolute game changers and will definitely chase Elders QB all game long just like they did all throughout last year.

Safe travels and hoping for a good game! I know St. Ed’s has a lot of respect for Elders program.

They can’t continue with the current OL, they’re simply not big enough. The exact same issues will pop up as last yr if they don’t do something.

They can keep Rolfes and Autenrieb in as blockers, but you need to find a way to get someone open in those 3 man patterns. Maybe they run more Bunch formation & Trips with motions & shifts to confuse Eds Secondary. IDK, I just don’t feel optimistic about this game at all, especially after Springboro.

What would you like them to do? Do they have better and bigger players walking the halls or not getting into games?

I sometimes have issues with play calling, but I always trust these coaches are playing the players they think give them the best chance at success.

What would you like them to do?
I can’t say too much without singling out individual players in a negative way. With the glut at DL, I do think Ginn could be moved to OL, which I know will take time for him to be coached up. However, I think if you throw him in there and move around some guys, you could get a better OL by the end of the season.

And the staff knows way more than me, but my understanding is a late injury kind of forced them to react quickly in filling out the OL. Maybe they are exploring other options, IDK, it’s all my opinion, nothing more.

Last edited:
But when it's 4th and 1 or 3rd & inches, QB sneaks have worked in football for 75 years. Not sure why they cant work for Elder.
They don’t work 100% of the time though.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a study on the success rates on 4th and 2 or less under center vs. from the gun.

They don’t work 100% of the time though.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a study on the success rates on 4th and 2 or less under center vs. from the gun.
On the last failed 4th and 1 at Springboro Schoster was hit before he got to the line of scrimmage. Also, why when we are in a victory formation do we take the snap from the gun instead of under center. It seems much more risky.

On the last failed 4th and 1 at Springboro Schoster was hit before he got to the line of scrimmage. Also, why when we are in a victory formation do we take the snap from the gun instead of under center. It seems much more risky.
you also have to consider the QB & Center don’t have a lot of practice with the exchange under Center. The bottom line is Elder’s OL should’ve been able to get enough push for the 1 yard needed on that 4th down. Schoster is not a small QB, just giving him enough room to fall forward probably would’ve sealed it.

Last edited:
I agree with your assessment against the team with the best coaching staffs. They know it's coming and have the personnel to stop it. Against lesser competition, and maybe against any competition, his philosophy seems to be, come and stop it.

I have a bigger beef with the TE. Elder has run out some stout tight ends the past few years. Larkins, Kirch, and this year Browne. All not just big, but all very athletic. Has Browne caught a pass this year or even been thrown to? That's a bigger mystery to me. Yes, I know they need to pass protect, but those guys are 400-500 yard guys and 5-6 TD guys. I don't get it.
Browne was out the first two weeks, but not sure if he was targeted at all last week. He did have a pass breakup on the final play.

Which is weird because they had those years with Rudolph, Welch, Viox, Ramstetter, etc. where the TE was a legit target in the passing game. Even before that, Craig Carey was a TE as a sophomore and junior. I know the talent hasn't necessarily been the same and as all-encompassing, but we're not that far removed from Elder really spreading the ball around to a bunch of targets while still maintaining a decent run game. It seems it's gotten watered down a bit.
Rudolph and Welch were used more in the passing game than Larkins and Kirch have been the past couple seasons. Ramstetter was used more as an actual wide receiver than a TE his Senior season, similar to how Royer was used.

Last edited:
Rudolph and Welch were used more in the passing game than Larkins and Kirch have been the past couple seasons. Ramstetter was used more as an actual wide receiver than a TE his Senior season, similar to how Rover was used.
TEs can be a great weapon, but you can’t run your Offense through them. E needs a 2nd WR to step up outside of Re.

Rudolph and Welch were used more in the passing game than Larkins and Kirch have been the past couple seasons. Ramstetter was used more as an actual wide receiver than a TE his Senior season, similar to how Rover was used.
That's what I mean to say. Royer was obviously different, but Larkins seemed like he probably could've done more in the passing game than he was allowed.

TEs can be a great weapon, but you can’t run your Offense through them. E needs a 2nd WR to step up outside of Re.
They're lacking the big over the top WR like Harp was last season, which complimented Ramsey in the middle and flats. Re seems to have taken more of Ramsey's role, but they haven't had anyone take Harp's role. Maybe Browne can do that?

Last edited:
They're lacking the big over the top WR like Harp was last season, which completed Ramsey in the middle and flats. Re seems to have taken more of Ramsey's role, but they haven't had anyone take Harp's role. Maybe Browne can do that?
I keep asking and nobody seems to know if Mirus will play this year. He played on varsity at the end of last yr as a Soph and caught a TD. Browne is certainly capable of doing what Harp did, by basically lining up in the Boundary and using his height to win a jump ball on some type of Fade/Sideline route.

Last edited:
Playing Ed's this week raises another year of questions of when or if we should have a OH/KY/IN league of games with the private schools year over year. We certainly are playing some of those teams annually today, however it still makes sense to look into.

That’s probably something they have to do. It’s frustrating knowing there’s guys with more size riding the bench. I know it’s not easy to just move around the OL, but I think they need to consider shuffling a few players around and inserting some of the current backups. Schoster did not have a lot of time on Friday and Springboro’s DL isn’t close to the size of Eds.

I also think they need to play Flowers at FS on passing situations.
Flowers is way to important to the offense to move to Safety. He's having a great year so far and dont want to see him taking more that he can chew. Coach the FS up and let them figure it out.

Flowers is way to important to the offense to move to Safety. He's having a great year so far and dont want to see him taking more that he can chew. Coach the FS up and let them figure it out.
You can’t coach speed. Why not let Meier get some touches? He’s a similar type of Back.

I believe Gutenkust is currently the FS, he’s doing an excellent job. However, on passing downs, your Corners need extra help and Flowers speed gives them that help in cvg. I don’t think many people realized how often Springboro’s WRs were open in one on one cvg last week. It was eye opening to see all of those plays where they bit on dbl moves and were beat deep but the Springboro QB couldn’t find them. A good QB has at least 3 TD passes over 50 yards last week.

Last edited:
Getting Hoernschemeyer back will be a big help to the defense. I think he's still out for a couple more weeks at least.

I think you can give up on Flowers on defense. They made their decision. They must think he can help the team more on offense.

They can’t continue with the current OL, they’re simply not big enough. The exact same issues will pop up as last yr if they don’t do something.

They can keep Rolfes and Autenrieb in as blockers, but you need to find a way to get someone open in those 3 man patterns. Maybe they run more Bunch formation & Trips with motions & shifts to confuse Eds Secondary. IDK, I just don’t feel optimistic about this game at all, especially after Springboro.

I think you got to trust the coaches are putting out the best they got to help the team win. These are not rookie coaches. They know what they are doing.

So your first comment was to just let all the Elder fans think Ed's has no D1 talent. Which is wrong. They have 2 bona fide studs in Kilbane and Gedeon. The secondary has speed, but no D1 yet that I'm aware of. Maybe an Ed's poster can let us know about the Ed's secondary.
This isn't the most star-studded St. Edward defense in terms of D1 prospects, but it might be one of the most athletic we've had in years. Lots of multi-sport athletes. Aside from Kilbane (Northwestern) and Gedeon (Coastal Carolina), the other players on defense that have D1 FBS offers to date are Troy Regovich (Class of '24 DL with a Kentucky offer) and Kyan Mason ('24 ATH with offers from Pitt, Kentucky, Charlotte, Miami U, Kent St., and UCONN).

The secondary has good speed and athleticism, but many are first year starters. Ed's runs out of a base nickel defense. Seniors Johnny Hutton and Cy Colvin are on the corners, senior Cam Drewery plays the nickel, and there a combination of safeties that see the field depending on down and distance. Junior Cam'rin Boone is also a guy that you will see rep at corner. He has D1 potential. Kyan Mason and Brad Eaton are typically the deep safeties. Mason plays both ways and, while undersized, is lighting fast and aggressive. Eaton is just a sophomore and is playing football for the first time since 7th grade. He is a standout wrestler (placed 5th at 138 as a freshman) and soccer player as well. Gave up soccer to put the pads on this year. The box safeties that will see the field are senior Seamus Kennedy and junior Eddie Andrews. This group has a high ceiling, but are suffering some growing pains at the moment. Slot receivers have been killing us so far and I expect Ramsey to go after this young group.

The two linebackers are junior Jonny Slaper (state placer at 190 in wrestling and baseball starter) and sophomore Nate Gregory (also a very good wrestler). They have been very impressive so far as first-year starters.

St. Ed's might have a bigger offensive line than UC.
Elder is going to have to use stunts & blitzes to create pressure. Confuse the Eds OL, make them unsure who they have to block. As good as this Defense has played this year, they’ve yet to force a turnover. They really need to steal a possession or two if they want to hang in the game

Last edited:
Playing Ed's this week raises another year of questions of when or if we should have a OH/KY/IN league of games with the private schools year over year. We certainly are playing some of those teams annually today, however it still makes sense to look into.
The 3 GCL teams, Eds, Ignatius, Ville X, Trinity, Cathedral, Chatard, Roncali, that’s way too brutal. I know it’s a b**ch & a half to put together a 10 game schedule, but Elder couldn’t survive something like that every year.

At a certain point, there’s diminishing returns to playing that level of competition week in/week out. Your team might be getting better but how many players are you going to lose to injury?

I think you got to trust the coaches are putting out the best they got to help the team win. These are not rookie coaches. They know what they are doing.
The change at OL happened right before the season. My hope is they’re still working on a combination that gives them more size. They’re just too small at certain positions and it’s creating the same issues as last yr. The Springboro game was bad in terms of Pass Protection. Schoster almost never had a clean pocket. To be fair, they did have moments, particularly in the 3rd qtr where they played with a fire under their a** and they started driving Springboro off the LOS. However, they also struggled through most of the 1st & 4th qtr getting push.

Has anyone heard info about parking at/near the stadium? I've heard that it's not very plentiful, but didn't know if there was any tips flying around.

Has anyone heard info about parking at/near the stadium? I've heard that it's not very plentiful, but didn't know if there was any tips flying around.
We have always parked on the street and the little bar across from the stadium is worth a stop before the game. After the game, I highly recommend The Winking Lizard wings place about 2 blocks north of the stadium. Aside from great wings, there is an extensive beer selection.

Last year, we parked and walked from St. Edward HS when Moe made the trip up. It was like a 10 min walk. Of course we were already at St. Edward, watching frosh and JV games so that made it easier.

Safe travels and good luck to Elder and their fans.