Week 4: Elder(3-0) vs. St. Edward(3-0) Away

ElderHSfan02

Elder will travel north on Saturday to play St. Ed's at Lakewood Stadium at 4:00pm. This game will get a lot of attention throughout the state with both teams sitting at 3-0. St. Ed's with their giant offensive line will be a big challenge for the Elder defensive front. Ed's speed and athleticism always causes Elder problems. Elder has historically not played very well when traveling north for this game.

St. Edward 35
Elder 24

I hope I'm wrong.

Bus trip - no chance. Better bring some redbull and pasta.

Eds - 31
E - 17

Honestly, I do think E will keep this interesting. I was dead wrong about PC, so who knows.

I don’t see any way this is close, Elder got exposed at Corner and the OL, they don’t have the guns to matchup vs Eds. The travel factor doesn’t help.

Like EF02, I hope I’m wrong. It gets old chalking this game up to an L every year. I understand Eds is going to be better on average, but it would be nice to get a few more wins in the series. That won’t happen until Elder gets more speed on the roster. Toledo Central Catholic pushed Eds in the 1st game this year, but they have loads of athletes that Elder doesn’t.

I think Ed's travels after school on Fridays and stays in hotel the night before game when traveling to Cincinnati. Elder takes the bus the morning of and returns after the game.
When it's 4-5 hours I would consider an overnight, like what St X did to Chicago.

Drive 4-5 hours, then step off and play - I can even see Omar's point there, especially against the best program in Ohio and a perennial national power.

Busgate.

Eds 24- Elder 10. I hope I am wrong. I see Elder struggling to move the ball consistently in this one.

I think the Oline will have its toughest test of the yr. Maybe leave Rolfes in at TE more to help block will be the gameplan.

Including the state title game in 2003 (Elder didn't play LSE in 2000-2002), Elder is 5-11 against LSE. Elder won at The Pit in '08, '14, and '16. The lone Panther win up north was in '09, 38-14. Of LSE's 11 wins against the Panthers, 6 have come up north and 5 have come at The PIt.

Eds 24- Elder 10. I hope I am wrong. I see Elder struggling to move the ball consistently in this one.

I think the Oline will have its toughest test of the yr. Maybe leave Rolfes in at TE more to help block will be the gameplan.
That’s probably something they have to do. It’s frustrating knowing there’s guys with more size riding the bench. I know it’s not easy to just move around the OL, but I think they need to consider shuffling a few players around and inserting some of the current backups. Schoster did not have a lot of time on Friday and Springboro’s DL isn’t close to the size of Eds.

I also think they need to play Flowers at FS on passing situations.

Whomever the Corners are on Saturday need to stop biting on double moves. Those are TDs if the QB can throw the ball deep with any level of accuracy, which thankfully Springboro’s QB couldn’t.

Ed's will be solid everywhere. Well coached too.

They can grind you, but they also have a sneaky good passing game. Honestly, they rarely have to air it out because their bread and butter is up-front, as typical of most of the good Ed's teams.

Defense isn't as dominant as in year's past with some of the D1 talent, but again, very capable and overall very good. They have guys that can bring the heat.

Elder can compete if they get 1-2 turnovers. Ed's is the better team, but this isn't a team that's going to go out and build a 28-0 lead on people. Elder having played Pick Central already is a big advantage. PC might be down, but Elder has already seen the size this year, and handled it well. I think this will be closer than people think.

Defense isn't as dominant as in year's past with some of the D1 talent, but again, very capable and overall very good. They have guys that can bring the heat.

Not true. They have at least 2 kids going D1 that I can find. I'm sure some of the juniors in the lineup may end up with offers down the road.

Michael Kilbane 6'4" 240 DE committed to Northwestern
Wyatt Gedeon 6'1" 235 LB/DE committed to Coastal Carolina

Elder is going to have to pass protect better than they did last year. I think Ramsey may try to commit to a run game more than last year and also commit to short passes as extension of run game. 3rd and 6 has a higher probability of success than 3rd and 15. Ball control and keep themselves in 2nd/3rd and manageable.

Not true. They have at least 2 kids going D1 that I can find. I'm sure some of the juniors in the lineup may end up with offers down the road.

💯 Those 2 players gave Moe problems in last year’s game.

Ed’s OL is also huge. Roebuck and the Armstrong brothers are P5 prospects. The OC Wolverton is a returning starter as well.

Rolfes is going to have to stay in and block as an extra OL.

Elder is going to have to pass protect better than they did last year. I think Ramsey may try to commit to a run game more than last year and also commit to short passes as extension of run game. 3rd and 6 has a higher probability of success than 3rd and 15. Ball control and keep themselves in 2nd/3rd and manageable.
They couldn’t run the ball vs Springboro, how could they possibly run the ball vs Eds? Also, if you put Reuter in the game, have him run more than the Zone Read or QB Draw, you’re not helping the Offense by basically telling the Defense which play is coming.

What's not true? I said they're very good but not as dominant as year's past. Of course they have several D1 signees, they have that every year.

Compared to year's past when they had 4-5 guys with high level offers - very good but not as dominant.

What's not true? I said they're very good but not as dominant as year's past. Of course they have several D1 signees, they have that every year.

Compared to year's past when they had 4-5 guys with high level offers - very good but not as dominant.

Oh I don't know. The part where you insinuated they don't have D1 players as in the past? Then, I easily proved you wrong with Kilbane and Gedeon. You also probably didn't know Kilbane had an offer from Fickell and chose Northwestern over UC.

Oh I don't know. The part where you insinuated they don't have D1 players as in the past?
I did nothing of the sort, that's just how you took it.

Meaning not guys like Oliver, Crawford, Dowell, and O'Malley who were just a cut above and dominant.

They have multiple D1 guys every year, I would never say they don't have D1 players. There's a reason they're the best in the biz - great talent, great coaching.

Last edited:
I did nothing of the sort, that's just how you took it.

Meaning not guys like Oliver, Crawford, Dowell, and O'Malley who were just a cut above and dominant.

So your first comment was to just let all the Elder fans think Ed's has no D1 talent. Which is wrong. They have 2 bona fide studs in Kilbane and Gedeon. The secondary has speed, but no D1 yet that I'm aware of. Maybe an Ed's poster can let us know about the Ed's secondary.

So your first comment was to just let all the Elder fans think Ed's has no D1 talent. Which is wrong. They have 2 bona fide studs in Kilbane and Gedeon. The secondary has speed, but no D1 yet that I'm aware of. Maybe an Ed's poster can let us know about the Ed's secondary.
That was not my intention, if that's how they took it, I can't control that.

It's pretty obvious St Eds has very good players every year, unless you've been under a rock.

Ramsey knows more than me or anyone else.

With that out of the way, Elder is predictable running the football. Ramsey complains about the inability to run but doesn’t keep the other team guessing. He basically tells the D what play is coming and expects perfect execution even when they load the box.

I’ll never understand not taking 5-10 snaps under center. I don’t understand never utilizing the TE. I don’t understand having one designated running QB. He tries to confuse with pre-snap motion but good teams aren’t fooled.

Ramsey is a offensive genius, I just don’t get the simplicity of running plays. It doesn’t work against good teams.

With that out of the way, Elder is predictable running the football. Ramsey complains about the inability to run but doesn’t keep the other team guessing. He basically tells the D what play is coming and expects perfect execution even when they load the box.

I’ll never understand not taking 5-10 snaps under center. I don’t understand never utilizing the TE. I don’t understand having one designated running QB. He tries to confuse with pre-snap motion but good teams aren’t fooled.

Ramsey is a genius, I just don’t get the simplicity of running plays.
I agree with your assessment against the team with the best coaching staffs. They know it's coming and have the personnel to stop it. Against lesser competition, and maybe against any competition, his philosophy seems to be, come and stop it.

I have a bigger beef with the TE. Elder has run out some stout tight ends the past few years. Larkins, Kirch, and this year Browne. All not just big, but all very athletic. Has Browne caught a pass this year or even been thrown to? That's a bigger mystery to me. Yes, I know they need to pass protect, but those guys are 400-500 yard guys and 5-6 TD guys. I don't get it.

I agree with your assessment against the team with the best coaching staffs. They know it's coming and have the personnel to stop it. Against lesser competition, and maybe against any competition, his philosophy seems to be, come and stop it.

I have a bigger beef with the TE. Elder has run out some stout tight ends the past few years. Larkins, Kirch, and this year Browne. All not just big, but all very athletic. Has Browne caught a pass this year or even been thrown to? That's a bigger mystery to me. Yes, I know they need to pass protect, but those guys are 400-500 yard guys and 5-6 TD guys. I don't get it.
Which is weird because they had those years with Rudolph, Welch, Viox, Ramstetter, etc. where the TE was a legit target in the passing game. Even before that, Craig Carey was a TE as a sophomore and junior. I know the talent hasn't necessarily been the same and as all-encompassing, but we're not that far removed from Elder really spreading the ball around to a bunch of targets while still maintaining a decent run game. It seems it's gotten watered down a bit.

Browne did not dress for the first two games due to injury. Royer, the 2020 tight end is currently a backup tight end at Ohio State

Ramsey is a offensive genius, I just don’t get the simplicity of running plays. It doesn’t work against good teams.
I agree except for going under Center, you don’t see that in college anymore and far less in the NFL. Springboro was Browne’s first game back from injury, hopefully they get him more involved.