Week 2: (1-0) D6 Coldwater @ (0-1) D1 Cincinnati Oak Hills

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know games like this are really difficult with at least a 3 hour bus trip, then the delay. It really messes with everything. But Coldwater coaching was BAD tonight. Play calling absolutely atrocious, they were lucky that the Oak Hills coaching was next level bad tonight.
Wow.

What was it about the play calling that was absolutely atrocious? I wasn't there but I watched it. I thought the DB's for OH played pretty decent overall. I was surprised at how quick they were. Coldwater is a big play program. I thought they did a good job taking away the big play.

Where I come from we don't criticize our coaches. Anyone can make a mistake. But if Coach Otten is calling plays a certain way, there might be a reason or reasons for it. Given the circumstances, I would think that the mentality would be to get the game in and get the heck out. Just be glad you won.

Wow.

What was it about the play calling that was absolutely atrocious? I wasn't there but I watched it. I thought the DB's for OH played pretty decent overall. I was surprised at how quick they were. Coldwater is a big play program. I thought they did a good job taking away the big play.

Where I come from we don't criticize our coaches. Anyone can make a mistake. But if Coach Otten is calling plays a certain way, there might be a reason or reasons for it. Given the circumstances, I would think that the mentality would be to get the game in and get the heck out. Just be glad you won.
Why not ? Are you a democrat, void of independent thought.

Wow.

I didn't have a problem with the play calling. We had a number of guys getting banged up and substitutions for being tired playing both ways which limits your play calls. If I could just be critical and one aspect I would say this... Tyler was your home run threat last night and showed that.... Once oak hills caught on to that they were double covering him on critical Downs and the cabs would often go his way.... I think it would have helped to go his way prior to it being a critical down and you would have had a better chance at finding oak hills in one-on-one coverage. But if that's the only thing I have to bitch about I thought the coaches did a marvelous job managing substitutions injuries and play calls

I didn't have a problem with the play calling. We had a number of guys getting banged up and substitutions for being tired playing both ways which limits your play calls. If I could just be critical and one aspect I would say this... Tyler was your home run threat last night and showed that.... Once oak hills caught on to that they were double covering him on critical Downs and the cabs would often go his way.... I think it would have helped to go his way prior to it being a critical down and you would have had a better chance at finding oak hills in one-on-one coverage. But if that's the only thing I have to bitch about I thought the coaches did a marvelous job managing substitutions injuries and play calls
I get it. Fair enough.

The whole situation would be tough to be in. Did #88 play at all last night? Was he kicking? I couldn't tell on the screen.

Tyler was your home run threat last night and showed that.... Once oak hills caught on to that they were double covering him on critical Downs and the cabs would often go his way.... I think it would have helped to go his way prior to it being a critical down and you would have had a better chance at finding oak hills in one-on-one coverage.
This right here is one big thing I was talking about. Also, they kept trying to throw deep when Oak Hills DBs had 7+ yard cushions most of the night. At times I saw 12 yard cushion. Get those hitch routes, curls, quick slants, etc. Lastly, Coldwater had early success running right behind the tackles, they then went back to it the last series and had lots of success. That was my gripe with the play calling on Coldwater.

This right here is one big thing I was talking about. Also, they kept trying to throw deep when Oak Hills DBs had 7+ yard cushions most of the night. At times I saw 12 yard cushion. Get those hitch routes, curls, quick slants, etc. Lastly, Coldwater had early success running right behind the tackles, they then went back to it the last series and had lots of success. That was my gripe with the play calling on Coldwater.
I get it but if you follow Coldwater their philosophy in the first half is usually to mix it up and maybe lean a little bit more towards throwing but in the second half they like to clearly establish the run game and close it out. Keep the clock running.
As far as our quarterback he seems intelligent and accurate but not the strongest arm to zip it in there. You saw the hitch route get jumped in the first half and that was a short throw to the boundary. So all in all I think what you were seeing is a typical game called by cold water mixed in with injuries and substitutions for fatigue.. I was surprised to see Marcel #5 only play quarterback I believe on one play. He's the read option quarterback and he's the one who had the big carry late in the fourth quarter that took him inside the 10 and set up their second touchdown. But he got banged up early too and was out a series or two.

You are right, it's so weird that people want to watch and follow up with the high school they played at. Especially in Ohio, nobody does that here, my bad.
The weird part is how you constantly run down not just the football program but the entire school, student body and community. You make it sound like the district is a gang ridden war zone full of drug addicts. I understand the ridicule from Elder fans but I don’t get your motivation at all.

The weird part is how you constantly run down not just the football program but the entire school, student body and community. You make it sound like the district is a gang ridden war zone full of drug addicts. I understand the ridicule from Elder fans but I don’t get your motivation at all.
When did I ever say it was a war zone full of drug addicts??

I have definitely been critical of the school, district, and communities because they have failed their local populations in many ways.

How has Green Township failed their local population?
Which part would you like to discuss? We can start with the extremely poor development issues on both Glenway and Harrison Ave (in Dent) and the headaches those have and will continue to cause. We can talk about the residential development problems that have caused issues with storm runoff, flooding, and sewage backups, even after not 1 but 2 water treatment plants were built in extremely close proximity. We could talk about the section 8 housing that they have allowed in older neighborhoods, leading to their decline. We can discuss how they selectively police more the wealthier neighborhoods much more aggressively. We could also discuss their road quality, or lack thereof (I know the county is in charge of maintaining some). Forget about how they treat small businesses..... it's all about how they can get the next fast food or casual dining franchise move in. And the part of Green Township north of I-74 is essentially ignored all together.

i thought he was an elder fan. i know ehs 2001 is and tries to poke and prod as much as he can. not that i really care anymore, its just the lies people spread. they have the biggest school, kids not playing walking the halls, etc etc etc.

jtk
()

Coldwater- 56
Oak Hills- 3

Oak Hills is terrible for the 30th year in a row, could very well go 0-10… Coldwater fans , enjoy the bye week and get ready for conference play, enjoy your vacation to the westside
good call......and no i don't have anything to do with OH.

jtk
()

When did I ever say it was a war zone full of drug addicts??

I have definitely been critical of the school, district, and communities because they have failed their local populations in many ways.
you did call the kids emo's and wanna be's? whatever that means?

not sure when you graduated, but i graduated from there as well, but damn dude, you have a beef with someone in the district.

jtk
()

So I thought the Oak Hills facility was nice. Nice tailgate going on before the game also. Prior to the game I thought to myself well for a high school that hasn't had the greatest success lately at least the community is somewhat supporting the guys. So that was good to see. So I thought before the game that we were going to be in a close one. Several factors. 1. The drive on school buses over 2 hours and getting away from your normal routine and it being an away game. 2. We would be without our best player and a Division 1 recruit at that. 3. Oak Hills plays a pretty stout schedule. 4. The fact we have 8 guys play both ways and Oak Hills has 0 guys play both ways. Here is what I learned. Some of the Oak Hills guys like to run their mouths and that was obvious from the outset. Visibly you could see OH players verbally talking smack to Coldwater. Not sure why the OH coaching staff allows this but I think it's a horrible look and when you don't win you look like a idiot. Oak Hills was a bit out of shape. With nobody going both ways I was surprised to see guys taking themselves out. Coldwater had a few guys get cramps and the like but with so many guys going both ways it was good to see that they are for the most part in shape. All in all a very sloppy game by Coldwater. Should have had 5 turnovers but one interception was called back by a hold on OH. To my eyes Coldwater is a 2-3 touchdown better team. Won by only 8 and lucky the turnovers didn't destroy us.

So I thought the Oak Hills facility was nice. Nice tailgate going on before the game also. Prior to the game I thought to myself well for a high school that hasn't had the greatest success lately at least the community is somewhat supporting the guys. So that was good to see. So I thought before the game that we were going to be in a close one. Several factors. 1. The drive on school buses over 2 hours and getting away from your normal routine and it being an away game. 2. We would be without our best player and a Division 1 recruit at that. 3. Oak Hills plays a pretty stout schedule. 4. The fact we have 8 guys play both ways and Oak Hills has 0 guys play both ways. Here is what I learned. Some of the Oak Hills guys like to run their mouths and that was obvious from the outset. Visibly you could see OH players verbally talking smack to Coldwater. Not sure why the OH coaching staff allows this but I think it's a horrible look and when you don't win you look like a idiot. Oak Hills was a bit out of shape. With nobody going both ways I was surprised to see guys taking themselves out. Coldwater had a few guys get cramps and the like but with so many guys going both ways it was good to see that they are for the most part in shape. All in all a very sloppy game by Coldwater. Should have had 5 turnovers but one interception was called back by a hold on OH. To my eyes Coldwater is a 2-3 touchdown better team. Won by only 8 and lucky the turnovers didn't destroy us.
Just wondering, what if OH used their best athletes and played them both ways.
Would they have competed better if they came in conditioned?

OH Alum here. I believe this is a fair and very accurate post. Hope you enjoyed your time on the Westside!

OH Alum here. I believe this is a fair and very accurate post. Hope you enjoyed your time on the Westside!
I did. Nice drive down and been a while since I've been to the West Side. Usually, just head over to Great American or Paul Brown and stay in the city. Missed out getting some Price Hill Chili. For sure one of my favorites. I like hitting the other chili places in Cincy besides Skyline.

Oak Hills is getting better. I thought this game might be tight after they played Turpin tough.

OH players running their mouth? Really smart. OH could learn something by playing some of their better guys on both sides but they (coaches) believe this is what they have to do because that is what big schools do. Really smart #2. Will they beat anyone this season? Middletown might be their only chance.

Which part would you like to discuss? We could talk about the section 8 housing that they have allowed in older neighborhoods, leading to their decline.
As someone who lived in green township for over 10 years this is one of the 3 main reasons we left.
1 other issue was with the district its self and the other had nothing to do with the school/area was more property value where we wanted to move.
Im glad we decided to go when we did.

Which part would you like to discuss? We can start with the extremely poor development issues on both Glenway and Harrison Ave (in Dent) and the headaches those have and will continue to cause. We can talk about the residential development problems that have caused issues with storm runoff, flooding, and sewage backups, even after not 1 but 2 water treatment plants were built in extremely close proximity. We could talk about the section 8 housing that they have allowed in older neighborhoods, leading to their decline. We can discuss how they selectively police more the wealthier neighborhoods much more aggressively. We could also discuss their road quality, or lack thereof (I know the county is in charge of maintaining some). Forget about how they treat small businesses..... it's all about how they can get the next fast food or casual dining franchise move in. And the part of Green Township north of I-74 is essentially ignored all together.
Congratulations. You just described most of the townships in the county. The part about Section 8 really missed reality. The past head of Section 8 in Hamilton county was a Green township resident and got in a world of trouble because it came to light that he was keeping Section 8 units out of the township. Green probably has fewer units than any similar area not on the east side.

just wondering why the Cavs have so many guys going both ways, I'm sure they have a process worked out , where boys are being subbed in for. How many Junior and Senior players are out for the team this year? Do they have any Sophomores starting?