Week 10: SVSM @ Walsh Jesuit

Perfect weather this Friday for the game: 57 degrees at kickoff, slight wind, no precipitation.

Both teams mostly healthy.

Both coaches have shifted the direction of the program.

Both teams with a ton of seeding and rivalry points to play for in D2 R5.

This has the making of an all-time classic.
Walsh is very good saw them with a scrimmage with nordonia and olmsted falls. Walsh should win go walsh.

Walsh outstanding QB potent offense good execution. Irish athletic QB outstanding running game (Kelker & Harper) and a physical offensive line with size. Both defenses are playing well however the Irish secondary is vulnerable to the deep pass. Arguably. Two of the top 5 teams in Summit County. Hoban STVM WJ Hudson Nordonia. D2 is loaded this season.

This game is always a fun one to watch. Two storied programs that have a strong rivalry, each with 2 losses. STVM has really been surprising this year with the new staff, putting up a fight agains the knights, and taking down Cleveland Heights. Excited to see how this one shakes out.

Also, the game always means more when there is some hardware on the line! Hopefully the Irish can bring the bell back to Green Street!

Perfect weather this Friday for the game: 57 degrees at kickoff, slight wind, no precipitation.

Both teams mostly healthy.

Both coaches have shifted the direction of the program.

Both teams with a ton of seeding and rivalry points to play for in D2 R5.

This has the making of an all-time classic.
That is a FAR cry from the last game I played in this series. In 2002, St. V beat Walsh 14-12 in a game they had to have to make the Division IV playoffs, in the biggest monsoon I have EVER seen at a football game. Our road white jerseys were so covered in mud that they were still in the process of being cleaned when we played our playoff game at Hoban 8 days later (we had to use the freshman teams' whites).

That is a FAR cry from the last game I played in this series. In 2002, St. V beat Walsh 14-12 in a game they had to have to make the Division IV playoffs, in the biggest monsoon I have EVER seen at a football game. Our road white jerseys were so covered in mud that they were still in the process of being cleaned when we played our playoff game at Hoban 8 days later (we had to use the freshman teams' whites).
I remember that game well. I was a band parent back then.

IIRC, it started raining significantly on and off the previous Sunday through Tuesday - was nice Wednesday - then started raining again Thursday. By Friday, it was an all day soaker.

I would not be surprised at all if that single game was the main impetus for bringing turf to Green Street for the 2005-2006 season.

I'm curious to know how much that Cleveland Heights win for SVSM last week is swaying people to pick the Irish this week.

Are we sure Cleveland Heights is good outside of their star QB and some very talented RB's?

I'm not going to play the schedule game with Cleveland Heights like others do with Walsh ;)

Genuinely curious......

IIRC, it started raining significantly on and off the previous Sunday through Tuesday - was nice Wednesday - then started raining again Thursday. By Friday, it was an all day soaker.

I would not be surprised at all if that single game was the main impetus for bringing turf to Green Street for the 2005-2006 season.
I remember a snow storm game at Solon, playoff game vs Aurora that Walsh lost, Brutal!!!

I remember a snow storm game at Solon, playoff game vs Aurora that Walsh lost, Brutal!!!
No Way Abandon Thread GIF

Don't bring up the SVSM/Walsh game in AJM's senior year or his PTSD might really kick in!
I think there are some kids STILL pulling out of their shoes that were anchored in the mud that night. AJM - PTSD away. That rain was of biblical proportions. Thought something was up that night where I saw dogs, cats, and squirrels coming down Walnut Street - marching side by side and 2 by 2. The only time I ever saw the band just play from the players bench area and not march on the field

I think there are some kids STILL pulling out of their shoes that were anchored in the mud that night. AJM - PTSD away. That rain was of biblical proportions. Thought something was up that night where I saw dogs, cats, and squirrels coming down Walnut Street - marching side by side and 2 by 2. The only time I ever saw the band just play from the players bench area and not march on the field

I remember the game quite well... as I was in the stands watching!

Clark is mentioning 2008 @ Green Street with LeBron James on the sideline.

SVSM stuffed WJ at the 1 yard line... multiple times, as the clock ran out to triple 0's.

Talk about a crowd! I believe both teams were in the top 3 of the state rankings in D3 & D4 when the game was played.

SVSM stuffed WJ at the 1 yard line... multiple times, as the clock ran out to triple 0's.

Talk about a crowd! I believe both teams were in the top 3 of the state rankings in D3 & D4 when the game was played.
I remember that game. If I recall correctly, it was CYO night and there were a ton of kids there. It was a heckuva game; and one the Irish had little business winning...

I remember that game. If I recall correctly, it was CYO night and there were a ton of kids there. It was a heckuva game; and one the Irish had little business winning...

I believe Dan Larlham's name was mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm sure we can put 2 & 2 together on this one.

A few playcalls I bet he wish he had back.

Turf field now, not in 2002

That was an awesome goal line stand. Thanks for the memory!

Really like junior QB for the Irish. Markell Carter is fast, accurate, seems to bring the spark the Irish have been lacking for a while. Along with the two running backs.

Really like junior QB for the Irish. Markell Carter is fast, accurate, seems to bring the spark the Irish have been lacking for a while. Along with the two running backs.
The offense certainly seems more dynamic with Carter in there.

I don't think there is an outcome that would surprise me for tonight's game.

Really could go either way.

Walsh has not beat a "quality opponent" to this point in the season. Having lost to the 2 best teams on it's schedule in Hoban and McDowell (PA).

They have beaten up on a lot of average teams and squeaked out a win over a talented Benedictine team that had not quit on its season yet.

This is a major litmus test for Walsh and Coach Alexander. Would have them riding high into R5 playoffs if they could pull out a win tonight.

SVSM on the other hand has played a more difficult schedule. High quality wins over Ursuline & Cleveland Heights.

2 really good losses to Glenville & Hoban.

A win tonight would do wonders for seeding and momentum for the Irish.

A lot at stake tonight. Should be a fun one.

Last edited: