Week 10: SVSM @ Walsh Jesuit

AjmBaseball1

In one of the most anticipated games on the slate in the state of Ohio for week 10, the Irish travel north up Route 8 to Cuyahoga Falls to take on their #2 rival in Walsh Jesuit.

Both teams come in with 2 losses. Each of them having been dealt a loss via Hoban.

Walsh also lost to McDowell (PA), while SVSM lost to Glenville.

SVSM coming off a huge win over Cleveland Heights and Walsh coming off a expected beat down of Padua.

Major D2 R5 points and seeding at stake next Friday.

Let the discussion begin. Who will be taking home the bell?

What's strange about this season for these two teams is that they both likely can point to a loss as possibly their best game of the year! Both these teams played Hoban tough and, even though they were losses, those games seem to have given both teams a confidence boost that they have been able to carry forward.

The Irish have already locked up a home game in the first round of the playoffs. A victory on Friday night likely secures them games the first two rounds at Green Street.

The Irish have shown the ability to control the clock, and the game, with their powerful running game. I suspect that will be the focus of the offensive game plan this week.

The Irish will serve themselves well if their mindset is that nothing is guaranteed. This is still a rivalry game against a quality opponent with credible weapons on their home turf. A win over the Irish would go a long way to fueling a deep playoff run for the Warriors.

The Irish possess enough firepower in the vertical game to keep Walsh from loading the box with 8 defenders. Defensively, SVSM is strong.

This game will come down to what most games come down to. The Irish MUST break their recent tendency to go off the rais in spurts by playing undisciplined defense and picking up silly personal fouls. More important than that - they simply cannot allow their outbreak of fumblitis to continue. Walsh is too good of an opponent not to make the Irish pay for such generosity.

Walsh will be hungry, if not desperate, to get this win. And they are at home.
But the Irish have matured greatly this season.

42-35 Irish in a barnburner.

The Irish have already locked up a home game in the first round of the playoffs. A victory on Friday night likely secures them games the first two rounds at Green Street.

The Irish have shown the ability to control the clock, and the game, with their powerful running game. I suspect that will be the focus of the offensive game plan this week.

The Irish will serve themselves well if their mindset is that nothing is guaranteed. This is still a rivalry game against a quality opponent with credible weapons on their home turf. A win over the Irish would go a long way to fueling a deep playoff run for the Warriors.

The Irish possess enough firepower in the vertical game to keep Walsh from loading the box with 8 defenders. Defensively, SVSM is strong.

This game will come down to what most games come down to. The Irish MUST break their recent tendency to go off the rais in spurts by playing undisciplined defense and picking up silly personal fouls. More important than that - they simply cannot allow their outbreak of fumblitis to continue. Walsh is too good of an opponent not to make the Irish pay for such generosity.

Walsh will be hungry, if not desperate, to get this win. And they are at home.
But the Irish have matured greatly this season.

42-35 Irish in a barnburner.
I'll admit I am no expert on Harbin points, but would a win against Walsh be enough for the Irish to move ahead of Hudson or Fitch? Hudson is playing Stow (1-8) while Fitch plays Warren Harding (2-7). So, even with wins, those won't be big "point getters". Still, both currently have a decent lead over the Irish. So, again, would a win give the Irish enough points to move into the top 4?

I'll admit I am no expert on Harbin points, but would a win against Walsh be enough for the Irish to move ahead of Hudson or Fitch? Hudson is playing Stow (1-8) while Fitch plays Warren Harding (2-7). So, even with wins, those won't be big "point getters". Still, both currently have a decent lead over the Irish. So, again, would a win give the Irish enough points to move into the top 4?
Check the max-min senarios for both schools on eitel

This should be a good one. I have been most impressed with how Alexander has resurrected the Walsh program. I have also been impressed by how Cistone has improved the quality of play at SVSM. Walsh's max win out is 22.8871 while SVSM's min lose out 23.1515 so it appears that a Walsh win would not catapult them over the Irish.

Win put them in 4.

This should be a good one. I have been most impressed with how Alexander has resurrected the Walsh program. I have also been impressed by how Cistone has improved the quality of play at SVSM. Walsh's max win out is 22.8871 while SVSM's min lose out 23.1515 so it appears that a Walsh win would not catapult them over the Irish.
You are correct a win get you nordonia in week 12.You should beat nordonia.but if nordonia keep on promoting sophomores .svsm in big trouble.Nordonia has a loaded sophomore class.no 5 stars.just good high school players.

Fitch is going to lose a bunch of points from a team that had to forfeit 6 games that they beat, because of an ineligible player. Don't know if it is calculated yet

Walsh is yet to have a quality win. Not sure why they keep scheduling these bad teams knowing they are playing bad old Northcoast teams. StV wins this one 28-7

Walsh is yet to have a quality win. Not sure why they keep scheduling these bad teams knowing they are playing bad old Northcoast teams. StV wins this one 28-7
Those are Crown Conference league games. It's the NCL minus Hoban and Benny. I'd be very surprised if STVM holds Walsh to only 7, unless the Warriors trip over themselves most of the night. STVM can surely win, but that Walsh offense is very hard to play against, and the QB is an excellent player and athlete.

Your obsession with the Walsh schedule is.... odd.

Walsh beat the bad teams on their schedule by 30+

Every single one of them outside of Bene who hadn't quit on their season yet.

Im seeking help for my obsession. Do people care if you post on this website ever again? StV is just a much better team with a better schedule. Schedule tells a lot about a team.
He’s just pointing out it’s all you talk about. You don’t actually mention anything about the teams. You clearly underestimate WJ based on your schedule vendetta. Should be a great game!

Schedules are worked out well in advance. No one could have predicted Benedictine would go without a win any more than an undefeated season could have been predicted for Glenville. Scheduling is always a crap shoot.

Having seen both of these teams, I anticipate a tight game.

While WJ has been blowing teams out, they have been able to diversify their options on offense by getting plays to other contributors executed. They have also been able to build depth on both sides. The defense should be shoring up too with new players being developed over the last few weeks. The turnover battle and number of mistakes should be huge for both sides in this game.

Fitch is going to lose a bunch of points from a team that had to forfeit 6 games that they beat, because of an ineligible player. Don't know if it is calculated yet

That makes this game even more important for STVM as I imagine they could avoid Hoban in the 3rd round with a win. If the Irish win then they are possibly looking at Nordonia in week 12 and Riverside in week 13. If the Irish lose then they are looking at Fitch in week 12 and Hoban in week 13. I know which path I would rather go down.

That makes this game even more important for STVM as I imagine they could avoid Hoban in the 3rd round with a win. If the Irish win then they are possibly looking at Nordonia in week 12 and Riverside in week 13. If the Irish lose then they are looking at Fitch in week 12 and Hoban in week 13. I know which path I would rather go down.
If nordonia keep on promoting sophomores.you don't want nordonia.They never lost in 2 years.

I posted this in the Fitch thread in response to an article in the Buffalo paper that Fitch's NY opponent is forfeiting its first 6 games:

Article says Bennett is forfeiting its first 6 games. They won 4 of those games and are a DI equivalent. That would be 2.6804 coming off of Fitch's average.

That likely puts them at the 4th or 5th seed, depending on how St. V. does against Walsh Jesuit. If St. V. beats Walsh Jesuit, then Fitch is likely to end up the 5th seed.

I have Fitch winning this weekend plus wins from Ursuline, Bennett, Strongsville, and Wadsworth. I'm also giving GlenOak the benefit of the doubt against Perry to arrive at a final average of 28.12. I have Hudson finishing at 28.7 (win plus a Nordonia win over Benedictine, their guaranteed points from week 10 league matchups are already figured into their min. win out average).

If St. V. beats Walsh to get to 28.25, they're likely ahead of Fitch. I'd also have St. V. as likely to get L2 points from Buchtel over Firestone, Ursuline over Mooney, and Cleveland Hts. over Shaker Hts. Those 3 wins would push St. V. over 30.00.

If St. V. beats Walsh, I've got the top 5 seeds as:
1. Hoban
2. Riverside
3. St. V.
4. Hudson
5. Fitch

Im seeking help for my obsession. Do people care if you post on this website ever again? StV is just a much better team with a better schedule. Schedule tells a lot about a team.

This has nothing to do with anything I (minimal) contribute to this site and everything to do with the absurdity of your post.

Walsh is averaging 44 points per game this season.

But then again, I'd imagine you'll point to the schedule for the reason this is the case.

Predictable.

This has nothing to do with anything I (minimal) contribute to this site and everything to do with the absurdity of your post.

Walsh is averaging 44 points per game this season.

But then again, I'd imagine you'll point to the schedule for the reason this is the case.

Predictable.
I don't see Walsh putting up 44 points against the Irish. Then again, I don't see STVM's offense running roughshod over the Warriors. In my opinion both defenses are better than the offenses they will be matching up against. Walsh likely passes the ball better, but the Irish ground game is superior. Both teams are about as healthy as can be expected in Week 10 and both have a lot to play for. Both coaches have done exemplary jobs. Alexander has had Walsh building towards this during his tenure there, and Cistone has infused the Irish with confidence and commitment in a remarkable turn-around this year. The Irish offense played a generally clean game last week against Heights. With one notable exception, they protected the ball pretty well. IMO, if they repeat that performance, if the Irish win the turnover battle, they win the game.

I don't see Walsh putting up 44 points against the Irish. Then again, I don't see STVM's offense running roughshod over the Warriors. In my opinion both defenses are better than the offenses they will be matching up against. Walsh likely passes the ball better, but the Irish ground game is superior. Both teams are about as healthy as can be expected in Week 10 and both have a lot to play for. Both coaches have done exemplary jobs. Alexander has had Walsh building towards this during his tenure there, and Cistone has infused the Irish with confidence and commitment in a remarkable turn-around this year. The Irish offense played a generally clean game last week against Heights. With one notable exception, they protected the ball pretty well. IMO, if they repeat that performance, if the Irish win the turnover battle, they win the game.
Nor do I.

But I can promise you they won't score 7 😊

Good analysis here, btw. Quality post. Need more of this 👍

Perfect weather this Friday for the game: 57 degrees at kickoff, slight wind, no precipitation.

Both teams mostly healthy.

Both coaches have shifted the direction of the program.

Both teams with a ton of seeding and rivalry points to play for in D2 R5.

This has the making of an all-time classic.