We needed expanded playoffs for Covid with cancellations. Reduce it now.

9 below seeds survive to round 3 #13 Kenston and #10 Padua in Div 3

Div 1 none below 8 seed

Div 2: R8 #10 Anderson (only in Div2)

Div3 R9 #13 Kenston R10 #10 Padua Franciscan

Div4 R13 #13 Buchtel R15 #9 Bishop Ready R16 #13 Clinton Massie #14 Eaton

Div5 R17 #13 Cardinal Mooney

Div 6 none below 8 seed

Div 7 R 25 #10 Lucas

Ratio to total field 9/224 .04 or 4%

Ratio to expansion 8/112 .08 or 8 percent.

So 8 out of 224 get to play 3 extra games, winning 2 of them.

I do predict four might get through round 3 Buchtel Cardinal Mooney. Anderson and Kenston but none will get through Round 4.

these teams played UP schedules largely accounting for their losses and strong tournament performance, a credit to them all.

Div 2 Anderson played 5 Div 1
Div 3 Kenston played 4 Div 2
Div 3 Padua played 4 Div 2
Div 4 Buchtel played 9 higher division schools, 7 Div 2 and 2 Div 3
Div 4 Bishop Ready played 4 Div 3 schools
Div 4 Clinton Massie played 7 higher division schools 3 Div2 and 4 Div 3
Div 5 Mooney played 9 higher division teams 3 D2 2 D3 and 4 D4
Div 7 Lucas played 6 higher division teams. 1 D3 1 D4 and 4 D6

Of course I could be wrong about getting past round 3 we shall see.

But only 8 out of 224 even have a chance.
That’s exactly the point though. These teams play up. The fact that they couldn’t schedule easier teams shouldn’t be the reason they don’t make playoffs. Mooney damn near beat Ursuline (who has me sweating in region nine). Do you think it’s easy for d5 cardinal mooney to get weaker teams on the schedule? no. No one wants to play them. So they get screwed out of playoffs every year? That’s not fair to them. It’s also not fair that teams that go 10-0 against no one make it in because they’re in a weak conference. Division 1 should be 8 teams. No doubt. But every other division having 16 gives opportunities to teams like mooney and kenston. Also gives every kid and coach an extra week. Every parent, band member, fan, etc gets another game.

Making the playoffs doesn’t mean anything. Making a regional final does. That has never changed. The only difference is you have to win an extra game to do it.

That’s exactly the point though. These teams play up. The fact that they couldn’t schedule easier teams shouldn’t be the reason they don’t make playoffs. Mooney damn near beat Ursuline (who has me sweating in region nine). Do you think it’s easy for d5 cardinal mooney to get weaker teams on the schedule? no. No one wants to play them. So they get screwed out of playoffs every year? That’s not fair to them. It’s also not fair that teams that go 10-0 against no one make it in because they’re in a weak conference. Division 1 should be 8 teams. No doubt. But every other division having 16 gives opportunities to teams like mooney and kenston. Also gives every kid and coach an extra week. Every parent, band member, fan, etc gets another game.

Making the playoffs doesn’t mean anything. Making a regional final does. That has never changed. The only difference is you have to win an extra game to do it.
none of it means anything. its all for fun.

and its educational value. there is no monetary gain or award for winning any game or every game.

it's 100% expense, because you can't get a game if not for all the loser teams that draw nobody and any gates collected only defray the overall expense to the education system as a whole, especially when you take administrative costs into consideration.

the vast majority of high school teams collect essentially no gate.

you do understand that no high school football program operates at a "profit" or "generates revenue" right?

if ANYBODY tries to tell you that so and so and such and such program "generates revenue", all you have to say is:

prove it.

There is absolutely no person in the United States that can PROVE that any high school football program actually generates what would be called "net revenue" in the real accounting world. "net revenue" or "revenue over expenses" doesn't exist for ANY high school extracurricular.

not chess or debate team: and not varsity tackle football, ESPECIALLY not varsity football.

and that is before medical expenses are even considered. school districts don't pay ANY medical expenses for kids carted off the field. they just haul the kid off and give him back to the parents and say: here: you take care of this now, we can't use him in this condition. he can stand on the sidelines and wear the jersey if he wants though.

the minute school districts are mandated to pay all medical costs for all students injured playing full tackle contact football is the minute full contact tackle football is made extinct.

I agree with you. Things would be totally different without conferences and self-scheduling that allows for Harbin point hunting. If games were scheduled randomly, even within a Region, then I think records and Harbins would be a more reliable predictor and the playoff slots awarded could be reduced.

That said, I can see the other side. This year, the team I follow most , Padua, is an exception much more than a rule as a 10 seed making the final four. Yes, they're being rewarded for having the 8th toughest D3 schedule, and while they COULD potentially win Region 10, it's hard to ignore they were beaten by 51-6 by D3/R9 powerhouse Ursuline. I doubt a single Padua parent sees a state title in this team's future, but is that the point of the playoffs, to identify and only put the title-worthy teams in the playoffs? If so, then pick the top 4 per Region since early round losses are very few anyway. Exceptions like Padua will just revert to scheduling cupcakes instead of D3 powerhouse like Ursuline and bigger D2 neighbors like NoRo and Maple Hts. I could easily see Padua leaving the new Crown Conference where we're forced to play bigger and perennially better Walsh Jesuit.

For D2 - D7, the expansion to 16 teams allows the debates, predictions, and opinions to be settled on the field. If the goal is to avoid running clocks and boat races, then take 12 and give the top 4 a first-round by since wins by 13-16 seeds are VERY rare.

They need to quit with the half measures and just let everyone in. It's inevitable. They're going to go there eventually. Because they are greedy and because they are aligned with modern idiocy. Merit is bad in 2022 and beyond.

They need to quit with the half measures and just let everyone in. It's inevitable. They're going to go there eventually. Because they are greedy and because they are aligned with modern idiocy. Merit is bad in 2022 and beyond.
Ok let everybody in and play double elimination and forget the regular season then. Random draw for all schools all sizes no divisions just one tournament. You could then get Kirtland playing St Eds and Marion Local playing Moeller.

why not?

Hard no. Why compete with college football when Friday is already yours with no comptition. That's stupid.
College football is played every Friday night of football season. Attendance at every game in Cincinnati this Friday night will be impacted because the Bearcats have a home game that kicks off at 8:00.

10 SEEDS SURVIVING ROUND 3

10 SEED ANDERSON AND 10 SEED PARMA PADUA.

TWO 13 SEEDS ELIMINATED MOONEY AND KENSTON.

TWO 13 SEEDS REMAINING AKRON BUCHTEL AND CLINTON MASSIE PLAY SAT NIGHT.

ONE 10 SEED DIV VII LUCAS

ONE 9 SEED BISHOP READY.

Let's face it - 7 divisions is the problem. Why are there not 4 divisions like basketball.
4 divisions and 16 teams - sounds good to me.

Let's face it - 7 divisions is the problem. Why are there not 4 divisions like basketball.
4 divisions and 16 teams - sounds good to me.

Because basketball requires much less players and the competitive difference in size of schools is much smaller than football. Basketball you can have a varsity team with 7 players, and can have a good team with about 3. Football you need at least 20 to even field a steady team and 10 good players to have a good team

not in any way neither is going to run the table.

wanna bet?
Nobody said they would.
You said they'd all be gone after round three (#264, #265).
course diss GIF

Anderson and Parma Padua are proving that we can’t keep it at 8.

neither is going to run the table neither will Buchtel.

Nobody said they would.
course diss GIF
so what? its a prediction.

the original prediction I made was that none of the 112 additional teams had a chance to win the tournament and I stand by that

it might be one out of every ten years and 224 teams per year that an under 8 seed runs the table.

and certainly no 16 seed is ever going to run the table. never in a million years. not playing number 1 seeds in first round.

as of right now in teams having played 3 rounds, the prediction i made is statistically true.

there are TWO under 8 seed still playing

Anderson and Parma Padua at #10

and there are 4 playing tonight. Buchtel, Bishop Ready, Clinton Massie in Div 4 and Lucas in tadpole division. D7

so if they all win, that will be 6 out of 224 that started. or 2.6 percent.

statistically that is ZERO it is 5 percent of the 112 expansion teams.

and that is about the probability that any of the remaining under 8 seeds will run the table.

or less.

Nobody said they would.
course diss GIF
No one who wants to reduce the playoff berths ever gives us a mathematically proven way to pick fewer. The data shows that Harbins are worse than a coin toss for slots 7-12 yet we hear the bang being beaten to drop back to 8. Based on what. Rock, paper, scissors? Drew Pasteur? Harbins? Combination. None is a reliable predictor of the "sweet 16" in the state's 4 regions per divisions, so why not take more and settle it on the field. If we have trim the regular season to 9, so be it.

You are 0-2 in bets. Have went all in twice (which is impossible so you’re at negative money). You are a sore loser moving the goal posts.
#13 seeds all went out. buchtel and clinton massie were 13 seeds 9 seed bishop ready also went out.

only low seed that made it through was lucas a 10 seed

that leaves only 3 under 8 seeds in tournament ( all 10 seeds )

parma padua cincinnati anderson and div 7 lucas out of 112 expansion teams.

3/112 =.026 3/224 in field = .0133 or 1.3 percent made it past round 3

anderson, padua and lucas are all that survived round 3.

and they each have to win 3 more games to win tournament.

and the more times i look at the name of the city of cincinnati the more I think its the most stupid name for a city I have ever seen.

and I am 100% winning my bets because nobody would bet me.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

#13 seeds all went out. buchtel and clinton massie were 13 seeds 9 seed bishop ready also went out.

only low seed that made it through was lucas a 10 seed

that leaves only 3 under 8 seeds in tournament ( all 10 seeds )

parma padua cincinnati anderson and div 7 lucas out of 112 expansion teams.

3/112 =.026 3/224 in field = .0133 or 1.3 percent made it past round 3

anderson, padua and lucas are all that survived round 3.

and they each have to win 3 more games to win tournament.

and the more times i look at the name of the city of cincinnati the more I think its the most stupid name for a city I have ever seen.

and I am 100% winning my bets because nobody would bet me.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Might want to check again......

Might want to check again......
yeah I heard.

thanks Danville you made me look even better.

scratch Lucas.

only two under 8 seeds survived round three out of 224 teams.

2 of 224 is less than 1%

which represents the probability of an under 8 seed winning the tournament.

in other words, almost as close to zero as you can get.

Last edited:
I can see the OHSAA going all in. 6 divisions would make sense but I see them keeping 7 if they do it. D1 having 64 teams and D2-D7 having 107. This means 7 rounds of playoffs with 21 teams having byes in first round for D2-D7. D1 would have 6 rounds and probably 10 regular season games while D2-D7 would have 9 regular season games. Not great but if they want more $ over anything else, it might happen. Obviously they'll keep it seeded (better than Indiana not being seeded).
I've said this all along, 8 regular season games keeps it at 15 weeks and preseason won't be cut down and everyone in. You can play 10 total games if you want, so if you lose in the 1st round you can pick up another game if you want the next week like In the covid year.

Only issue here is schools losing gate money.

And I'd argue schools hosting 1st two rounds get the gate. Sorry OHSAA bros get a few less trays of chicken wings at the state title games

Higher seed also hosts all the way to state final 4 I liked that during covid season to be honest

Higher seed also hosts all the way to state final 4 I liked that during covid season to be honest

I don't think that one will wash unless the lower bracket shares revenue also. There's no game without them. Otherwise, teams are back to scheduling for higher Harbins instead of competition, Harbin cows become a revenue generator leading to massive in-season mis-matches. Might as well go back to 8 if not 4 teams. Kids lose. Communities lose. Football culture loses.

With almost every team making the playoffs, a 10 game regular season doesn't make sense any more.

I was talking to a kid whose team advanced to next weekend and he said he's physically and mentally drained. And this team's goal at the start of the season was to me to the state championship game.

With almost every team making the playoffs, a 10 game regular season doesn't make sense any more.

I was talking to a kid whose team advanced to next weekend and he said he's physically and mentally drained. And this team's goal at the start of the season was to me to the state championship game.

exactly and the school districts get virtually zero percent of the pay per view revenue.

but the performing kids are physically and emotionally drained and this is why you see plenty of mercy clock games in later rounds.

I don't think that one will wash unless the lower bracket shares revenue also. There's no game without them. Otherwise, teams are back to scheduling for higher Harbins instead of competition, Harbin cows become a revenue generator leading to massive in-season mis-matches. Might as well go back to 8 if not 4 teams. Kids lose. Communities lose. Football culture loses.

there is no revenue generated, there is nothing but expenses covered by the taxpayers.

what do you not understand about that?

there IS no actual revenue generated. For Example:

1668884245555.png

Last edited:
and then there were none

zero percent of under 8 seeds survived round 4

I havent counted under # 4 seeds, I suppose I should

the OHSAA should be charged with child endangerment. or the Schools ADS one of the two.

Just imagine the number of injured kids on those 112 teams