We needed expanded playoffs for Covid with cancellations. Reduce it now.

neofootball10

Having teams with losing records . Especially in d-1 make the playoffs is stupid. So we let 3-7 teams get slaughtered by St. Eds. That makes a lot of sense for the hs players. We needed added playoffs during Covid. But it is not needed now and counterproductive for the players as well. I know its a money grab but even reducing it to 12 would be much better. 8 was perfect. not too many and not too few. You had to have a successful season. I guess the everyone gets a trophy mentality has made it to the OHSAA. Does anyone on a 3-7 team even want to play that game? Yea. we get to get running clocked and the crap beat out of us. Bet hey, at the state made some cash. Isn't hs sports about the students and what is good for them.

Having teams with losing records . Especially in d-1 make the playoffs is stupid. So we let 3-7 teams get slaughtered by St. Eds. That makes a lot of sense for the hs players. We needed added playoffs during Covid. But it is not needed now and counterproductive for the players as well. I know its a money grab but even reducing it to 12 would be much better. 8 was perfect. not too many and not too few. You had to have a successful season. I guess the everyone gets a trophy mentality has made it to the OHSAA. Does anyone on a 3-7 team even want to play that game? Yea. we get to get running clocked and the crap beat out of us. Bet hey, at the state made some cash. Isn't hs sports about the students and what is good for them.

I can't wait until a lower seed goes to state to shut down all this crap and negativity about the lower seeds. It will come, just wait.

Obviously not in Ohio.

Doesn't every other sport besides football have an everyone gets in mindset? I am sure that every basketball team makes the tournament. Fairborn went 1 - 17 and played Centerville!!! The same thing for wrestling as well. Everyone makes it into the tournament. I don't think it is an everyone gets a trophy mentality because once you lose they do not hand you a trophy. I have more of the mindset that man these kids just spent 8 months training for a sport that they play ten games in. Football is a sport that you prepare for longer than you actually get to go play. I think in today's age athletes we are lucky that we still have kids coming over for the sport. For every other sport, you literally practice for less than a month and then start competition. Oh and you play at least two games a week in some of those sports and might practice three days a week. Whereas football you have camp, and 10 days, and two a days, and then the monotony of M - Th practice and they come in on Saturday and lift and run and watch film.

I do agree that it does make money for the state, but if a kid gets one more game in their career that totals 4 more games per career I do not see anything wrong with it. Will that game be against a hammer? Maybe, but go out and give it your all. I am sure those coaches that play teams like they know once they get up they sub their starters out and put in other kids.

It already happened. New Bremen won state in 2020 when they would have missed the playoffs entirely had the field not been expanded. They would have been an 11 seed in computer points.
Harbin points for 2020 are useless, the whole MAC, a lot like other conferences, didn't have any out of conference games. Plus, like the OP said, expanded playoffs were needed for 2020 and arguably 2021 to keep from punishing teams that were impacted by covid

It already happened. New Bremen won state in 2020 when they would have missed the playoffs entirely had the field not been expanded. They would have been an 11 seed in computer points.
I guess I should re phrase that and say in DI since everyone on here thinks DI is the only one that matters.:(

I honestly don't mind the top 16 getting in. What I do have issues with is doing this with 7 different divisions. This issue mainly arises in D1 and D7. There are quite a bit schools in those divisions qualifying at 3-7 or 2-8. If we would go back to 6 divisions, you'd see that even out, IMO. There's not enough teams in D1 to have a top 16 and make that competitive. Then, in D7, there's only a handful of good teams. I LOVE small school football, but 90% of the programs in D7 are absolutely atrocious and littered with these 2-8, 3-7 teams. I don't mind 5-5 teams making it in. Sometimes with those programs, they had some serious weeks of injuries happen, or illness. We don't complain when 8-8 teams in the NFL who were riddled with injuries make the playoffs and go on win streaks. If OHSAA stays at 7 divisions, the top 12 feels almost perfect. I remember years ago with top 8, seeing 4-6 teams or 5-5 teams get the #8 spot and play for regional titles, or just miss the top 8, but everyone knew if they got in they'd make some noise. Never understood how all the other OHSAA sports allow teams to get in the post season and people never bat an eye. Then football goes top 16 and people lose sleep and act like the world is ending. It's not an "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. A lot of those 14-16 seeds in D3 and down, will be teams who never get to experience playoffs or are in rebuilds. So they get what you expect... go to a school with a great program, play in front of a large crowd, get handily beat and go home with no trophy and turn their gear in. Easy as that. It has no bearing on your life, doesn't keep dinner off your table, take away your jobs like an immigrant or threaten your wife. It literally doesn't affect you. It's the same word vomit recycled out of everyone's mouth with nothing new to add.

playoffs for decades made the regular season important and made football special and not like other sports where they all get in. Just making the playoffs was a special season for many teams who had no chance of making it to state champ level. Of course some lower seeds could pull and upset or two. The question is they should not even get the opportunity if you stunk in regular season. Also, I was wrong . Stow went 1-9 and has St. Eds. We really need this game to happen? I am sure this will be a great opportunity for the stow kids to get thier heads knocked around for 2 hours and lose by 50 with a running clock. How dare I take that experience and opportunity away. You sound like a clown coltfan.

Despite your false claim, no one gets a trophy for qualifying for the playoffs.

I've seen more than one running clock in the state finals. You don't want to hurt anybody's feelings? Maybe just cancel all the games.

If member schools do not like it they can vote to change it.

I know someone is wrong when they have to bring up membership votes. There is no way to defend letting a 1-9 team in a playoffs and the fact that the game will be a disaster. Not even Eds players want to play in it. I can imagine have happy those stow kids are to get brains bashed in. Oh what a thrill.

Reactions: y2h
Doesn't every other sport besides football have an everyone gets in mindset? I am sure that every basketball team makes the tournament. Fairborn went 1 - 17 and played Centerville!!! The same thing for wrestling as well. Everyone makes it into the tournament. I don't think it is an everyone gets a trophy mentality because once you lose they do not hand you a trophy. I have more of the mindset that man these kids just spent 8 months training for a sport that they play ten games in. Football is a sport that you prepare for longer than you actually get to go play. I think in today's age athletes we are lucky that we still have kids coming over for the sport. For every other sport, you literally practice for less than a month and then start competition. Oh and you play at least two games a week in some of those sports and might practice three days a week. Whereas football you have camp, and 10 days, and two a days, and then the monotony of M - Th practice and they come in on Saturday and lift and run and watch film.

I do agree that it does make money for the state, but if a kid gets one more game in their career that totals 4 more games per career I do not see anything wrong with it. Will that game be against a hammer? Maybe, but go out and give it your all. I am sure those coaches that play teams like they know once they get up they sub their starters out and put in other kids.
Yes.

Reason football was special is that games meant something and not like a Tuesday basketball game where it means nothing but seed ranking.

One main difference between football and other lets let everyone in playoffs because it is fun to be in playoffs sports is how physical the game is compared to other sports. If you get blown out in a football game, people on losing team tend to get hurt especially when its a total mismatch. when you blown out by 8 goals in soccer or 10 in baseball, people do not get hurt.

playoffs for decades made the regular season important and made football special and not like other sports where they all get in. Just making the playoffs was a special season for many teams who had no chance of making it to state champ level. Of course some lower seeds could pull and upset or two. The question is they should not even get the opportunity if you stunk in regular season. Also, I was wrong . Stow went 1-9 and has St. Eds. We really need this game to happen? I am sure this will be a great opportunity for the stow kids to get thier heads knocked around for 2 hours and lose by 50 with a running clock. How dare I take that experience and opportunity away. You sound like a clown coltfan.
You sound like a bitter old loser who didn't win anything in your life and now lives vicariously through the local high school team. Grow up loser.

Regular season is still important. If you play in a tough/bigger conference and make it, you deserve it. See R26.

On top of that, the expanded playoffs lets teams be riskier in their scheduling. This opens the doors for teams to take less games that they only want for playoff points. 16 teams making it per region could give us a lot more incredible regular season matchups. We can all think of teams that really didn't deserve it when it was 8 teams. Teams that found opponents that can go 5-5 against a weak schedule to pump L2s were rewarded more than teams that went through grueling regular schedule to go 4-6. Or teams that are in weak conferences can get a bunch of wins against teams that all play eachother so they guarantee the best team will get plenty of L2s. Drew's fantastic 50 twitter account has been tweeting and showing how many "underdogs" he predicts win round 1.
I'm not saying I totally disagree that 16 is too many, but it opens doors for better regular season matchups without the risk of missing playoffs.

I personally like 16 teams. Teams with tough schedules can sneak in. An extra playoff week is fun, and the 1v8, 4v5, etc. can still happen the following week. As someone else mentioned, it also allows teams to schedule tougher matchups that will likely be a loss, but won’t be the reason for missing the playoffs (giving good experience).

One main difference between football and other lets let everyone in playoffs because it is fun to be in playoffs sports is how physical the game is compared to other sports. If you get blown out in a football game, people on losing team tend to get hurt especially when its a total mismatch. when you blown out by 8 goals in soccer or 10 in baseball, people do not get hurt.
I am interested in the data that you use to make this statement that people on the losing team tend to get hurt when it's a total mismatch.

I may be old school but at least I know when a system becomes a joke. Letting 1-9 teams so called qualify for the playoffs. It the bowling league where every kid gets a ribbon trophy. My team made playoffs when it actually meant something and was a cool experience. Now stow players will dread the experience. But hey, you probably like transgender dudes beating girls in sports and all the cool news ideas.

The only way for something to be valuable is if you have to actually work hard and earn it. Just handing out to 16 or 17 teams means its worthless. Add more teams or cut the number to make it something other than ludicrous. Sad but true. Now get off of my lawn. Old school