WCAL

Here are the standings from last year, as well the 1st Team and 2nd Team honorees. I'm not sure what grade these players were, so not sure who was lost to graduation and who returns:

1699978217378.png

1699978173570.png

The league was Senior dominated last year. Of the 15 players listed, 12 have graduated. Brown and Fickes are now Seniors and Metsker is a Junior.

The league was Senior dominated last year. Of the 15 players listed, 12 have graduated. Brown and Fickes are now Seniors and Metsker is a Junior.
With so many of last year’s top players graduated, who are some of the top players headed into this season?

Who looks to be the top team in the Wayne County Athletic League this year?
I think Norwayne is the heavy favorite to completely dominate this league this year. Dalton is well coached and will have decent depth and a lot of upperclassmen playing. Smithville, Hillsdale, Chippewa, and Rittman will be good enough to win a decent amount of games. Northwestern & Waynedale will probably struggle.
The league lost way too much talent to be able to replicate the level of play of the last few years. I think Parker Metsker is the favorite to be the WCAL MVP.

I think Norwayne is the heavy favorite to completely dominate this league this year. Dalton is well coached and will have decent depth and a lot of upperclassmen playing. Smithville, Hillsdale, Chippewa, and Rittman will be good enough to win a decent amount of games. Northwestern & Waynedale will probably struggle.

The league lost way too much talent to be able to replicate the level of play of the last few years. I think Parker Metsker is the favorite to be the WCAL MVP.
Pretty good synopsis. I have Norwayne as the favorite as well (although not as good as last year, which will be the common theme throughout the league this year). The Norwayne jr class has been very good since youth ball. They don’t have any dominant scorers without Rupp and Hann, but play great D and have a lot of depth

Agree, good synopsis. Norwayne will be much deeper than years past. They will be 10-deep with decent size and super athletic. Losing Rupp and Hann will hurt, but they may be better than last year by year end as some of that Jr. class gets more experience. The long football run is going to hurt Dalton early in the season as the majority of their basketball players play football. Obviously their season will get pushed back, but getting their “basketball legs” will take some time.

Norwayne also returns west . If he can improve his points in the pain he could be a very very good player . He was already hitting 6, 7-8 threes a game multiple occasions it felt like last year

Norwayne also returns west . If he can improve his points in the pain he could be a very very good player . He was already hitting 6, 7-8 threes a game multiple occasions it felt like last year
The Norwayne vs Orrville game was much closer than I expected it to be (57-40). I know the WCAL will be down from the level it has been at the last few years, but I expected a larger blowout in this game. I think Norwayne beat Orrville by 40+ points at Orrville last year.

The Norwayne vs Orrville game was much closer than I expected it to be (57-40). I know the WCAL will be down from the level it has been at the last few years, but I expected a larger blowout in this game. I think Norwayne beat Orrville by 40+ points at Orrville last year.
I'm curious who all played for Orrville, because I've heard their roster is having issues this year.

I'm curious who all played for Orrville, because I've heard their roster is having issues this year.
Their top player from last year is not with the team at all. He did not play. They played three freshmen heavy minutes. Taj Gibson is a newcomer who is 6'8'' and probably 230 pounds or so. He is really athletic for his size, but you can tell that he has not played much basketball. I was surprised that they jumped out to an early lead and kept the score reasonable throughout the game.

I agree h
I agree, hoping for norwayne sake that it’s just the newcomers getting there feet wet to playing varsity

Malvern has been a very good team for the last couple years
Malvern beat them last year too the Hornets are pretty good bet Smithies finish in top 3 of wcal
Coach Tucci definitely has a solid program at Malvern. They have been good for awhile now. Malvern and Dalton have been the nuts that Corey Kaufman has not been able to crack since he has been at Smithville. Not sure if he has ever beat Malvern, maybe he beat them once. He is 0-7 against Dalton. Smithville did beat Dalton last year during Kaufman's suspension at the beginning of the season. Smithville could finish in the top 3 of the WCAL again this year, but they will have their work cut out for them. They lost a lot to graduation the last two years. Kids like Carter Fath and Carter Piatt do not grow on trees.

Coach Tucci definitely has a solid program at Malvern. They have been good for awhile now. Malvern and Dalton have been the nuts that Corey Kaufman has not been able to crack since he has been at Smithville. Not sure if he has ever beat Malvern, maybe he beat them once. He is 0-7 against Dalton. Smithville did beat Dalton last year during Kaufman's suspension at the beginning of the season. Smithville could finish in the top 3 of the WCAL again this year, but they will have their work cut out for them. They lost a lot to graduation the last two years. Kids like Carter Fath and Carter Piatt do not grow on trees.
Dalton without Wenger.

Norwayne destroyed Chippewa tonight 66-25.
I believe Chippewa only had 10 points at halftime
Was not expecting a game like that after they had played lake, and Cloverleaf very hard Parker had so many assist and steals I couldn't keep count. He’s definitely a game changer. Nobody pushes to pace in the area around like him.

Last edited:
First full week of games for everyone.

Tuesday - Rittman @ Mapleton
Triway @ Smithville
Waynedale @ Manchester

Friday - Norwayne @ Smithville
Waynedale @ Chippewa
Dalton @ Northwestern
Rittman @ Hillsdale

Saturday - Norwayne/Triway @ WQKT
Dalton @ Canton South
Northwestern @ Norton
Waynedale @ Orrville

Should be an interesting week but way too early to determine much. Games w/ Triway are interesting as well as Norwayne at Smithville. Also, seeing Dalton after the long football run and quite a few injuries based on what I'm hearing. Only surprise so far to me is Chippewa being 0-4 with two key performers returning in Brown and Donnelly.

First full week of games for everyone.

Tuesday - Rittman @ Mapleton
Triway @ Smithville
Waynedale @ Manchester

Friday - Norwayne @ Smithville
Waynedale @ Chippewa
Dalton @ Northwestern
Rittman @ Hillsdale

Saturday - Norwayne/Triway @ WQKT
Dalton @ Canton South
Northwestern @ Norton
Waynedale @ Orrville

Should be an interesting week but way too early to determine much. Games w/ Triway are interesting as well as Norwayne at Smithville. Also, seeing Dalton after the long football run and quite a few injuries based on what I'm hearing. Only surprise so far to me is Chippewa being 0-4 with two key performers returning in Brown and Donnelly.
As you show, Dalton will finally get a couple of games in this week. Unfortunately, the Dawgs have lost Jones for the year. Hignight will miss the first two to three games. Everyone else is back on the court.