Way too early predictions for next year?

VBFAN24

Who looks to be the team to beat in 2022? X and Moe started alot of seniors but have underclassmen who contributed, Meyer for X and Patterson for Moe. Elder had big contributions from their junior class and Samuels, a sophomore at libero. Walnut lost a great middle and libero but have some outsides that are good.

Elder should be the team to beat. Will have one of the best setters in the state (Bianco), the best OH1 and best OH combo (Maune and Schwallie), one of the best liberos in the state (Samuels). Then two very solid middles in Zimmer and Busken. Not to mention returning starter at OPP Maurer. Right now, there just are no holes or weak spots which is insane to say just a couple of days removed from being state runners-up.

Moeller will have a major reloading year and will really test the coaching staff.
They graduate all of the starters except for Patterson. Renneker got some time at DS this year along with Wong and I would expect both of them to be starters next year. After that it is pretty wide open

X had a VERY solid JV team, but also graduates all of the starters except for B Meyer. Tran and Haarmeyer would both be solid setters. B Meyer likely moves to OH. Feldkamp got some time at middle and Terrell also came up to Varsity as a middle at the end of the year. Will definitely need to find another pin and some defense.

Walnut will rely on the young outsides Wheatley and Tombragel even more. They bring back the setter and OPP. Going to be very difficult to replace Vogelpohl, Lipscomb, and Borgmann but I could see them upsetting one or two of the big 3 next year

It should be Elder, but this year everyone thought it would be 1 X, 2 Elder, and 3 Moe. And we all know how that turned out. Any Columbus teams have potential?

Elder should be the team to beat. Will have one of the best setters in the state (Bianco), the best OH1 and best OH combo (Maune and Schwallie), one of the best liberos in the state (Samuels). Then two very solid middles in Zimmer and Busken. Not to mention returning starter at OPP Maurer. Right now, there just are no holes or weak spots which is insane to say just a couple of days removed from being state runners-up.

Moeller will have a major reloading year and will really test the coaching staff.
They graduate all of the starters except for Patterson. Renneker got some time at DS this year along with Wong and I would expect both of them to be starters next year. After that it is pretty wide open

X had a VERY solid JV team, but also graduates all of the starters except for B Meyer. Tran and Haarmeyer would both be solid setters. B Meyer likely moves to OH. Feldkamp got some time at middle and Terrell also came up to Varsity as a middle at the end of the year. Will definitely need to find another pin and some defense.

Walnut will rely on the young outsides Wheatley and Tombragel even more. They bring back the setter and OPP. Going to be very difficult to replace Vogelpohl, Lipscomb, and Borgmann but I could see them upsetting one or two of the big 3 next year
Right now, assuming things go as you say, Elder really only needs a DS for Maurer. Even then, don't be surprised if a JV player takes that OPP spot from Maurer or at least pushes him for playing time. Think their JV team had some solid outsides/middles that could play OPP for a year. I'd expect them to run a 5-1 with Bianco, unless a JV setter improves enough and Tierney wants Joey to hit. I'm biased, but they do seem like early, early favorites.

For Moe, my best guess would be maybe be a 6-2 with Husting as a 6 rotation player, setting in back and hitting in front. Not even sure who their other setters are, but he's the only underclassman setter listed on their roster. I'd expect Wong to be the libero, Rennker to maybe be a 6 rotation outside. Outside of those 3 and Patterson, not sure who else plays where.

Think what you and Coach said pretty much sums X up. Think Haarmeyer would be a 6 rotation S/OPP. No matter what position he plays, Tran is gonna find a spot to play. He could be a setter, an undersized outside or maybe even libero. He's an all-around talent. Definitely need to find a consistent middle pairing next year, but think Feldkamp would at least hold down one of the two spots.

Could definitely see Walnut being able to upset X and Moe given all the question marks right now and how good those 2 outsides can be. Of course, this is guesswork and I'm sure more than enough kids will progress nicely over the next 9 months to compliment each team.

I'll go out on a limb and predict Ignatius will take (again) the Div. I title.
I just popped in to make a comment that St Ignatius will be a team to watch. They were very young and showed some grit coming back from down 2-1 to East #1 Olentangy Liberty in the Quarterfinals. And they didn't back down from Elder in the Semifinals. If I had to rank them, I'm putting Elder #1, with St Ignatius #2 for next season. Though I don't know what some of the traditional powers in the East/West bring back (Darby, Beavercreek, Centerville, etc.)

What grade was #34 for St. I's? He carried them in the Liberty match, and to a lesser extent, against Elder. If he was a junior I definitely put them up there. If not, I don't know how good they will be.

What grade was #34 for St. I's? He carried them in the Liberty match, and to a lesser extent, against Elder. If he was a junior I definitely put them up there. If not, I don't know how good they will be.
I heard the on the ESP broadcast state that St Ignatius had a couple of sophomores and at least one freshmen in their rotation. That's where my thoughts on them being a dangerous team next year come from.

I heard the on the ESP broadcast state that St Ignatius had a couple of sophomores and at least one freshmen in their rotation. That's where my thoughts on them being a dangerous team next year come from.
They bring back their 5-1 setter (Freshman), two outside hitters that saw time as the OH2 (both Sophomores) and their MH2 (Sophomore). They lose their OH1, MH1, OPP and L from the starting lineup.

If they are not in the mix of things next year, you would have to think that 2023 will be a very successful year for them

I just popped in to make a comment that St Ignatius will be a team to watch. They were very young and showed some grit coming back from down 2-1 to East #1 Olentangy Liberty in the Quarterfinals. And they didn't back down from Elder in the Semifinals. If I had to rank them, I'm putting Elder #1, with St Ignatius #2 for next season. Though I don't know what some of the traditional powers in the East/West bring back (Darby, Beavercreek, Centerville, etc.)
Going to be tough to tell. I think Elder has to be the better's favorite, but after them I think X has some very solid juniors-to-be and could compare to Elder from this past year. I don't think I would put Ignatius that high. They were very average without the big senior. The team that is so hard to predict is Moeller. They are the champions, but lose so many pieces combined with a weaker than usual JV team

For D1 only, I'd go
1. Elder
2. X
3. Walnut Hills
4. Moeller
5. Beavercreek
6. Ignatius
7. Thomas Worthington (Returning top 3 or 4 players)
8. Darby
9. Centerville
10. Ed's

After spot 5 or 6 it really is a crap shoot. I would be surprised if anyone below that point makes much noise next year

Going to be tough to tell. I think Elder has to be the better's favorite, but after them I think X has some very solid juniors-to-be and could compare to Elder from this past year. I don't think I would put Ignatius that high. They were very average without the big senior. The team that is so hard to predict is Moeller. They are the champions, but lose so many pieces combined with a weaker than usual JV team

For D1 only, I'd go
1. Elder
2. X
3. Walnut Hills
4. Moeller
5. Beavercreek
6. Ignatius
7. Thomas Worthington (Returning top 3 or 4 players)
8. Darby
9. Centerville
10. Ed's

After spot 5 or 6 it really is a crap shoot. I would be surprised if anyone below that point makes much noise next year
You think Walnut will still be that high after losing Tombragel, Lipscomb and Vogelpohl? They do return some very good pieces in their two outsides and their setter; also return a pretty solid middle who played sparingly this past season. Not sure who else they have. They're also looking at a coaching change, as Ober and Toth won't be back.

Tombragel is going to be a junior. Borgmann, Vogelpohl, and Lipscomb graduate. Bringing back both outsides, which will be one of the top 2 or 3 OH combos in the state, along with a returning setter should be enough to keep them quite high.

The coaching vacancy will play a big part with just how high they can climb

They bring back their 5-1 setter (Freshman), two outside hitters that saw time as the OH2 (both Sophomores) and their MH2 (Sophomore). They lose their OH1, MH1, OPP and L from the starting lineup.

If they are not in the mix of things next year, you would have to think that 2023 will be a very successful year for them
Sounds very similar to the team that won State a few years back. They had so much experience for a few years prior to that group all being seniors.

Tombragel is going to be a junior. Borgmann, Vogelpohl, and Lipscomb graduate. Bringing back both outsides, which will be one of the top 2 or 3 OH combos in the state, along with a returning setter should be enough to keep them quite high.

Any reason why Ober and Toth are leaving?

Yes, sorry, got Tombragel and Borgmann mixed up.

The Elks are in my top 5. They bring back there 5/1 setter, OH 2, Op, DS and M1. I’m not sure the depth on JV but they continued to get better and better throughout this season and I look for more of the same next year.

Ignatius will be trouble next year and more trouble the year after that. I think they will be #2-#3 behind elder and maybe Moeller because they were, so young and seem to have a lot of players in the pipeline with experience. They battled big injuries the entire year, which would explain the record a little or surprise of how good they were this year. Most of the young guys got a lot of experience this year and seems like the coach has them playing with a new no quit intensity. I’m curious if anyone knows anything about the coach? The coach in his rotation at states had 1 freshman (setter), 4 sophomores (2 OH, 1 MB, & 1 DS), and 2 Juniors (DS & RS). Looked like the one outside #6 had an injury also.

Ignatius will be trouble next year and more trouble the year after that. I think they will be #2-#3 behind elder and maybe Moeller because they were, so young and seem to have a lot of players in the pipeline with experience. They battled big injuries the entire year, which would explain the record a little or surprise of how good they were this year. Most of the young guys got a lot of experience this year and seems like the coach has them playing with a new no quit intensity. I’m curious if anyone knows anything about the coach? The coach in his rotation at states had 1 freshman (setter), 4 sophomores (2 OH, 1 MB, & 1 DS), and 2 Juniors (DS RS). Looked like the one outside #6 had an maybe
Maybe you are correct, I saw #6 couldn't move on the court and was left out there most of the time. Looked to me like a one man team with #34 doing all the damage for them. Not much contribution from others. Libero, who was also a senior, was great and will be hard to replace.

In the west, I think it'll be a crapshoot.
Beavercreek loses their lefty setter/opp and big Middle who are both big parts. They do return a very good OH.
Centerville has most of the studs. Lose only all state OH, but has some solid players returning, especially big M1
Northmont was all Juniors last year. Could be the surprise team of the region
Fairmont has a really good setter and outside, but are gonna need some help to compete.
Lakota East loses their main offense, but has some athletes coming back that should be good

Didn’t really know where to post this question so I will put it here. Hope that is okay.
Does anyone know how Pete Ehrlich is doing? His courage and Fenwick’s state championship was easily the best story of this past season.

We are only a month and a half away from tryouts! Some interesting developments during winter club that will have an impact on the high school season. Patterson playing outside for Vanguard, Attack 18s catching the injury bug, and Wheatley becoming a monster for Attack 17s. My updated state predictions below

1. Elder - I think most people had them as the favorite after the state finals last year. Will be senior heavy with a lot of depth.
Biggest question: Does Samuels play?
2. St. Xavier - They don't have the "go-to" like Elder does with Maune, but not many weaknesses.
Biggest question: Does Tran play, and if he does is he a setter or libero? If not Tran, who is the libero?
3. Walnut Hills - Huge improvement from Wheatley, but maybe more importantly from Smith-Trondle the setter on 17s. Wheatley, Tombragel, and Smith Trondle will be asked to do a lot.
Biggest question: Libero and if the middles can just be serviceable
4. Moeller - Patterson playing outside will give him the opportunity to swing at more balls, but his serve receive and backrow defense still need to improve. Thankfully Moeller's more experienced players are defenders
Biggest question: Setter. Marcum is the only Moeller player actually playing setter this club season. Does Husting go back to setter, or is Marcum ready to run a 5-1 on Varsity?
5. Ignatius - Tons of returners from a state semi-finalist.
Biggest question: Do they have a go-to since Boeckman graduated?
6. Centerville - Rings has improved as a setter. Holbrook is a strong outside to go along with other returners
Biggest question: Can they finally get past the GCL-S?
7. Beavercreek - Culpepper is one of the better players in the state. Does he continue playing outside for Creek, or go back to setter?
Biggest question: Can the supporting cast raise their level of play?
I think teams like Darby, Thomas Worthington, Northmont, and Lakota East are all just outside of this group

In division 2, I see Carroll as an early favorite with Tucker. Followed closely by Alter, St. Charles, Badin, DeSales

Agree with everything. Is this the year Walnut makes it to State? They have the talent for sure. Replacing Vogelpohl is there biggest task.

Seems like the above is a good start. I believe Walnut may end up being the favorite by the end of the regular season. Middles will be a gap they need to fill as well. Probably a 4 team race.

Seems like the above is a good start. I believe Walnut may end up being the favorite by the end of the regular season. Middles will be a gap they need to fill as well. Probably a 4 team race.
Walnut as the favorite? Wow, calling your shot now! Who r your 4 teams in the 4 team race?