Way too early predictions for next year?

I did say “May” end up the favorite. I’d still go top five.
1. Elder
2. X and Walnut
3. Moe
4. Centerville
Creek and Iggy could find there way in the top 5

Walnut as the favorite? Wow, calling your shot now! Who r your 4 teams in the 4 team race?
They have, IMO, without a doubt the best OH tandem in the state and a very good setter who can provide some offense of his own. The rest of the guys who should get playing time in the middle and on the right side are all guys who play club and, at the very least, know the game to an extent. As long as they can tread water, I think WH is a real threat to make it out of the South.

Having to come out of the South is just so difficult to break through for anyone not named Elder, Moeller, X. I would give Walnut about a 20-30% chance to make it to state, which is about what I would have said for them prior to the season last year.

Also interesting, and this is kind of ridiculous that I even bring it up this early is whether the #1 seed from the South has to go through any of the other three to make it to state. Last year Walnut as the 4 seed decided to play through Moeller as the 1 seed instead of having to go through both X AND Elder (2 and 3 seeds). Unless 1 of those teams comes out and is truly dominant this season, I would take a single match against the 1 seed instead of having to beat both on the other side of the bracket. You never know how that will shake out until it happens though.

Once the 8 state teams are decided, I would however, bet the house on the state champion being from the South region

Having to come out of the South is just so difficult to break through for anyone not named Elder, Moeller, X. I would give Walnut about a 20-30% chance to make it to state, which is about what I would have said for them prior to the season last year.

Also interesting, and this is kind of ridiculous that I even bring it up this early is whether the #1 seed from the South has to go through any of the other three to make it to state. Last year Walnut as the 4 seed decided to play through Moeller as the 1 seed instead of having to go through both X AND Elder (2 and 3 seeds). Unless 1 of those teams comes out and is truly dominant this season, I would take a single match against the 1 seed instead of having to beat both on the other side of the bracket. You never know how that will shake out until it happens though.

Once the 8 state teams are decided, I would however, bet the house on the state champion being from the South region
No doubt that Walnut will have a battle just to get out of the South, but I expect Moeller to be down this season and X has some big question marks at certain positions (middles, who passes?, Tran able to play). Wouldn't doubt that both of those teams figure things out and turn it on come postseason, though.

Walnut's OHs, especially Griff, can absolutely take over a game and will a team to win. Not dissimilar to Gilbert last year basically willing Bradley to the semis.

My pre-season South rankings (D1 and D2) as of now would be:
1. Elder
2. X
3. Walnut
4. Moeller
5. LaSalle
6. Sycamore
7. Badin
8. Mason
9. Loveland
10. Milford
11. West Clermont
12. Fairfield
13. Oak Hills
14. Roger Bacon
15. McNick
16. Taylor
17. Royalmont Academy
18. Princeton

As I've said in this thread, I'm a huge Wheatley fan. Tombragel and Smith-Trondle would also start on just about every team in the state. I'm just not sold YET on the other 3 players that will be on the court with them.

I also think Gilbert's performance against Moeller in the semi's was the best I've seen from an individual in Ohio High School volleyball, even though they lost to Moeller. Willing his team to victory over Jackson in the quarters is a different competition level than what Elder, Moeller, and X will be at this year. Certainly doesn't mean it's not doable and I would love to see a new team like Walnut break through

I agree with Brambleberry, hard to imagine any other region bringing home the title again this year. The South is loaded!

As I've said in this thread, I'm a huge Wheatley fan. Tombragel and Smith-Trondle would also start on just about every team in the state. I'm just not sold YET on the other 3 players that will be on the court with them.

I also think Gilbert's performance against Moeller in the semi's was the best I've seen from an individual in Ohio High School volleyball, even though they lost to Moeller. Willing his team to victory over Jackson in the quarters is a different competition level than what Elder, Moeller, and X will be at this year. Certainly doesn't mean it's not doable and I would love to see a new team like Walnut break through
Totally agree. I'm sure the coaching staff (another question mark for them this year) isn't even sure yet who will be playing middle, RS or L. There's some guys who I think can do okay in those spots and be okay role players who have been playing club, so at least the reps and some experience are there.

I get what u r saying about Wheatley but let's be clear, there are no Jonah Gilbert's playing high school volleyball in Ohio this year. That kid was on a level not seen in Ohio very often, if ever.

I know I’m late to the game but I wanted to put my top 4 out there:

1. Elder
Obviously the combo of Maune, Bianco, and (likely) Samuels will be difficult to beat. Not to mention Schwallie, Lanter, and Harvey. Almost no weak spots on the court, though they will need to replace one middle, I honestly think Elder should be the team to take home a state championship this year.

2. St. X
With returners Meyer, Feldkamp, Harmeyer, Tran, and Terrell (Tran and Terrell were brought up at the end of last season) the athleticism is there, but they still need more varsity court experience and defense. Maybe last years JV libero? Figuring out positions may be difficult. Where will Meyer swing and will both Tran and Harmeyer set? This junior class is very talented and has potential to make a state run over the next two years, but lots of questions to be answered.

3. Walnut
The first person I have to mention is definitely Griffin Wheatley. He has improved so much and is just so versatile. From serve receive, defense, hitting, and even blocking, he’s got it covered. Throw in Tombragel and Smith-Trondle in as their setter and you don’t even need the other three players on the court. They seem to have a good setting connection and have been playing together for a while now. If they find some middles and a little defense they should be all set.

4. Moeller
I think this will certainly be a rebuilding year for Moeller. They have Patterson and a few other returners, yet no one to set them. The idea of putting Patterson on the outside, allowing him to be set more is interesting. I think he can be an influential player on the court, but I wonder if he will be able to adjust to inconsistent setting. Beckelhimer is going to be extremely hard to replace this year for Moeller though they did win state last year and could continue to surprise us.

Now that winter club season is over. The grind begins. I do agree with your above rankings but things change in a heartbeat. Just look at last year. It will be a crazy season and I can’t wait.

Last edited:
I know there has been alot of talk about the D1 schools, who is going to make a run in D2 this year. Fenwick and Badin both lost alot but I can see Badin still being a tough out with Halverson, Vornhagen, Brockman, and Dwire still there.

I know there has been alot of talk about the D1 schools, who is going to make a run in D2 this year. Fenwick and Badin both lost alot but I can see Badin still being a tough out with Halverson, Vornhagen, Brockman, and Dwire still there.
They'll be tough for the D2 South region, sure, but they lost so much. The guys you mentioned will be key, but, beyond that, not sure they'll have enough.

St. Charles, St. Francis DeSales, and Brecksville-Broadview Heights all return some key talented players that would make them top teams

I don't know much about the other D2 teams. Who will be the team to beat?
Teams from up north are always tougher in D2 like the ones mentioned above. In the South region, there's always LaSalle who'll have a couple good players. In-conference, there's Alter, Carroll and Fenwick year-in and year-out. I'd think Carroll would be the team to beat in-conference.

After watching a number of club matches this year, I believe two players from Elder who are going to surprise people this year are Busken at middle and Maurer at opposite. They have grown to about 6'4" and look like grown men.

I’m looking for big things from St. X
Meyer/Pung on the outside will be a tuff combo. Tran and Harmeyer setting plus Jones and Feldkamp. Looks to be great season ahead.

I’m looking for big things from St. X
Meyer/Pung on the outside will be a tuff combo. Tran and Harmeyer setting plus Jones and Feldkamp. Looks to be great season ahead.
What is the injury situation with Tran and Feldkamp? Tran has been out all club season and Feldkamp went down last weekend.

Opening season tournament at Moeller is very intriguing! 4 teams include Moe (2021 Ohio Champs), Fishers (2021 Indiana Champs), Louisville St. X (de facto 2021 Kentucky Champs), and Walnut Hills (ended 2021 ranked 5th in Ohio, lost to Moeller in 4 in tournament).

Could be some great volleyball! Fishers lost a D1 player, but should still have some firepower. Moeller we all know lost a lot, but on their home court will still be tough.

Opening season tournament at Moeller is very intriguing! 4 teams include Moe (2021 Ohio Champs), Fishers (2021 Indiana Champs), Louisville St. X (de facto 2021 Kentucky Champs), and Walnut Hills (ended 2021 ranked 5th in Ohio, lost to Moeller in 4 in tournament).

Could be some great volleyball! Fishers lost a D1 player, but should still have some firepower. Moeller we all know lost a lot, but on their home court will still be tough.
De facto? What happened in Kentucky?

Not sure how good Fishers will be this year, they were senior heavy last year. What is the date for that tournament?

Not sure how good Fishers will be this year, they were senior heavy last year. What is the date for that tournament?
They have a core of guys who played club this year, and a good coach.

And 3/26 is the date at Moe, starting at 9am from what I can see.

They have a core of guys who played club this year, and a good coach.

And 3/26 is the date at Moe, starting at 9am from what I can see.
Wow! Louisville St. X plays Elder on 3/25. They will find out how good they are after the 1st weekend!

I am very intrigued with how the Moeller starting lineup will look like. Losing 10 seniors last year, there are a lot of holes that will need to be filled. My best guess with who I saw through the club season:

OH1 - Patterson (Jr)
OH2 - Hagerty (Jr) ?? Renneker (Sr) ??
MH1 - Husting (Sr) ??
MH2 - Threm (Jr)
OPP - Hagerty (Jr)
S - Marcum (So)
L - Wong (Sr)

DS - Lewis (Sr), Dollard (Jr)
Pins - Todd (Jr), Jones (Sr)

Marcum is not a very good option for a 5-1 as he is only about 5'-10'' or so. I can easily see Coach Meyer running a 6-2 but the biggest question is with who?? Do you pull Husting back to a setting role and have him swing front row? If so, that limits the middles and sort of forces Patterson back in the middle. They also have an undersized sophomore middle, Ernst, that could fall into a MH2 role? Lot of moving parts.

This lineup will be interesting to see.

I am very intrigued with how the Moeller starting lineup will look like. Losing 10 seniors last year, there are a lot of holes that will need to be filled. My best guess with who I saw through the club season:

OH1 - Patterson (Jr)
OH2 - Hagerty (Jr) ?? Renneker (Sr) ??
MH1 - Husting (Sr) ??
MH2 - Threm (Jr)
OPP - Hagerty (Jr)
S - Marcum (So)
L - Wong (Sr)

DS - Lewis (Sr), Dollard (Jr)
Pins - Todd (Jr), Jones (Sr)

Marcum is not a very good option for a 5-1 as he is only about 5'-10'' or so. I can easily see Coach Meyer running a 6-2 but the biggest question is with who?? Do you pull Husting back to a setting role and have him swing front row? If so, that limits the middles and sort of forces Patterson back in the middle. They also have an undersized sophomore middle, Ernst, that could fall into a MH2 role? Lot of moving parts.

This lineup will be interesting to see.
At Columbus Renneker was forced to play OH due to injuries. Nate has played all over the court during his club career and he could easily fill the OH2 spot and still play 6 because he is such a good defender now.