Walsh Jesuit vs. Archbishop Hoban

Don't get me wrong; I'm not slagging on Hoban at all. It just seems like 6-0 against an aggregate record under .500 might not be the indicator of quality people think it is.

OTOH, it is also possible for a game to spin completely out of control. The better team wins, but they're not that much better.
Occam’s razor. Sometimes the most simple answer is the right one. Massillon is 7-0 against an aggregate record of .671 but I think most would agree Hoban is both more talented and would be the favorite at a neutral site. If Massillon plays Walsh they don’t go +50 while playing reserves most of the second half. Games don’t “spin out of control” by chance. All that said, more than likely Massillon will get a chance to prove it on the field late in the playoffs.

Occam’s razor. Sometimes the most simple answer is the right one. Massillon is 7-0 against an aggregate record of .671 but I think most would agree Hoban is both more talented and would be the favorite at a neutral site. If Massillon plays Walsh they don’t go +50 while playing reserves most of the second half.
Massillon isn't relevant to a discussion of this game. Stick to the topic.

Games don’t “spin out of control” by chance.
Sure they do. Happens all the time.

They’re really good, but I think it’s his 3rd best behind 2020 & 2016, neck and neck with 2018. They won’t have an argument anyway unless they win it all.
2018 was 15-0 and had one close game with Ignatius and was hands team gaff from a running clock on Massillon. If you are ranking Hoban teams you start with 2018, then go to 2020 (didn't get the chance to be 15-0 because of covid) or 2017 (lost 1 game to an 11 win Ignatius and went on to win 14 games in a row) then 2016 followed by 2015. This 2023 team, should they play the way they have all season has the chance to surpass them all.

You could see the difference the moment the two teams came onto the field. Hoban looks massive. Walsh was small. Across the board, at every position, Hoban was just bigger. I have watched a ton of HS football over the years and this Hoban team, from top to bottom, is the most physically impressive team I have seen. I won’t necessarily say the best in talent—but in terms of size and strength they are overwhelming.

I actually like the offense Walsh tried to run. It was much more creative and looked much better coached than whatever it is Tyrell tries to put out there every year. Hoban just wins these games before they are even played simply due to talent. The size difference is just way too much.

Walsh down by 50 at half loses 57-7 to the Hoban Football Academy. Walsh had beaten STVM by 30 the week prior. That is a 80 point differential. Iggys was shut out by 35. Hoban is the IMG Academy of Ohio.
Couldn't agree more. Ohio might be a stretch, but the Academy of Akron is for certain. Plus the kids from other areas to sprinkle in.

Hey, as long as OHSAA allows teams like this to work the system, it is what it is. I do find it hilarious that hoban is D2, TCC is D3, and glenville is D4. Absolutely hilarious.

Akron Academy will beat the Ville by 20+ next week.

As a Walsh alum, I can confidently tell you that almost 100% of the kids attending Walsh had the choice made for them by their parents.
You're a moron for saying this. Pure and simple. I know plenty of Walsh kids and every one of them chose WJ for the academics, the coaches and the community. Anyone that 'liked' this post if a moron as well.

FYI - just because you state you're a 'Walsh alum' doesn't make you any type of expert.

There are idiotic posts all over yappi, but this one is completely off base.

2018 was 15-0 and had one close game with Ignatius and was hands team gaff from a running clock on Massillon. If you are ranking Hoban teams you start with 2018, then go to 2020 (didn't get the chance to be 15-0 because of covid) or 2017 (lost 1 game to an 11 win Ignatius and went on to win 14 games in a row) then 2016 followed by 2015. This 2023 team, should they play the way they have all season has the chance to surpass them all.
2016 was probably the best even with a loss in game 1 against Ed's (bad call on first quarter TD changed game). You had 4-5 of the all time Hoban leaders on that team as well as a bunch of future stars. Running clock in state championship game 30-0 win. The 2018 seniors were soph's on that team and then you had Traynum as a freshman playing LB. Traynum didn't even start at RB until 2018. Also had Jabari Taylor (Cincy), Sibley (PItt), Clarke (KY), Bauer (Toledo) and I could go on. That was the team that first repeated and paved the way for everything that followed.

You're a moron for saying this. Pure and simple. I know plenty of Walsh kids and every one of them chose WJ for the academics, the coaches and the community. Anyone that 'liked' this post if a moron as well.

FYI - just because you state you're a 'Walsh alum' doesn't make you any type of expert.

There are idiotic posts all over yappi, but this one is completely off base.
Totally agree.

Totally agree.
I think talent wise the 2018 team was the best because from week to week they played pretty clean. The 2020 team had great talent and won their big games 35 to 0 at St Eds and 35 to 6 vs Massillon I the title game. Hoban in 2020 had 1 of the 5 fastest and best defenses I ever seen right up there with Cincy Moeller Canton McKinley, Cincy Colerain, St Iggy in their championship seasons. Hoban that year 2020 played sloppy at times but their talent just overwhelmed everyone. It remains to be seen how this year plays out. You just never know until 2 teams play how a game will turn out. Look at StEds. A few weeks ago their fans were on this site claiming no one could beat them. Then Massillon beat them and the week before they had to kick a field goal in the last seconds to beat Cincinnati Elder.

Not a single St. Edward fan ever made that claim with the tough schedule they have. Most likely came from other programs.

In playoffs.
I’m guessing they will still get pummeled. Not as bad as Walsh just did of course. That game could’ve been 100-0 if Hoban wanted it to be. But I’m confident that Painesville isn’t in the same league as Hoban. Hoban by 20 is my prediction. And that’s if they can get past Hudson or don’t have to play Hudson first. Hudson has been their kryptonite 2 of the past 3 seasons (Although Hudson this year doesn't sound like they are anywhere near the Hudson 2020 and 2022 editions).

Despite the shellacking, I think Walsh is still a top 5 or 6 team in the region. I think it is a sign of Hoban's clear superiority and a clear indicator that they'll coast to through the region.

They will handily defeat Glenville but won't run it up.

Despite the shellacking, I think Walsh is still a top 5 or 6 team in the region. I think it is a sign of Hoban's clear superiority and a clear indicator that they'll coast to through the region.

I actually think they‘re top 4. Hoban, Painesville, and then Hudson/Walash in the 3/4 spots. Keep an eye on Fitch too, but they have a pending beat down coming next Friday that will keep them from being able to get that high. Nordonia’s performance (or lack thereof) against a good but not great Wadsworth team has changed my mind a little on them. I thought they could push for a top 4 seed. But last night was pretty bad.

I actually think they‘re top 4. Hoban, Painesville, and then Hudson/Walash in the 3/4 spots. Keep an eye on Fitch too, but they have a pending beat down coming next Friday that will keep them from being able to get that high. Nordonia’s performance (or lack thereof) against a good but not great Wadsworth team has changed my mind a little on them. I thought they could push for a top 4 seed. But last night was pretty bad.
They are a top 4 seed unless they lose to Lake Catholic. Walsh is a 7-10 point underdog to Riverside a 7-10 point favorite on Nordonia and a pick’em with Hudson or Fitch. Last night was a statement game to show WJ they haven’t arrived and to show the rest of region 5 what they’re in for in the playoffs. What Hoban does this coming week and in week 10 will put a lot of perspective on this thread.

Wow, I was very wrong about this game. Hoban offense vs Walsh defense was not interesting at all. Walsh had no answers, and their offense never had a chance to get going. Bye week for Hoban last week coupled with focused preparation this week made an enormous statement win. Those plays will be gametape for Walsh's opponents the rest of the season.
Walsh QB was running for his life all night...he almost never got to set his feet....was backpedaling right from the snap.

And Hoban was getting pressure very quickly just with their down linemen....yes they did blitz too but Walsh's line couldn't hold up even for a couple seconds against the defensive front to give him time to survey the field & throw.

They are a top 4 seed unless they lose to Lake Catholic. Walsh is a 7-10 point underdog to Riverside a 7-10 point favorite on Nordonia and a pick’em with Hudson or Fitch. Last night was a statement game to show WJ they haven’t arrived and to show the rest of region 5 what they’re in for in the playoffs. What Hoban does this coming week and in week 10 will put a lot of perspective on this thread.
0 chance Walsh loses to LC. Hope I’m wrong of course.

Walsh QB was running for his life all night...he almost never got to set his feet....was backpedaling right from the snap.

And Hoban was getting pressure very quickly just with their down linemen....yes they did blitz too but Walsh's line couldn't hold up even for a couple seconds against the defensive front to give him time to survey the field & throw.
The Walsh kid still slung the ball with some impressive velocity despite the rush. I mean, his arm is really strong, regardless of his height (was told he was 5'10"). His pick was on a play where he was hit while throwing it - they were on him all night. I would've liked to see him throw with over 1 second of time.
On the other side, the Hoban QB doesn't get enough love. Kid is quick and has an arm. It's tough to compare the two, because one could have sipped tea in the backfield while his receivers ran wide open while the other had zero time and his receivers were blanketed. I was highly impressed with them both. I understand they both train with the same QB guy that trained Drew Allar.

What surprised me was seeing the WJ receivers not adjusting to the game. A couple of times Hoban had 6 guys standing at the line in a full blitz package, yet the receiver still ran the route at 10 yds, when the QB adjusted and threw it to 6 yds. Walsh coaches need to get that fixed.

Hoban doing this while still trying to get healthy on the OL. Missing 2 starters last night, 3 if you count Greer, who still hasn’t played. Could be more of an issue vs Glenville’s size next week.