Ursuline vs Cardinal Mooney (at Mineral Ridge)

That 72 game was a tough loss to take. I remember the Cards had about a 20-play, roughly 75 yard drive to take the lead that used up most of the 4th quarter and looked like it was the game-winner. Mr. Banks had other ideas though.

Favorite game for me is tough to answer because there have been so many good ones. I saw the first one as a young kid, still have the program. Mooney being the new school wasn't supposed to win but did behind Jim T at QB. The 67 game was certainly a huge win for Mooney. They were absolutely not supposed to win that one. 1993 is another game I don't think many thought the Cards could win. I might have to go with the 67 game.
’67 was probably the hardest loss to take In the entire series. I was a frosh @ Ursuline, we finished 8-1-1 but CM won the City Series (our final year but we didn’t know it). Ursuline had rallied vs Chaney the week before, 18-8 @ Rayen, and #5 in Ohio AAA. We never recovered from the upset and ended the season tied by East, 8-8. We could feel the air coming out of the entire school in those days when football was absolute king in scholastic sports. (I was an east side boy so that tie with East was particularly jarring)

’67 was probably the hardest loss to take In the entire series. I was a frosh @ Ursuline, we finished 8-1-1 but CM won the City Series (our final year but we didn’t know it). Ursuline had rallied vs Chaney the week before, 18-8 @ Rayen, and #5 in Ohio AAA. We never recovered from the upset and ended the season tied by East, 8-8. We could feel the air coming out of the entire school in those days when football was absolute king in scholastic sports. (I was an east side boy so that tie with East was particularly jarring)

Mooney was a big underdog to the Irish in that game but the Cards pretty much dominated it after the Irish scored on their 1st possession. South had a pretty good team that year with Julie Livas, Jerry Fields and Don Cramb in the backfield and Ursuline blasted them 34-0 the week before the Irish beat Chaney. In those days it seemed like every year Mooney would beat Ursuline, Ursuline would beat Chaney and Chaney would beat Mooney.

I remember being stunned when I heard that Ursuline-East score. I could not believe it could be correct. East gave up a ton of points that year. I know that South scored 30+ against them, Struthers scored over 40 , Chaney scored 50+ and Mooney beat them 76-14. That has to be one of the biggest "upsets" in City Series history. Mooney almost lost one that season that would have been equally shocking when the Cards fell behind North 12-0 before rallying to win 20-12. That tie with East gave Mooney the outright City Series title, as you stated the last year in the league for Mooney & Ursuline.

I had heard some rumors that the two might be leaving the City but I thought it was due to the fact that there had started to be increasing problems at some of the games. The Mooney-South game that year saw a rather large brawl after the game in the stands & exits with gunshots being fired. I don't think anybody was shot but there was a problem there.

The real reason for leaving, according to Monsignor Hughes supt of the Diocese at the time, was the fact that the City was insisting that all members start sharing the gates among the 8 teams. He said he explained that the two just could not afford to do that as football paid for all of the other athletic programs at the time. He said the schools did not want to leave but the City was adamant about it. Hell as I remember it North already got the proceeds from The Preview games. The aforementioned Mooney-Ursuline game drew 15,000 fans. Mooney-Chaney that season was about 12,000. Mooney-Wilson was about 9,000 and Mooney-South drew about 5,000 that season. Chaney-Ursuline also always drew a huge crowd also. Some of the other City Series games drew a few hundred. I don't think Chaney or Wilson were thrilled about it either but that's what happened.

In 1968 both teams were independent and not one City School appeared on either's schedule but they did play several SVC schools being a harbinger of where the two would end up. I was told the lack of City Series teams in 68 was because the City was upset about the two leaving. The Cards & Irish played each other twice that season and Mooney still only played 9 games. I guess cooler heads prevailed and South and Chaney were back on Mooney's schedule in 69.

Do you really believe that? C'mon, man.
It’s an absolute fact think what you want but
Yeah? Me, too. Your story may be the official version but you and I both know Struthers would never let Mooney play there. ...and that's an absolute fact.
You missed the point, Mooney didn’t want to pay YSU that rate anymore and we’re looking for cheaper so Struthers and other valley schools gave them the same price knowing they wouldn’t take it

Mooney was a big underdog to the Irish in that game but the Cards pretty much dominated it after the Irish scored on their 1st possession. South had a pretty good team that year with Julie Livas, Jerry Fields and Don Cramb in the backfield and Ursuline blasted them 34-0 the week before the Irish beat Chaney. In those days it seemed like every year Mooney would beat Ursuline, Ursuline would beat Chaney and Chaney would beat Mooney.

I remember being stunned when I heard that Ursuline-East score. I could not believe it could be correct. East gave up a ton of points that year. I know that South scored 30+ against them, Struthers scored over 40 , Chaney scored 50+ and Mooney beat them 76-14. That has to be one of the biggest "upsets" in City Series history. Mooney almost lost one that season that would have been equally shocking when the Cards fell behind North 12-0 before rallying to win 20-12. That tie with East gave Mooney the outright City Series title, as you stated the last year in the league for Mooney & Ursuline.

I had heard some rumors that the two might be leaving the City but I thought it was due to the fact that there had started to be increasing problems at some of the games. The Mooney-South game that year saw a rather large brawl after the game in the stands & exits with gunshots being fired. I don't think anybody was shot but there was a problem there.

The real reason for leaving, according to Monsignor Hughes supt of the Diocese at the time, was the fact that the City was insisting that all members start sharing the gates among the 8 teams. He said he explained that the two just could not afford to do that as football paid for all of the other athletic programs at the time. He said the schools did not want to leave but the City was adamant about it. Hell as I remember it North already got the proceeds from The Preview games. The aforementioned Mooney-Ursuline game drew 15,000 fans. Mooney-Chaney that season was about 12,000. Mooney-Wilson was about 9,000 and Mooney-South drew about 5,000 that season. Chaney-Ursuline also always drew a huge crowd also. Some of the other City Series games drew a few hundred. I don't think Chaney or Wilson were thrilled about it either but that's what happened.

In 1968 both teams were independent and not one City School appeared on either's schedule but they did play several SVC schools being a harbinger of where the two would end up. I was told the lack of City Series teams in 68 was because the City was upset about the two leaving. The Cards & Irish played each other twice that season and Mooney still only played 9 games. I guess cooler heads prevailed and South and Chaney were back on Mooney's schedule in 69.
As an impressionable kid from the eastside I remember it all like it was yesterday. Ursuline at South had over 8,000 fans, too. (East-Ursuline brought huge crowds in those days also). At season's end Rayen was a sea of mud and the East game was played in heavy rain. Still the 8-8 tie was a shock. CM beat Rayen, 16-0 the night before. Ursuline was "green" in '68, thumped by Mooney, 36-6 at South in game 3. "We want Mooney BAD BAD" permeated throughout UHS heading toward the rematch a month later at Rayen. The 16-0 Irish win was a shocker to Mooney fans, the shillelagh finally came home for the list time since '65. Ursuline had simply had enough. Ursuline did make peace with "ties" in the last game of '68, ending Struthers long winning streak, 6-6 at Rayen in similar circumstances as the tie with East at season's end the year before. Both Rayen & South would open Mooney & Ursuline's schedules in coming years while the two Catholic schools made themselves at home in the SVC. They were exciting years. (On a side note, Bishop Hughes became very important in my life years later and I was at his episcopal ordination at St. Columba. I met his parents from Co. Mayo. He loved both schools deeply. A great man and a wonderful ordinary down here for Covington, Ky)

As an impressionable kid from the eastside I remember it all like it was yesterday. Ursuline at South had over 8,000 fans, too. (East-Ursuline brought huge crowds in those days also). At season's end Rayen was a sea of mud and the East game was played in heavy rain. Still the 8-8 tie was a shock. CM beat Rayen, 16-0 the night before. Ursuline was "green" in '68, thumped by Mooney, 36-6 at South in game 3. "We want Mooney BAD BAD" permeated throughout UHS heading toward the rematch a month later at Rayen. The 16-0 Irish win was a shocker to Mooney fans, the shillelagh finally came home for the list time since '65. Ursuline had simply had enough. Ursuline did make peace with "ties" in the last game of '68, ending Struthers long winning streak, 6-6 at Rayen in similar circumstances as the tie with East at season's end the year before. Both Rayen & South would open Mooney & Ursuline's schedules in coming years while the two Catholic schools made themselves at home in the SVC. They were exciting years. (On a side note, Bishop Hughes became very important in my life years later and I was at his episcopal ordination at St. Columba. I met his parents from Co. Mayo. He loved both schools deeply. A great man and a wonderful ordinary down here for Covington, Ky)
I was at that Ursuline-Struthers game.
Friday, Mooney played Central at Rayen in a downpour, then YSU Saturday afternoon. Finally Struthers-Ursuline Saturday evening. Not a blade of grass anywhere after 2 straight days of monsoon rains. Worst field I've even seen. Most miserable weather to watch a game in. :censored::censored:

But you're right, the area will never see crowds like that again. Mooney-Ursuline 16.5k to 17.5k.
Struthers-Mooney 14,000
Even Chaney against the parochials had massive crowds.
Those days are long gone.
I'm glad I experienced it.

I was at that Ursuline-Struthers game.
Friday, Mooney played Central at Rayen in a downpour, then YSU Saturday afternoon. Finally Struthers-Ursuline Saturday evening. Not a blade of grass anywhere after 2 straight days of monsoon rains. Worst field I've even seen. Most miserable weather to watch a game in. :censored::censored:

But you're right, the area will never see crowds like that again. Mooney-Ursuline 16.5k to 17.5k.
Struthers-Mooney 14,000
Even Chaney against the parochials had massive crowds.
Those days are long gone.
I'm glad I experienced it.
I'd cousins in Struthers who were very upset by the Ursuline game. There were unflattering rumors about Tom Carey refusing to move the game to Struthers Sunday afternoon (absolutely untrue---Tom Carey was a gentleman to his core). My response was that the Irish were just as wet, just as cold, and just as muddy as Struthers. Ursuline was inspired in that game---it was Carey's last as head coach.