Ursuline vs Cardinal Mooney (at Mineral Ridge)

InTheYo

Saturday night
7pm at Mineral Ridge

There was once a time a thread for this game would be many pages... fast forward to 2021 and crickets.

Certainly the best game in town this week is the battle between undefeated South Range and undefeated Hubbard. In terms of late season showdowns, that one reminds me of the 2008 Ursuline vs Mooney game when Ursuline came in 8-0 and Mooney 7-1. The Irish won that game 10-7.

It is still Mooney vs. Ursuline and anything can happen. Remember they are only teenage boys. An over confident UHS will be a sitting duck.
There are many, many upsets in this series---most recently the Irish (20-13) in '19. Last year a weak CM team almost won against an excellent Ursuline team (23-28). Throw out the record books!

It's a shame how much the game has fallen off. The times of both teams winning state titles in the same year is over. Until Mooney can flip the program back around this game has no market value.

Or why not play the game no matter who is the "home" team at YSU? Mooney playing the game at Mineral Ridge automatically diminishes the rivalry. I understand playing every other game at MR if they want but this game just doesn't make sense.
Obviously Mooney doesn’t draw enough to pay the bill at YSU

Obviously Mooney doesn’t draw enough to pay the bill at YSU
But for 1 game every 2 years that they have to staff? No way they cannot afford that. Also, that would be the game that is their biggest draw no matter what the records are so the game could pay for itself.

The days of 12,000+ regular attendance has passed. Struthers or Boardman as CM's home field would make more sense. Mineral Ridge is really Warren JFK territory (traditionally). Ursuline does have something to prove heading into the playoffs after being embarrassed by SVSM & VASJ. The Irish have beaten the Cards 3 times in a row only once in the series. Plus there's lots of ground to make up---the Cards have won nearly 2/3 of the games. Ursuline may very well have more fans there than "home team" Mooney at this one. Contacts at Ursuline say this is still THE game of the year, records aside.

R
But for 1 game every 2 years that they have to staff? No way they cannot afford that. Also, that would be the game that is their biggest draw no matter what the records are so the game could pay for itself.
really other and students and parents want to see Mooney, first of all not a very good team and the head coach is an embarrassment to the Mooney family. If Pelini comes back next season it will be a travesty

The days of 12,000+ regular attendance has passed. Struthers or Boardman as CM's home field would make more sense. Mineral Ridge is really Warren JFK territory (traditionally). Ursuline does have something to prove heading into the playoffs after being embarrassed by SVSM & VASJ. The Irish have beaten the Cards 3 times in a row only once in the series. Plus there's lots of ground to make up---the Cards have won nearly 2/3 of the games. Ursuline may very well have more fans there than "home team" Mooney at this one. Contacts at Ursuline say this is still THE game of the year, records aside.
Hell would need to freeze over for Mooney to use Struthers as their home field.

I’m not from Youngstown, so forgive my ignorance: what exactly caused this great fall from Grace for these teams? When I was young they were world-beaters.

I heard during the 70's and 80's Ursuline and Mooney could draw over 5,000 in attendance
Nope. 10,000 was a smallish crowd for the Holy War back then. Biggest crowd was probably '67---17,500 crammed South High Stadium for the annual clash of the archrivals. But both Ursuline & Mooney had student bodies of 1500 each back then. The two schools combined are around 750 today, only 300 on Erie Street.