Trivia thread

EagleFan,

My fault since I wasn't on from the time you posted until now. As for the lob...that was like asking EagleSE his first and last name. It couldn't get an easier for him.

Edge might not have answered that one correctly since it was just a tad before his time.

I will have to think of a good one.

Okay it only took me three weeks to think of this question. On the wrestling room walls the mats have sectional, district and state champions. Also Crown champions. The trivia question is...why did Howard Ferguson put Crown champions up with all the other ones. The reason I know this question is that Howard pointed it out to me one day and explained why he put it on the wrestling room wall. I will give two weeks for you Eagles out there to come up with the answer.

Okay, okay, no weak attempts. Howard Ferguson keep Crown Champions on the wrestling room wall because it took St. Eds one more year to win the Crown Conference then to win the state tournament. Okay now the easy question. Who won the Crown Conference in 1978 in wrestling?

I always wondered what crown champions actually meant...

Here's a question, although not trivia, if Ferg hadn't passed away would the wrestling program be any different than it is today? I think Coach Urbas has done an incredible job and I'm not sure Ferg would have been able to do anything different. Any thoughts???

Urbas has done a tremendous job keeping the Eagles at a high level. I couldn't see Ferg doing anything differently that would make the Eagles better then they already are.

Here's my trivia question. Name the former St.Edward Eagles that are part of the # 8 Ohio Ranked Semi Pro (Cleveland Mosquitoes) Baseball team. One point if you can name all of them on the 2004 roster. Another full point if you can match the names with the years that they graduated from St.Edward.

GencoEd said:
Here's a question, although not trivia, if Ferg hadn't passed away would the wrestling program be any different than it is today? I think Coach Urbas has done an incredible job and I'm not sure Ferg would have been able to do anything different. Any thoughts???

Perhaps in the early 90's he might have been able to do better in 1990 or 1991, or challenge Walsh more from 93-97, but who knows. Walsh was very tough and there may not have been any difference.

EagleFan said:
What is the most team points St. Edward wrestling has put up in the state tournament, and what year.

192.5 pts in 1984

1st place: John Heffernan - 167, Jim Keeler - 145, Pete Mitchell - 155 and Jeff "Bubba" Strauss - 126.

state runner-ups: Dave Held - 185 and Terry Kennedy - 138.

3rd placers" Dave Carlin - 112 and Bob Dunn - HWT.

4th place: Wayne Krampel - 119

They set the record with 194.5 in 1983 and broke it with 195.5 in 1984. Of course, Walsh then broke it with 203 in 1995.

EagleFan said:
They set the record with 194.5 in 1983 and broke it with 195.5 in 1984. Of course, Walsh then broke it with 203 in 1995.

EagleFan, I must be messed up since I thought the Eagles scored 185.5 pts in 1983 and broke that one with 192.5 pts in 1984.

EagleSE,

Youe are all knowing on Eagles wrestling! Who is right? :help:

Last edited:
In 1983 the Eagles scored 185.5
In 1984 the Eagles scored 192.5

According to the official OHSAA program and the St. Edward wrestling statistics published by the athletic office.

No response for a couple of days, so I'm going to through an easy one out to see if anyone other then sehs has been browsing the forum.

Which St. Eds wrestler has scored the most points in a state tournament? Notice it was singular...one state tournament, not their career. Name and point total please.

Neider is correct! Does anyone know how many team points he scored to become the only wrestler at St. Eds to score the maximum amount of points in a state tournament?

I'm a little suspect at tournament scoring, but here's a guess:

2 points winning 1st round
2 points for fall in first round
2 points for winning quarterfinals
2 points for fall in quarterfinals
2 points for winning semi-finals
2 points for fall in semi-finals
16 points for winning title
2 points for fall in title match

30 team points scored.

Right on EagleFan, so that means Sam "the man" Neider scored the maximum 30 points for the Eagles his senior year. Sam did it with four pins in the tournament and I believe even more impressive is the fact that Sam pinned his way through the sectional, district and state tournaments. The only St. Eds wrestler that has ever accomplished this feat.

As part of our Athletic Hall of Fame, St. Edward inducts a Most Honored Opponent. Who was the first to receive the award?