Top Cincinnati Bowlers

RB didn't do much last year. What's gonna change?

First, thank you! Someone that wants to talk bowling

Good question. You are right. RB did not have a particularly good year, 10-9. I have no idea what new blood any of the cincy area have in the wings. That is why I have asked how things are shapping up at various schools .In the absence of any feedback you can only base on past varsity experience. That said, at least within the GCL there does not appear any teams are bringing back varsity experience, beyond rb. More importantly, last year varsity guys that had OK averages. So...
in order to keep the conversation going someone tell me what they have in the way of last year jv guys and freshman that can contribute to this years varsity team performance. How about your school? What does x have in addition to two seniors that may average 190's and another Guy who uses two hands to avg 190? How are they filling in some big shoes?

Tanner, Hagen averaged 296 over the summer. Tell him to say the ---- with school and to get someone to sponsor him on the BPA.

First, thank you! Someone that wants to talk bowling

Good question. You are right. RB did not have a particularly good year, 10-9. I have no idea what new blood any of the cincy area have in the wings. That is why I have asked how things are shapping up at various schools .In the absence of any feedback you can only base on past varsity experience. That said, at least within the GCL there does not appear any teams are bringing back varsity experience, beyond rb. More importantly, last year varsity guys that had OK averages. So...
in order to keep the conversation going someone tell me what they have in the way of last year jv guys and freshman that can contribute to this years varsity team performance. How about your school? What does x have in addition to two seniors that may average 190's and another Guy who uses two hands to avg 190? How are they filling in some big shoes?

X will have some talent teamwide, but nothing as good as what Weber and last year's class brought. Top to bottom is pretty tight, but no standout stars.

Tanner is obviously an idiot. The bowling forum seems to attract them over the jyears. Ignore him.

Yea... I figured that. But, in an attempt to actually get a bowling conversation going I thought I would humor him until someone else jumped in.

Do you agree with x coach regarding the new substitution rule. I like it. Based on what you mentioned about x team I can see where it could benefit them and other teams that have guys that always manage at least one good game.

With regards to the new rule,do you know if you can use a many subs as you have bowlers? Could you have 5 guys bowl the first 2 games and then 5 other guys bowl the last game . I can't imagine a scenario where this would make sense, but I pose the question so I can better understand the rule

http://www.greatercincinnatisportsworld.com/HS_AAA.html
St. Xavier coach Al Runkel has a few difficult decisions to make this season when it comes to his roster - but thanks to a new Ohio High School Athletic Association rule that is being put into place this year, Runkel's job may not be as challenging as expected.

The OHSAA has instituted a new "at will" rule to be used for all bowling coaches across the state. The "at-will" rule will allow a coach to switch bowlers in the middle of a game if desired.

"I'm looking forward to the season and this new rule," said Runkel. "It could benefit us because we have a roster full of really talented boys. It's a good rule for our coaches to have. If a bowler is not performing well in his first few frames, to have the ability to replace him will relieve the pressure off the kids."

The Bombers have no returning starters from last year's team which won the Greater Catholic League-South before being eliminated in the sectional tournament.

This year's St. X squad features a two-handed bowler in junior Joe Bruns and seniors Bryan Walsh and Tim Sause. Runkel says that both Walsh and Sause are capable of averaging 200.

"Last year we were vertically talented," Runkel says. "We had a lot of talent at the top. This year we'll be very wide in talent instead of vertical. We're going to have 10 boys that I think will do very well."

"We will definitely be a better team in February then we will be at the beginning."

Senior Michael Luken and junior Ben Brauch return to anchor an Elder team that went 13-7 last season.

Luken was named to the GCL first team after averaging 196 while Brauch's 198 average earned a place on the GCL's second team. Brauch also was the Panthers' top qualifier for last year's district tournament.

"The guys bowled a lot over the summer so we should be ready to go from the first match," said Elder head coach Dave Sievers. "I'm looking forward to find out who our leader will be this year."

Mason returns starters Aaron Markvan, Carson Turjanica, and Daron Prater to its team this season.

"All of the starters have 200-plus ability," said Comets coach Joe Riestenberg. "But consistency will always be the key."

Jason Ashcraft returns for his senior season at Milford after finishing 51st of 132 in last season's state tournament. Ashcraft led the Eagles to their first trip to the regional tournament in school history.

http://ohsaa.org/sports/rglts/BW10-11.pdf

1.6) Substitutions-A coach may substitute a player “at will” at any time before or during
a game. However, once removed from the lineup, the removed player(s) may not reenter
play until the start of the next regular or Baker game. A player once removed
is reclassified as a substitute bowler and may be used as a substitute bowler in any
spot in the team lineup upon legal return to play (subsequent game). A coach substituting
any player for any reason must notify the match scorekeeper and opposing
coach at the time of the substitution. The partial game score produced by the removed
player and substitute shall not be computed in the individual average of either player.
Penalty: An illegal substitute shall be assessed a score of zero (0) for all frames, or
part of a frame, bowled.

Bob,

Yeah I am familiar with the article. In fact, I tried to generate conversation by quoting the coach and copy and pasting an exert from the rule, as noted on the OHSAA website.

I still wonder if you can sub 5 guys for 5 other guys. Just curious.

It's pretty interesting. I gather one guy could sub for each "starter" if he were to fill in at some point in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or one of the Baker Games.

I suppose the rule could actually inflate a guys average. Say a guy bowls the first two games at his average or above and starts the third game miserably. If he were to be yanked that game his cruddy game is not computed in his average. --- For the guy being substituted for, it is as if he gets to "Take your two best scores and throw your worst one away". --- Thing is, in doing this, your bowlers, the sub and starter, without regard to the number of frames bowled in a game, have the game count towards the 22 they are allowed to bowl in a year.

Again, I am just trying to get the ball rolling with some genuine bowling conversation.

I was just curious what you think of the rule and hoped others might offer some insight.

=====================================
For those of you not familiar with the "at will" rule:

1.6) Substitutions-A coach may substitute a player “at will” at any time before or during a game. However, once removed from the lineup, the removed player(s) may not reenter play until the start of the next regular or Baker game. A player once removed is reclassified as a substitute bowler and may be used as a substitute bowler in any spot in the team lineup upon legal return to play (subsequent game). A coach substituting any player for any reason must notify the match scorekeeper and opposing coach at the time of the substitution. The partial game score produced by the removed player and substitute shall not be computed in the individual average of either player. Penalty: An illegal substitute shall be assessed a score of zero (0) for all frames, or part of a frame, bowled.

It is important to note that the team lineup (order of bowling) for all regular
games must remain the same during the match. A substitute bowler must enter the lineup in the same order as the bowler being replaced.

Note: Any frame, or part of a frame bowled, counts in the total number of contests bowled in the season limitation of 22 matches..

Last edited:
It looks like you could, theoretically, have a new bowler each frame during Bakers if you had that large of a team. Once subbed, that bowler cannot return until next Baker game.

I don't know how I feel about the rule change. I think it favors the teams with the resources to carry bigger teams, but until we see it in action, who knows how it will play out.

It looks like you could, theoretically, have a new bowler each frame during Bakers if you had that large of a team. Once subbed, that bowler cannot return until next Baker game. I don't know how I feel about the rule change. I think it favors the teams with the resources to carry bigger teams, but until we see it in action, who knows how it will play out.
Good point. "It may favor the deeper teams". -- The coach needs to remember that in making a sub, your bowlers, the sub and starter, without regard to the number of frames bowled in a game, have the game count towards the 22 they are allowed to bowl in a year.

im and idiot??? well let me tell you that you are LOST mr bomber. hagen is damn beast just wait kid and they just got another transfer in who averages a 300.

Do any of you anything to add to what I posed to Tanner. Q, Bien, don't waste the key strokes to reply.

DON'T any of you guys have something to say about high school bowling. The dribble that comes out of the RB guys is useless.

Damn guys, surely someone out there can bring something worthwhile to talk about.

your a ----ing dip ----

your a ----ing dip ----

Ok Q. This is really going to be tough for you. But try to say something constructive about High School Bowling. Again, this is really going to test your metal!!! I bet you can't do it. Oh yea, it can't contain gibberish about how great Roger Bacon is and how everyone else sucks. Sincerely, ----ing Dip ----.

Ok, we have heard from someone with insight on the X program. And, we have heard way too much from 3 goofs regarding the RB bowling.

Any info on any other programs? Bowling starts next week. Surely, someone can comment on their team, lanes, rules, coaches, Elder Cheering Section at matches....

I am throwing a line out in the hopes of getting a bite. I have had one good bite, BobcatBomber, and caught three turds: Tanner, Bien and Q. I try to flush the turds down but they keep floating to the surface.

Regarding the impact of this new "at will" rule, I'm not sure how many teams have the breadth of talent to really take advantage of it. I mean, a lot of schools are lucky to have 5 good bowlers to complete the rotation.

RB falls into the category of just having a solid lineup.

Regarding the impact of this new "at will" rule, I'm not sure how many teams have the breadth of talent to really take advantage of it. I mean, a lot of schools are lucky to have 5 good bowlers to complete the rotation.

RB falls into the category of just having a solid lineup.

Any idea how many bowlers X will field? They must have more than 6 or 7 for their coach, to seemingly, like the idea. To your point regarding teams having a tough time putting 5 guys on the alley, doesn't that even further put the advantage in the X's of the world?

Any idea how many bowlers X will field? They must have more than 6 or 7 for their coach, to seemingly, like the idea. To your point regarding teams having a tough time putting 5 guys on the alley, doesn't that even further put the advantage in the X's of the world?

Only if their group of bowlers are better than the first 5 of other schools. I think X has a lot of boys who are about the same average wise, but I don't think any of them are standout like years past.

I have no idea how many they will be fielding. I'm not affiliated with their program. I just know their coaches, but I know quite a few of the local schools' coaches.

X is down this year just like every other year. i dont see them winning any matches this year. their bowling prgram has been down and will remain that way. it seems that bacon is getting all the good transfers and will definately dominate this year........ :thumb:

X is down this year just like every other year. i dont see them winning any matches this year. their bowling prgram has been down and will remain that way. it seems that bacon is getting all the good transfers and will definately dominate this year........ :thumb:

Bacon is lucky to have 5 decent starters. that's about it. They were an average team last year, and will be average again this year.

Taken from todays Enquirer.

This is clearly a misprint. There is no mention of RB. Oh, I know what it is, they probably don't know about all RB's transfers.

OH Boys Bowling: Week 1
Rnk Team Pts Recent/Next Game
1 Fairfield 18
1 Hamilton 18 (1)
3 Middletown 16 (1)
3 Oak Hills 16
3 St. Xavier 16
6 Glen Este 14 (1)
7 Northwest 11
8 Wilmington 9
9 Lakota West 8
9 Milford 8
Others: Elder 7, Badin 6, Moeller 5, Walnut Hills 5, Harrison 4, Monroe 2, Colerain 1, Loveland 1

Taken from todays Enquirer.

This is clearly a misprint. There is no mention of RB. Oh, I know what it is, they probably don't know about all RB's transfers.

OH Boys Bowling: Week 1
Rnk Team Pts Recent/Next Game
1 Fairfield 18
1 Hamilton 18 (1)
3 Middletown 16 (1)
3 Oak Hills 16
3 St. Xavier 16
6 Glen Este 14 (1)
7 Northwest 11
8 Wilmington 9
9 Lakota West 8
9 Milford 8
Others: Elder 7, Badin 6, Moeller 5, Walnut Hills 5, Harrison 4, Monroe 2, Colerain 1, Loveland 1[/Q

well this doesnt really matter now does it cause its all preseason ----. this means nothing until they boys actually start to hit the lanes. and no one knows how much rb has improved with hard work and dedication of all their players and coaches. im telling you they got 5 kids who average in the mid 200s and of course hagen who averages a 300.:thumb:

Let me guess. You are Q's buddy and instead of him saying something stupid you are doing it on his behalf.

As for x, the only thing I know about them is what their coach said in the paper. He made it sound like they will be average to start with.

As for RB, I am amazed they are not considers one of the top 18 teams in the city.

Ham beats Colerain. Tillery and Groh avg 200 plus. Grow threw a 247 only to have rough second game 158. Seems like a time it would have been good to take advantage of the new rule. Subs

Lakota East throws a 2730 to take Mason. Not sure on the particulars, but maybe the sub rule backfired for Mason. They had a sub bowl in game one and he through a 145.

Last edited:
Wilmington 2 - 0. Shoot 2865 in first game. Not too bad for the first week. Sutter shoots a 290.

Last edited:
I'd agree with tanner he seems to know alot about bowling. As for Fatman i question whether or not he knows what a bowling alley is. I wouldn't be surprised if RB's fogarty center has a banner displaying a national championship for the 2011 bowling year. also the fingers of the bowling team will be glimmering after they clean house, and by house i mean the entire state of OHIO:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'd agree with tanner he seems to know alot about bowling. As for Fatman i question whether or not he knows what a bowling alley is. I wouldn't be surprised if RB's fogarty center has a banner displaying a national championship for the 2011 bowling year. also the fingers of the bowling team will be glimmering after they clean house, and by house i mean the entire state of OHIO:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am sorry to see you have the clap.
I suppose I know where you caught it, Tanner.

I am sorry to see you have the clap.
I suppose I know where you caught it, Tanner.

i guess that supposed to be funny? so ill entertain you fatass, HAHAHAHAHAHA. im glad i could boost your self esteem today buddy. so i guess you had no comment about bacon winning state this year because you no it will happen. they had a scrimmage and this new kid named jake strotman came out for bowling and shot a 400!!!!!!!!!! yea he is that good:banana: :banana: :banana: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tanner, I think that Fatman is just jealous of Roger Bacon's bowling team this year. Coach Ralph warned the RB team about people who try to bring them down. I guess when your the top team in the nation everyone is gunning for you. Fatma you should try getting laid, it'll make you less grumpy..... HOLA HOLA