Toledo Area Basketball 23-24

Whitmer has a bunch of scorers in the 6'1" to 6'4" range but the one thing they lack is an athletic big. They have the big olineman (Carter Lowe 6'6" 300) but he is not really a basketball player and has seen very limited minutes.

I think any team that can beat the Panthers up in the paint and slow the pace will have success. Whitmer has scorers who want to "get theirs" and will become frustrated when they don't. In my experience, any time a bunch of talent comes together suddenly, much like this year's team, it never ends well as they struggle to gel and play as a unit. Time will tell and today should be a decent challenge.

Whitmer has a bunch of scorers in the 6'1" to 6'4" range but the one thing they lack is an athletic big. They have the big olineman (Carter Lowe 6'6" 300) but he is not really a basketball player and has seen very limited minutes.

I think any team that can beat the Panthers up in the paint and slow the pace will have success. Whitmer has scorers who want to "get theirs" and will become frustrated when they don't. In my experience, any time a bunch of talent comes together suddenly, much like this year's team, it never ends well as they struggle to gel and play as a unit. Time will tell and today should be a decent challenge.
Agree mostly, most of these kids played a lot of younger AAU together so you would think they realize who they’re dealing with. But I’ve seen before, when college A comes to visit West and not Leach, problems will arise.

I was at the Lima Sr./Toledo Whitmer game Tuesday night and it was a terrific HS game. Whitmer played an excellent
defensive game against the Spartans, one of the most impressive defensive efforts I have seen in a long time at a Lima Sr.
home game. Whitmer led 35-33 at the half and at the end of the 3rd quarter Whitmer still led by 2 {50-48}.

Although the game was tied 61-61 at the end of regulation , a very inexcusable technical file against the Spartans very late in the game with Whitmer making both foul shots allowed Whitmer the momentum to end the regulation tied. Eliminate that dumb technical foul at such a critical time and I have my doubts an overtime would have been necessary. In the overtime Whitmer's two big guns, Antione West and Makhi Leach each hit a trey immediately to begin the overtime and that pretty much was the ball game. Whitmer outscored the Spartans 17-13 in the OT. A great game to watch !

Antione West had a game high 30 points and Makhi Leach had 27 points to lead Whitmer while Isaiah Wilson led Lima Sr with 26 Je'kel Cotton had 15 points and freshman Noah Simpson came off the bench and also scored 15 including 4 treys ( yes, he is Coach Simpson's son).

Most fans outside of Lima don't realize the Spartans are playing without their starting point guard from last season, freshman sensation Amari Addy won't be available this year until late January or early February at the earliest. Amari suffered a serious injury in May and is a huge loss for Lima Sr.. He was the engineer that drove the train last year, knew everyone's role , what defenses played, terrific ball handler. A team leader as a freshman is not common and his presence would make a significant difference for this year's team.

A final note: Ohio State basketball head coach Chris Holtmann and his family, (wife and daughter} were in attendance at
the game sitting a few rows across from me. Probably scouting Antione West would be my guess? I know I was very impressed with West and Makhi Leach, Whitmer's two big scorers. Very good players. Whitmer will be a tough opponent for anyone in NW Ohio this year. Lima Sr. should be much better as the season progresses and their younger players gain more experience.

Some additional Lima Sr. news I learned about Saturday night impacting the Spartans : Je'kel Cotton one of Lima's starting forwards and leading scorers in addition to being the 2nd tallest player on the roster at 6'6" suffered a broken bone in his foot Friday night at Toledo Woodward in a 92-38 win. It is unclear how long he will be out of lineup. This creates another void for the Spartans coupled with Amari Addy being unavailable until February as previously mentioned. Not good news at all.

JB.

Last edited:
I was at the Lima Sr./Toledo Whitmer game Tuesday night and it was a terrific HS game. Whitmer played an excellent
defensive game against the Spartans, one of the most impressive defensive efforts I have seen in a long time at a Lima Sr.
home game. Whitmer led 35-33 at the half and at the end of the 3rd quarter Whitmer still led by 2 {50-48}.

Although the game was tied 61-61 at the end of regulation , a very inexcusable technical file against the Spartans very late in the game with Whitmer making both foul shots allowed Whitmer the momentum to end the regulation tied. Eliminate that dumb technical foul at such a critical time and I have my doubts an overtime would have been necessary. In the overtime Whitmer's two big guns, Antione West and Makhi Leach each hit a trey immediately to begin the overtime and that pretty much was the ball game. Whitmer outscored the Spartans 17-13 in the OT. A great game to watch !

Antione West had a game high 30 points and Makhi Leach had 27 points to lead Whitmer while Isaiah Wilson led Lima Sr with 26 Je'kel Cotton had 15 points and freshman Noah Simpson came off the bench and also scored 15 including 4 treys ( yes, he is Coach Simpson's son).

Most fans outside of Lima don't realize the Spartans are playing without their starting point guard from last season, freshman sensation Amari Addy won't be available this year until late January or early February at the earliest. Amari suffered a serious injury in May and is a huge loss for Lima Sr.. He was the engineer that drove the train last year, knew everyone's role , what defenses played, terrific ball handler. A team leader as a freshman is not common and his presence would make a significant difference for this year's team.

A final note: Ohio State basketball head coach Chris Holtmann and his family, (wife and daughter} were in attendance at
the game sitting a few rows across from me. Probably scouting Antione West would be my guess? I know I was very impressed with West and Makhi Leach, Whitmer's two big scorers. Very good players. Whitmer will be a tough opponent for anyone in NW Ohio this year. Lima Sr. should be much better as the season progresses and their younger players gain more experience.

JB
Great info. How does Noah compare to Xavier?

Great info. How does Noah compare to Xavier?
RRMA700:

According to Coach Q, who I consider an excellent source of information, in comparing his two sons
Coach Q stated that he believes at this stage in their career, Noah is the better offensive player but
Xavier was better defensively.

JB

Whitmer just destroys a good Glenville team 80-43.

I guess they are pretty good.
Certainly looked the part. I ended up leaving at half and heading to CSU. Got to see the second half of Garfield-Huntington Prep and all of Richmond-Ignatius. Even though the competititon level for Ignatius and Garfield was way better Whitmer was the most impressive D1 team I saw yesterday

70-27 aint no way these scrubs gonna stand a chance against northwood on saturday night. Barely beat a terrible whiteford team, got blown out by tc, 70-27 to evergreen (yes the same evergreen team that lost a god awful stritch team) just as ai said Ottawa hills and stritch will be cakewalks for northwood. and just like is said northwood will running clock Lindsay and his feathered hair. Rangers on the come up.
The streak continues Rangers lose their 37th straight to Ottawa Hills. New prediction Northwood with a big goose egg in Taac wins this year.

JB
I really appreciate this. I did see Whitmer drilled Glenville. TBH I have no context of Glenville basketball and assumed they would be better based on their football success.

Lima Sr. is D1 correct? So there is a chance Whitmer and the Spartans could meet up again in the playoffs right?

West and Leach both return next season (unless West goes the Prep route) and it sounds like Lima Sr. will be VERY good over the next 3 seasons.

The streak continues Rangers lose their 37th straight to Ottawa Hills. New prediction Northwood with a big goose egg in Taac wins this year.
LOL, no chance. Stritch will not win a league game. Northwood has 2 gimmes in them. Northwood again had 1 bad quarter but other than that one quarter, they are right there. They will annihilate ottawa hills in northwood. Book that. Early season jitters happen and seeing how TC has difficulty scoring the ball, they could be ripe as well. I'll admit that MV might be a notch above but the rest of league is gettable. Northwood moves out of league play this week for a battle of my loyalty. Lake has looked decent but I am afraid that their style lends for northwood to find themselves and get right. Northwood is too talented to just keep missing. Northwood 81-Lake 66. It will be a good game but northwood gets right going into the holidays.

When was the last northwood win?

Looks like before 2005.

1702906425816.png

The absolute best case scenario for Northwood at this point is 11-11 (3-7 TAAC). I’m guessing they’ll finish around 6-16 like last year. The real question is at what point does Flyer give up hope?

gibsonburg,Lake, Fostoria, Evergreen, Maumee, Waite, stritch, van buren, north baltimore, oh,swanton,lakota,woodmore,stritch ---------------thats 14 for sures

home against maybes : TC, EC

It's looking like somewhere between 14-16 wins--- could drop as far as 13 wins or as high as 17.

Looking at MaxPreps, Northwood is 0-33 against Ottawa Hills, 0-31 against Toledo Christian, and 0-15 against Swanton since records began. This would be the year to get Swanton as they graduated all but one player from last season's team.

gibsonburg,Lake, Fostoria, Evergreen, Maumee, Waite, stritch, van buren, north baltimore, oh,swanton,lakota,woodmore,stritch ---------------thats 14 for sures

home against maybes : TC, EC

It's looking like somewhere between 14-16 wins--- could drop as far as 13 wins or as high as 17.
Ok, then once they’ve lost their 10th game I don’t want to see another post about them.