The Official 2023 Cincinnati Reds Thread

He clearly showed that India would be an above average offensive LF. 11th out of 30 in OPS, 2nd out of 30 in doubles, 16th in HR. Pretty clear to me.
Nobody is trading India.....Hell, he is exactly the type of player this rebuild was designed to produce. Productive, cheap, and under team control for an extended period. I do agree they need to get him out of the middle of the infield. Third base? Left field? They'll find a spot for him somewhere, to make room for EDLC and CES.....India is a run scoring machine. To me the only two measures of an offensive player are how many runs you scored, and how many runs you drove in. Plus, India is a major influence in that clubhouse.

Bell is not a press secretary giving you info. He is not a news reporter there for you. He is a manager, and a manager never gives opponents info. If the Boston manager is thinking about a pitching change, and he thinks Friedl is in the dugout with his .330 batting average, and he might pinch-hit, maybe it affects his choice of reliever, so he does not go with a righty?
I think you're giving him way too much credit. He stammers through every pre and post game presser the same way.

Does anybody know, is the Buster Posey rule still in affect in MLB. That tag play at the plate in the 3rd or 4th inning was textbook Buster Posey rule. If the catcher is allowed to block the plate without the ball and the runner is not allowed run through the catcher, that is a hell of an advantage to the catcher. Guys like Mike Scioscia and Johnny Bench would have never let anybody get to home plate if they had that rule when they played.

The amount of money the bullpen pitchers make absolutely makes me sick. I cannot imagine being paid hundreds of thousand of dollars to not do a job.

I think you're giving him way too much credit. He stammers through every pre and post game presser the same way.
So don't watch/listen. 🤷‍♂️

I've never watched or listened to a single coach's press conference, for any sport. They are almost never informative, and usually all cliches. Waste of time. If there is ever a classic rant (Mora's "Playoffs?") I can see it on video later...

Reds bullpen is absolute garbage outside of one guy.
The amount of money the bullpen pitchers make absolutely makes me sick. I cannot imagine being paid hundreds of thousand of dollars to not do a job.
Is the bullpen bad, except for Diaz? Yes. However, it is 20th in the MLB in ERA so there are 10 worse ones...

As for the amount of money they make, well, most of them make the league minimum. I think the only exceptions are Farmer and Sims (maybe Young), and they are slightly over the minimum.

And there you have the problem. Ownership and management going cheap on the bullpen (and the entire team).

Does anybody know, is the Buster Posey rule still in affect in MLB. That tag play at the plate in the 3rd or 4th inning was textbook Buster Posey rule. If the catcher is allowed to block the plate without the ball and the runner is not allowed run through the catcher, that is a hell of an advantage to the catcher. Guys like Mike Scioscia and Johnny Bench would have never let anybody get to home plate if they had that rule when they played.
Here’s the description of the rule:

From what I have heard announcers say over time, a catcher has to give a lane while awaiting a throw on a fly ball. Once he has the ball in his possession, he’s free to eliminate that lane. And apparently on infield grounders a lane doesn’t need to be given at all, although that might just be for plays where a runner could be forced out at home.

Last night’s play was really close. I’d have to go back and rewatch it, but it didn’t seem egregious to me, so I wasn’t surprised they stuck with the out call on the field. My initial reaction was that the catcher caught the ball and instinctively threw his left leg out there as that happened.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Can’t help but think I’d rather have Cessa as part of the bottom of the bullpen instead of nobodies like Herget, Cruz and Salazar. Yeah, I know there have been injuries and theoretically those spots would be Antone, Santillan, Law, Sanmartin or maybe Legumina. But there’s a reason Herget and Cruz only finally made it to MLB late last season in their 30s. There was no reason to DFA Cessa.

So don't watch/listen. 🤷‍♂️

I've never watched or listened to a single coach's press conference, for any sport. They are almost never informative, and usually all cliches. Waste of time. If there is ever a classic rant (Mora's "Playoffs?") I can see it on video later...
You must watch next to no sports. There are managers/ coaches interviewed on a daily basis and like alot of things, some are really good, some are really bad and some are just moody and do the bare minimum. I feel Bell fits the last two.
Bryan Price, the most recent manager of the Reds, I felt was an excellent interview. I felt he tried to at least answer the questions asked, and if these guys don't know any better, this is one way they can communicate with the fans in a non-competitive manner. After the game when being questioned about game decisions, THEN it gets a little uncomfortable, by design.

Here’s the description of the rule:

From what I have heard announcers say over time, a catcher has to give a lane while awaiting a throw on a fly ball. Once he has the ball in his possession, he’s free to eliminate that lane. And apparently on infield grounders a lane doesn’t need to be given at all, although that might just be for plays where a runner could be forced out at home.

Last night’s play was really close. I’d have to go back and rewatch it, but it didn’t seem egregious to me, so I wasn’t surprised they stuck with the out call on the field. My initial reaction was that the catcher caught the ball and instinctively threw his left leg out there as that happened.

I was listening on the radio and Thrall and Brantly thought it was a clear block. I believe the original rule was to give the runner some part of the plate. Now originally the rule was over called a few years back and it's really gone back to the old rule. Now I do think Steer could had gone straight into the plate and had the best chance of getting there as the ball hopped to about eye level of the catcher and Steer could had got his foot in befor the tag. He choose - like many - to go to the outside part behind the plate and stick his hand in the back door. This is good only if the catcher is up the line, otherwise it's a slower way to get there. Steer's mistake was not scoring on Stephenson's double off the wall from 2nd base.

Can’t help but think I’d rather have Cessa as part of the bottom of the bullpen instead of nobodies like Herget, Cruz and Salazar. Yeah, I know there have been injuries and theoretically those spots would be Antone, Santillan, Law, Sanmartin or maybe Legumina. But there’s a reason Herget and Cruz only finally made it to MLB late last season in their 30s. There was no reason to DFA Cessa.

This is true cherry picking and armchair quarterbacking. Now Kevin Herget is a nobody, like you say, but he is a major league pitcher, and up until last night, he was doing the job of a guy on the lower end of the bullpen. Before last night, he was 10 appearances, 2.55 ERA. And we know the bullpen has been incredibly better than we ever expected going into the season.
Here's the deal, through an entire season, you are going to need every person in that bullpen to contribute. Now we can debate until the cows come home how pitchers are used these days. How guys who only throw 20-30 pitches can't be available every day is beyond me, but it's the way things are done now. Remember Tuesday, the Reds were up 8-0 and had to burn Buck Farmer and Alexis Diaz to eek out a 9-8 decision, that affects the way the bullpen is used the rest of the series.
I don't thik we miss Luis Cessa at all.

You must watch next to no sports. There are managers/ coaches interviewed on a daily basis and like alot of things, some are really good, some are really bad and some are just moody and do the bare minimum. I feel Bell fits the last two.
Bryan Price, the most recent manager of the Reds, I felt was an excellent interview. I felt he tried to at least answer the questions asked, and if these guys don't know any better, this is one way they can communicate with the fans in a non-competitive manner. After the game when being questioned about game decisions, THEN it gets a little uncomfortable, by design.
I watch a ton of sports. Ask my wife, she will say too much. I just don;t watch boring pre and post game press conferences. I watch the actual sports.

Well even with last night's loss, the mojo and mindset about this team has done a 180 in about 10 days. Suddenly, partly because the NL Central isn't great, the Reds, even though the Reds are 4 games under .500, they have a chance to really get back in the division race with a good weekend vs. the division leading Brewers. Not a great starter game tonight as we get Milwaukee's best in Corbin Burnes, and the Reds send Brandon Williamson to the GAPB mound. Gigantic crowd expected tonight as it's a home Friday, so that means Fireworks Friday, and the Zac Brown band also plays. Some are speculating this may be the biggest crowd in GABP history.

Needless to say Reds baseball is alive and well, and it's fun seeing people get excited about this team.

I watch a ton of sports. Ask my wife, she will say too much. I just don;t watch boring pre and post game press conferences. I watch the actual sports.
Bingo. Most nights I have the Reds and White Sox games on my two screens. When a game ends, I switch to another game or, more often recently, MLB Big Inning (MLB’s version of RedZone). Sticking around for a postgame show is a complete waste of time.

The only times in my life I’ve ever sought out postgame press conferences were when the Pats used to be on SNF frequently. If they took a loss, I’d put on SportsCenter to see how much of an obstinate, non-answering jerk Belichick would be with the media because I found it entertaining.

This is true cherry picking and armchair quarterbacking. Now Kevin Herget is a nobody, like you say, but he is a major league pitcher, and up until last night, he was doing the job of a guy on the lower end of the bullpen. Before last night, he was 10 appearances, 2.55 ERA. And we know the bullpen has been incredibly better than we ever expected going into the season.
Here's the deal, through an entire season, you are going to need every person in that bullpen to contribute. Now we can debate until the cows come home how pitchers are used these days. How guys who only throw 20-30 pitches can't be available every day is beyond me, but it's the way things are done now. Remember Tuesday, the Reds were up 8-0 and had to burn Buck Farmer and Alexis Diaz to eek out a 9-8 decision, that affects the way the bullpen is used the rest of the series.
I don't thik we miss Luis Cessa at all.
Cherry picking? Here’s what I said here on May 10 when Cessa got DFA’ed:

I really don’t understand what Nick Krall is doing here.

1. Cessa is a serviceable long reliever; he had decent enough numbers from 2019 forward as a reliever to warrant staying on the team in a long relief role. There’s no reason to DFA him unless it’s to clear a spot for young guys. If they put him in relief and he finds his footing again, he’d at least be tradeable for a lottery ticket at the deadline.

Cherry picking? Here’s what I said here on May 10 when Cessa got DFA’ed:

I really don’t understand what Nick Krall is doing here.

1. Cessa is a serviceable long reliever; he had decent enough numbers from 2019 forward as a reliever to warrant staying on the team in a long relief role. There’s no reason to DFA him unless it’s to clear a spot for young guys. If they put him in relief and he finds his footing again, he’d at least be tradeable for a lottery ticket at the deadline.

My point was when the bullpen was doing fantastic, which they have for the last month, Cessa's name didn't come up. I'd actually forgot about him. Bullpen stubs their toe this week a few times and we're ripping the bullpen and conjuring up names of the past. Herget, Cruz, and especially Salazar have a role. In games where it's got out of hand early, someone has to go in and eat up innings to get through the games. They are generally guys you're not going to put into high leverage situations. Now this week, due to using guys alot, Herget was thrust into a tight game yesterday and unfortunately didn't work out. Imagine if Buck Farmer blows the game Wednesday night what it would had been like?

Just to be clear, while others have, I have not ripped the bullpen. They have had some good stretches and won some games when crap starters like Cessa and Overton went 2-3 innings. I did say they are 20th out of 30 (fact), and I did say that most of them make the league minimum. The Reds have gotten pretty good mileage out of what is undoubtedly the cheapest bullpen in the MLB.

I reserve my criticism for the cheapskate mis-managers that assembled the bullpen, as well as the rest of the roster.

Just to be clear, while others have, I have not ripped the bullpen. They have had some good stretches and won some games when crap starters like Cessa and Overton went 2-3 innings. I did say they are 20th out of 30 (fact), and I did say that most of them make the league minimum. The Reds have gotten pretty good mileage out of what is undoubtedly the cheapest bullpen in the MLB.

I reserve my criticism for the cheapskate mis-managers that assembled the bullpen, as well as the rest of the roster.
No doubt, I think all of us ripped the bullpen and the lack of doing much about it during the offseason didn't make us very optimistic going into the season, then with Santillan, Dunn, Antone and Kuhnel all being injured our expectations were very low. Now weather Krall knew he had something with this bullpen or he's just got lucky, adding to this is the fact that our starters have not been great, the bullpen has been more than outstanding in holding things together. Other than the last few games, this team sometimes struggles to score.
Luis Cessa? Who knows, he'd been on the record that he wanted to be a starter and maybe that had something to do with it.

This team just is not good. EDLC isn't gonna solve the numerous issues and lack of talent this team has. Milwaukee is clearly much better and honestly so was Boston. Boston should have swept the Reds. After tonight I don't think the Reds get a win in this series.

This team just is not good. EDLC isn't gonna solve the numerous issues and lack of talent this team has. Milwaukee is clearly much better and honestly so was Boston. Boston should have swept the Reds. After tonight I don't think the Reds get a win in this series.
Wow you are usually so positive, I'm surprised.

Milwaukee is not that good either. Just faced their ace Burnes. I'm expecting a 2-2 series. certainly not a sweep.