The Official 2023 Cincinnati Reds Thread

And on a serious note, what is the status of Bally's sports and the Reds games this summer? Bally's is filing bankruptcy. Are we going to be able to see Reds games on TV?
Bally Sports isn’t going out of business. At least for now. They’re filing for restructuring bankruptcy. But I’d assume this is the final season of the Reds being broadcast through Bally.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Ok, let's break this down really simply for you. You and I and about 99.5% of Reds fans are peons. Our like, dislike of management / owners does not mean a rip to them.
It should. Fans’ decision to stay away from GABP on account of Phil Castellini and the bumbling ways of the ownership group is costing them untold millions of dollars annually that could otherwise be put toward acquiring more established, successful players. Which maybe could keep Phil from whining to Rosie Reds about why the Reds will be out of contention before Opening Day.

Last edited:
Bally Sports isn’t going out of business. At least for now. They’re filing for restructuring bankruptcy. But I’d assume this is the final season of the Reds being broadcast through Bally.

That's good, I really enjoy watching the Reds all summer, no matter the outcome.

It should. Fans’ decision to stay away from GABP on account of Phil Castellini and the bumbling ways of the ownership group is costing them untold millions of dollars annually that could otherwise be put toward acquiring more established, successful players. Which maybe could keep Phil from whining to Rosie Reds about why the Reds will be out of contention before Opening Day.

So the plan is to go young, let the kids play. Why in the world would you go out and spend money on veterans to just clog up the pipeline??

So the plan is to go young, let the kids play. Why in the world would you go out and spend money on veterans to just clog up the pipeline??
They’re going to have to spend next year if they want to be a legit competitor. The pipeline isn’t going to fill up an entire major league roster.

The best-case scenario for 2024 is that young guys competently fill the following spots:

DH: Stephenson/Encarnacion-Strand
1B: Stephenson/Encarnacion-Strand
2B: India
SS: McLain
3B: Marte
CF: De La Cruz
LF: Fraley

Utility: Steer, Barrero
Backup OF: Benson (maybe starter in RF if he breaks through?)

SP: Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Williamson

RP: Diaz, Sanmartin, Sims, Santillan

By my count, if you want a really good team, you’ll have to buy a catcher, right fielder, starting pitcher, and significant bullpen help. And that assumes that all these young ballyhooed prospects become legit useful to good major-leaguers pretty quickly, which it’s unlikely to hit on 100% of them being successful.

Will ownership roll out the checkbook for true impact free agents or will they say, “Well, fans aren’t coming to the games and local TV money is up in the air, so we have to keep payroll low”?

Plus, if the team gets into contention, will the team aggressively add payroll at the deadline or go cheap like every other trade deadline in this ownership group’s tenure when the Reds had a playoff chance? If I remember correctly, Jonathan Broxton is the biggest deadline addition in the Castellini era.

They’re going to have to spend next year if they want to be a legit competitor. The pipeline isn’t going to fill up an entire major league roster.

The best-case scenario for 2024 is that young guys competently fill the following spots:

DH: Stephenson/Encarnacion-Strand
1B: Stephenson/Encarnacion-Strand
2B: India
SS: McLain
3B: Marte
CF: De La Cruz
LF: Fraley

Utility: Steer, Barrero
Backup OF: Benson (maybe starter in RF if he breaks through?)

SP: Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft, Williamson

RP: Diaz, Sanmartin, Sims, Santillan

By my count, if you want a really good team, you’ll have to buy a catcher, right fielder, starting pitcher, and significant bullpen help. And that assumes that all these young ballyhooed prospects become legit useful to good major-leaguers pretty quickly, which it’s unlikely to hit on 100% of them being successful.

Will ownership roll out the checkbook for true impact free agents or will they say, “Well, fans aren’t coming to the games and local TV money is up in the air, so we have to keep payroll low”?

Plus, if the team gets into contention, will the team aggressively add payroll at the deadline or go cheap like every other trade deadline in this ownership group’s tenure when the Reds had a playoff chance? If I remember correctly, Jonathan Broxton is the biggest deadline addition in the Castellini era.

This makes alot of sense, but you're not going to go buy a starting pitcher now, when the rates are the highest. I think if somehow this team is in semi-contention mid season, you go get a starter. Remember Greene, Lodolo and Ashcraft will still be on pitch limits, so even if we're surviving mid season, those guys are not going to pitch any more than recommended. Not my opinion, but the way they do things now.
Wil Myers is your rightfielder for the season. I think the bullpen will be a revolving door of people.

Ok, let's break this down really simply for you. You and I and about 99.5% of Reds fans are peons. Our like, dislike of management / owners does not mean a rip to them. It's a non-discussion point. They are owners, they are invested in this team and this city. They are not selling or they would have sold long before now.
So....if you want to live in the past 3-4 years and complain about 100 loss seasons (honestly does it really matter if you lose 85 games or 105??) If you're not in the playoffs, you're not in the playoffs.
This team has a clear direction now and the young pieces moving forward. Either stay on the bus or jump off, I really don't care.
You said the Reds have the best players in the world. Clearly they don't, so I put some numbers around it. Not sure what your point is in this response.

I'm staying on the bus. But I'm going to be a noisy passenger until we get a smarter person driving the bus and the owner of the bus gets us some better equipment.

Pretty excited to see the Reds actually stealing bases here in spring training so far. I've been saying for years the running game has to be part of your offense. Now I take exception to David Bell's comments ( nothing new) before the game that he's a big proponent of stealing bases. No he's not. We've been at the bottom league in steals for the last couple of years.

You said the Reds have the best players in the world. Clearly they don't, so I put some numbers around it. Not sure what your point is in this response.

I'm staying on the bus. But I'm going to be a noisy passenger until we get a smarter person driving the bus and the owner of the bus gets us some better equipment.
You don't get to pick who drives the bus, nor who owns the bus.

Why would you give playing time to a first basemen who isn't going to be here next season?

The Abbott and Costello version:
1677554299232.png

The Reds fans version:
1677554422372.png

While it is hindsight, I absolutely said at the time that Votto should be traded then.

The Reds were a bad team with a massive amount of future money owed to one player.
Joey Votto was always overrated. From what I could always tell he would pile on hits and home runs against bad teams but when it came time to be clutch in the playoffs and big series games he never came through. He’s a guy who got the most out of his talent but he’s also a guy with a high floor and low ceiling.

It is kind of true that given the moves the Reds have made, it would probably be optimal for the franchise’s future if Votto’s 2023 playing time were significantly reduced.

Honestly, it’s the combined recent acquisitions of Wil Myers and Will Benson that make me say that. Prior to that, I would’ve been fine with Votto splitting 1B and DH with Stephenson.

Here are Reds outfielders, 1B/DH who need to be featured every day, more or less:

1. Wil Myers — Because you’re trying to build up his value for a trade deadline move. Or, if he’s good and loves playing for the Reds, he could be a reasonable short-term extension candidate for RF/1B/DH.

2. Jake Fraley — Need to see if his hot stretch from the second half last year was for real.

3. Will Benson — Has the athleticism and pretty solid minor-league credentials. Needs an extended major-league trial period.

4. Nick Senzel — Because it’s his last chance to figure it out and remain a part of this team’s future plans. Could also be a case of building a little value for a trade.

5. TJ Friedl — He has played pretty well in his limited major-league chances and deserves a full trial run to see if he can stick in the bigs.

6. Tyler Stephenson — Ideally you want to see what he does at the plate for a full season without having the burden of catching.

So right there are six guys who need significant playing time for five spots, all of which are relevant to future decision-making. And that’s without adding Votto as a seventh body to that mix. And that’s not factoring in that Encarnacion-Strand could continue to put up good numbers in the minors and force his way onto the big-league roster later this season.

Last edited:
No he shouldn't be.

This team is rebuilding. Votto should not see any playing time. This is the year to find out who the first baseman going forward will be.
When healthy, Joey can be one of your most productive players. You can always find first basemen. I believe the plan is to transition Tyler Stephenson to first base after this season.

It is kind of true that given the moves the Reds have made, it would probably be optimal for the franchise’s future if Votto’s 2023 playing time were significantly reduced.

Honestly, it’s the combined recent acquisitions of Wil Myers and Will Benson that make me say that. Prior to that, I would’ve been fine with Votto splitting 1B and DH with Stephenson.

Here are Reds outfielders, 1B/DH who need to be featured every day, more or less:

1. Wil Myers — Because you’re trying to build up his value for a trade deadline move. Or, if he’s good and loves playing for the Reds, he could be a reasonable short-term extension candidate for RF/1B/DH.

2. Jake Fraley — Need to see if his hot stretch from the second half last year was for real.

3. Will Benson — Has the athleticism and pretty solid minor-league credentials. Needs an extended major-league trial period.

4. Nick Senzel — Because it’s his last chance to figure it out and remain a part of this team’s future plans. Could also be a case of building a little value for a trade.

5. TJ Friedl — He has played pretty well in his limited major-league chances and deserves a full trial run to see if he can stick in the bigs.

6. Tyler Stephenson — Ideally you want to see what he does at the plate for a full season without having the burden of catching.

So right there are six guys who need significant playing time for five spots, all of which are relevant to future decision-making. And that’s without adding Votto as a seventh body to that mix. And that’s not factoring in that Encarnacion-Strand could continue to put up good numbers in the minors and force his way onto the big-league roster later this season.

The #1 factor for this list is health, the track record of nearly everyone on this list is not good for being able to play daily, other than maybe Myers. For us moving forward, I think we really need Stephenson and India to have seasons where they are available 130-140 games. No obviously they are not going to play that many games, but another season where India misses half the season or more and Stephenson as well and you really can't make any kind of long term commitment to them.

For us moving forward, I think we really need Stephenson and India to have seasons where they are available 130-140 games. No obviously they are not going to play that many games, but another season where India misses half the season or more and Stephenson as well and you really can't make any kind of long term commitment to them.
India played 150 games in 2021 and gutted it out through 103 games last season despite two known injuries: a) the hamstring pull that the Reds idiotically allowed him to come back from nearly immediately, thus causing it to get injured worse; and b) the shin injury/compartment syndrome-like issue from getting beaned in the Field of Dreams game.

Tyler Stephenson played 132 games in 2021 before the three catching-related injuries kept him to 50 last year.

If they keep Stephenson away from catcher like a sane organization would do, it would be reasonable to expect both these guys to play at least 140 games this year. Frankly, I’d be disappointed if they play fewer games than that.

I have lost the energy needed to respond to all of 14Red's nonsense. Thank you to those of you taking on that burden. At least he cleared up the fact that I do not get to pick the GM or owner.

When healthy, Joey can be one of your most productive players. You can always find first basemen. I believe the plan is to transition Tyler Stephenson to first base after this season.
Who cares if he is productive?
It doesn't matter if has his best year of his career. This team isn't winning enough to make the playoffs. Every AB Joey gets is one less AB to find your future 1B.

The #1 factor for this list is health, the track record of nearly everyone on this list is not good for being able to play daily, other than maybe Myers. For us moving forward, I think we really need Stephenson and India to have seasons where they are available 130-140 games. No obviously they are not going to play that many games, but another season where India misses half the season or more and Stephenson as well and you really can't make any kind of long term commitment to them.
Production is the number one concern.

I don't care if a guy is healthy if he isn't productive.

Transition Joey to strictly DH, then find out who is a reliable starting 1B for the future of the Reds. Keeps Joey from suffering a potential field injury, and allows his bat to be in the lineup still. The Reds are in a rebuild mode still. Its unfortunate because it seems like every time they have success they have to tear it down as quick as they found it.

Can't imagine being in Joey's shoes and watching the revolving door of players around him. Sure, the money's good, he's a fan favorite, but he's essentially what Joe Thomas meant to the Browns. If I had to compare his situation to another team's it might be Miguel Cabrera on the Tigers. Votto will never make a World Series, but at least he was a consistent Reds player. Maybe the Reds ship him off to be an extra bat in a contending team's lineup. Every team could use a lefty to use.

Transition Joey to strictly DH, then find out who is a reliable starting 1B for the future of the Reds. Keeps Joey from suffering a potential field injury, and allows his bat to be in the lineup still. The Reds are in a rebuild mode still. Its unfortunate because it seems like every time they have success they have to tear it down as quick as they found it.

Can't imagine being in Joey's shoes and watching the revolving door of players around him. Sure, the money's good, he's a fan favorite, but he's essentially what Joe Thomas meant to the Browns. If I had to compare his situation to another team's it might be Miguel Cabrera on the Tigers. Votto will never make a World Series, but at least he was a consistent Reds player. Maybe the Reds ship him off to be an extra bat in a contending team's lineup. Every team could use a lefty to use.
Joey has a no trade clause and I'd be shocked if he would allow a trade. He's just not wired that way.

... Can't imagine being in Joey's shoes and watching the revolving door of players around him. Sure, the money's good, he's a fan favorite, but he's essentially what Joe Thomas meant to the Browns. ...
This is a brilliant comparison. Exactly right. Joe Thomas was consistently All-Pro quality, always there, but never won.

You said it far more elegantly than I did.

Not sure if any of you guys follow Reds chatter on Twitter, but sometimes I wonder whether Bryce Spalding (@bryce_spalding) and Nick Kirby (@nicholaspkirby) are on the Reds payroll as social media ops or something. Their relentless hyping of mediocre players and butt-smooching of Nick Krall is almost Baghdad Bob-like at times.

I don’t know why those guys bother me, but they kind of do. I guess it’s just how divorced from reality I judge them to be.

Like, my main takeaway from yesterday’s loss to the White Sox is that presumptive rotation choice Luke Weaver got rocked. But you wouldn’t know it from those guys. It’s all wine and roses from them.

Not sure if any of you guys follow Reds chatter on Twitter, but sometimes I wonder whether Bryce Spalding (@bryce_spalding) and Nick Kirby (@nicholaspkirby) are on the Reds payroll as social media ops or something. Their relentless hyping of mediocre players and butt-smooching of Nick Krall is almost Baghdad Bob-like at times.

I don’t know why those guys bother me, but they kind of do. I guess it’s just how divorced from reality I judge them to be.

Like, my main takeaway from yesterday’s loss to the White Sox is that presumptive rotation choice Luke Weaver got rocked. But you wouldn’t know it from those guys. It’s all wine and roses from them.

Yeah I read some of that stuff, and you are right. I think they are "homers" because they are afraid if they are honest they will get shut out by Krall and company, and not get any info.

So wait a minute...you get bothered by people who are hired BY THE TEAM, doesn't rip them daily like most social media??? Do you really think an employee can call their bosses cheap @holes???? I mean what do you expect? Now we were certainly spoiled by the Brennamans's and Jeff Brantley has a little lattitude but for the most part you rarely hear much negative from the team paid announcers.