The Official 2022 Cincinnati Reds Thread

In conjunction with the Reds Hall of Fame weekend, the fans have a chance to make their voices heard. There are 5 candidates for the Hall of Fame, Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Boone, Francisco Cordero, Aaron Harang and Scott Rolen. Fans can vote for one person, and can vote as often as they like, once per day.

I thought it was fantastic. Joey is such a different cat. He's very guarded with his opinions in most instances, but he did a really good job in the booth. Now, 80% of what he talks about with baseball is way too technical for the average fan. I do not see him doing that post baseball. I think he would be very bored with the day to day broadcasts. He also has enough money he wouldn't have to do that.

Now you look at guys like Jeff Brantley and Chris Welsh, they did not make big money in baseball, they kind of have to work and they are very good at their analyst roles. Barry Larkin is kind of unique in he doesn't have to work, but he only does Reds home games and is on a limited schedule, I'm sure by his doing.
Jeff Brantley is very good, Welsh not so much and B Lark, great player and great player.

In conjunction with the Reds Hall of Fame weekend, the fans have a chance to make their voices heard. There are 5 candidates for the Hall of Fame, Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Boone, Francisco Cordero, Aaron Harang and Scott Rolen. Fans can vote for one person, and can vote as often as they like, once per day.
The Reds Hall of Fame is so watered down. I guess I’d vote for Arroyo out of this group, maybe Harang next. Arroyo to me is the only one who might merit this type of consideration.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

Jeff Brantley is very good, Welsh not so much and B Lark, great player and great player.
Brantley is excellent. Welsh is boring but competent. Larkin is terrible. Votto could replace Larkin tomorrow and we’d all be better off for it.

I really like Brantley and Welsh, really interchangeable for me. Both give alot of really good insight into the game. Ironically, I also like Sam LeCure and Danny Graves when he's been in there. I think relief pitchers seem to do a good job of color commentary.
I never thought Barry was a great interview even as a player. He has a smugness about him that doesn't work for broadcasting. But hey, if he came to the Reds and said he was willing to do games, they probably jumped at the chance. He is one of the all time Reds favorties.

The Reds Hall of Fame is so watered down. I guess I’d vote for Arroyo out of this group, maybe Harang next. Arroyo to me is the only one who might merit this type of consideration.

Team halls of fame are going to be watered down, there isn't much use of having one if it's going to be really difficult to get in. Plus there isn't the rules. It should be about the fans and popularity. For me, I'd put Harang in this group. I have an issue with Rolen and Cordero in that they were in Cincy for such a short period of time, 4 years. Boone really only had one good season in Cincy. I'd put Bronson first, but this his first year eligible so he'll get in the next few years. Harang was our best pitcher in some pretty lean years.

I really like Brantley and Welsh, really interchangeable for me. Both give alot of really good insight into the game. Ironically, I also like Sam LeCure and Danny Graves when he's been in there. I think relief pitchers seem to do a good job of color commentary.
I never thought Barry was a great interview even as a player. He has a smugness about him that doesn't work for broadcasting. But hey, if he came to the Reds and said he was willing to do games, they probably jumped at the chance. He is one of the all time Reds favorties.
I enjoy anyone that doesn’t take themselves so very seriously. Hence why Brantley is excellent. Welsh I feel talks down to the listener plus I personally know the guy a little. Just not a fan and I’m trying to be nice.

I enjoy anyone that doesn’t take themselves so very seriously. Hence why Brantley is excellent. Welsh I feel talks down to the listener plus I personally know the guy a little. Just not a fan and I’m trying to be nice.
Yep. Highlight of many games is when Brantley is talking about eating. He knows baseball and especially pitching, but he's also funny.

Spencer Steer already is one of the top 4 most professional hitters on the Reds current roster, along with Votto, Stephenson and Solano. India would probably be next. Excellent debut with a HR, double, two walks and scored the winning run. He looked much more like a pro at the plate than guys like Barrero, Senzel, Aquino, etc.

Spencer Steer already is one of the top 4 most professional hitters on the Reds current roster, along with Votto, Stephenson and Solano. India would probably be next. Excellent debut with a HR, double, two walks and scored the winning run. He looked much more like a pro at the plate than guys like Barrero, Senzel, Aquino, etc.

As Lee Corso says, not so fast my friend. After Steer's 2-2 start with a double and homer Friday, he's 0-7. Let's just pump the brakes and see what he looks like the rest of the season and in spring training before we sign him to a long extension. It's baseball.

HS and College Football have started, Reds season is beyond over!!
Those games - for your teams - are once a week. Baseball is every day. I don't need 3 days of post game talk and 4 days of pre game. It's not that complicated. I'll keep following the Reds the rest of the way.
Caught game 2 Sunday vs. the Rocks in person. Chase Anderson dropped is ERA from 27 to 12, Reds route the Rockies 10-0 after the bullpen exploded after another great outing by Nick Lodolo in game 1.
I don't know who's going to be in the everyday lineup for '23, but Jake Fraley, TJ Friedl should be in the mix. I really like what they bring to the table. Now, I DO feel the Reds need to go get a legit thumper for one of the corner outfield spots. We need someone to build the lineup around in the middle of the lineup. There may never be more question marks going into '23 than what the Reds will have. You could write in ink, Votto 1B, Stephenson C and India and outside of that, there will be competition for every other position, I feel. The rotation looks young but good with Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft and whatever we want to add. Bullpen is a mess and outside of Diaz, we need to get that shored up. Guys hurt who will be back include TJ Antone, Justin Wilson, Tony Santillan, Lucas Sims.

Since the 3-22 start, this team is 50-58. Just thought I throw that out there.

As far as Bronson in the Reds hall of fame. Career with the Reds, 107-100, with a ERA over 4. Solid number 3 starter and great clubhouse guy. But playing guitar and having long hair doesn't make the hall for me. Maybe the JTM hall of fame for that commercial.

As far as Bronson in the Reds hall of fame. Career with the Reds, 107-100, with a ERA over 4. Solid number 3 starter and great clubhouse guy. But playing guitar and having long hair doesn't make the hall for me. Maybe the JTM hall of fame for that commercial.
Add to that if we had any assemblence of a bullpen, any at all, and that 50-58 would at least be reversed. I can put up with alot, but walks are absolute killers. Reds pitchers issues a grand total of 11 free passes last night, add to that the 9 hits the Cubs got an only giving up 9 runs is actually impressive.
You know one of the things that drives me nuts about today's baseball is the specialization and the limited innings these guys have. To me, they NEVER "get in the groove" because they are never allowed to pitch more than an inning or two at a time, and for about every single Reds pitcher, they've gone on the IL at some point this year, or they were picked up some time this season. The only Reds pitcher who's been with the team for most of the season is Hunter Strickland.
Between, Gibaut, Warren, Cruz and Sanmartin, the combined line looked like this, 2 innings, 6 earned runs, 5 hits and 7 walks!!! SEVEN walks!!! It's like a little league stat line. Chris Welsh mentioned in the game last night that the Reds have given up the most walks in baseball, other than Kansas City, two of the worst records in baseball. You walk people, you lose.

Not that TJ Fridel or Jake Fraley is going to be candidates for the Reds HOF, but they have to drive you nuts with their hair. And I'd guess Castillo has no shot in your book. I think you have to really scale back your expectations for the Reds HOF. As we know now pitching records isn't what they once were, but Arroyo took the ball and ate up innings after innings in his career. I think this season we can really see the value of that as if you can hand the ball off the the bullpen in the 7th rather than the 5th, makes a BIG difference over the season. For me, Bronson is the best of this group to go in, but I'd put Harang in now and maybe Bronson in a year or two.

Those games - for your teams - are once a week. Baseball is every day. I don't need 3 days of post game talk and 4 days of pre game. It's not that complicated. I'll keep following the Reds the rest of the way.
Caught game 2 Sunday vs. the Rocks in person. Chase Anderson dropped is ERA from 27 to 12, Reds route the Rockies 10-0 after the bullpen exploded after another great outing by Nick Lodolo in game 1.
I don't know who's going to be in the everyday lineup for '23, but Jake Fraley, TJ Friedl should be in the mix. I really like what they bring to the table. Now, I DO feel the Reds need to go get a legit thumper for one of the corner outfield spots. We need someone to build the lineup around in the middle of the lineup. There may never be more question marks going into '23 than what the Reds will have. You could write in ink, Votto 1B, Stephenson C and India and outside of that, there will be competition for every other position, I feel. The rotation looks young but good with Greene, Lodolo, Ashcraft and whatever we want to add. Bullpen is a mess and outside of Diaz, we need to get that shored up. Guys hurt who will be back include TJ Antone, Justin Wilson, Tony Santillan, Lucas Sims.
How can you not pencil Farmer in at one of the two left side infield spots? Can play multiple positions, tough competitor and has earned playing time on this team IMO. He's a .265 hitter through 2 1/2 seasons. They will not pay for a free agent at either of those positions that is better than Farmer. See Moustakas, Mike.

How can you not pencil Farmer in at one of the two left side infield spots? Can play multiple positions, tough competitor and has earned playing time on this team IMO. He's a .265 hitter through 2 1/2 seasons. They will not pay for a free agent at either of those positions that is better than Farmer. See Moustakas, Mike.
Believe me when I say this GCpro, I do like Kyle Farmer. I wish we had 8 of him to put into the field. The intangibles, the grit, the baseball IQ are al things I wish we could transfer. But he's 32 years old, the last two seasons, he's had 998 plate appearances, he has 25 home runs. And he plays half his games in a home run hitters ballpark. On a good team with a masher at the corner infield positions and corner outfield positions, you could get away with Farmer at short with the little power. But we need more at 3rd base. I just don't think he'll be a starter going into next season. Now after a month plus of Jose Barrero, I just don't see him as the answer at short. He's going to have to make some great strides during the off season and camp to have a shot at making the team. Do I see Farmer on the team next season, absolutely. I just don't think he's going to have an everyday spot unless there is injuries or other circumstances.

Believe me when I say this GCpro, I do like Kyle Farmer. I wish we had 8 of him to put into the field. The intangibles, the grit, the baseball IQ are al things I wish we could transfer. But he's 32 years old, the last two seasons, he's had 998 plate appearances, he has 25 home runs. And he plays half his games in a home run hitters ballpark. On a good team with a masher at the corner infield positions and corner outfield positions, you could get away with Farmer at short with the little power. But we need more at 3rd base. I just don't think he'll be a starter going into next season. Now after a month plus of Jose Barrero, I just don't see him as the answer at short. He's going to have to make some great strides during the off season and camp to have a shot at making the team. Do I see Farmer on the team next season, absolutely. I just don't think he's going to have an everyday spot unless there is injuries or other circumstances.
As I said they will not sign a better player than Farmer and for sure Barrero doesn't seem to be the answer. Maybe Farmer gets another year until DellaCruz is ready if he is not already. It seems most scouts feel DellaCruz would be better suited at 3b or CF because of his size. I'm sorry I don't have the optimism you posses.

As I said they will not sign a better player than Farmer and for sure Barrero doesn't seem to be the answer. Maybe Farmer gets another year until DellaCruz is ready if he is not already. It seems most scouts feel DellaCruz would be better suited at 3b or CF because of his size. I'm sorry I don't have the optimism you posses.
So with no optimism, you're going to put a 32 year old, no power 3rd baseman in your lineup? 3B, 1B, LF, RF are power positions. Outside of the bullpen, our #2 need is getting the offense on track. We need some boppers. Now I know you may come back and say we had Suarez, Winker and Castellenos in those spots and we did, but like everything else, at what cost are you going with them? The Reds felt they were overvalued for their price tag, and it appears they were correct. Suarez is having a nice season for him with the homers, but still leads the league in strikeouts, and Winker and Castellenos are 140 games into this season and have a combined 26 home runs. Steer can play short or 3rd.

Believe, me, I like Kyle Farmer. But I just don't see how we can put him in the everyday lineup - unless at short. And as we've seen this season, there are so many games and at bats to cover. It seems like you can get guys plenty of time. Could I see a senario where the infield is a revolving door of India, Solano, Steer, Farmer, possibly Matt Reynolds or you start bringing up the young guys. I think Della Cruz will be up at some point next season. I'd love to see Barrero pan out, but he just looks awful at the plate.

So with no optimism, you're going to put a 32 year old, no power 3rd baseman in your lineup? 3B, 1B, LF, RF are power positions. Outside of the bullpen, our #2 need is getting the offense on track. We need some boppers. Now I know you may come back and say we had Suarez, Winker and Castellenos in those spots and we did, but like everything else, at what cost are you going with them? The Reds felt they were overvalued for their price tag, and it appears they were correct. Suarez is having a nice season for him with the homers, but still leads the league in strikeouts, and Winker and Castellenos are 140 games into this season and have a combined 26 home runs. Steer can play short or 3rd.

Believe, me, I like Kyle Farmer. But I just don't see how we can put him in the everyday lineup - unless at short. And as we've seen this season, there are so many games and at bats to cover. It seems like you can get guys plenty of time. Could I see a senario where the infield is a revolving door of India, Solano, Steer, Farmer, possibly Matt Reynolds or you start bringing up the young guys. I think Della Cruz will be up at some point next season. I'd love to see Barrero pan out, but he just looks awful at the plate.
You answer your own questions. There are no other options beside Farmer. Solano, Steer, Reynolds and maybe even India are the same guy. I guarantee with Votto's contract still looming and Moustakas being one of the bigger busts in Reds history they are not getting players from anywhere but their organization. Who is left to trade that brings value?
I would have liked to see some other arms getting innings at the end of the season beside TJ Zeuch and the guy that threw the other night brought in from McDonalds.
They are gonna do what they do regardless of what you and I think anyway.

You answer your own questions. There are no other options beside Farmer. Solano, Steer, Reynolds and maybe even India are the same guy. I guarantee with Votto's contract still looming and Moustakas being one of the bigger busts in Reds history they are not getting players from anywhere but their organization. Who is left to trade that brings value?
I would have liked to see some other arms getting innings at the end of the season beside TJ Zeuch and the guy that threw the other night brought in from McDonalds.
They are gonna do what they do regardless of what you and I think anyway.
From McDonald's!!! Ha! With the pitching, I can only think there must be a method to their madness where they want these guys to stay in the minors. I have no idea what good it did having Hunter Greene throw a Triple A start?? Heck start him in Chicago last night. I'd rather he throw to Ian Happ than some triple A player. Farmer is arbitration eligible, the Reds may decide to move him during the off season. There are always options. We picked up Matt Reynolds, Colin Moran, Donovan Solano. There will be other veteran players available next season.

Regarding the infield discussion for 2023:

My opinion is that is is too soon to give up on Barrero. He is 24 years old and has 200 ABs total, less than half a season. Is he a terribly undisciplined hitter? Absolutely. But he needs more time. If he refuses to adapt his approach (like Aquino), then we can be done with him. We have like 16 more SS prospects in the pipeline.

I'm also in favor of De La Cruz playing 3B next year. Let's get the young guys some experience. Farmer can fill in all over the place. Love the guy, but he isn't the future, and 2023 is all about prepping for the future.

While we are talking 2023, I saw a comment above about writing in Stephenson for C in ink. I disagree vehemently. We want Stephenson's bat for 150+ games, not his catcher's skill for 50 games. Get him out from behind the plate, he needs to play 1B and DH, or maybe a corner OF spot. Joey can time share with him.

Regarding the infield discussion for 2023:

My opinion is that is is too soon to give up on Barrero. He is 24 years old and has 200 ABs total, less than half a season. Is he a terribly undisciplined hitter? Absolutely. But he needs more time. If he refuses to adapt his approach (like Aquino), then we can be done with him. We have like 16 more SS prospects in the pipeline.

I'm also in favor of De La Cruz playing 3B next year. Let's get the young guys some experience. Farmer can fill in all over the place. Love the guy, but he isn't the future, and 2023 is all about prepping for the future.

While we are talking 2023, I saw a comment above about writing in Stephenson for C in ink. I disagree vehemently. We want Stephenson's bat for 150+ games, not his catcher's skill for 50 games. Get him out from behind the plate, he needs to play 1B and DH, or maybe a corner OF spot. Joey can time share with him.
This has no merit, just my own opinion. IF they do decide to move Stephenson, it won't be until 2024. No matter what anyone says, Joey is calling his own shot, and I'm honestly fine with that. He's a first baseman. I think you'll see him relinquish a little next year and DH some, but he hates to DH. Joey's a throwback.
I know there is alot of love for Tyler Stephenson at this point. But he's played parts of two seasons, he's not really shown to me that he's a big time power guy. He has 605 career plate appearances and only 18 home runs. I don't want a first baseman that hit's under 20 home runs. We can do much better than that. Could Spencer Steer be a future first baseman?

And I'll give you that on Barrero, but so far, I've not seen much improvement from him since he was up a few years ago. He swings and misses way too much. Very poor plate recognition.

From McDonald's!!! Ha! With the pitching, I can only think there must be a method to their madness where they want these guys to stay in the minors. I have no idea what good it did having Hunter Greene throw a Triple A start?? Heck start him in Chicago last night. I'd rather he throw to Ian Happ than some triple A player. Farmer is arbitration eligible, the Reds may decide to move him during the off season. There are always options. We picked up Matt Reynolds, Colin Moran, Donovan Solano. There will be other veteran players available next season.
One of my biggest non understandings is why teams sign 33 year old journeymen to fill roster spots rather than bring up organizational players. It’s one thing when you are filling out a competitive roster. Quite another when you are “rebuilding” whatever the heck that means. It appears a few other organizations are not afraid to do just that. I said a year ago that I would have preferred Barrero been up all this year playing SS. The club is terrible lets see if the kid can survive every day. Playing 40 games in a lost season is no different than triple A.
Again I think Farmer has earned the right to play.

This has no merit, just my own opinion. IF they do decide to move Stephenson, it won't be until 2024. No matter what anyone says, Joey is calling his own shot, and I'm honestly fine with that. He's a first baseman. I think you'll see him relinquish a little next year and DH some, but he hates to DH. Joey's a throwback.
I know there is alot of love for Tyler Stephenson at this point. But he's played parts of two seasons, he's not really shown to me that he's a big time power guy. He has 605 career plate appearances and only 18 home runs. I don't want a first baseman that hit's under 20 home runs. We can do much better than that. Could Spencer Steer be a future first baseman?
Ask yourself why Stephenson only has 605 PAs in two plus seasons. It is because he keeps getting injured behind the plate!

He is a big (6'4, 225) strong kid with plate discipline (career BA .296, OBP .370) and gap power to the opposite field. Anyone who knows anything about baseball can see that the power is going to come - he just needs to stay healthy and get more consistent plate appearances. He reminds me of a young Dale Murphy at the plate. He will be a 35 HR per year guy, with a good BA.

But you are happy to keep him behind the plate, keep risking more concussions, and limiting his playing time. Your opinions frequently have no merit, but this one is off the charts stupid.

One of my biggest non understandings is why teams sign 33 year old journeymen to fill roster spots rather than bring up organizational players. It’s one thing when you are filling out a competitive roster. Quite another when you are “rebuilding” whatever the heck that means. It appears a few other organizations are not afraid to do just that. I said a year ago that I would have preferred Barrero been up all this year playing SS. The club is terrible lets see if the kid can survive every day. Playing 40 games in a lost season is no different than triple A.
Again I think Farmer has earned the right to play.
Because they are available and because they "sometimes" are cheap. I think one thing organizations are scared of doing now is bringing up guys too soon. I think our mode as fans are, we want to cut to the chase and immediately find out today if a guy is major league capable or not. It sometimes isn't that easy. I think the Reds regret pushing Billy Hamilton through the system as fast as they did. He never fully developed as a hitter- his minor league stats were not great. But he was forced up and he was good enough to stay for a few years, but never fully developed as a hitter.
Farmer has proven he belongs, not sure anyone has a right to playing time.

Ask yourself why Stephenson only has 605 PAs in two plus seasons. It is because he keeps getting injured behind the plate!

He is a big (6'4, 225) strong kid with plate discipline (career BA .296, OBP .370) and gap power to the opposite field. Anyone who knows anything about baseball can see that the power is going to come - he just needs to stay healthy and get more consistent plate appearances. He reminds me of a young Dale Murphy at the plate. He will be a 35 HR per year guy, with a good BA.

But you are happy to keep him behind the plate, keep risking more concussions, and limiting his playing time. Your opinions frequently have no merit, but this one is off the charts stupid.
I certainly hope your crystal ball is correct on him. But I feel for 2023, he's going to be the Reds catcher, no matter what any of us think. After that, who knows. All I'm providing is my opinion on what I think will happen, and also some balance. Stephenson has been good in spurts only. Claiming he's a savior is a bit of a reach. We are starving for a slugger, I see it.

And I'll give you that on Barrero, but so far, I've not seen much improvement from him since he was up a few years ago. He swings and misses way too much. Very poor plate recognition.
No player, not even Joey Votto, should be calling the shots. If the organization thinks the team is better off playing Tyler Stephenson at 1B, then Votto needs to accept being the DH. Other than his longevity, he really has no room to gripe since his production has fallen off precipitously the past few seasons aside from a spurt in the late summer of 2021.

I do agree with you that in all likelihood this rockheaded organization is penciling in Stephenson at catcher in 2023. I hope they are ready for extreme blowback from the fans and some media members (e.g. Mo Egger) as soon as Stephenson suffers another injury next season.

Stephenson would likely gain power by leaving the catcher position, by the way. The wear and tear on a catcher’s legs over the course of a season — much less the cumulative effect over a career of catching — is more than the average fan realizes.

I certainly hope your crystal ball is correct on him. But I feel for 2023, he's going to be the Reds catcher, no matter what any of us think. After that, who knows. All I'm providing is my opinion on what I think will happen, and also some balance. Stephenson has been good in spurts only. Claiming he's a savior is a bit of a reach. We are starving for a slugger, I see it.
De La Cruz and Stephenson will be the middle-of-the-lineup hitters in a couple of years. The hope is that someone like Noelvi Marte or Cam Collier could come up pretty young and join them by 2025.

India and Steer are guys I’d be comfortable slotting in surrounding the middle of the lineup. Christian Encarnacion-Strand could fit here, too.

Regardless of how this season ends, I’m slotting Jose Barrero in as the Opening Day shortstop in 2023. I’m not willing to give up on him so quickly, especially since he missed a bunch of time this year with a broken wrist that might have totally thrown him off at the plate this season.

Kyle Farmer is best suited to be a super-utility player. He’ll still get a good amount of playing time since he can realistically cover all four infield spots.

I think the Reds will run Votto, India, Barrero and Steer out there as the Opening Day infield next year. Only way I don’t see that happening is if Elly De La Cruz makes the Opening Day roster at 3B and they choose between Steer or Barrero at SS, sending the other one of those two to the outfield.

Ultimately Barrero and Senzel are the two on thinnest ice competing for playing time next year. One of them figures to head to the bench if the Reds run a lineup of this out there at some point in the season:

C Stephenson
1B Votto
2B India
SS Steer
3B De La Cruz
LF McLain
CF Senzel/Barrero
RF Fraley
DH Farmer/Moustakas/TBD