The Official 2022 Cincinnati Reds Thread

How about a giant thumbs down for Nick Krall, who needed starting pitching to eat innings, and brings in a journeyman former starter bouncing around the minors as a reliever and thus isn’t stretched out to eat innings. Chase Anderson goes on this regime’s ledger of dumb decisions and vagabond failure players.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I hope everyone got a chance to listen/ see Joey Votto press conference yesterday. I don't know that in my lifetime, there has been an athlete that is more sincere or genuine than Votto. In a day and age where we really question players motives for playing, effort level and caring, Votto is incredibly deep and thoughtful with every answer. He's never used injuries as an excuse, and he's not even sure this shoulder injury has been part of his slide. You can see the last few years has really bothered him regarding production. After last season, there was some hope that he could bounce back and have a great season. But his own admission that he's not dominated right handed pitching especially - the cornerstone of his career has been the major issue.
And he gave no guarantees. I think we'll find out come spring if the shoulder was a main problem or not. My guess is it's going to be an awful off season for him. He's a grinder, always working on his craft and not being able to do anything baseball wise for months is going to be very difficult for him.
I'm excited to see him come back next season fully healthy.

He probably realizes that he’s never going to be an MLB manager again once his Reds stint is over, so he’s probably going to hold onto the job as long as he can, regardless of how awful the roster is.

It’s pretty clear that he was extended by the club last September to endure lost, failing seasons in 2022-23 so that he can be replaced later on as soon as the team has promise. That way he can endure fan criticism (fairly or not) this year and next year and then be swept aside so ownership can say, “See, we’re making changes now and we’re trying to win!”

Hopefully he realizes he’s in the role of Bo Porter before A.J. Hinch, Rick Renteria before Joe Maddon, Rick Renteria (again!) before Tony LaRussa, and Jayce Tingler before Bob Melvin.

One more comes to mind: Calloway/Rojas before Showalter and a new ownership team.

Seems like two different people are posting with the 14Red login. :ROFLMAO:
Hey, all the way up to 13,000 last night? I can't imagine having the time to go back and scrutinize people's posts. You have to be loads of fun at parties - regurgitating people's conversations from the past. SMH....:rolleyes:

Joey Votto is going to join the TV broadcast tonight. At this point I don't know how long he will stay but should be pretty intriguing. Joey is a rare breed of today's athlete who is very articulate and thoughtful in what he shares with the media. Earlier in his career, he was moody and very shut off from the media. He's come a long way the last few years.

Hey, all the way up to 13,000 last night? I can't imagine having the time to go back and scrutinize people's posts. You have to be loads of fun at parties - regurgitating people's conversations from the past. SMH....:rolleyes:
It called reading the thread in order. Those posts were literally 3 or 4 apart and you contradicted yourself within 18 hours or so. But this is nothing new for you.

It called reading the thread in order. Those posts were literally 3 or 4 apart and you contradicted yourself within 18 hours or so. But this is nothing new for you.
And God love ya, you have so little to do that you can peruse message board posts....

And God love ya, you have so little to do that you can peruse message board posts....
Seriously? You are on here posting way more than anyone else (7,800+ posts). LOL - making fun of others who have nothing to do. I guess you really are as dense as we all thought.

Seriously? You are on here posting way more than anyone else (7,800+ posts). LOL - making fun of others who have nothing to do. I guess you really are as dense as we all thought.
Just trying to share all this valuable knowledge!

No need, you just did. You are here to hear yourself talk.
Confused In My Head GIF by Graduation

Tony LaRussa pulling a page from the Terry Francona playbook. Team struggling down the stretch, just bail and let them finish the year on their own. Hey it worked for the Guardians, Maybe Bell needs to step away the rest of the season?

Spencer Steer finally is getting called up for Friday’s game. Let’s hope Bell actually plays him every day. God knows there’s no reason to play Moran, Reynolds or Farmer over the prospects.

Tony LaRussa pulling a page from the Terry Francona playbook. Team struggling down the stretch, just bail and let them finish the year on their own. Hey it worked for the Guardians, Maybe Bell needs to step away the rest of the season?
Francona actually had legit health issues. This La Russa situation … I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a scheme concocted by Jerry Reinsdorf himself. I’m surprised La Russa is going along with it, to be honest. I guess there’s a slim chance it’s real, but there’s enough smoke to suggest it’s fabricated.

Francona actually had legit health issues. This La Russa situation … I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a scheme concocted by Jerry Reinsdorf himself. I’m surprised La Russa is going along with it, to be honest. I guess there’s a slim chance it’s real, but there’s enough smoke to suggest it’s fabricated.

Possibly, but LaRussa's nearly 80, so my guess is his is real too. My thoughts on this is if your team is contending, you stick it out and continue to manage, but if the team is out of it, you just leave the team for the remainder of the season? Look, I know these medical issues are real, but maybe you shouldn't be managing period, in contention or not. But, it's 2022 and that's the way things are done now.

Thoughts on Votto’s color commentary last night? I could see him doing it when he retires. I’m not sure when at this point.
I thought it was fantastic. Joey is such a different cat. He's very guarded with his opinions in most instances, but he did a really good job in the booth. Now, 80% of what he talks about with baseball is way too technical for the average fan. I do not see him doing that post baseball. I think he would be very bored with the day to day broadcasts. He also has enough money he wouldn't have to do that.

Now you look at guys like Jeff Brantley and Chris Welsh, they did not make big money in baseball, they kind of have to work and they are very good at their analyst roles. Barry Larkin is kind of unique in he doesn't have to work, but he only does Reds home games and is on a limited schedule, I'm sure by his doing.

Somebody seems to be reading every post and replying to every post. Must not have anything to do. Sad.

Spencer Steer finally is getting called up for Friday’s game. Let’s hope Bell actually plays him every day. God knows there’s no reason to play Moran, Reynolds or Farmer over the prospects.

I sure hope he gets daily AB's. But with Bell you can never know.

I did not watch to know the situations, but I noticed in the box score that last night Aquino was 3-3 and then Bell PH for him late. And in the 9th with 2 outs and winning run on 2nd, Senzel was 2-4 and he PH Romine (.170) for Senzel. Puzzling.

Most interesting. Had to call it a night at 11:00 so I didn't see the bad ending. ha!
You should consider that a win. Had the winning run on 3rd twice, with 1 and 0 outs and could not get it done. Cardinals employed a 5 man infield in back to back innings. Bell must get a bonus for getting all guys into games because during the game we subbed out 3 of our faster players for slower ones so Colin Moran, the 550th fastest player in baseball (yes, they even have stats like that) was on 3rd and a ball was hit in the infield, the shortstop threw that ball to Molina and spun him around at the plate and he STILL had time to tag out Moran. Anyone else on the team would had been safe. You really can't make this stuff up.

This may interest a few Reds fans... or not. Thom Brennaman is staring a podcast (Off The Bench) that will be daily from 10-noon talking about different sports topics. His kickoff trailer was about 5 minutes of him pouring his heart out on what he's been doing the last few years since many people are just too thin skinned these days and Fox had to take his job from him - after 20+ years of a sparkling career.

Anyway, I'll be listening Thom, it wasn't right what was done to you and kuddos for making a comeback.

This may interest a few Reds fans... or not. Thom Brennaman is staring a podcast (Off The Bench) that will be daily from 10-noon talking about different sports topics. His kickoff trailer was about 5 minutes of him pouring his heart out on what he's been doing the last few years since many people are just too thin skinned these days and Fox had to take his job from him - after 20+ years of a sparkling career.

Anyway, I'll be listening Thom, it wasn't right what was done to you and kuddos for making a comeback.
I hope Thom does well. The people who live in glass houses have held him down long enough.

I had grown tired of Thom's judgemental act on the Reds games, and he did make a really dumb mistake, but I hope he finds some success. He is a good play-by-play guy when he sticks to the game.

I had grown tired of Thom's judgemental act on the Reds games, and he did make a really dumb mistake, but I hope he finds some success. He is a good play-by-play guy when he sticks to the game.
Same opinion here. It seemed like he didn’t even enjoy doing Reds games his last few years there. He was somewhat insufferable.

That said, he should be free to pursue whatever work interests him. I wouldn’t mind him doing mid-tier NFL games again. I would not want to see him latch on with another baseball team … again, I think he’s kind of like Joe Buck where he got into baseball easiest due to nepotism but seemingly grew to not enjoy calling baseball games.

It's interesting to me when fans will criticize an announcer for being a "homer" and not ever coming down on the home team, yet they also get ticked because the broadcaster is critical of the home team. Ya can't have it both ways.

I like Thom as an announcer. Yes, he got into broadcasting and the last name Brennaman didn't hurt him. But if you look at his entire body of work, it's more impressive than his dads. Thom was the lead announcers in the CFP playoffs in the early 2000's, he was the second group for MLB baseball and was in the group of NFL broadcasters. Nationally and multiple sports. HOLY Moses!