The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

That puts him at hitting "near" .100 for twice as long. It's not hard to be out hitting Suarez, but lets not pretend he's anything but another offensive liability

The more concerning thing about Suarez is that he's become a headcase. Switching to a "new" (it's not new) position has devastated his ability to hit a baseball. His defense isn't much to write home about either.
There is always that difficult thing to process where "going with what got you there" isn't working anymore. Baseball is about adjustments. Geno is going to have to consider making some adjustments or it may never get better. The biggest parts of his contract is still to come, so I don't foresee any scenario where he gets replaced.

There is always that difficult thing to process where "going with what got you there" isn't working anymore. Baseball is about adjustments. Geno is going to have to consider making some adjustments or it may never get better. The biggest parts of his contract is still to come, so I don't foresee any scenario where he gets replaced.
You cant hit .130 and expect to stay in a major league lineup just because you have a contract.

Honestly, with the lack of time Garrett is used anyway, a 7 game suspension is about a 2-3 game suspension anyway. He never pitches back to back days, and even when used, it's normally an inning or less. One thing that Reds fans seem to have really hard time comprehending is how these suspensions are handed out. If they gave Garrett a 2-3 game suspension, it would be very easy for Bell to just manipulate it into his normal schedule. Just appeal it, pitch him the day before he accepts the suspension and he's likely down for a few days anyway.
Maybe MLB set it a 7 games to be an actual punishment?
BTW, I'm all for Garrett getting suspended to begin with. He incited the Cubs fight and he's a repeat offender. Garrett writes bigger checks than he can cash and he's not good enough to act the way he does anyway.
I understand how MLB hands out suspensions as they've remained pretty consistent over the years. SP usually get 6 games so it guarantees they miss a start. RP get 3-5 which is realistically a 1-3 game suspension when you look at uses. I'd think they'd still consider Amir as a closer or everyday relief which aligns with your one inning appearances. He's struggled at times this year and his time on the mound has probably reflected that recently.

I still don't agree with teams yelling at each other leading to 5-7 game suspensions when there's pitchers who throw at heads and get less. If his antics aren't welcome then it's up to the clubhouse and Reds organization to step in and make sure it stops. It shouldn't be MLB. Relief pitchers aren't on a schedule. They're either available or not based on the previous games.

I understand how MLB hands out suspensions as they've remained pretty consistent over the years. SP usually get 6 games so it guarantees they miss a start. RP get 3-5 which is realistically a 1-3 game suspension when you look at uses. I'd think they'd still consider Amir as a closer or everyday relief which aligns with your one inning appearances. He's struggled at times this year and his time on the mound has probably reflected that recently.

I still don't agree with teams yelling at each other leading to 5-7 game suspensions when there's pitchers who throw at heads and get less. If his antics aren't welcome then it's up to the clubhouse and Reds organization to step in and make sure it stops. It shouldn't be MLB. Relief pitchers aren't on a schedule. They're either available or not based on the previous games.
Agreed. Amir's antics need to stop. I just want some logic / equity in the suspension decisions. Baez leaps the rail to escalate the fight and gets nothing. Cardinal relievers head-hunt with fastballs and get nothing.

I generally put myself in the other persons shoes and see how I'd react. If I were MLB, Amir Garrett's name has popped up repeatedly in many of these scrums. I was at the Pirates game two years ago when he charged the Pirate bench. My guess is MLB has basically said to the Reds, we let you try to get a handle on this, now it's our turn.
The term "yelling at each other" is a little vague. Barking, taunting, all of those things lead to the benches clearing, and MLB wants to get rid of that. I don't disagree.
These things are much easier to handle in football and basketball with penalties and technicals. Can't do anything remotely to that in baseball, other than kicking guys out of games, and you can't kick 10 guys off a team in a baseball game.

Agreed. Amir's antics need to stop. I just want some logic / equity in the suspension decisions. Baez leaps the rail to escalate the fight and gets nothing. Cardinal relievers head-hunt with fastballs and get nothing.
I do not know the history of Baez. MLB probably saw that it was Garrett's taunting of Rizzo that caused Baez to "leap over the rail" which seems to be a rallying cry for Reds fans - who cares if he walked out through and opening or leaped over the rail??
I think it's really hard to determine when guys are head hunting today. Many of these guys hold the ball a certain way to make it cut in or out and to prove that someone is throwing at someone is difficult. Pitching inside is required strategy in today's baseball.

You cant hit .130 and expect to stay in a major league lineup just because you have a contract.
I would really be surprised if Suarez continues to hit .130. He's gone 5 of his last 14 and is now at .156. Don't be shocked if Bell doesn't start moving him up in the lineup again. We need some balance with all the lefties we have. Hopefully the Colorado air does him some good.

I do not know the history of Baez. MLB probably saw that it was Garrett's taunting of Rizzo that caused Baez to "leap over the rail" which seems to be a rallying cry for Reds fans - who cares if he walked out through and opening or leaped over the rail??
I think it's really hard to determine when guys are head hunting today. Many of these guys hold the ball a certain way to make it cut in or out and to prove that someone is throwing at someone is difficult. Pitching inside is required strategy in today's baseball.

Baez caused himself to leap over the rail.

I would really be surprised if Suarez continues to hit .130. He's gone 5 of his last 14 and is now at .156. Don't be shocked if Bell doesn't start moving him up in the lineup again. We need some balance with all the lefties we have. Hopefully the Colorado air does him some good.

He hit .200 through 60 games last season and .150 through the first 30 this season. Why would it surprise you?

Because from '17-'19 he hit .260/ .283 / .271, 109 home runs and 189 RBI. He's proven to be a major league hitter.
He hit .200 through 60 games last season and .150 through the first 30 this season. Why would it surprise you?

20% of the season in the books.... The Reds are a .500 team. They've had terrible performances from Suarez, Castillo, Gray and Garrett (and Lorenzo is still out). if these guys get their chit together they can be dangerous. Time to start tonight in Colorado with Castillo on the mound.

20% of the season in the books.... The Reds are a .500 team. They've had terrible performances from Suarez, Castillo, Gray and Garrett (and Lorenzo is still out). if these guys get their chit together they can be dangerous. Time to start tonight in Colorado with Castillo on the mound.
You beat me to the post, but 100% agree. Also we have gotten nothing from Shogo, and Votto has been hurt. This team has had a lot go wrong, so to be sitting where they are is promising.

If Amir's suspension was because of language (racial, sexist, etc) then I agree there should be longer suspension. Part of baseball is the mental game. Amir has clearly gotten into a few guys heads but he didn't cause the Cubs to empty the dugout. They made that choice themselves.

If Amir's suspension was because of language (racial, sexist, etc) then I agree there should be longer suspension. Part of baseball is the mental game. Amir has clearly gotten into a few guys heads but he didn't cause the Cubs to empty the dugout. They made that choice themselves.
Garret is a punk, take your rose colored glasses off ?

?

Because from '17-'19 he hit .260/ .283 / .271, 109 home runs and 189 RBI. He's proven to be a major league hitter.
Right, he shows clear regression. It coincides with his position change which, to my point, shows he's a headcase and a lot of players don't recover from that. Even with slumping players you can look at advanced metrics and at least make an argument that things may not be as they seem (eg good contact and making hard outs). Suarez's advanced metrics tell a pretty dismal story.

Right, he shows clear regression. It coincides with his position change which, to my point, shows he's a headcase and a lot of players don't recover from that. Even with slumping players you can look at advanced metrics and at least make an argument that things may not be as they seem (eg good contact and making hard outs). Suarez's advanced metrics tell a pretty dismal story.
Well I certainly hope he gets at least most of the way back to the norm because we've got alot invested in him the next 3 seasons.

Well I certainly hope he gets at least most of the way back to the norm because we've got alot invested in him the next 3 seasons.
As do I, but at some point the Reds have to intervene with his trajectory. He's a liability in the lineup every day both defensively and offensively until he figures it out.

A short stint of relative success (it's not objectively that successful) is not a reason to rush him back up in the lineup. There's plenty of guys that are better suited for the 1-5 spots right now.

As do I, but at some point the Reds have to intervene with his trajectory. He's a liability in the lineup every day both defensively and offensively until he figures it out.

A short stint of relative success (it's not objectively that successful) is not a reason to rush him back up in the lineup. There's plenty of guys that are better suited for the 1-5 spots right now.
Certainly not, but if he reverts back to his career norms the next 4 months, April was just an anomaly.

Certainly not, but if he reverts back to his career norms the next 4 months, April was just an anomaly.
His streak of poor hitting also lasted all of last season, that's what I meant when I said this is not just a slump.

Reds score 8 runs in an inning off good ol' Robert Stephenson to draw within 2 runs, and Bell brings in the worst pitcher on the team who immediately gives up 3 more runs. God damnit

Reds score 8 runs in an inning off good ol' Robert Stephenson to draw within 2 runs, and Bell brings in the worst pitcher on the team who immediately gives up 3 more runs. God damnit
Castillo is neck and neck with Perez for 'worst pitcher', but yes I agree with you. Killed the momentum. Perez is awful and has to get sent down.

Just can't understand what is going on with Castillo though.

Castillo is neck and neck with Perez for 'worst pitcher', but yes I agree with you. Killed the momentum. Perez is awful and has to get sent down.

Just can't understand what is going on with Castillo though.
It's mechanical. He's leaving pitches over the plate. That tells me it's his release point. He needs to get sent down to figure it out.

David Bell has a strange love relationship with the worst players on his team. Some of which have no business at the major league level and actively cost his team wins.