The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Overall still not too bullish on the Reds, best case seems like a couple of games over 0.500 and the Central title.

However, so far there does seem to be enough to keep my interest. The first two games were both pretty intriguing given that neither were close.

Let's hope that India's progress is a storyline worth following all year.

All in all I think it is probably more fun to follow a team where the pitching lets you down (most likely scenario this year) vs. one that can't score runs (2020 Reds).

Last edited:
Yes. Also glad to see Hoffman prove me wrong, at least for his first start. He looked like a pitcher with a plan, and he executed pretty well after giving up some hard outs in the first. Maybe DJ has worked his magic on him.

Senzel in significant danger of losing his starting spot if the offensive production doesn't start. It's a crowded outfield.

Subtract the first inning Thursday and this could have been a sweep. Nice comeback win on Saturday, Mahle looked good. We said from the jump that the offense may have to carry this team and that will make the pitching much easier. Hoffman backed up Mahle's start with a good one yesterday as well. Castellenos is seeing the ball well right now, just need to ride that. No issue at all with what Castellenos did Saturday. He was sliding into home, made it relativley easy and the Cardinal pitcher jumped on his back. Nothing would have happened if it wasn't for our good friend Yadi Molina didn't jump in. He seems to always be in the middle of these things.
Anyway, nothing happened on Sunday and, like most baseball skirmishes these day, much todo about nothing. Just some pushing and yelling. These guys make too much money and get moved from team to team every year to get into any real fights.
Pirates in for 3 at home, both teams on the back ends of their rotations, so we could see some offense. A little curious as to why the Reds, with the off day last Friday wouldn't have had Castillo come back tomorrow instead of Wednesday. My understanding was that the Reds would NOT need a 5 man rotation for most of April with the off days?

Senzel in significant danger of losing his starting spot if the offensive production doesn't start. It's a crowded outfield.
He is 0-5 with a walk and run scored in two games. Certainly that is a big enough body of work and we should rush to judgement. LOL. And yes, Naquin is off to a good start and the Reds should ride that a little, but he is likely going to revert to his career norms.

Certainly great to have the depth in the OF. We all know Winker and Senzel seem to get dinged up. Here is what I think will happen in the OF. There are 486 starts in the OF (162 times 3):

- Hopefully Castellanos starts 150 games or more.
- Senzel and Winker probably get 100-110 starts if healthy. (I personally think Winker should play more, but this is what I think will happen)
- Shogo gets about 80 starts
- Aquino and Naquin split the remaining 40-45 starts, based on matchups, as fill-in starters on rest days. They will also get the DH starts in AL parks, and be top pinch hitters.

He is 0-5 with a walk and run scored in two games. Certainly that is a big enough body of work and we should rush to judgement. LOL. And yes, Naquin is off to a good start and the Reds should ride that a little, but he is likely going to revert to his career norms.

Certainly great to have the depth in the OF. We all know Winker and Senzel seem to get dinged up. Here is what I think will happen in the OF. There are 486 starts in the OF (162 times 3):

- Hopefully Castellanos starts 150 games or more.
- Senzel and Winker probably get 100-110 starts if healthy. (I personally thinhould play more, but this is what I think will happen)
- Shogo gets about 80 starts
- Aquino and Naquin split the remaining 40-45 starts, based on matchups, as fill-in starters on rest days. They will also get the DH starts in AL parks, and be top pinch hitters.

Boy, that horse just doesn't get much higher does it?

Nobody said sit him down tomorrow, it was an observation that it's a crowded outfield. Senzel was abysmal offensively last season and isn't going to be starting with another .186 average with all of the depth. Wasn't really too big of a leap to point that out.

Gotta say, first starts for Hoffman and DeLeon far exceeded my expectations. Both gave up some first inning hard-hit balls, but both pitched pretty well. Hopefully Amir got the "I'm the closer" jitters shook out yesterday.

Next step, hopefully Votto and Suarezstart hitting. The rest of the club producing pretty well. And Castellanos is like a cheat code right now.

Boy, that horse just doesn't get much higher does it?

Nobody said sit him down tomorrow, it was an observation that it's a crowded outfield. Senzel was abysmal offensively last season and isn't going to be starting with another .186 average with all of the depth. Wasn't really too big of a leap to point that out.
Fair enough, but saying "significant danger of losing his starting spot if the offensive production doesn't start" sounded dramatic.

Senzel still batting .000 but 2 walks and 2 runs scored I will take every game. OBP and runs scored are the offensive production we need from him. And his speed/hustle was directly the cause of our first run last night.

Fair enough, but saying "significant danger of losing his starting spot if the offensive production doesn't start" sounded dramatic.

Senzel still batting .000 but 2 walks and 2 runs scored I will take every game. OBP and runs scored are the offensive production we need from him. And his speed/hustle was directly the cause of our first run last night.
Number one job of the leadoff spot is to get on base. Senzel is doing that at a .300 clip. While not great, considering he hasn't gotten a hit yet, we'll take it. He's turned 3 walks into 3 runs in the first 4 games... That'll do.

This te
Gotta say, first starts for Hoffman and DeLeon far exceeded my expectations. Both gave up some first inning hard-hit balls, but both pitched pretty well. Hopefully Amir got the "I'm the closer" jitters shook out yesterday.

Next step, hopefully Votto and Suarezstart hitting. The rest of the club producing pretty well. And Castellanos is like a cheat code right now.
[/QUOT

This team is capable of taking turns carrying the team. Suarez and Votto hasn't started hitting yet, Costellenos and India are carrying things right now.
The Pirates are team we have to beat. Tonight would be big having Castillo going tomorow.

If I told you that Naquin, India, Senzel and Barnhart would combine to go 12-16, with 14 RBI and 11 Runs scored in a single game, you would call me insane.

If I told you that the 3 starts for Hoffman, DeLeon and Miley would result in 16 IP, 3 Runs allowed, 21 K and 3 wins, would you believe me?

Hot streaks always end, but pretty fun so far.

When Castillo has command and is not walking batters, he's one of the best in the game. An efficient 62 pitches so far scattering 3 hits and a walk through 5 innings. Cruising along....

Could Jessie Winker be the modern day Wally Pipp? Don't know who he is, google it and you'll find out.

No problem at all. But if you want to put the best/ hottest players on the field...just sayin...
Naquin is hot but he’s an average/ low ceiling player who will cool off shortly. But you were already dumb enough to reference a Wally Pipp situation, so I guess you think Naquin is Lou Gehrig. Lolol. ??‍♂️

Naquin is hot but he’s an average/ low ceiling player who will cool off shortly. ??‍♂️
You're such an optimist EP :rolleyes:

I have no idea what Naquin can to long term, but you don't either. Recent Reds who've won spots with production...

Adam Duvall - in 2016, the Reds traded Mike Leake to the Giants for the projected 4th/ 5th outfielder and he responded with 33 home runs, 101 RBI and a spot in the all star game. Followed that up with a good 2017 season, although his numbers really tailed off after the all star break, I think he injured himself in the home run derby.

Scooter Gennett - Scooter came into the 2017 season as a spring training invitee and potential utility man, he hit so well the first month of the season the Reds made him their permanent 2nd baseman, over Jose Peraza. Gennett easily had the two best season's of his career in '17 and '18.

I have been tied up with work and completely forgot about the game today. Son just texted me "Reds 11-0". What a great streak they are on.

Looks like Luis is back to being Luis, which means excellent when it isn't snowing. Senzel and India continue tearing it up also. Love it.