The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

If they get too woke and push agendas like the NBA did continuously and MLB did at first then I probably will. The question is, why do you care ??
because your a racist. you lie all the time, and when the bengals start you will have all the answers for them like you do the reds who you don't watch because of kneelers and mexicans. just saying the bengals have a lot more kneelers and are now playing a black anthem. i will say, they don't have any mexicans tho.

jtk
()

because your a racist. you lie all the time, and when the bengals start you will have all the answers for them like you do the reds who you don't watch because of kneelers and mexicans. just saying the bengals have a lot more kneelers and are now playing a black anthem. i will say, they don't have any mexicans tho.

jtk
()
I do have all the answers

Lots of baseball left to play but I don’t see this team catching the Brewers. Wouldn’t be surprised if they fall behind the Cubs and Cards as well.

Lots of baseball left to play but I don’t see this team catching the Brewers. Wouldn’t be surprised if they fall behind the Cubs and Cards as well.
the schedule favors the redlegs, but not if they keep rolling with this bull pen.

jtk
()

The Reds would be a better team without Suarez and Garrett, that’s not debatable. This team has no answer ar SS and a leaky bullpen. Not a good combo for a contender. Trading for Story and getting a couple of relievers would help this team immensely. If Lorenzen is solid and the Reds can hang on until Antone and Sims come back the bullpen may be serviceable. If the Reds got Story you could hide Suarez down at 7-8. As is, this team will not go far if it does make the playoffs
A very simple answer to a complex problem. Suarez, even with his issues, is still an overall semi-productive 3rd baseman. He's also under contract. Garrett is possibly shoppable, but why sell low? Here's a guy who was supposed to be at the back end of your bullpen, and now he's in the front end. To me a change of scenery would probably do him well. I'm willing to continue on with Suarez.
Trading for Story is likely expensive. We'll have to get in line to get relief pitchers so you're going to overpay big time for anyone.

Really fascinating point you make at the end and something I want Reds fans to hold on to. I realize "making the playoffs" is a goal for many. But like last year and back in the early 2010's, is making the playoffs the ultimate? Or winning titles? We don't have the minor league system to trade away top prospect to "go for it now". And even so, does that make any sense? In possibly less than a year, you're rotation could be. Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Miley, Greene and Lodolo, pick 5. You're lineup could have India, Stephenson, Senzel, Barerro, Winker and whoever is still around. This team is building a young foundation and that's better for overall long term success. No guarantees, but going and getting Trevor Story for a run this year, and getting knocked out in the first round doesn't seem like a good plan to me.

I really think the Brewers are going to come back to the pack at some point. They are simply not that good. Their offense is very spotty and other than Burnes, their starters are a bunch of 5 inning guys. The bullpen is off the charts but they've lost two key guys the last 3 days in Williams and Boxberger. Williams with the dreaded right elbow discomfort. Boxberger with shoulder soreness. As we know with pitchers, there is no short stint out. Normally it's shut down for a week to 10 days, then begin throwing program and a rehab assignment. Many times a month is minimum.

Such a frustrating, wildly inconsistent team. Flushed the good work and progress the last 4-5 weeks right down the tubes with that sweep. Is it possible to make up 7 games in the next 9 weeks? Sure. But not without some bullpen help, and consistency on offense from everyone. Even our best need to be more consistent.

Winker:
- .370 in April with 6 HR
- .330 in May with 7 HR
- .283 in June with 6 HR
- .127 in July with 0 HR

Castellanos:
- .305 in April with 7 HR
- .409 in May with 5 HR
- .327 in June with 4 HR
- .220 in July with 2 HR

A concerning trend. But if anyone is wondering why the Reds offense is sputtering in July, here is a big part of the answer. No Yappi posters are screaming about Winker because the BA for the year is still .290. Gotta look closer.

But even with that, the bullpen is the gaping wound that needs fixed up.

Such a frustrating, wildly inconsistent team. Flushed the good work and progress the last 4-5 weeks right down the tubes with that sweep. Is it possible to make up 7 games in the next 9 weeks? Sure. But not without some bullpen help, and consistency on offense from everyone. Even our best need to be more consistent.

Winker:
- .370 in April with 6 HR
- .330 in May with 7 HR
- .283 in June with 6 HR
- .127 in July with 0 HR

Castellanos:
- .305 in April with 7 HR
- .409 in May with 5 HR
- .327 in June with 4 HR
- .220 in July with 2 HR

A concerning trend. But if anyone is wondering why the Reds offense is sputtering in July, here is a big part of the answer. No Yappi posters are screaming about Winker because the BA for the year is still .290. Gotta look closer.

But even with that, the bullpen is the gaping wound that needs fixed up.
At some point Winker and Castellenos were going to cool off, they both played like MVP's most of the first half of the season and we were still underwater. That said, this team has no way of creating any offense other than hitting home runs and doubles. It's today's version of baseball and I guess I'll have to just get used to it. But take yesterday for instance. John Sadak mentioned that Corbin Burns has given up the most stolen bases this season. He's got a slow leg kick and throws a variety of off speed pitches. Now I"m not saying we need to straight steal, because we have one of the slowest teams in baseball. But how about starting the runner? How about a hit and run, based on the count? We are not striking out as much as in years past, and there are certain guys who do put the bat on the ball.
I thought in Friday's game, the Brewers looked like the team that was 4 games behind, they were pushing the narrative. They started runners, they were aggressive. We just sit back and wait for the long ball.
Yesterday not withstanding, the starting pitching was pretty good. Now the next step is for Mahle and Castillo to not walk so many guys and run the pitch counts up. Castillo should have gone 7, but he walked some guys in the 5th and 6th and ran his pitch count up where Bell had to get him. The best way to fix out bullpen is to limit their innings.

At some point Winker and Castellenos were going to cool off, they both played like MVP's most of the first half of the season and we were still underwater. That said, this team has no way of creating any offense other than hitting home runs and doubles. It's today's version of baseball and I guess I'll have to just get used to it. But take yesterday for instance. John Sadak mentioned that Corbin Burns has given up the most stolen bases this season. He's got a slow leg kick and throws a variety of off speed pitches. Now I"m not saying we need to straight steal, because we have one of the slowest teams in baseball. But how about starting the runner? How about a hit and run, based on the count? We are not striking out as much as in years past, and there are certain guys who do put the bat on the ball.
I thought in Friday's game, the Brewers looked like the team that was 4 games behind, they were pushing the narrative. They started runners, they were aggressive. We just sit back and wait for the long ball.
Yesterday not withstanding, the starting pitching was pretty good. Now the next step is for Mahle and Castillo to not walk so many guys and run the pitch counts up. Castillo should have gone 7, but he walked some guys in the 5th and 6th and ran his pitch count up where Bell had to get him. The best way to fix out bullpen is to limit their innings.

Well, kind of. Burnes throws a 97 MPH cutter / sinker, not sure I'd call that off-speed. And he struck out 12 Reds in 8 innings. ;)

Reds really need to look to the near future and sell off anything they can. Afraid they won’t and will continue to tread water ala the Bengals. I would get rid of or trade Senzel, Castellanos, Gray, burrito boy, Napkin and hope Blotto retires. This team has some intriguing young players that in 2-3 years could really amount to something and they have a glut of starting pitching which is rare.
2B, SS, C, RF and possible 3B, if they UCLA kid pans out, look to be set. I would imagine Stevenson will play a lot of 1B as Blotto continues to deteriorate, he too good a hitter to platoon with Tucker.
In 2024 I would love to see:
Mahle, Vlad, Nick, Hunter and Castillo as the starting five

Stevenson
India
Barrero
UCLA kid
Winker
Hendricks
That’s a solid core of six hopefully

Last edited:
15-11. 7 homers given up… Once again baseball doesn’t exist in the Nati post All Star break…how sad. We now have the Bungles to look forward to

Those are great points, I mean, back in 2019, we probably thought Geno was going to hit 50 bombs a year and the contract looked like a steal for the Reds. Things do change in this game drastically. Look at a guy like Christian Yelich, signed a 9 year, $215 million dollar deal in 2019...he's not been very good the past 12 months and they owe him a pile of money. He's signed through 2029!!!
0 for 6, left 9 runners on base tonight. He’s f’n done. Either bench or DFA him.

Any surprise the Bullpen & Suarez lost the game again? It wouldn’t be so aggravating if it wasn’t those 2 factions almost exclusively responsible for their losses.

Any surprise the Bullpen & Suarez lost the game again? It wouldn’t be so aggravating if it wasn’t those 2 factions almost exclusively responsible for their losses.
Reds front office should be embarrassed running out the rag arms they have in the bullpen. What happened to Santillan? Isn’t he a long reliever now?

Suarez needs to be benched, let the Lopez kid play

Reds front office should be embarrassed running out the rag arms they have in the bullpen. What happened to Santillan? Isn’t he a long reliever now?
But again, where are the quality relievers on the trade block? They need to make a move but the market is thin

But again, where are the quality relievers on the trade block? They need to make a move but the market is thin
They should have addressed this before the season. They let Disco, Bradley and Iglesias go. Not that Iglesias was all that great but he’s light years better than the trash they have now.