The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

The Reds aren’t the joke of an organization that the Bengals are. It might take 30 yrs, but I’ll bet $ on them winning a WS before the Bengals win a SB.

Thirty-one and waiting on both. Though the Bengals have never won any Super Bowls and a hole generation hasn't seen them do anything in the playoffs. Our only hope is that somehow Mike Brown messes up his will. I've seen some off his contracts so I have a glimmer of hope. Plus the NFL has a salary cap so teams should essentially rebuild with top draft picks over a few years and spend the same amount as other teams on their other players. Obviously this isn't the case.

The Reds have to try and compete with teams that have unlimited money. This often leads to big gambles and hoping you get a short window before rebooting. How far do the Reds have to go in the playoffs before Bauer gave them an actual shot at returning? Fact is, Cincinnati isn't a place guys want to go in FA. So the only way to get tars from other teams is via trade. Around and around we go.

Thirty-one and waiting on both. Though the Bengals have never won any Super Bowls and a hole generation hasn't seen them do anything in the playoffs. Our only hope is that somehow Mike Brown messes up his will. I've seen some off his contracts so I have a glimmer of hope. Plus the NFL has a salary cap so teams should essentially rebuild with top draft picks over a few years and spend the same amount as other teams on their other players. Obviously this isn't the case.

The Reds have to try and compete with teams that have unlimited money. This often leads to big gambles and hoping you get a short window before rebooting. How far do the Reds have to go in the playoffs before Bauer gave them an actual shot at returning? Fact is, Cincinnati isn't a place guys want to go in FA. So the only way to get tars from other teams is via trade. Around and around we go.

The NFL is design for parity, and to not win a single playoff game in over 30 yrs is not only pathetic, it’s statistically improbable.

LOL. Zeeyore just "drove by" twice yesterday and once today already. Pretty sad existence to spend so much time on something you claim to not care about.
Not sad at all, it’s fun reading the eternal hopefuls stuff and the reading how pizzed y’all get when they inevitably suck

I think this is pretty accurate, the offense will need to carry the Reds. If 3 of the 4 studs (Suarez, Moose, Castellanos, Votto) have strong years, and 3 of the 4 young guys you mention have strong years, then this could be a top 5 offense in the NL, and the Reds could contend for the playoffs.

I also acknowledge that is a lot of "IFs"... Thus, my 81-81 prediction.
?

As for season predictions, so much depends on Sonny's back. With him and Castillo, the rotation is respectable, with two very good pitchers at the top. Without him, it looks pretty weak.

The 7-17 spring record is not inspiring either. I know the offense will be better than 2020, but it needs to be a lot better. I smell 81-81, or thereabouts. :(
I'm not too concerned with the spring record, although I do like to instill the winning culture. It seemed like at least from a distance the real big innings from the other teams were more against our guys who will not be on the big league roster. On March 29, 2021, considering we're starting the season with one possibly two starting pitchers out of the rotation, if we were 81-81, I'd just about take it. Like you, I think the offense is going to have to carry this team at times.

It’s just funny that anyone is still into the Reds. Their a list place team and will be for years, it’s like thinking the Bengals will win with Burrow
Been a lifelong Reds fan, I can't imagine spending my summers any other way. So do you only root for winning teams?

Not sad at all, it’s fun reading the eternal hopefuls stuff and the reading how pizzed y’all get when they inevitably suck
No it's very sad. Another daily drive-by. LOL. If this were an elementary school I'm sure the frequency of your drive-bys would violate your parole.

The rest of us are just sports fans that care about their teams. We follow the games and the players as a hobby, for enjoyment. Pretty common in this country. give it a try.

No it's very sad. Another daily drive-by. LOL. If this were an elementary school I'm sure the frequency of your drive-bys would violate your parole.

The rest of us are just sports fans that care about their teams. We follow the games and the players as a hobby, for enjoyment. Pretty common in this country. give it a try.
So you have a stake in the Reds?

The rest of us are just sports fans that care about their teams. We follow the games and the players as a hobby, for enjoyment.
So you have a stake in the Reds?
So now English is a struggle for you? I care about the teams I follow. I'm guessing the other normal people on this thread are the same.

You are the only person on the thread that allegedly does not care about the Reds. And yet you seem to live here. ?‍♂️

Looks like the matchups for the opening series are:
- Flaherty vs. Castillo
- Wainwright vs. Mahle
- C. Martinez vs. TBD

Kind of unsettling that we are breaking camp unsure of who our #3 is...

- Flaherty vs. Castillo
- Wainwright vs. Mahle
- C. Martinez vs. TBD

Kind of unsettling that you care, get outside, take off your mask and live life

- Flaherty vs. Castillo
- Wainwright vs. Mahle
- C. Martinez vs. TBD

I'm guessing they are not sure on Miley yet, so they put up a TBD.

So Tejay Antone is available out of the bullpen and ready for opening day. This is one of the things that drives me nuts with pro sports. The level of importance you have and the amount of money you make is proportional to your ability to make and stay in the big leagues. Antone is a career minor leaguer, making the minimum salary and is fighting for his life to stay in the big leagues. Barring his arm being amputated, he's going to pitch and be available and try to make a career out of this, he may never get another chance.
Sonny Gray, on the other hand, is making $10 mill this year and next, and $12 mill in 2022, he had a minor back strain a couple of weeks ago and was shut down. We have no idea when he'll pitch for the Reds.
Do you think if Sonny Gray was in Antone's shoes, he'd be ready to go Thursday? You bet cha!

So Tejay Antone is available out of the bullpen and ready for opening day. This is one of the things that drives me nuts with pro sports. The level of importance you have and the amount of money you make is proportional to your ability to make and stay in the big leagues. Antone is a career minor leaguer, making the minimum salary and is fighting for his life to stay in the big leagues. Barring his arm being amputated, he's going to pitch and be available and try to make a career out of this, he may never get another chance.
Sonny Gray, on the other hand, is making $10 mill this year and next, and $12 mill in 2022, he had a minor back strain a couple of weeks ago and was shut down. We have no idea when he'll pitch for the Reds.
Do you think if Sonny Gray was in Antone's shoes, he'd be ready to go Thursday? You bet cha!

Just me, I'm not to worried if Tejay Antone aggravates an injury is out the year. And the Reds can work around the injury. Sonny Gray get's himself severely injured in the first week...The Reds have $22 million sitting on the DL with no trade value. If other players and agents believe the organization caused him to get hurt....no free agents are signing with the team.

I know you're stuck in the good ole days but it's 162 game season they have time to let him get back to full go.

Career minor leaguer? He debuted last season at 26. That's not exactly rare.

Gray and Antone's injuries are not the same and can not be treated the same. Baseballis the one major sport where playing hurt is a really bad idea. Even at 90% healthy most guys will fail miserably. I don't want any pitcher taking the mound with an injury. It will not end well.

I did not realize that Sonny and his doctors were telling you that his back injury was minor. Speaking from experience, you do not mess around with back issues, especially for a pitcher. Calm down. As the other guys said above, we do not need him out for the year.

And of course, the weather is going to be really cold for opening day. Another reason to be careful with a back issue.

Kind of unsettling that you care, get outside, take off your mask and live life
It bothers you that someone likes sports teams? You need professional help.

PS. - you have been to this thread that you do not care about every day this week. Loser.

I did not realize that Sonny and his doctors were telling you that his back injury was minor. Speaking from experience, you do not mess around with back issues, especially for a pitcher. Calm down. As the other guys said above, we do not need him out for the year.

And of course, the weather is going to be really cold for opening day. Another reason to be careful with a back issue.
yea, me and Sonny's doc are buddies! ha! I completely understand what you are saying. All I'm saying is if the roles were reversed and Sonny was pitching for his next contract, would it matter? And if it does, then why?

Just me, I'm not to worried if Tejay Antone aggravates an injury is out the year. And the Reds can work around the injury. Sonny Gray get's himself severely injured in the first week...The Reds have $22 million sitting on the DL with no trade value. If other players and agents believe the organization caused him to get hurt....no free agents are signing with the team.

I know you're stuck in the good ole days but it's 162 game season they have time to let him get back to full go.
Oh that's right, it's early, we'll hear that all the way until the all star break! :rolleyes: You know what, last I checked, the game in April counts as one win, or one loss, just like in August or September. It drive me crazy when people say it's early and to be cautions. I love baseball, I love the 162 game season, but it makes people so complacent.

Update for today....Sonny Gray is throwing in the workout today, "may" be back mid April.

Michael Lorenzen had a "small" setback today. No timetable on his return. Not good.

First five game starters: Castillo, Mahle, Hoffman, DeLeon, Miley.

Oh that's right, it's early, we'll hear that all the way until the all star break! :rolleyes: You know what, last I checked, the game in April counts as one win, or one loss, just like in August or September. It drive me crazy when people say it's early and to be cautions. I love baseball, I love the 162 game season, but it makes people so complacent.

Never made a single statement about it being early. Not once mentioned anything other than saying I didn't want Sonny Gray hurt on April 1if it can be avoided. And if he has something that's keeping him from pitching at full strength, then there's no reason to just throw him out there. Plus it's cold out which isn't exactly good conditions for a back injury. Many serious arm injuries start as back injuries. Guys try to pitch through them and overcompensate in other areas of their delivery. Believe it or not there are people who know baseball and injuries a little more than 14Red

Not gonna lie, I have almost no enthusiasm for baseball this season. My Reds prediction is 73-89.

Hopefully they do well out of the gate to get me interested, but after looking at the rotation that doesn't seem likely.

Update for today....Sonny Gray is throwing in the workout today, "may" be back mid April.

Michael Lorenzen had a "small" setback today. No timetable on his return. Not good.

First five game starters: Castillo, Mahle, Hoffman, DeLeon, Miley.
How Hoffman is 3 blows my mind. His last outing was abysmal. Hopefully he makes me eat my words. Need Mikey Biceps and Sonny back soon, and Antone needs to work back into the rotation also.

Not gonna lie, I have almost no enthusiasm for baseball this season. My Reds prediction is 73-89.

Hopefully they do well out of the gate to get me interested, but after looking at the rotation that doesn't seem likely.
Come on Sig, every baseball fan is optimistic on Opening Day. This team is going to mash on offense. (maybe).

How Hoffman is 3 blows my mind. His last outing was abysmal. Hopefully he makes me eat my words. Need Mikey Biceps and Sonny back soon, and Antone needs to work back into the rotation also.
I think Hoffman is in that spot, just because, not because he's considered our 3rd best pitcher. The Reds, I think are looking at pitching different, like alot of teams. I think they are more concerned with the relief pitchers in the 5-6-7th innings. Starting pitching is less important as time goes by. Many teams just want to survive the first 3-4 4 innings, then go to the bullpen.

Going to be a long summer for you then buddy. I tend to look at this as entertainment. Each day is a new day, a new game. Like most seasons, the Reds need to focus on winning series, win 2 of 3, split series. Don't have 5-6-7 game losing streaks. Those are killers. Monthly, you need to win 15+ games each month. Baseball is very forgiving, teams that win just over 50% of their games many times make the playoffs. A reasonable goal for this team is to win the NL Central, 2nd place at minimum if you're around .500. A season finishing 4th/ 5th place and being 15 games out would be considered a major failure, IMO. I'll follow every day.

Following the Reds can't be any worse than following politics right now. And as of typing this message...the Reds are technically in the Playoff Hunt