Struthers Football 2021

Struthers played Canfield OOC in, I want to say the 80's, when they weren't very good. (Prior to the MVC)

There were plenty of stories as to why Canfield and Howland were left out. Enrollment was probably a big consideration.
IMHO, I'm pretty sure the smaller schools wanted nothing to do with either and may have threatened to create their own league.

Struthers played Canfield OOC in, I want to say the 80's, when they weren't very good. (Prior to the MVC)

There were plenty of stories as to why Canfield and Howland were left out. Enrollment was probably a big consideration.
IMHO, I'm pretty sure the smaller schools wanted nothing to do with either and may have threatened to create their own league.

Struthers joined the MVC in 1979. They started league play in 1980.
Maybe it was in the 70’s. I’m sure Spread can look it up in the red book. when was the first meeting between Struthers and Canfield? And how often did they play before 1980?

While you’re at it, Spread. Look up when was the last time that Struthers beat Poland at home. I want to say it was 1989 or 1990.
Also, look up when was the last time that Struthers beat Poland in consecutive years. Probably was around that 1989, 1990, 1991, Time frame.

Please and thank you!

Last edited:
Maybe it was in the 70’s. I’m sure Spread can look it up in the red book. when was the first meeting between Struthers and Canfield? And how often did they play before 1980?

While you’re at it, Spread. Look up when was the last time that Struthers beat Poland at home. I want to say it was 1989 or 1990.
Also, look up when was the last time that Struthers beat Poland in consecutive years. Probably was around that 1989, 1990, 1991, Time frame.

Please and thank you!
Okay I can do this

Please and thank you!
Struthers played Canfield in 1977-1979. Cats went 2-1 in that stretch. They played in 1980- 1989 cats went 8-2 in that stretch. First meeting was in… 1929. (A 25-0 struthers win) Did not play again til the 77 match up.

As for Poland
1991 last home victory for the cats against Poland (wow)
Last back to back wins 1990-1991

also here’s the article for the first win against Canfield

Attachments

• 328FE3E2-9C8D-448D-A541-590DF2BF73FF.jpeg
    328FE3E2-9C8D-448D-A541-590DF2BF73FF.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 24
The cats have an all time winning record against Hubbard (54-34, Jefferson, 8-1 Lakeview 10-7 , Girard (42-30-4) in the ne8. Have a losing record against niles 23-27-1, Poland 13-25-1 and south range 0-2

Is there a Struthers/STA thread?

I can understand if there isn't though, no one's actually posting about it even on this thread.

Correct Add on top of that that their athletic department has released nothing regarding tickets or anything else. Their stadium holds 1400 people. Unreal.
I agree totally, Struthers should never be playing at their stadium. If she wants to schedule them on a yearly basis every game should be played at Struthers.

Correct Add on top of that that their athletic department has released nothing regarding tickets or anything else. Their stadium holds 1400 people. Unreal.
Just looked up their stadium on ohiostadiums.com and they have total seating capacity at 1667

It's slightly bigger than Norwayne at 1422

I think what it boiled down to was every school getting smaller and Canfield staying the same and actually growing a little.
Canfield City has lost population over the last decade and Canfield Township has lost population over the past decade as well, so contrary to popular belief Canfield is not growing or maintaining their population either, they just aren't bleeding population as quickly as some other areas. The one school district that might actually be maintaining or growing is South Range, other than that most others off the top of my head are dropping in numbers.
I think it simply comes down to two things, politics and competitive outlook. When the new league was formed for the foreseeable future Canfield would have won the league without giving anyone else much of a chance, and Canfield would have probably done well in most of the other sports as well.
The thing is that schools like Poland, Hubbard, Struthers have played Canfield rather competitively in recent years. The question is what do you ultimately want... a league title or a state title? It won't help you win a state title by playing Jefferson, but it might help you by playing Canfield, granted you still need to have a certain talent level.

Canfield City has lost population over the last decade and Canfield Township has lost population over the past decade as well, so contrary to popular belief Canfield is not growing or maintaining their population either, they just aren't bleeding population as quickly as some other areas. The one school district that might actually be maintaining or growing is South Range, other than that most others off the top of my head are dropping in numbers.
I think it simply comes down to two things, politics and competitive outlook. When the new league was formed for the foreseeable future Canfield would have won the league without giving anyone else much of a chance, and Canfield would have probably done well in most of the other sports as well.
The thing is that schools like Poland, Hubbard, Struthers have played Canfield rather competitively in recent years. The question is what do you ultimately want... a league title or a state title? It won't help you win a state title by playing Jefferson, but it might help you by playing Canfield, granted you still need to have a certain talent level.
Not according to the 2020 Census

"We also have cities where populations have increased. Canfield now has 7,699 people, up 184 or 2.5 percent."

Population, Census, April 1, 2020

Population, Census, April 1, 2010

I got a real good buddy that has a grandson playing for Canfield. He was at your last scrimmage and his take is Canfield's pass defense is almost non-existent. He predicts if they don't fix that very soon he sees Canfield's record at the end of the season at 5-5.

Well Canfield isn’t winning state titles playing Cleveland jfk and pleasant. When will people start up understand that people just don’t like the arrogance of Canfield and it’s community. Canfield isn’t going to be winning state titles anytime soon either, but they’re mad they didn’t get invited to a league with D4 and D5 teams

Not according to the 2020 Census

"We also have cities where populations have increased. Canfield now has 7,699 people, up 184 or 2.5 percent."

Population, Census, April 1, 2020

Population, Census, April 1, 2010
I was going from 2011 to 2021, the 2021 population is 7,077, the 2011 population was 7,482, a decrease of 405 people which is approximately a 5% decrease. I used data from the US census bureau as well.
I got a real good buddy that has a grandson playing for Canfield. He was at your last scrimmage and his take is Canfield's pass defense is almost non-existent. He predicts if they don't fix that very soon he sees Canfield's record at the end of the season at 5-5.
I don't know what the case is but I wasn't implying Canfield would be good or bad this year. Whether Canfield is good or bad has nothing to do with anything.

Well Canfield isn’t winning state titles playing Cleveland jfk and pleasant. When will people start up understand that people just don’t like the arrogance of Canfield and it’s community. Canfield isn’t going to be winning state titles anytime soon either, but they’re mad they didn’t get invited to a league with D4 and D5 teams
I am not mad they weren't invited to the league, it doesn't bother me any, it isn't that big of a deal. Sure it makes scheduling a bit easier and helps financially in some respects and logistically but ultimately Canfield will be fine as an independent. And you are 100% correct JFK and Marion Pleasant won't test Canfield, they are mainly just a bye week to help keep the team healthy all year. Canfield is playing Fitch, Boardman, Dover, New Philadelphia, and Poland which are plenty of opportunities to see what you have, what you need to work on and be ready for week 11. I would have liked to see someone better than JFK and Marion Pleasant as well, in fact I would like to see say Struthers and Hubbard in place of them on the schedule.