STOP paying people not to work - NOW!!

I have pushed for a move to a more traditional 8 hour, 3 shift model for several years but it has fallen on deaf ears. Some of the guys here love the hours and the overtime, but without a doubt it makes hiring new employees more difficult. The average person does not want to put in a 12 hour day, 5 days a week.
Its horrible for family life.....

Early in the pandemic our company offered, and the union approved, going to 4 10 hour shifts. And overtime on Friday, as needed, which is up to about every other Friday now. Otherwise 3 day weekends. Only needed to work Saturday a handful of times. Most seem to like it.

I did a stint in a former life of 12 hour shifts, 7 days/wk, for about 4 months, during summer. It was brutal. And I was young and single. More mentally than physically.

Its horrible for family life.....
I spent my 20's working nothing but OT. Sometimes I even worked 7-12's which is flat out miserable as you lose track of the day. While working 5-12's and an 8 on Saturday I managed to coach my sons travel baseball team. Coached football as well. I look back now and think how in the F I did it but when you are younger you just do it.

Tough to get people to work those kinds of hours anymore and to be honest I get it. All the money you make can never buy your time back.

I spent my 20's working nothing but OT. Sometimes I even worked 7-12's which is flat out miserable as you lose track of the day. While working 5-12's and an 8 on Saturday I managed to coach my sons travel baseball team. Coached football as well. I look back now and think how in the F I did it but when you are younger you just do it.

Tough to get people to work those kinds of hours anymore and to be honest I get it. All the money you make can never buy your time back.
Amen.....I'd hate to miss any of my children's life.

Wow. I didn't have kids then, or coach (did later), but I still partied, especially Friday/Saturday night, and operated on 3-4 hours sleep. I don't know how the F I did that I just did it too. ;)

Seriously I tip my hat to you.

My sister in law is a nurse in NC. A few years ago they couldn't get enough help on weekends so she chose 2 12 hour shifts on Sat. & Sun and got paid double time. 48 hours pay and 5 days off. That I could do. Lasted almost 2 years.

Trump stimulus encouraging people to sit on their arse = crickets.

Biden stimulus encouraging people to sit on their arse = outrage.

This is when everyone claims they were against Trump's plan even when they weren't.

False. We said then that anyone getting more money on UC than they were making at work is a MAJOR problem; it still is.

At least Trump was trying to be a little more targeted. We should be saying if you are unemployed because you worked in travel/hospitality/restaurant, then we will extend UC to you, for about one more month. After that, EVERYONE needs to go find a job - somewhere - because there are millions of them available. If you turn down work, you are cut off.

First of all recalled workers can not refuse to come back and maintain unemployment, but frankly you offer chit pay and are always going to have turnover and a hard time finding people competing with fast food chains and convenience stores.

What county do you work in? In mine the unemployment is well under 4% which is pretty full. If you want to attract new workers - gotta pay them. Or, you can make up your own fantasies and feel sorry for yourself if it makes you feel better, but that won't fix your problem.

There is nothing admirable whatsoever about government interfering with a free labor market and distorting it so radically by paying people MORE not to work. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either wholly ignorant of free-market economics or is a Marxist.

You can do better.

False. We said then that anyone getting more money on UC than they were making at work is a MAJOR problem; it still is.

At least Trump was trying to be a little more targeted. We should be saying if you are unemployed because you worked in travel/hospitality/restaurant, then we will extend UC to you, for about one more month. After that, EVERYONE needs to go find a job - somewhere - because there are millions of them available. If you turn down work, you are cut off.
Partisan hack.

How is the economy back and all the jobs back when the entertainment industry (movies, theaters, concerts), restaurant industry, pro sports, cruise lines, amusement parks, tourism, airlines, healthcare, shopping malls, other retail etc etc etc, who employ millions, not even close to 100%?

Or you just making stuff up again so you can get all worked up? Lmao.

See post # 70 above.

Then understand that every manufacturing company is desperate for workers, but the government wants to extend the pandemic hysteria and pay people to sit at home. If you lost your job as a waiter, busser, bartender, or retail associate, you may need to get re-employed at a factory, sooner rather than later. If your restaurant job comes back down the road, you can always go back. In the meantime, paying people NOT to work is absolutely asinine.

See post # 70 above.

Then understand that every manufacturing company is desperate for workers, but the government wants to extend the pandemic hysteria and pay people to sit at home. If you lost your job as a waiter, busser, bartender, or retail associate, you may need to get re-employed at a factory, sooner rather than later. If your restaurant job comes back down the road, you can always go back. In the meantime, paying people NOT to work is absolutely asinine.

Every manufacturing company? The car companies are cancelling regular and overtime shifts left and right. And not everyone is cut out to work in a factory.

Every manufacturing company? The car companies are cancelling regular and overtime shifts left and right. And not everyone is cut out to work in a factory.
Car companies are cancelling shifts because they cannot get the supplies they need because many of their suppliers are understaffed and cannot fill their orders. There is a huge shortage of microchips right now, which is also the reason why the PS5 and the new XBox are almost impossible to find. The aluminum and copper industries are also struggling. I do agree that not everyone is cut out to work in a factory, but in fairness, many who work in restaurants or retail or the entertainment industry could work in a factory but it's not what they want to do.

I do agree that not everyone is cut out to work in a factory, but in fairness, many who work in restaurants or retail or the entertainment industry could work in a factory but it's not what they want to do.

That's true. Wasn't always the case. But that's when factory jobs paid WAY more than those. Need better reasons to talk a 20 something yo into choosing and staying in some dirty manual labor job. Beyond Qcity's compelling (and ancient) "work or starve" plan.

1617565101928.png

That's true. Wasn't always the case. But that's when factory jobs paid WAY more than those. Need better reasons to talk a 20 something yo into choosing and staying in some dirty manual labor job. Beyond Qcity's compelling (and ancient) "work or starve" plan.

Ford, Husky Refinery both in Lima are hiring, both good paying jobs much better than restaurant work and much better benefits. Heard Ford is having trouble finding workers as is Crown in New Bremen and Precision Strip in Minster. Fact is most young people today just have no ambition other than to work a dead end job that pays the bills and they can work their 8 hours go home and play on their cell phone or Xbox. Can't let work get in the way of their electronic games.

Reactions: y2h
How is the economy back and all the jobs back when the entertainment industry (movies, theaters, concerts), restaurant industry, pro sports, cruise lines, amusement parks, tourism, airlines, healthcare, shopping malls, other retail etc etc etc, who employ millions, not even close to 100%?

Or you just making stuff up again so you can get all worked up? Lmao.
Try booking a hotel at any Fla. or S.C. beach for this summer let me know if you find anything.

Ford, Husky Refinery both in Lima are hiring, both good paying jobs much better than restaurant work and much better benefits. Heard Ford is having trouble finding workers as is Crown in New Bremen and Precision Strip in Minster. Fact is most young people today just have no ambition other than to work a dead end job that pays the bills and they can work their 8 hours go home and play on their cell phone or Xbox. Can't let work get in the way of their electronic games.
People say they are having trouble finding workers, but then when people apply to work they aren't looking for "those workers".

Trump stimulus encouraging people to sit on their arse = crickets.

Biden stimulus encouraging people to sit on their arse = outrage.

This is when everyone claims they were against Trump's plan even when they weren't.
I've been against it from day 1. I was also against the shutdown which was the impetus for the spending party.

What a lucky honor it was, for frontline healthcare workers, low wage fast food and essential service industry workers, to continue to take care of you, and serve you, during the pandemic, at their own health risks hospitalizations and often death. They had it easy and deserve nothing. How republican of you.
You think they should be rewarded simply for doing their job?

Worthy of rational debate.

I would agree that unemployment should be bare subsistence, with more enforcement of active searching, however possible. But the issue goes back to good paying jobs imo.

Without gov. control you ask? Well, how do you "force" companies to raise wages, versus, subsidizing those companies wages to keep their own employees out of poverty? That's a tough circle to try to square. Personally I'm on the side of raising the min. wage to a more livable wage. With some exceptions for teens, students, small cos. (under 10 employees or low sales revenue floor). In my mind a 40 hour work week for adults should not require welfare, or at least very little. That's how you get SMALLER government, OUT of the capitalistic model, with people LESS reliant on assistance. Not the opposite like some would argue.
Learn a skill or get an education. If you are 40 with a family flipping burgers for 8 bucks an hour you F'd up.

We have upgraded our workforce in the last year. Every position that was questionable before the pandemic has a much better person there now.

Learn a skill or get an education. If you are 40 with a family flipping burgers for 8 bucks an hour you F'd up.

If you're 40 with a family working in a factory for $35k you F'd up too. Doubly so if you're republican.

Not only is it true, there have been a few people we hired and let go in the last 9 months because of attendance issues that in the past we would have let slide, but we upgraded the upgrades. Just today we were able to pull a person from one position in the company and move her to a position she was better suited for because we found a replacement for her (upgrade) at her old position. Not only have we made upgrades, we have also added 5 new positions and will be moving to a larger facility in June.

My 18 year old son even upgraded his job twice. (Had to postpone college because he is a disaster at the distance learning. Needs face to face) Working at a Starbucks now at $11.50 an hour + tips. 21 year old Step Daughter went from working 3 garbage jobs to one good job and one she can take or leave. She works at a doggie day care (The one she can take or leave) because she loves dogs.

Not only is it true, there have been a few people we hired and let go in the last 9 months because of attendance issues that in the past we would have let slide, but we upgraded the upgrades. Just today we were able to pull a person from one position in the company and move her to a position she was better suited for because we found a replacement for her (upgrade) at her old position. Not only have we made upgrades, we have also added 5 new positions and will be moving to a larger facility in June.

My 18 year old son even upgraded his job twice. (Had to postpone college because he is a disaster at the distance learning. Needs face to face) Working at a Starbucks now at $11.50 an hour + tips. 21 year old Step Daughter went from working 3 garbage jobs to one good job and one she can take or leave. She works at a doggie day care (The one she can take or leave) because she loves dogs.
My fault. You were talking specifically about just the place where you work.

I thought the "we" referred to the American workforce, which is obviously way too broad.