Steve Arnold steps down as Warren G Harding head coach

Not trying to be a wet blanket here, but what has Richardson done that makes him a “wow” hire? I only ask because I know very little about him, other than he is from Warren and was most recently on the Hoban staff? I really hope he returns the WGH program to great heights, of course. I’m just curious as to what makes him stand out?

Not trying to be a wet blanket here, but what has Richardson done that makes him a “wow” hire? I only ask because I know very little about him, other than he is from Warren and was most recently on the Hoban staff? I really hope he returns the WGH program to great heights, of course. I’m just curious as to what makes him stand out?
If he was the offensive coordinator at Hoban these past 3 years I am not impressed although maybe Tyrell was running the offense I don't know.

Good question...I think this has to do with getting community and young men excited about football again in Warren. It's been 20 years since it felt that way and it has shown because kids go to jfk, uhs and other schools. I also believe because of his football credibility that he will once again attract great coaches to staff...used to have 4-5 head coaches on staff and it hasn't felt that way recently...even when they came they left quickly (see parry and Bayuk). Slam dunk hire for the current situation.

They had a D1 college recruit QB last year who will play for Marshall this year.
Did you watch him play in the state championship game he was awful? Hoban had no choice but to ride Sperling even in obvious passing situations. He was steady prior and Hoban’s offense was playing well until they ran into TCC

I’m not questioning the hire at all. I’ve heard his name quite a bit over the last couple years, and everyone believes this is a home run hire, so I’m just curious as to why? Not because he isn’t the right hire. Just because I only know two things about him. He’s from Warren, which is important for sure. He’s been the Hoban OC, which has been successful but hardly complex. I’ve also heard he’s a nice guy. I would like to see WGH football flourish. Warren needs it. So I’m just looking to those more familiar with Richardson and the WGH situation as to why this is a home run hire.

Did you watch him play in the state championship game he was awful? Hoban had no choice but to ride Sperling even in obvious passing situations. He was steady prior and Hoban’s offense was playing well until they ran into TCC
Totally accurate.

Why was he awful for them, but a D1 recruit for others?
Because college coaches care about how a player projects then how they play. They care more about size and athleticism than actually ability and skill. That is not to say the young man or others are not talented. But that is why people get recruited.

I’m not questioning the hire at all. I’ve heard his name quite a bit over the last couple years, and everyone believes this is a home run hire, so I’m just curious as to why? Not because he isn’t the right hire. Just because I only know two things about him. He’s from Warren, which is important for sure. He’s been the Hoban OC, which has been successful but hardly complex. I’ve also heard he’s a nice guy. I would like to see WGH football flourish. Warren needs it. So I’m just looking to those more familiar with Richardson and the WGH situation as to why this is a home run hire.
He’s greatly respected as a man and coach, his resume speaks for itself. Played in 2 state championships in high school winning one for HOF coach Napolet, then was a 4 year letterman and 2 NCAA champion at YSU under HOF coach Tressel, broke into coaching at WGH as running backs coach for HOF coach Thom McDaniels being the position coach for Mo Clarret and Boom Herron, moved on to be OC under coach Jim McQuaide at Solon high school when things were rolling, and just finished his 3rd season at Hoban under coach Tyrell as RB’s coach and 2 years as OC coaching his second Mr Football Lamar Sperling

He’s greatly respected as a man and coach, his resume speaks for itself. Played in 2 state championships in high school winning one for HOF coach Napolet, then was a 4 year letterman and 2 NCAA champion at YSU under HOF coach Tressel, broke into coaching at WGH as running backs coach for HOF coach Thom McDaniels being the position coach for Mo Clarret and Boom Herron, moved on to be OC under coach Jim McQuaide at Solon high school when things were rolling, and just finished his 3rd season at Hoban under coach Tyrell as RB’s coach and 2 years as OC coaching his second Mr Football Lamar Sperling
Thanks! That’s what I was looking for. Some fleshing out of his background. That looks like a very solid resume.

Thanks! That’s what I was looking for. Some fleshing out of his background. That looks like a very solid resume.
Yes , the quarterbacks at Hoban these last 3 years were not nearly as good as Shane Hamm and Danny Clark were.The thing is Hoban after Hamm graduated brought in 2 tranfer quarterbacks who were not very good.The 2 quarterbacks who tranferred out of Hoban Both players went on and threw for like 1100 yards 30 touchdowns and completed over 60% of their passes. The 2 quarterbacks Hoban brought in as transfers were nowhere as close to being as good. I would say that is on the head coach not the offensive coordinator.

Will probably be in tomorrow's paper.
Yeah, I just get frustrated with their lack of coverage. It’s the only game in town for the most part and how hard is it to put something on the website. It’s just a pet peeve of mine. Not long ago it would have been front page news seconds after the announcement. Come on Joel…put a few minutes typing time in.
First world problems, I know.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just get frustrated with their lack of coverage. It’s the only game in town for the most part and how hard is it to put something on the website. It’s just a pet peeve of mine. Not long ago it would have been front page news seconds after the announcement
First world problems, I know.
They’ve had trouble in the last 3 years getting reporters and bringing in a out of town sports editor hasn’t helped

But got the man they wanted two of the last 3 years.