St. Xavier Football 2022

A 3 second video of him throwing one pass has the football world abuzz? Really? Best of luck to him, but there is a lot more to the game than throwing a pass in shorts
I think it can get interesting seeing as though there is not a definitive starter yet. The fact he's still practicing with varsity and no one has pulled away with the job means its still wide open

I think it can get interesting seeing as though there is not a definitive starter yet. The fact he's still practicing with varsity and no one has pulled away with the job means its still wide open
That is quite understandable, but the article made it seem like he is the second coming of Peyton Manning or for that matter Arch Manning. It is one pass in his shorts. I think people put too much stock in the fact that he is Herbstreits kid. The other kids were all walk on's at either Clemson or Ohio state

That is quite understandable, but the article made it seem like he is the second coming of Peyton Manning or for that matter Arch Manning. It is one pass in his shorts. I think people put too much stock in the fact that he is Herbstreits kid. The other kids were all walk on's at either Clemson or Ohio state
He's definitely under the microscope.

As an undersized freshman I didn't think he would be in this year's conversation but his growth spurt over the past 6-8 months changed that, and he looks like he's going to grow some more.

ON3 lists him at 6'1" 180lb

With his dad and older brothers he's been around the game all his life.
I'm told he's got a great work ethic, sound mechanics, stellar teammates and superb coaches (Specht, Tony Pike and Andrew Coverdale)

Per last year's article (link below) the Herbstreit's chose StX for it's "school and culture" and because of OC Coverdale whom Kirk had high praise..."a genius", "a mad scientist" and "a college level OC".

He's definitely under the microscope.

As an undersized freshman I didn't think he would be in this year's conversation but his growth spurt over the past 6-8 months changed that, and he looks like he's going to grow some more.

ON3 lists him at 6'1" 180lb

With his dad and older brothers he's been around the game all his life.
I'm told he's got a great work ethic, sound mechanics, stellar teammates, superb coaches (Specht, Tony Pike and Andrew Coverdale)

Per last year's article (link below) the Herbstreit's chose StX for it's "school and culture" and because of OC Coverdale whom Kirk had high praise..."a genius", "a mad scientist" and "a college level OC".

The kid may end up being a great QB, or an average QB or a kid who never starts at St X. The hype is due to his last name as opposed to his current performance. I hope the kid ends up being a stud QB for St X but we will have to wait and see what he does on the field.

There is a freshman qb that's like 6'3 about 200lbs. He's an outstanding athlete, its going to be interesting to what his impact is after this year.

Specht's quote from the Enquirer football preview article indicates the QB competition is wide open AND that whoever wins it is going to be good.

"I guarantee you this, we're going to line up with somebody under center and he's going to do a good job for us," Specht said.

There is a freshman qb that's like 6'3 about 200lbs. He's an outstanding athlete, its going to be interesting to what his impact is after this year.
He's impressive. Not your typical freshman.

Often times, but not always, a player who comes in as a QB or plays QB on JV moves to another position to play varsity.

In the past 2 years I can think of 6 players who played QB as freshmen or sophomores and changed positions to start on varsity.
Last season's team Brennan Bareswilt at safety, Ryan Nolan at corner and Max Klare at tight end.
Previous year Liam Clifford at WR, Drew Britt was moved to safety his junior year and Wiles Dolle was moved to corner his junior year.

This season, the 3 QBs are in different classes so hopefully they all remain at QB where they likely belong. Like Clifford and Wolf they may be D1 level QBs

I could bring up the Robbie Schoenhoft can of worms regarding not moving a D1 QB to another position (in this case TE) to make room for Dom Randolph who set QB college records at Holy Cross and tried out with the Jets but I will refrain.

Hopefully the Bombers have enough talent at all the other positions and no need to move them.

He's impressive. Not your typical freshman.

Often times, but not always, a player who comes in as a QB or plays QB on JV moves to another position to play varsity.

In the past 2 years I can think of 6 players who played QB as freshmen or sophomores and changed positions to start on varsity.
Last season's team Brennan Bareswilt at safety, Ryan Nolan at corner and Max Klare at tight end.
Previous year Liam Clifford at WR, Drew Britt was moved to safety his junior year and Wiles Dolle was moved to corner his junior year.

This season, the 3 QBs are in different classes so hopefully they all remain at QB where they likely belong. Like Clifford and Wolf they may be D1 level QBs

I could bring up the Robbie Schoenhoft can of worms regarding not moving a D1 QB to another position (in this case TE) to make room for Dom Randolph who set QB college records at Holy Cross and tried out with the Jets but I will refrain.

Hopefully the Bombers have enough talent at all the other positions and no need to move them.
The crazy thing about Ryan Nolan is he would have started at probably 95% of schools in the state and been a star, and gathered a number of scholarship offers.

I am really interested to see how this season's offense shakes out. The line could just be physically huge, but aside from Wassler, the skill positions are unknown. Napier seemed to put the ball on the ground too much, and Rivers is tiny. BUT, Napier was only a sophomore, and the potential was obvious.

It does seem like the biggest changes in size and ability happen between that soph and junior year, so it wouldn't be completely surprising to see a couple relative unknowns emerge in camp

That is one of the tough things about being a player at X, there is so much talent at times kids have to move. I don't like what college recruiting has become, now its all about the camp circuit and performing when there. That actually helped a kid like Nolan who go to work as a QB at those camps so he still received plenty of exposure.

Also agree on the lack of receiving experience. In the past there was often one player could win matchups irrrespective of the system. Thank goodness for Coach Cov and his system which is probably the best in the country at getting kids open. Should be a fun year.

I don't like what college recruiting has become, now its all about the camp circuit and performing when there.
The frosh QB who is pushing the upperclassmen just competed in the elite, invite only National Futures Showcase camp in Naples, FL this past weekend.

The kid may end up being a great QB, or an average QB or a kid who never starts at St X. The hype is due to his last name as opposed to his current performance. I hope the kid ends up being a stud QB for St X but we will have to wait and see what he does on the field.
His goal is to follow in dad's footsteps to the Shoe.

The article says he is behind a couple upperclassmen
Hmmmm.......

StX QB Post HS
Brogan McCaughey (2020-22) Yale
Matthew Rueve (2019) Boston College
Wyatt Hudepohl (2018) Kentucky (baseball)
Chase Wolf (2017) Wisconsin
Sean Clifford (2014-16) Penn State
Nick Tensing (2012-13) Ohio State (preferred walk on)
Griffin Dolle (2010-11) DePauw
Luke Massa (2007-09) Notre Dame
John Hurley (2007) Penn
Brad Scherer (2005) Miami OH (baseball)
Rob Schoenhoft (2003-04) Ohio State/Deleware
Dom Randolph (2003-04) Holy Cross
Marty Mooney Jr (1999-2001) Notre Dame/Yale
Mike Healey (1986-87) Vanderbilt
Greg Frey (1983 and 1985) Ohio State
Steve Boeckmann (1979-80) Kentucky
George Ratterman (1941-43) Notre Dame / Cleveland Browns

3 Questions

2. Is Drake Ross playing this season?

3. With the emergence of the 3 senior defensive linemen (Antony Morris, Isiah Jackson and Dijon Harris) all of whom are getting college offers/looks and junior power5 DE Ted Hammond, do the coaches move Adams and other DLinemen to the offens
heard Ross transferred out and Adams is playing offensive line

Questions related to games/tickets.

1) Has the X v. Lakota game at TQL rumor officially been squashed? Is that game definitively going to be at Lakota West (I will assume so until I see something official to the contrary). And to that extent, will it sell out and does anybody have an "in" to get ticket if it does? I assume you would probably be better off trying to buy from Lakota rather than the limited number likely available through X.

2) I believe Monday is the opening of new and/or changed season ticket orders. I have had trouble logging into my Hometown Tickets account (can't get in, can't even get a password reset or someone who will help me). Anyone with similar issues and/or solutions?

Entirely too early to tell but seeing as though it appears they are letting the seniors get 1st crack at the QB job, has anyone heard or know which way the coaches are leaning or still wide open
The seniors were given opportunities early in camp but in yesterdays 7v7 I believe it was just O'Malley (#10) and Herbstreit (#19)

Offense per 7v7

QB: Nod to O'Malley but Herbstreit more than capable backup.
Both looked sharp supporting Specht's comment in Springer's article...."whoever it is will do a good job for us"

OL: Of course the trenches don't exist in 7v7 but it looks like Fleetwood (#66) is likely moving from guard to center as he was the primary center yesterday with both QBs taking snaps from under center and in the gun.

TE: Joey Wassler (#88) will pick up where Max Klare left off......lining up as blocking TE, receiving TE and split out wide.
He's a big target, gets open and catches anything near him. It's good to have a premier D1 talent at TE in Coverdale's system.
The second TE spot had several players looking good (#80, #86 and #87) likely Luke Klare, Walton, Mason and Scheurmann

RB: Looks like Coverdale is going to use junior Steve Napier (#4) as he did Kellom last season.....as the featured running back who also catches the ball out of the backfield AND lines up as a wide receiver in multiple receiver sets.
#3 also lined up at both RB and in the slot and looked good.....not certain of player's name

WR: Jamal Sharp (#82) stood out yesterday. So did #12 but not certain of name.
There were another half dozen WR's yesterday #13, #16 #20, #21 and #23 (Griesser, Nicholson, Goshorn, McClatchey, Shamsi?)

Could Bonner play safety or adjuster to make room for one of them at Jet or is Bonner just too good at the position to be moved?
Bonner (#7) was playing safety/adjuster in the 7v7 yesterday so good chance he is being moved from LB to the secondary

LBs: 37-38-45 (Beck, Rose and Hang?)
CBs: 6, 14 and 31 (Houston, Hall and Harris?). #17 did not play but hanging with the CBs
Safeties: 2-7-5 (Myers-Bonner-Devine)

Anybody else attend and have better info on numbers, positions etc.?

heard Ross transferred out and Adams is playing offensive line
Disappointing....good luck to Ross.
With Fleetwood moved to center, Adams would make a good guard replacement and Dollenmeyer at the other guard position?
The tackles are probably set with a pair of D1 prospects in Fogler and Kattus.

Bonner (#7) was playing safety/adjuster in the 7v7 yesterday so good chance he is being moved from LB to the secondary

LBs: 37-38-45 (Beck, Rose and Hang?)
CBs: 6, 14 and 31 (Houston, Hall and Harris?). #17 did not play but hanging with the CBs
Safeties: 2-7-5 (Myers-Bonner-Devine)

Anybody else attend and have better info on numbers, positions etc.?
Hang is not playing this season. He actually just got a scholarship to Kentucky for Diving.

Disappointing....good luck to Ross.
With Fleetwood moved to center, Adams would make a good guard replacement and Dollenmeyer at the other guard position?
The tackles are probably set with a pair of D1 prospects in Fogler and Kattus.
A lot to be gleaned from this article by Mike Dyer who I imagine consulted Coach Specht.......

Dollenmeyer and Adams are likely starters on the O-Line (as guards)
Jamal Sharp is heir apparent to McFarlin at WR
Robert Houston and Macen Hall are the likely cornerbacks
Bonner is not set on whether he will play LB or in the secondary.
Pete Rose will play both sides of the ball (MLB on defense and H-Back on offense)
That was probably Rose wearing the #3 jersey on offense in Saturday 7v7
Dijon Harris figures in the DLine rotation with Hammond and Morris (Isiah Jackson also in rotation?)

Offense (after 7v7's, before scrimmages)
QB #10 Jack O’Malley Jr. 6'1" 190lb / #7 Chase Herbstriet So. 6'1" 180lb
RB #4 Steve Napier Jr. 5’10” 197lb
H-Back #3 Pete Rose III Sr 6’0” 200lb
TE1 #88 Joey Wassler Sr. 6’5” 225lb offers from Kent State, UConn, Harvard, Temple, Fordham, Memphis, Princeton, Navy, App State, Dartmouth, Army, Yale, Michigan, Illinois St, Miami (OH), Ohio, Bryant, Liberty, Youngstown State, Air Force Academy, James Madison, South Dakota
TE2 Seniors: Doran Mason/Will Hendon/Pat Walton/Frank Scheurmann and Juniors: Luke Klare and Will Hester
LT #79 Tucker Kattus So. 6’5” 260lb offers from Kentucky and Miami OH
LG #54 JJ Dollenmeyer Sr. 6'3" 270lb
C #66 Evan Fleetwood Sr. 6’3” 270lb offers from University Tennessee Martin, Walsh University, Valparaiso
RG #72 Braylon Adams Sr. 6'1" 285lb
RT #77 Rob Fogler Sr. 6’7” 308lb offers from Georgia Tech, Indiana, Miami OH, Bowling Green, Kent State, Middle Tennessee State, Western Michigan, UConn, Bryant University and Central Michigan

Defense (after 7v7's, before scrimmages)
RE #44 Dijon Harris Sr. 6'1" 230lb / #53 Isiah Jackson Sr. 6'3" 235lb offers from Otterbein, Hanover
NG #99 Antony Morris Sr. 6'2" 273lb offers from Morehead St, Valparaiso, Hanover, Walsh University
LE #97 Ted Hammond Jr. 6'5” 260lb offers from Vanderbilt, Temple, UMass, UConn, Pitt, Miami (OH), Duke, Iowa, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Kentucky
OLB (Will) #37 Justin Kattus Jr. 6'1" 220lb
ILB (Sam) #38 Noah Beck Jr. 6’2” 230lb
OLB (Jet) #8 Alex Devine Sr. 5'11" 190lb
Adj #7 Max Bonner Jr. 6’1” 205lb commitment to Michigan for LAX
FS #2 Nolan Myers Sr. 6'2" 167lb
SS #5 Lucas Bishop So. 5'10" 160lb / #12 Shane Strayhorn So. 5'11" 160lb
CB #6 Robert Houston Sr. 5'10" 165lb offers from Centre College, Wilmington
CB #17 Macen Hall Jr. 5'10" 165lb / #14 Cole Harris Jr. / #31 Amir Abubakr