Solon Baseball-2007

Well I heard Hudson won 8-7 nine innings. Solon supposedly had bases loaded in 8th, no outs, didn't score? This is non-substantiated. Hope it's blarney!

Two reports of a Hudson win

Well I heard Hudson won 8-7 nine innings. Solon supposedly had bases loaded in 8th, no outs, didn't score? This is non-substantiated. Hope it's blarney!

Hurricane -are you referring to the posy by rootbeer08?

Hudson topped the Solon Comets in this one, 8-7, in the bottom of the 9th inning. Solon wasted a golden opportunity in the 8th inning with no outs and the bases loaded, but came out with nothing. Hudson scored on a 2-out infield single to third when they had the bases loaded. It was a great game. Congrats to both teams.

This may be more of a report than the PD will have in the morning.

This morning's paper confirms the Hudson 8-7 win over Solon.

Those three games the two teams played this year were sure filled with late game action to determine the winner!

Nice run for the young Comets. Let's take care of Nordonia and one or two of the Shaker games Saturday at JCU.

Right on Gramps1. Solon has come together and really playing well. This is a young team and , by any and all accounts, should be a major player next season. :cool:

This baseball team has a chance at a winning season. The Comets stand at 10-11 overall and 6-6 in the WRC. Four games remain and two are conference home and away contests with Brush on Monday & Tuesday. Saturday is a double header with Shaker at JCU field. Last chance guys to see this 2007 unit.

So far it has been a good week. Sure it was a tough loss in the Sectionals to Hudson, but it was an exciting effort. Yesterday they took Nordonia 7-3 with Gerstenslager getting the win with 6 innings of work and Welsch finishing up. Noticed that Donnelly caught this 4th game in four days. Papesh had another HR. Nordonia led after two innings but that was all. The crooked number error total belonged to the Knights. Line score was Solon 7-11-1 and Nordonia 3-6-6.

So we need to win 3 out of 4 to have a winning season. Ice those arms. It's not out of the question. Great finish for this developing team.

Very busy down here. Strawberries are in. $6 a gallon, pick and eat all you want!! Two's enough bending for me, thanks.

Bad news, nearly all of the blueberries and perhaps half of the grape crop lost to that Easter freeze. Strawberries survived with covers and overnight sprinkling. Many tobacco fields yielding different crops now including lots of "healthy" sweet potatoes.

Wish you guys would get out to some games!

I wish I could get out to some games, Grandpa. I'm still fighting health issues. Right now, I just want to ensure that I'll be ready to go for football season.

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. I'd love nothing more than to see the team finish the season on a high note. Not only would three more wins end the string of two straight sub-.500 seasons, they would be a great confidence-builder heading into next year. But whatever happens, it's been a great season for Solon. A young team has tackled one of the toughest schedules in the area and hasn't cowed one bit. Not many teams around here are even capable of beating Mentor or Hudson.

****Apparently, a lot of people missed this, but Zach Papesh was honored in Thursday's Plain Dealer as one of its Players of the Week. The PD mentioned that Zach went 7-for-15 last week, with three home runs, 10 RBI, and eight runs scored. His walkoff granny vs. Falls was noted. Of course, Papesh followed that with another HR vs. Nordy.

Here's another tidbit: I checked out St. Ignatius' website and looked up their baseball results. I found that the Cats' JV team is something like 16-3, playing mostly topflight competition. One of Iggy's losses came to Solon, which beat the Cats, 3-2 on April 19. Not a bad accomplishment, considering that most of Solon's best 10th-grade talent is already on the varsity.

I also checked out Solon's website for next year's NEOC divisions. Yes, the NEOC is truly the conference that requires fans to use a guide to keep track of the teams. In 2008, the Comets will be in a division consisting of Stow, Hudson, Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga Falls, and Mayfield. In other words, Solon baseball will be saying "goodbye" to Nordonia, Twinsburg, and Brush and "hello" to Garfield.

Last edited:
JCU field? Is that John Carroll? Listen, the Hurricanes had Wake Forest down 6 runs and couldn't hold it yesterday, the rain and lightning delays killed them. Score tied 8-8 in 12th suspended, finish today and then play another regular scheduled. These games will decide if Miami goes to ACC tourney. Or Wake. 34 years straight Miami has made post season. May end this year.

Listen Gramps send us some RAIN!!!!! It's a freaking dry, dusty, desert at my house up in north Solon on Ledgehill. The rivers and streams at the parks are basically dried out rocks. We surely get the winds though. And snow. :cool:

Suspended game win for Miami

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Gus Menendez hit a two-out single in the top of the 14th inning to score Jamile Weeks from second base, lifting Miami to a 9-8 win over Wake Forest here Saturday, completing a suspended game that began on Friday.

BTW Hurri-Comet, the rain total from that storm yesterday totaled 0.25". Not enough to share. So how about those Shaker games at John Carroll?

Wins coming in pairs

It was a double header sweep at Shaker field after yet another conflict with a high school attempting to play at a local college facility. Frustrating dealing with John Carroll and Baldwin-Wallace sometimes. The baseball Comets sit at 12-11 (6-6 in WRC) and a chance for a winning season and winning conference with a last home game Monday with Brush and a season final at Brush Tuesday. Brush is 4-8 in conference play.

Yesterday morning the Comets put 13 on the board with 11 hits but Shaker had 5 errors to help. The line score was Solon 13-11-2 and Shaker 5-9-5. Heus pitched 6 innings and was the winner.

The second game in the afternoon needed another Papesh HR as Gore was the winner. Solon 6-12-1 and Shaker 5-10-2.

So the record for the week was 5-1 and considerably brightened the season record for the hardballers. After a week with 6 games like this, you can pretty much figure those sophomores are already juniors. I never played 6 games in two weeks as a senior or in three weeks as a sophomore. Go Comets!! Two more for Gipper!!

:party:

BTW in yesterdays full 9 inning game, the Demon Deacons put it to the Hurricanes 12-10 with a 2-run walk-off HR in the bottom of the ninth. Warthogs won too!

Miami did eeke out a 2-1 win at Wake on Sunday, stifling another Deacon final inning rally.

Last edited:
Last home game victory

The baseball Comets closed out their home season with a win over Brush thereby assuring themselves of a winninig record (13-11) with one game remaining. Moeschberger pitched the win and ends his season at 3-1.

A win at Brush today would give the Comets a winning WRC conference record too.

In other action, Twinsburg (11-13) outscored Hudson (19-6) by a 10-8 final.

A Winning Record

One big inning was too much for the Comets to overcome in the season finale at Brush yesterday in a 16-3 loss.

So the season ends with an 13-12 record and an even split of the WRC games.

Congratulations baseball Comets! Great effort in 2007.

Lots of baseball wins!

The Solon Schools website has a nice summary of the baseball season.
For those who don't check that site regularly, here's the piece:

For the first time in three years, the varsity baseball Comets posted a winning record, completing the year at 13-12. Seniors Anthony Welsch, Tim Coan, Kyle Gore, Mike Famageltto, Ben Tornatore, Dom Musarra, and John Popson turned around a season that stood at 4-9 by finishing 9-3. It was a banner year for the rest of the program as well as the junior varsity posted a 21-2 record under Coach Scott Gray, while the Freshmen were 14-3 under Rick Filighera, and the eighth graders finished 6-3 under Garrett Patty. Thank you to all who supported the program this year and Good Luck Seniors!!!!

That's a total of 33-18 from 8th grade up! Seems like the varsity got squared away after those 5 players quit the team after the poor start.

Way to go Comet baseballers!:clap::banana::banana::party::banana:

All-Conference

Congrats to pitcher Johnny Moeschberger and third baseman Zach Moss for being selected to the 1st Team WRC All-Conference.

Also two brothers make Honorable Mention. Senior shortstop Anthony Welsch and soph. pitcher Joe Welsch.

Nice achievement after a fine season.

:party: