Solon Baseball-2007

Golly Gee GranPa, you got way too much time on your hands! Anyway, up here it's still winter, and last weeks 31" in my development is finally mostly gone. Just much more snow plowing damage. SHEEEZ! I think Solon had a game this afternoon, but temp was about 40 with sustained winds of 25-30.

Who said "April is the cruelest month"?

Grandpa,

Nice research on roster sizes. You ever thought about doing a doctoral dissertation? You'd have no trouble finding sources.

Solon's got good numbers. What's encouraging is that much of the roster is young, and much of the youth is already on the varsity. This year might turn out to be a good one, but the best days are yet to come.

More bad weather predicted this weekend. The Comets probably won't get a game in before Monday. I hope we've got some depth in our pitching staff, because the Comets are going to have a lot of makeup games.

Grandpa,

Nice research on roster sizes. You ever thought about doing a doctoral dissertation? You'd have no trouble finding sources.

Thanks for the kind words Metacomet & Hurri-Comet.

Yes Meta, I already moved on your suggestion and got my PHD last month. I got it from DU via the internet. Djibouti University is in the city of Djibouti which is the capital of Djibouti.

What the heck is taking so long down at Kent?

What the heck is taking so long down at Kent?

It's those darn academic requirements. They actually make you study here. If only I'd known about Djibouti U.:wallbang:

On the down side, the Comets fall to Stow, 7-1 on Friday. The Dogs touched up Gore. Solon is now 3-3. Fortunately, Solon is done with Stow. Unfortunately, the Comets still must play Hudson twice.

Well all righty then! Solon hosting undefeated Hudson yesterday and beat them 5-3. Comets scored two runs in bottom of seventh when junior Matt Dula doubled, then scored on sophomore Zach Moss' two-out, walk off home run. Solon now 4-3, 3-2; Hudson now 8-1 4-1. Welsch got the win, now 2-0, Hirrsch and Moss hit round-trippers. Yeah Baby! Young team coming together.

Quality win for Solon. Hudson just voted #10 in the state.

So, scoring 5 was good and only giving up 3 was good. Team win!

Hang in there, better weather coming.

I'm off to check out a couple of Ohio college campuses and spring football is in the air. Maybe I'll run back some punts and hold for the kicker.:cool: :thumb: :rainbow:

"Ah in the spring an old man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of fielding punts and holding extra point kicks,......:mad:

:hello: better cut down on the Miller's lite Pop.

Comets drop a doubleheader to St. Edward, Moeschberger pitched well in the opener, a 3-0 loss. The schedule is catching up to Solon, as the Comets fell to 4-6. Solon's last six games have been against Stow, Hudson, and St. Ed's, all among the state's best.

Anyone have information on how the JV and freshman teams are doing?

The Solon freshman are 5-1 i believe with their only loss coming against hudson who they split with,they won their game tonight in 10 innings against mayfield 7-5

Good news, SC. Thanks for the update. Do you know who the key players are on the freshman team?

errors?

Plain dealer has last night's game as Mayfield 12 - Solon 3 with the Comets having 9 errors!! Can this be right?? What the heck is going on?? :shrug:

Pretty quiet on here about Comet baseball. Hope Meta is feeling better.

See in the PD they lost to a good Cuy. Falls (11-6) team. Solon only got one run and J.Welsch lost 5-1.

We sit at 4-9 record going into a tough end-of-week schedule with Euclid and at Mentor.

Interesting how some schools like Bedford only played 8 games this spring, Solon got 13 and some have 18/19 games. Depends on the snow I guess.

Bedford Hts was mostly farms when I went to Bedford High and there was a large lot (where the Bedford Hts Sewage Plant is now on Solon Road), and the lot was back-filled with large stone covered with fine gray slag. It could rain all morning and we could practice outside; we just drove out to what we affectionately called the OKEFENOKEE for practice while other schools were indoors. Bedford misses that advantage; they are 4-4!

Great game by the Comets yesterday. Nice writeup in the PD. Johnny Moesch keeps the team in the game with a five-hitter, and Papesh beats Falls in the ninth with a grand slam. The 5-1 win breaks a six-game losing streak and lifts Solon to 4-6 in the WRC. It was Moeschberger's first-ever varsity win.

The Comets have four league games left; two each against Nordonia and Brush. These games are winnable, and it would be great to see a young Comet team reach .500 in WRC play.

WOW! That was a great win and a nice writeup. I'll tell you Meta, it's hard for me to find these stories buried in the links of the internet PD.

I mean, a walk-off Grand Slam for Papesh is something you savor for a lifetime. Meta's post had me confused for a second because my copy of the Solon Times (5-9 day delivery) with the story of Zak Moss's walk-off HR against Hudson just hit my recycling bag the other day and here is another walk-off. This is stuff the NY Yankees are made of. I even feel for the Falls starter who did so well, but his bullpen didn't.

So a split with Falls is good. Hope an arm is ready for Euclid and I see Mentor won one they should not have. Next week ends the season so let it all out COMETS! Do something else that you can talk about at your 50th Class Reunion!!!

Solon outslugs Euclid

Gosh, I found the baseball scores in this morning's interent PD, but not on the link called "Scoreboard" which was still Wednesday's scores. Amazing!

Solon beat Euclid 14-3. Did anyone see Popson or Papesh hit their HR's?

Nice win for Gore (the pitcher not politician).

Bring on those Mentor Cardinals.

Another nice win was Hudson, 7-6, over Ignatius.

Sunday PD says we split with Mentor! Great! Most of Mentor's losses are from WRC opponents.

The second game went 10 innings with Solon winning 5-4. Welsch started, Meschberger in the 3rd and Heus came in the 4th and apparently went to the 10th for the win.

The first game was a 2-1 loss for Solon and charged to Gerstenslager. Tough!

Interesting that the winning pitcher for Mentor is named "Evanko". My Grandfather immigrated to Marblehead in 1902 with other Slovak relatives, some named "Ivanko". Some Americanized that name to "Evans".

The original schedule shows Nordonia on Mon & Tues; two games with Shaker Hts (at JCU) on Sat. and Brush on Monday, 5/14. Are there any other make-ups?

Nice couple of days for the Comets. A 2-1 outcome vs. Euclid and Mentor is something positive for a young team to build upon. Mentor was something like 16-2 before Saturday's doubleheader. Lots of good innnings by Gerstenslager, Moeschberger, and Welsch. Papesh is coming through with clutch hits.

This week's schedule has some changes. The school website indicates that Solon is heading to Barberton on Tuesday for a sectional game. If the Comets win, they'll play another sectional game at Hudson on Wednesday. The games scheduled vs. Nordonia will probably be postponed to a later date.

Grandpa--Keep your eye open for schedule changes. I'd count on the Shaker games being played; I know that Solon also had a game scheduled vs. University School. I don't know what's going to happen with that.

A BIG week of baseball

Yes Meta, anytime, any year that you play three games with Euclid & Mentor resulting in a 2-1 record it was a good series. I think all three of Mentor's losses (17-3) are to WRC teams!

Yes Meta I will click thru the steps on the school site to find the schedule changes. That's why I come to this site four times a day to find out what's going on; but not much news here.

I see the Nordonia game was moved to 5/10 and Barberton inserted. Now is the Hudson game a tournament only game? It doesn't happen for Solon if they lose to Barberton? This is a crazy time of the season for HS baseball. Just not enough arms for the schedule this week! :dang:

Nice start to week

Monday's baseball victory over Nordonia, 12-2, got the Comets started. Gore was the wining pitcher and Donnelly hit a HR. Congrats!

Tuesday it's at Barberton. Couldn't find out much about the Magic except that a week ago their record was 13-7 so they do win often.

Wednesday could be at Hudson, that is, if the Comets beat Barberton.

Thursday Nordonia come to town.

Saturday is a double header against Shaker at JCU.

Noticed some good games yesterday. Mentor beat Euclid 2-1 and Eastlake beat Willoughby 8-7.

I've been looking for the result of today's sectional vs. Barberton, and I can't find anything. I guess we'll have to wait for Wednesday's PD. The Hudson game is a sectional, so the Comets must beat the Magics to qualify to play Hudson.

Lots of talk on the other forum about the Greater Cleveland area's best baseball conference. The consensus seems to be that the WRC is the best public conference.

A couple of posters also lauded Solon's sophomore class, and pointed out that the Comets have a bright future.

WIN at Barberton

[SIZE=+1]Hey Meta, you taught me to snoop around the school web site and this is what I found this morning:

Baseball Team Advances to Second Round Today at Hudson
[/SIZE]

Your varsity baseball Comets rallied from a 3-1 deficit with a seven run fifth inning en route to a 9-4 victory over Barberton yesterday in the first round of the state tournament. The Comets, (9-10) winners in 5 of their last six games, visit Hudson (18-5)today Wednesday, May 9 at 4:30. Solon split a pair of hotly-contested games with the Explorers this season winning 5-3 on a walk off home run before bowing at Hudson 11-9. Please come out and support the team on what will be a beautiful day for baseball.
:clap:

Good luck Comets at Hudson!!! (an amazing website!)

Not that I follow Mentor's baseball team that closely, but I do know that all three of their losses were to WRC. Mayfield somehow swept a double header against the Cards a few weeks back and Solon's split this past weekend brings Mentor their three losses. The Cards appear to have some dynamite pitching, headed by Evanko.

I have only been to one high school baseball game. It was the 2004 state championship game - Mentor vs. Moeller. Some of Mentor's top football players from The Class were on the team (including Abbott and Lieb). That was a tough sports season for those guys I'm sure.

While the Plain Dealer ignored yesterday's Solon-Barberton game, the Beacon-Journal gave a box score and included some notes. The B-J indicated that Solon trailed, 4-1, before rallying for seven runs in the fifth. Solon's totals were 9-10-1; the Magics were 4-7-6.

Joe Welsch started and Johnny Moesch came on in the fourth to earn the win. According to the B-J, Papesh had two singles, Hirsch had two triples, and Musarra had a single and a double. Barberton's starting pitcher had taken a 6-0 record into the game.

Judging by the score of yesterday's Hudson-Mayfield game, the Explorers are saving their #1 pitcher for today's sectional final.

Not that I follow Mentor's baseball team that closely, but I do know that all three of their losses were to WRC. Mayfield somehow swept a double header against the Cards a few weeks back and Solon's split this past weekend brings Mentor their three losses. The Cards appear to have some dynamite pitching, headed by Evanko.

I have only been to one high school baseball game. It was the 2004 state championship game - Mentor vs. Moeller. Some of Mentor's top football players from The Class were on the team (including Abbott and Lieb). That was a tough sports season for those guys I'm sure.

Mentor's got a great baseball program. As young as the Comets are, I believe everyone associated with Solon baseball considers last week's split to be a real coup.

It does appear, however, that depth of quality conference play has shifted away from the LEL to the WRC. Euclid and Shaker aren't quite the powers that they once were, and Cleveland Heights, Maple and the others have hit the skids. Meanwhile, it's hard to find a conference with better programs than Hudson, Stow, and Mayfield. Twinsburg, Brush, and Falls can play at that level in a given year, and Solon looks to be on the verge of re-capturing its status as an elite program.