Separating public and private schools.

GIF by Leroy Patterson

Problem is the horse never dies, it just keeps on winning, certainly in footbal. Occasionally a Winton Woods breaks through.

Ha, Massillon could have had 6 or more with semi's. Even Massilln Perry should have 2, not to mention their wrestling program. I'm sure this topic will get trashed again by all the people that benefit from this disparity.

Separation just results in elimination of the guardrails (written and practical) on private schools’ athletics. Being bound by “the rules” as written in order to play in OHSAA postseason is sufficient on the matter, as is the economy of public-private school partnerships on the playing field.

Alienating private schools to the point of exclusion is not in the best interest of Ohio’s public schools with regards to sports.

Separation just results in elimination of the guardrails (written and practical) on private schools’ athletics. Being bound by “the rules” as written in order to play in OHSAA postseason is sufficient on the matter, as is the economy of public-private school partnerships on the playing field.

Alienating private schools to the point of exclusion is not in the best interest of Ohio’s public schools with regards to sports.
Good post. It also should be mentioned that while state titles can be a factor in the discussion, it should not be the considered the most important one, as 80% or more of the football-playing schools will never win one, and that's OK, it's supposed to be about more than that.

I wonder what kind of person goes onto a high school sports football forum and posts a topic that literally has been discussed for over a decade in over 100 threads that already exist on it and decides to post another one on the exact same subject without offering anything substantially new to the discussion. If you wanted to add to one of the previous 100 discussions just use the search tool and bring one of the prevoius threads back up to the top. No one will change anyones mind on the subject no matter what is written. So leave this thread to die or resurrect one of the hundreds of others.

I wonder what kind of person goes onto a high school sports football forum and posts a topic that literally has been discussed for over a decade in over 100 threads that already exist on it and decides to post another one on the exact same subject without offering anything substantially new to the discussion. If you wanted to add to one of the previous 100 discussions just use the search tool and bring one of the prevoius threads back up to the top. No one will change anyones mind on the subject no matter what is written. So leave this thread to die or resurrect one of the hundreds of others.

I believe Ohio has 5 D1 private school's. I would guess they have won an overwhelming majority of all sports state championships, against what, 600 plus schools?Anyone have figures in this debate?

There are over 600 D1s?

Ooh, ooh, if the privates dominating is an issue, how do you suggest we fix competitive balance in D5-7 football, where the overwhelming majority has been won by Kirtland, Coldwater, and Marion Local with Minster, Versailles, and New Bremen all from the MAC sprinkled in?

Should we create a MAC division and just let them and Kirtland compete against themselves so everyone else feels like they can compete? What about Carey since they just beat CW?

Dead horse…so be it.
1. What are the private boundaries? Is it a pre- determined area? What constitutes a transfer as it pertains to privates?
2. Closed enrollment schools- Move ins are not considered transfers correct? And I assume it applies to open enrollment schools as well.

A triggered Iggy poster is laughable.

Of course you see Massillon and immediately rush to the defensive, even though the intent has nothing to do with your school. Triggered? How many times do we have to see " Will Massillon ever win a state championship?" It's interminable ; so why must it, like the public vs private or "why Canton" questions be asked every single year with the same posters offering the same " arguments" ( "How about Crew?"). Isn't there anything new, or do the same people have nothing to do with their lives that the same questions have to be brought up constantly just for something to do? When has there ever been a new argument? You might say I was triggered. Well, if I am, it's because it's the same old you know what every year. Of course, it's my fault for actually reading them; I should just ignore those posts.

Of course you see Massillon and immediately rush to the defensive, even though the intent has nothing to do with your school. Triggered? How many times do we have to see " Will Massillon ever win a state championship?" It's interminable ; so why must it, like the public vs private or "why Canton" questions be asked every single year with the same posters offering the same " arguments" ( "How about Crew?"). Isn't there anything new, or do the same people have nothing to do with their lives that the same questions have to be brought up constantly just for something to do? When has there ever been a new argument? You might say I was triggered. Well, if I am, it's because it's the same old you know what every year. Of course, it's my fault for actually reading them; I should just ignore those posts.
Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

Maybe this forum isn't for you anymore.

I'm not sure what's behind this comment. Could you please explain why you say this?
A situation where private schools suddenly become unbridled on their athletics opens the door for many public schools (and their student-athletes) to lose an arms race [on secondary education <-> next-level opportunities] against the privates.

No rules whatsoever for privates, since the isolation of privates from the current HS sports arena against publics means there’d be no point in following the current rules on recruiting + athletics emphasis in marketing? Can easily see a situation where privates across all strata (from the “Big 6” boys schools, to the inner-ring Catholic co-eds, even out to the rural/exurban privates) all of the sudden market themselves as being tickets to subsidized college (athletic-driven scholarships/financial aid.) Get a football game between Moeller vs Ed, as an example, or Hoban/Walsh hoops, where you have rosters complete with GPA’s/test scores that can be given to recruiters. Simplifies the recruiting process for tons of college programs, cuts out a significant hassle that currently comes with recruiting out of the summer and through the internet = invariably gets schools’ a better crowd of recruits on the academic profile with the retention to follow (big deal for plenty of colleges.)

There may be some pockets of public schools (e.g. the MAC, middle/upper-middle suburbans) that can roll with those punches… but inner-city schools, rural schools with little reputation academically/athletically and ones that generally serve less-well-to-do student populations writ large? They don’t have the resources nor wherewithal to overcome that. Not for themselves, and not for their kids.

Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner!

Maybe this forum isn't for you anymore.

I think you might be correct. Although I will say something that I'm sure you won't like. I'm actually rooting for Massillon to get that championship, so we don't have to ever see those posts, and the only hackneyed topics the bored posters will have to write about are, " Why are the games in Canton?," and " Should we separate public vs private?" So, T-I-G...

You rarely ever hear the Country Day’s or the Christian privates winning state like that. Is this simply a catholic problem or what?

I predicted this stupid topic would come up right after the "NEO is too far to drive for championships" lol

Massillon got bounced by a public Fed school so I don't know why the OP is triggered enough to recycle this trash.