Rep. Edwards suggests the government should take over the OHSAA

If the state takes over I nominate Scipio for the new leadership position. He has years and years and years and years and years and years of wisdom in regards to high school sports.

Name one issue or problem or responsibility the government at any level has ever done efficiently and solved . They will make it political and start talking about idiot issues like gender and such that I have no desire to hear or deal with.
Bigger issue at play is the conflicts of interest that would become between their current public policy agenda and administering the state athletic governing body.

With all the interest lately from the state government, some of you guys should start a petition to get 8 teams per region on the ballot next year.

It would be interesting to know OHSAA's plan once they hit their target of a year's worth of expenses saved up - which may happen after this year's playoffs. Are they reducing ticket costs? Going back to sharing more of the money with local schools who make the playoffs? Use some of the surplus to attract more officials?

nah. This is the Ohio GOP, and nothing else. Dems haven’t had an inch of power in this state for a decade-plus.
Dems have control of the biggest cities in the State from the Mayor , City Council and School Boards. we can talk about how thats going Dock if you would like.

I mean they have done such a great job funding our public schools...we should surely trust them to run the OHSAA!
How much does Columbus public schools cost per student?

On average, they increased just under 8.2% from the 2020-21 to 2021-22 school years. Columbus City Schools also holds the top spot for percent increase in expenditures, from $13,930 per pupil to $21,211, or just under 52.3%

the schools are funded with 10% increases per student on average almost every year. On average $15,000 plus for Urban Schools - $12,000 plus per Rural. Just because you throw money at something doesn't make it successful.

Check the Report Cards for the 3 C's Public School Grade Card Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus, all Failed State Standards all 3 Cities tightly controlled from Mayors Office to City Council to School Boards by Democrats. Or should i dare say Liberal Democrats

Its Trumps fault i know

Last edited:
OHSAA created this problem they have no one to blame but themselves. From mandating online ticket buying to raising ticket prices to having a two tiered system of pricing with no transparency as why . Screams entitlement by their organization true or not and in todays world you can't afford to do that.

Myself i'm on my 2nd bag of popcorn and going to the store for more beer to watch this $how play out.

OHSAA created this problem they have no one to blame but themselves. From mandating online ticket buying to raising ticket prices to having a two tiered system of pricing with no transparency as why . Screams entitlement by their organization true or not and in todays world you can't afford to do that.

Myself i'm on my 2nd bag of popcorn and going to the store for more beer to watch this $how play out.
In the state gonna take over cedar point for going cashless too?

In the state gonna take over cedar point for going cashless too?
Cedar Point is a Private entity . OHSAA serves Ohio's Public School Athletics which are serving Member Public Schools who are funded with State and Government Tax Money. They use Stadiums . Parking lots and overall Campus's which were built on Tax levies voted on by Ohio Residents to put on and stage sporting events. Cedar Point has done none of this kind and they sink or swim with their own decisions on how they handle their business.

Could careless i got no dog in the fight , but getting full and fat from the Popcorn and beer.

Cedar Point is a Private entity . OHSAA serves Ohio's Public School Athletics which are serving Member Public Schools who are funded with State and Government Tax Money. They use Stadiums . Parking lots and overall Campus's which were built on Tax levies voted on by Ohio Residents to put on and stage sporting events. Cedar Point has done none of this kind and they sink or swim with their own decisions on how they handle their business.

Could careless i got no dog in the fight , but getting full and fat from the Popcorn and beer.
You forgot to mention that the schools are voluntary members.

Dems have control of the biggest cities in the State from the Mayor , City Council and School Boards. we can talk about how thats going Dock if you would like.
As it relates to this, the Dems don’t have anything to do with it. If Jay Edwards were a Dem this idea would get killed in the cradle instantly (as it should.)

I’m not optimistic this idea he pitched will get far, anyways, since there’s basically three factions in the current Ohio House and he’s in the smallest camp of the three. There’s serious animosity in the Republican caucus toward him and some of his colleagues tracing back to the Speaker vote in early January, and I don’t think the Dems are really interested in taking this on either. He’d either need massive GOP support or strong bipartisanship for this to get real traction moving forward. With there being larger public policy items higher up on the agenda this might not come to pass anytime soon.

You forgot to mention that the schools are voluntary members.
Yes Voluntary Members who "pay" Dues . $50 Per Sport which needs to be documented as to where the money comes from if we want to get to the bare bones of it ya think.? Is it paid out of the State or Government Tax monies the " Voluntary member Schools" get or out of the Janitors pocket.? Who knows .

As it relates to this, the Dems don’t have anything to do with it. If Jay Edwards were a Dem this idea would get killed in the cradle instantly (as it should.)

I’m not optimistic this idea he pitched will get far, anyways, since there’s basically three factions in the current Ohio House and he’s in the smallest camp of the three. There’s serious animosity in the Republican caucus toward him and some of his colleagues tracing back to the Speaker vote in early January, and I don’t think the Dems are really interested in taking this on either. He’d either need massive GOP support or strong bipartisanship for this to get real traction moving forward. With there being larger public policy items higher up on the agenda this might not come to pass anytime soon.
If Edwards was smart which imo opinion most Politicians are not. He would find Dem allies in the Big 3 C's who represent single Mothers who can't afford the ticket prices and don't have the electronic devices to purchase tickets on ( real or imagined) to champion his cause of supporting and uplifting the poor , the minority communities and the Lower Middle Class . heck its no stretch its what they run on for election and reelection every 4 years anyway.
That makes it Bipartisan and creates a lot of Media. The Media loves them some good Dem news .

Teams work hard all year to get home games in the playoffs then told from the announcer to what’s allowed in the student sections to treat it like it’s a neutral site event.

There are some stupid folks in the OHSAA starting at the very top.

If Edwards was smart which imo opinion most Politicians are not. He would find Dem allies in the Big 3 C's who represent single Mothers who can't afford the ticket prices and don't have the electronic devices to purchase tickets on ( real or imagined) to champion his cause of supporting and uplifting the poor , the minority communities and the Lower Middle Class . heck its no stretch its what they run on for election and reelection every 4 years anyway.
That makes it Bipartisan and creates a lot of Media. The Media loves them some good Dem news .
If the idea, beginning to end, is just to get ticket prices controlled (and it comes with provisions like children have reduced tickets, there’s a Golden Buckeye card discount etc) I think that’s one piece of legislation that could actually get through for the reasons you mention.

I think Jay Edwards does have a sincere interest in wanting the barrier of ‘cost’ be eliminated (along with speaker Stephens, since they both represent areas of high poverty) but this idea of “let’s replace the OHSAA” is something he probably did not think through. My politics are pretty well-known, but to clarify my original comment from earlier it wasn’t intended to be an attack on those who vote Republican — it’s just a criticism of the general governing apparatus that currently holds the trifecta (and its current state of affairs.) Some things they do well, but I really do not see a caucus that has any ability to form a replacement body to the OHSAA. Feel free to ask why!