Possible High Schools for 8th Grade OAC JH State Placers

The lower and middle weights at both OAC Grade School and Junior High State, seem to produce the most successful high school wrestlers in the future. Let me rephrase that. They seem to produce the most success from Grade School / Junior High State results, that translates directly into High School. Like another poster mentioned in here, it seems to be that more kids are lumped together in those weights, making them ultra competitive. If you ever get a chance to look at old Grade School and Junior High brackets from the past, you will see A LOT of very successful high school wrestlers, that were getting beat in those brackets. A LOT of future high school nationally ranked, state champs and state placers either not placing, or they were placing in the 5-8 range in those brackets. Obviously, you have kids that were winning then and continued into high school. On the flip side, in the higher weights, you will notice A LOT of guys that placed high or low that you have never heard of again in high school. Go look at the past Jr High Champs at the two highest weights. Some still went on the great success, but many of them, did not.

As for Feister, he is a freak athlete. If you are wondering if he is a Chris Phillips type of talent, he is not even close to that. He is a really good wrestler, but not an elite wrestler. He is an elite athlete that wrestlers, if that makes sense. If you put him at 215 this year D1, he is likely a low placer at best. That is not to discredit him, that is to put him in perspective for guys who have not seen him wrestle. Alex Taylor pinned him at National Middle School Duals last season, if you want to reference him to another young guy in that 215 field this year.
2005 78lbs. 19X High School State Champs, 22X Finalists
8th place-Johnni DiJulius 3X (4X finalist, lost to Ty Mitch in OT FR year)
7th- Ty Mitch 3X (8th FR year)
6th-Erik McLaughlin
5th-Cam Tesssari 4X
4th-Connor Dempsey
3rd-Gus Sako 2X(3X Finalist, Sat behind Clark FR year, lost in OT JR year)
2nd-Hunter Stieber 4X
1st-Jamie Clark 3X(4X Finalist, lost in OT FR year)

Ridiculous bracket!!! First girl to win a match at state(Paige Nemec) was in this bracket also(losing to Clark 1st Rd.)

6th-Erik McLaughlin
5th-Cam Tesssari 4X
4th-Connor Dempsey
2nd-Hunter Stieber 4X

Ridiculous bracket!!! First girl to win a match at state(Paige Nemec) was in this bracket also(losing to Clark 1st Rd.)

Wow. Insane. I don't think Jr high and gs oac has anything comparable in any weight class. The depth isn't what it was

6th-Erik McLaughlin
5th-Cam Tesssari 4X
4th-Connor Dempsey
2nd-Hunter Stieber 4X

Yeah that is insane. I have another one that doesn't necessarily have the top of the top names like that bracket does, but this one is probably equally impressive in its own right, as 5/6 placers were all state champs, and all 6 were state finalists in high school.

1999 84lb Bracket - 10 total state titles, 14 finals appearances

1st - Ryan Smith, Olmstead Falls, 2x SC, 3x Finalist
2nd - Mike Compton, Willard, 2x SC
3rd - Ricky Duebel, Kenston, 2x SC, 3x Finalist
4th - Tanner Shearer, SMCC, 3x SC, State Record for Career TD, 2nd Most Career TD in USA History behind Stephen Abas (3x NCAA Champ)
5th - Andrew Perez, Elyria, 2x Finalist
6th - Bryan Mathews, Garfield Heights, 1x SC

Says every cheater.....
Not looking to hijack the thread, but how is doing something that is specifically outlined in the rules "cheating"? I mean, they use numbers and stuff to tell you exactly what is allowable and what is not. Again, I absolutely understand the people that are against it and argument that it violates the spirit of fair play, but you have to find something to call it other than "cheating"? It makes you sound ignorant. They're not even bending the rules, they're following the letter of the law. Maybe "gaming the system" or "using a loophole"? Perhaps you should look into what it would take to change the rule?

Not looking to hijack the thread, but how is doing something that is specifically outlined in the rules "cheating"? I mean, they use numbers and stuff to tell you exactly what is allowable and what is not. Again, I absolutely understand the people that are against it and argument that it violates the spirit of fair play, but you have to find something to call it other than "cheating"? It makes you sound ignorant. They're not even bending the rules, they're following the letter of the law. Maybe "gaming the system" or "using a loophole"? Perhaps you should look into what it would take to change the rule?
They just changed the rules a few years ago, it use to be u couldn’t be 19 before sept 1 of senior year, then people whined saying not fair some 19 year olds get to participate and some didn’t so they changed it to up until the day u turn 20.

Yeah that is insane. I have another one that doesn't necessarily have the top of the top names like that bracket does, but this one is probably equally impressive in its own right, as 5/6 placers were all state champs, and all 6 were state finalists in high school.

1999 84lb Bracket - 10 total state titles, 14 finals appearances

1st - Ryan Smith, Olmstead Falls, 2x SC, 3x Finalist
2nd - Mike Compton, Willard, 2x SC
3rd - Ricky Duebel, Kenston, 2x SC, 3x Finalist
4th - Tanner Shearer, SMCC, 3x SC, State Record for Career TD, 2nd Most Career TD in USA History behind Stephen Abas (3x NCAA Champ)
5th - Andrew Perez, Elyria, 2x Finalist
6th - Bryan Mathews, Garfield Heights, 1x SC
Yeah that was a brutal one too. After I posted I actually found a link to OAC legends. Has articles on individuals and brackets. 1999 84lb was one of them. Good read. Insane how David Taylor, Logan Stieber, Tony Tortorici, and Chris Phillips steamrolled 3 state brackets. Phillips at some higher wts, the other 3 some brutal brackets filled with some big names. Here is the link. https://www.ohioathletics.com/oaclegends/

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but your "repeating is cheating" statement, while catchy, just isn't true. Cheating is knowingly breaking the rules. You can argue that hold backs violate the spirit of the rules or the natural laws of competition or even that its unfair and wrong. You can say it's in poor taste and it sends the wrong message to the student athlete. But it's definitely not cheating. It's well within the rules.
Personally hate the idea of holding someone back. Especially for sports. If there’s a learning disability, that is different. But if you’re willingly holding back kids because of a sport, I tend to air on the side that thinks it’s in poor taste. Wrestling is a sport where you go take what’s yours with no excúses. Holding someone back for a better chance a state title teaches kids to take the easy way out and there’s no guarantee they win the state title.

Personally hate the idea of holding someone back. Especially for sports. If there’s a learning disability, that is different. But if you’re willingly holding back kids because of a sport, I tend to air on the side that thinks it’s in poor taste. Wrestling is a sport where you go take what’s yours with no excúses. Holding someone back for a better chance a state title teaches kids to take the easy way out and there’s no guarantee they win the state title.
😄

I dont know if it's a state rule or not. But I can tell you for a fact many schools use Aug 1st.

My experience in it is this. My oldest son (now a very young freshman) has a Sept 08 birthday. When he was 4 our school at the time tested every kid who's birthday was in Sept and told you if they thought he should go to school or wait a year. They tested him and told us he should head to kindergarten. In hindsight I would have definitely waited. Not really due to wrestling, just because his eyes changed so much he struggled learning to read at first and now doesn't like reading. He's a straight A student and a much better kid than he is a wrestler.

Fast forward 2 years. I have twins with a Aug '10 birthday. School policy changed and Aug 1st is the date. No more testing, after Aug 1st, they wait until next year to start. I dont know the situation here, and frankly it's irrelevant.

My only gripe with the whole Feister, and similar situations is that he was able to wrestle oac D4 in 2019, 2020 (canceled due to covid), and 2021. I think he should have had to count 2021 as his 7th grade year regardless. 2022 as an 8th grader. And sit 2023 if he didn't want to go to high school similar to the numerous other oac champs who sat a year.

Whereas my oldest got one year in d4 (2020 which was canceled) because i didn't think holding him back was appropriate for our situation.

I hope all of them continue to wrestle and succeed at the highest levels. Ohio could sure use some more nationally ranked kids and potential all Americans.
I think it used to be a rule that you could only wrestle OAC Jr high twice. But I don't know if it was really ever policed. Or maybe it was that you could only wrestle 1 time per grade. So if you wrestled it in 6th grade, then 7th grade, and repeated 7th grade, you couldn't wrestle 2 more times. If you have a boy, start them in Kindergarten late. Boys mature emotionally slower than girls, it's the best thing you can do for a boy.

It
I think it used to be a rule that you could only wrestle OAC Jr high twice. But I don't know if it was really ever policed. Or maybe it was that you could only wrestle 1 time per grade. So if you wrestled it in 6th grade, then 7th grade, and repeated 7th grade, you couldn't wrestle 2 more times. If you have a boy, start them in Kindergarten late. Boys mature emotionally slower than girls, it's the best thing you can do for a boy.

it’s always been 3x once per grade, so if repeating u wouldn’t want to do it on the year you are repeating u would want to do it the second time in the grade. Plus they also have the age restriction in place, two top kids this year didn’t compete so to age restrictions, u can’t be 15 before Aug1

It

it’s always been 3x once per grade, so if repeating u wouldn’t want to do it on the year you are repeating u would want to do it the second time in the grade. Plus they also have the age restriction in place, two top kids this year didn’t compete so to age restrictions, u can’t be 15 before Aug1
Who are the top 2 kids that didn’t compete

You don't think he's beating Shulaw right out the gate? Well GrizzelDad, I respectfully disagree!

Son, I'm old enough to remember when they said the same thing about a lanky kid from Thompson High in Spokane Washington who cut down to 167 to face the previously unbeaten state champ. Nobody gave him a chance until one day when in the middle practice he stopped drilling and climbed the pegboard. That man was Louden Swaine!

You might say it was a visionquest, but all he ever settled for is that we're born to live... and to die... and we've each gotta do it alone... He also went to bed with a 27 year old hitchhiker that same year, but that's a different story.

I've also heard that he allegedly had difficulty holding his mud. More so as he got older.
Seems like I remember this story! We just added a peg board in our room! Too many coaches are neglecting the peg board and focusing on technique to their own detriment!!!!

You'd be surprised of the number of incoming top freshman also took growth hormone / testosterone before ninth grade, thats true cheating and true advantage. I personally know of 3-4 top incoming freshman over the years who were on GH. Puberty also can start when you're 13 or 16, do we make 13 year olds who start puberty early ineligible? They have an advantage. I can see the problem if a kid turns 20 his senior year, but people complaining about 6-7 months? Thats ridiculous. As someone mentioned the rules are outlined by the OHSAA, and most of the people crying about it have children who never would have been age group champions anyway, or had elite success in the sport. When you cry about a kid 6-8 months older than your own who has won or placed high in national age group competitions while your son is no where near that level, you just look stupid.

Since everyone just continually brings up age and grade just label the kids Age as of State Tournament

F14
F15
F16
S15
S16
S17
J16
J17
J18
S17
S18
S19

by the way this is a jk
Coach,

That's why they all should be doing freestyle so we know their age, right?

Seems like I remember this story! We just added a peg board in our room! Too many coaches are neglecting the peg board and focusing on technique to their own detriment!!!!
...and too many coaches today are neglecting to wear a singlet over a collared shirt to practice.

Attachments

• 1691422805964.png
    1691422805964.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 32