#PACtion™ 2024

There are just some things that can't even be imagined and then you see this:

Oh yeah?

GIFc6oeWcAAKNeg.jpeg

2000 PACtion™ Game of the Year (Game of the Century?)

This is the second in a series of PAC GOTY posts - 25 in all - to lead us up to the start of the 2024 season. For a look back at last week's post, where Manchester toppled undefeated Tuslaw in Week 8 of 1999, please click here.

OK ... Game of the Century might be a bit of hyperbole, but given that the year 2000 was the last year of the 20th century ... why not? For the second straight year, it came down to Tuslaw vs. Manchester in Week 8. The conference began play in 1989, and coming into Week 8 of the 2000 season, the Panthers were 67-2 in league games. The only blemishes: a 1993 road loss to Indian Valley and a 1995 loss on the road in Week 10 at Coventry. Losing at home? That just didn't happen. Not in conference games.

But Tuslaw had other ideas. They remembered getting punched in the mouth a year earlier. Coming into the game on Friday, October 13th - yes - Friday the 13th - they had yet to lose. And they had 18 starters back. Coming off back-to-back shutouts of Sandy Valley and Tusky Valley this was the year!

Except of course, it wasn't. Manchester had also recorded back-to-back shutouts of Fairless and Tuskey Valley. And at home? Somehow, someway, the Panthers always find a way. On this night, behind their suffocating defense and a well-timed fourth quarter burst out of the backfield, Manchester continued it's reign over the PAC.

Here is the Akron Beacon Journal story that recounted the events of the evening. Both teams finished 9-1 in the regular season, but it was the Panthers who again reigned supreme and won their 11th PAC title in the first 12 years of the conference.

Were you there? Let us know what you remember about the Game of the Year (Century?) from Y2K.

View attachment 55495
Of course I was at this game! Really appreciate @Cuse for producing these each week, it will be interesting to see what you come up with going forward.

Back to this game, it was a slobberknocker for sure. This past Fall, I put together my top 10 games at the old stadium, this one came in at #7, here's what I wrote then.

7. Oct 13, 2000 vs. Tuslaw – Believe it or not, the Mustangs were a handful in those days. These two schools had some physical battles in those days, this was one of them, Manchester pulling out an 18-13 victory. I believe the 2000 Panthers were the second best team in school history (behind 1997), they lost in the playoffs to eventual state champ Ursuline by 2 TDs (Ursuline’s closest playoff game). Ursuline had nine Division 1 NCAA recruits that year.

Since PACtion™ transcends all things, it's time to recognize the 14 PAC wrestlers that will be participating in this weekend's state wrestling championships. Here's the breakdown:

Tuslaw - 3 guys
Canton South - 2 guys, 1 gal
Manchester - 2 guys, 1 gal
Northwest - 1 guy, 1 gal
CVCA - 1 guy
Fairless - 1 guy
Orrville - 1 guy

Congratulations and best of luck to these athletes!

Thanks, I was having a nice Thursday prior to this. Appreciate the recap and trip down memory lane though in all seriousness. As I stated in my post last week, 2000 was going to be the year. You don't get many chances to bring back 18 starters from a 9-1 team. This was the pinnacle of the greatest 4 year stretch in program history. Arguably the best team in program history. Everything had been building to this game. In terms of disappointing regular season losses, this is in the top 3 for sure and likely takes the top spot given the stakes and Manchester's dominance at that time.
1981 Mustangs were 9-1 and beat Lake and Northwest.

Here is an interesting article about college football....I have said the power 5 conferences will become the G league and the MAC type schools will be the NCAA version....

College football is boring. It's been a long, slow arrival to that point.

The genesis of the boredom was hatched in the backseat of Chris Fowler's Prius when ESPN and the SEC decided to get it on. The Big Ten, not wanting to be outdone, jumped in the back of Joel Klatt's Tesla with Fox Sports as Gus Johnson watched.

What is interesting or compelling about college football these days? Even the ACC and Big 12 are going to be left out of this new version of college football. What's the interesting storyline of today's college football? What makes me want to drop everything and tune in these days? How many bubble screens can a man watch? How can anyone care about the SEC if you aren't from Mudflap, Mississippi? How is UCLA vs Purdue remotely interesting if it's not a basketball game?

I believe MAC schools should have dropped down to I-AA or whatever they call it years ago. I also have family that played Division 2 NCAA college football and, bluntly, if you like empty stadiums and mediocre academics, Division 2 is for you!

Everything went to shizz when that piece of human garbage Donald Fehr poured gasoline all over the MLB players strike in 1994 and I believe it's been a long, slow decline of "big sports" ever since.

You can argue at me with "bigger revenue" but, to quote Bill Belichick, I can only go by what I see. And what I see is an increasingly boring product in all of the major sports whether it's college or professional. "Bigger revenue" driven by Wall Street & corporate America has not made sports or our nation better.

Last edited:

The genesis of the boredom was hatched in the backseat of Chris Fowler's Prius when ESPN and the SEC decided to get it on. The Big Ten, not wanting to be outdone, jumped in the back of Joel Klatt's Tesla with Fox Sports as Gus Johnson watched.

What is interesting or compelling about college football these days? Even the ACC and Big 12 are going to be left out of this new version of college football. What's the interesting storyline of today's college football? What makes me want to drop everything and tune in these days? How many bubble screens can a man watch? How can anyone care about the SEC if you aren't from Mudflap, Mississippi? How is UCLA vs Purdue remotely interesting if it's not a basketball game?

I believe MAC schools should have dropped down to I-AA or whatever they call it years ago. I also have family that played Division 2 NCAA college football and, bluntly, if you like empty stadiums and mediocre academics, Division 2 is for you!

Everything went to shizz when that piece of human garbage Donald Fehr poured gasoline all over the MLB players strike in 1994 and I believe it's been a long, slow decline of "big sports" ever since.

You can argue at me with "bigger revenue" but, to quote Bill Belichick, I can only go by what I see. And what I see is an increasingly boring product in all of the major sports whether it's college or professional. "Bigger revenue" driven by Wall Street & corporate America has not made sports or our nation better.
I feel like college football is only good if it's a game between two ranked teams or games between top teams in the conference. But for the most part, the NFL will always be better than CFB despite what some people say.

I feel like college football is only good if it's a game between two ranked teams or games between top teams in the conference. But for the most part, the NFL will always be better than CFB despite what some people say.
I much prefer College Football....the Pro's are good....I just like the idea a player who will not be drafted can influence the out come of the game. I am not a fan of the changes we are seeing....but there is so much money involved and gambling it is make changes whether anybody likes it. The new game rule changes are making the game just like the pro's...speed the game up and use the extra time for more commercials....that is why I don't attend college games anymore...I just enjoyed seating thru a commercial in 85 degree heat and the sun blasting you.

I agree with you totally....if it keeps moving toward the pro model....my Saturdays will become free just like my Sundays. The player strike of 1994 and how it was resolved cost the Indians a great opportunity to win the World Series....then when the Browns moved and then hijacked the area to build a stadium to come back....I gave up watching the NFL...now with LIV and the PGA...they are making it difficult to watch golf. Speaking of golf...the clubs were brought out of their winter home, cleaned, and put in the back of the vehicle! We are ready...and my 2024 version of my golf swing will hopefully not be as bad as the 2023....lol

1981 Mustangs were 9-1 and beat Lake and Northwest.
Lake beat Northwest that year 7 to 6...scored on a 48 yard pass with 2 seconds left...rushed a sophomore kicker out who had never kicked in a game and he made the extra point. Lake then beat Sandy Valley 7 to 3, beat Claymont 36 to 0, beat Minerva 27 to 6, beat Carrollton 13 to 8. That set up a week 10 game with Tuslaw at Lake for the league title(check the date of week 10, Nov 6, 1981)...Tuslaw beat Lake 16 to 14....can't remember if that loss gave Tuslaw the outright league title...I think it did...Lake ended 8-2 that year.

Lake beat Northwest that year 7 to 6...scored on a 48 yard pass with 2 seconds left...rushed a sophomore kicker out who had never kicked in a game and he made the extra point. Lake then beat Sandy Valley 7 to 3, beat Claymont 36 to 0, beat Minerva 27 to 6, beat Carrollton 13 to 8. That set up a week 10 game with Tuslaw at Lake for the league title(check the date of week 10, Nov 6, 1981)...Tuslaw beat Lake 16 to 14....can't remember if that loss gave Tuslaw the outright league title...I think it did...Lake ended 8-2 that year.
Tuslaw was 1981 Senate League outright champs due to edging Lake and beating Northwest.

The coach was Jim Reichenbach who had prior head coaching experience at Glen Wood.

Just as Broc Dial has the previous head coaching experience at Dalton and now is taking over Tuslaw.

It's a real battle with people to change their mindset and have higher expectations with hiring decisions. The expectation at Tuslaw for far too long was to hire inexperienced assistant coaches as head coach because that's all people know.

Last edited:
Tuslaw was 1981 Senate League outright champs due to edging Lake and beating Northwest.

The coach was Jim Reichenbach who had prior head coaching experience at Glen Wood.

Just as Broc Dial has the previous head coaching experience at Dalton and now is taking over Tuslaw.

It's a real battle with people to change their mindset and have higher expectations with hiring decisions. The expectation at Tuslaw for far too long was to hire inexperienced assistant coaches as head coach because that's all people know.
Dial is walking into actually a great situation...he knows the school and area, no expectations on getting to the state final, his assistants can follow..my understanding is most of his assistants do not work in the Dalton School System...maybe some players follow...but there will be an issue of having to sit out the second half of the season if they played at Dalton this year...all Dial has to do is win games and have them show improvement.

30 Rock Yes GIF by ADWEEK

Rich that is perfect. Every year I watch less and less Pro and Big Time college football. I find myself watching D3 more. The level of ball is not bad (at the better D3 schools) and there is no shenanigans like excessive roster changes ( there's some) and NIL buying players.

Last edited:
It's Friday and What Have We Learned This Week

Back To The Future GIF

I have returned the DeLorean, after having spent the afternoon completing research on the Game of the Year project. All 25 games picked out. I don't want to rush the spring and summer away. But it's been a lot of fun, and I can't wait to share this new feature each week. Look for posts on Thursdays!

Season 1 Episode 3 GIF by BET Plus

I'm not into callinafying people out (OK .., maybe this one time - but all in good fun), but the research project may have uncoverified the originification of Smoovelish as a new language within the past three years or so. Either that, or Mr Smoove had not yet found his mooves in posts that are carbon datified prior to 2020. #thethingsthatsurpriseyou.

Threes Company Lol GIF by TV Land Classic

You look for a GIF on "Elite Company," and instead you get Mr. Furley. How can you not use it? Sorry Poochie, the intention was to say that the soon-to-be Sacred Heart Pioneer had his name linked with Ben Roethlisberger, Ted Ginn Jr. and Mitch Trubisky when he was named winner of the Art Teynor Award, which is the coaches' version of the top player in Ohio based on athletic, academic and character components. Congrats Poochie!

images

Larry Csonka is tuff. Nuff said.

Don Criqui got a callout. Here he is doing the Browns-Pats in 2013, which apparently was the 47th straight season he had called an NFL game. Somehow, he doesn't look a day over 47 in this intro. Even at 83, I'd love to listen to him call NFL games again.

Water Bottle Sticker GIF by MAU Workforce Solutions

Water breaks are not why Sports are fun. I believe we are all clear here on this point. But extra points to @Raylan_Givens for working "lamentations" into the dialogue this week.

phone call vintage GIF by US National Archives
Paul Rudd Omg GIF by Mike Hitt

It seems like longer than three days ago, but Tuslaw finally "dialed" up Broc, and the Mustangs have a new, elite coach. It's been a tough journey, but it's about to get real tuff. Which is a good thing for our Tuslaw contingent.

images

The Winningest Coach in Fairless Football History is also now The Dean of PAC Coaches. What a difference a few years makes. Sarbaugh (35 wins and counting) coached against Koach (401 wins total, 398 at Manchester). There's been a lot of turnover in the league!

1709939881021.jpeg

Canton Central Catholic paid a visit to PACtion™ this week. If they ever did join, the Crusaders would jump to the top of the prettiest school campus rankings.

images

There is no truth to the rumor that @thePITman will be teaching a class on The Art of Baseball Scoring. At least I think there is no truth to that rumor. Perhaps we should wait for him to confirm, however. ;)

weekend at bernies GIF

And somehow, a real-life Weekend at Bernie's reference made its way into PACtion™. And nobody blinked an eye. What a place we have here, friends. (For the record, what were those women thinking?!?).

Check another one off the calendar. We're one week closer to August. Have a good weekend, everybody!

Last edited:
It's Friday and What Have We Learned This Week

images

There is no truth to the rumor that @thePITman will be teaching a class on The Art of Baseball Scoring. At least I think there is no truth to that rumor. Perhaps we should wait for him to confirm, however. ;)
Haha, that's funny! Fun fact: The wife and I have kept book for every state Final Four game since 2009.
Speaking of, who can find what is wrong here?

Last edited:
30 Rock Yes GIF by ADWEEK

Rich that is perfect. Every year I watch less and less Pro and Big Time college football. I find myself watching D3 more. The level of ball is not bad (at the better D3 schools) and there is no shenanigans like excessive roster changes ( there's some) and NIL buying players.
The Bengals are the last NFL interest I have. Even then, I won't watch some of the things I find ridiculous like Sunday night 8:30 pm kickoff games when you start the work week Monday morning. It's ridiculous with the games often ending near midnight.

I will not watch any game on ESPN and I won't watch any game with Joe Buck / Aikman as the announcers.

I don't and won't watch the SEC; I would rather watch Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt and that was the dummest TV show I ever watched.

I can not stand Gus Johnson and his schtick. It's tiresome and Joel Klatt is a know it all.

I can't watch any game on ABC and Chris Fowler. That might as well be Chris Christie in the booth shoving pepperoni rolls in his face.

The Bengals are the last NFL interest I have. Even then, I won't watch some of the things I find ridiculous like Sunday night 8:30 pm kickoff games when you start the work week Monday morning. It's ridiculous with the games often ending near midnight.

I will not watch any game on ESPN and I won't watch any game with Joe Buck / Aikman as the announcers.

I don't and won't watch the SEC; I would rather watch Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt and that was the dummest TV show I ever watched.

I can not stand Gus Johnson and his schtick. It's tiresome and Joel Klatt is a know it all.

I can't watch any game on ABC and Chris Fowler. That might as well be Chris Christie in the booth shoving pepperoni rolls in his face.
Substitute Bengals with Steelers and I'm similar. I used to watch the Thursday college game, go to a HS game Friday, watch college all day Saturday (hoping Pitt would be on), the Steelers (usually 1pm) and the other game game ( usually 4pm) on Sunday, then MNF.

Now I watch a HS Friday night game, Pitt if they are being competitive on Saturday, I'll stream a top D3 game, and watch the Steelers on Sunday. I never watch TNF, SNF, or MNF unless it's the Steelers and generally just the first half. Like you I work the next day and not looking to stay up that late. I was initially excited about more games to watch, but it changed. If I watch more regular season football than that, it's because I have nothing else to do/watch. I'll still watch the playoffs but my interest in that is dwindling.

I hate to say it, but the game has changed to a product I do not recognize. As you saw I was a hard-core football fan. They changed the game to caterer to Fantasy Football fans and gamblers. They do not care about hard-core football fans. The rules now make it so that defenses can't even play defense (and I'm not talking about targeting) and I hate instant replay with a passion. I would rather see a wrong call then a 20 minute interruption for a call that is "correct".

Going back to TNF, SNF, MNF the NFL is just cashing in. The quality of play suffers from all these games plus the NFL is just overexposed. Too much of a good thing is bad imo in this case.

As for other sports I was never a NBA/basketball or NHL/hockey fan so I don't care what happens there. I did like MLB/baseball but you know what is wrong there.

It's why I have become such a big fan of wrestling in the past 7/8 years. It was a sport I did growing up, but I never followed it much, just enough to know who won PA states and NCAAs. Now I follow it closely. I am a 90s kid but I heard a coach say (hope i dont butcher it so it makes sense) " if there is an attitude today similar to the 70s, it will be found in the wrestling room." I can appreciate that and I enjoy that.

I hate to say it, but the game has changed to a product I do not recognize. As you saw I was a hard-core football fan. They changed the game to caterer to Fantasy Football fans and gamblers. They do not care about hard-core football fans. The rules now make it so that defenses can't even play defense (and I'm not talking about targeting) and I hate instant replay with a passion. I would rather see a wrong call then a 20 minute interruption for a call that is "correct".
This is also my view. I'd add they want female fans so they've tried to make the sport like a video game with even sad quarterbacks throwing for 300 yards a game.

These football broadcasters, too, are just insufferable to me.

they've tried to make the sport like a video game with even sad quarterbacks throwing for 300 yards a game.
If they were truly slinging it down field with deep balls that would be one thing. But when Cousins, Carr, Prudyetc are putting up Marino type numbers weekly when Kelly/Montana/Farve put maybe 4 games a year like that, you know they screwed with the game.

Runner on 2nd never reached 3rd base, ball was still live, could have been tagged out to negate the run.
Wow Isosceles! I looked at that replay for 15 minutes....all I picked up was the umpire kept standing at home plate....and watched the celebration. I kept wondering why it took so long for him to walk off the diamond.

I somewhat agree with you...but I will watch the games they have on Saturday. If it is nice out I will catch the games in the evening. I still watch all the Ohio State games....I just turn the tv commentators down and listen to Paul Keels.

If Fawcett was still around I would go there for a Saturday night game....I won't go to Benson.

TV in general has went to crap....I watch Diner's, Drive-ins, and Dives, Swamp People (just because some of them there gators are huge and to catch them like that those people are crazee...lol), used to be a big watcher of Motor Trend...but they have went stupid, I watch a lot of AHC with World War 2 in color, and college football. I am not as dedicated...used to watch a lot of bowl games...but that has went stupid...especially this year's Fla St vs Georgia game....no pro sports.

If they were truly slinging it down field with deep balls that would be one thing. But when Cousins, Carr, Prudyetc are putting up Marino type numbers weekly when Kelly/Montana/Farve put maybe 4 games a year like that, you know they screwed with the game.
It couldn't be that the level of QB play has reached a new level with the advent of full season training regiments, high level offensive schemes, and copious amounts of tape review could it? Nah, no way. The game peaked in 1984 for sure

You have just been spoiled by the talents of Bill Caples and Ray Jeski calling Friday night masterpieces while you sip whiskey and contemplate switching to Aqua Ohio.

TV in general has went to crap....I watch Diner's, Drive-ins, and Dives, Swamp People (just because some of them there gators are huge and to catch them like that those people are crazee...lol), used to be a big watcher of Motor Trend...but they have went stupid, I watch a lot of AHC with World War 2 in color, and college football. I am not as dedicated...used to watch a lot of bowl games...but that has went stupid...especially this year's Fla St vs Georgia game....no pro sports.
Wow that sounds boring! Are you sure you are not 80 years old and live with two women in Ashtabula?

No am not 80...lol...I like Diner's, Drive-ins, and Dive's...you get to see interesting parts of this great country you would normally not....now concerning those industrious women in Ashtabula...well I was warned early on to stir clear of your sisters.....that's a fact!...lol
I don't have any sisters. I do have a brother. Do with him what you like. I don't judge:cool: