OHIO STATE BUCKEYES PROJECTED LINE-UP 2023-24

Just a friendly reminder, because I feel like this happens every year, that the wrestle-offs are not the end all be all for determining the starting lineup, much like they are in High School. A lot of factors go in to who goes where and at what event. Don't be surprised if Kilkeary gets a nod at 125 instead of Fenton or something else along those lines.

Might see Gavin brown bump to 57 till sasso comes back and paddy move up
What I’m about to say is completely hearsay. Unfortunately, due to the seriousness of the internal damages Sammy sustained, his competition career is over but might stay on board as a coach. But he’s as tough as they come so I pray to see him prove this wrong. Also, sounds like we will be solid at 165 with either wrestler going forward, Chase and/or Wilcox. Both guys are much improved from a year ago. Chase had a devastating injury in his first match last year but took that off time and spent it wisely. Wilcox is a beast and has been learning technique. Can’t wait till Thursday to see what we do have.

125 Brendan McCrone (R-So./Scarlet) def. Peyton Fenton (Fr./Gray) | D, 3-0 3 0
133 No. 9 Nic Bouzakis (R-Fr./Gray) def. Andre Gonzales (R-So./Scarlet) | D, 7-6 3 3
141 No. 8 Jesse Mendez (So./Scarlet) def. Brandon Cannon (Fr./Gray) | D, 5-2 6 3
149 No. 6 Dylan D'Emilio (R-Sr./Gray) def. Gavin Brown (R-Fr./Scarlet) MD, 11-2 6 7
157 No. 16 Paddy Gallagher (R-So./Scarlet) def. TJ Schierl (Fr./Gray) | TF, 15-0 11 7
165 Isaac Wilcox (Sr./Scarlet) def. Carter Chase (R-Fr./Gray) | SV, 6-1 14 7
184 No. 22 Seth Shumate (R-Fr./Scarlet) vs. Ryder Rogotzke (Fr./Gray) | D, 13-8 17 7
197 Luke Geog (R-Fr./Gray) def. Mike Misita (R-So./Scarlet) | MD, 19-5 17 11
HWT No. 20 Nick Feldman (R-Fr./Gray) def. Hogan Swenski (R-So./Scarlet) | TF, 20-4 17 16

Last edited:
I was so confused. I think they had the names flipped on the broadcast for 133 and 149. I was teaching a Jiu-Jitsu class and trying to multi task lol.

So, is Hoffman going to go 184 or what? If he can make it and be healthy while doing it, that would be a good thing for tOSU. Hoffman at 184 and Geog at 197 could have 2 AA as a best case scenario situation.

125 Brendan McCrone (R-So./Scarlet) def. Peyton Fenton (Fr./Gray) | D, 3-0 3 0
133 No. 9 Nic Bouzakis (R-Fr./Gray) def. Andre Gonzales (R-So./Scarlet) | D, 7-6 3 3
141 No. 8 Jesse Mendez (So./Scarlet) def. Brandon Cannon (Fr./Gray) | D, 5-2 6 3
149 No. 6 Dylan D'Emilio (R-Sr./Gray) def. Gavin Brown (R-Fr./Scarlet) MD, 11-2 6 7
157 No. 16 Paddy Gallagher (R-So./Scarlet) def. TJ Schierl (Fr./Gray) | TF, 15-0 11 7
165 Isaac Wilcox (Sr./Scarlet) def. Carter Chase (R-Fr./Gray) | SV, 6-1 14 7
184 No. 22 Seth Shumate (R-Fr./Scarlet) vs. Ryder Rogotzke (Fr./Gray) | D, 13-8 17 7
197 Luke Geog (R-Fr./Gray) def. Mike Misita (R-So./Scarlet) | MD, 19-5 17 11
HWT No. 20 Nick Feldman (R-Fr./Gray) def. Hogan Swenski (R-So./Scarlet) | TF, 20-4 17 16

Some thoughts from watching the wrestle offs:

1. The #1 Class in my opinion, went 2-2 in terms of living up to the hype. I can't tell if Bouzakis and Mendez are that close to their wrestle off opponents, or if it's just because they practice with them everyday. Shumate was impressive in being able to score. Rogotzke is gonna be great in years to come. Feldman is as advertised. A big man who moves so well that he can score on just about anyone. Interested to see how he does against the top 5 HWT's.

2. Gallagher being able to score like that was great to see. Left no questions on the mat. Hoping to see that transition for him to a place on the podium in March, after almost getting there last year.

3. Geog is a DUDE. First off, it's crazy what a college weight room and nutrition program can do for someone, but man was he fun to watch. Misita on the other hand looked like a heavyweight who dropped a ton of weight to get down because he knew he couldn't beat Feldman.

4. Dylan D'Emilio looked great. Scoring when he wanted to practically. I don't understand the point that people make about Ryan not developing guys when theres someone like D'Emilio. Him vs Henson in the Va Tech match is gonna be electric, and early in the season that we're going to learn a lot.

5. Speaking of the Va-Tech match, that's going to be a great one as it always is. I think Va-Tech should be the favorites going in, but the question is where can Ohio-St pick up bonus points?

6. I saw the ref call stalling on top. This to me is a surprise. It wasn't the objective stalling on top of a guy not returning, or a guy holding onto the foot for more than 5 seconds. It was the classic stalling of guy not getting off the hips on top. The riding time 1:00 had passed, and to me, it was great to see someone call "normal" stalling. I hope this was a point of emphasis for refs this year, to remember classic stalling.

Bouzakis and Mendez are just fine. Gonzales and Cannon are very good wrestlers. Both with great backstories.
100% agreed.

Add in how much McCrone has developed. I think staff is doing a great job. I'll maintain that while many schools benefited from the extra covid year, it really set ohio state back as they were kind of in a transition of talent at the time

6. I saw the ref call stalling on top. This to me is a surprise. It wasn't the objective stalling on top of a guy not returning, or a guy holding onto the foot for more than 5 seconds. It was the classic stalling of guy not getting off the hips on top. The riding time 1:00 had passed, and to me, it was great to see someone call "normal" stalling. I hope this was a point of emphasis for refs this year, to remember classic stalling.
So this is actually a new rule this year, and clears up a common misconception. Before this year, there was no rule that you had to work for a turn. The rule book emphasized control and breaking opponents down, but never mentioned a turn. There was, in effect, no stalling on top (outside of the couple of specific positions, like holding onto legs without building up). Was always funny when the Iowa fans would call for stalling when their guy was down, as if that was even a thing!

This year, one of the new rule changes is you have to work for a turn, not just control. Rules committee added it in when they approved the 3-point takedown. Totally new rule for wrestlers to adapt to.