Notre Dame

Good luck to Marcus Freeman, he'll have his work cut out at ND. He's never been a head coach before, much different than anything he's ever done. Kelly seemed to have his critics, but he IMO took ND about as far as a guy can. I just think with their academic requirement, the "numbers" of elite football players for them to consider is so much less than the other powers. And think about it, if they beat Cincinnati - at home - once thought impossible, they'd be undefeated and Kelly would likely still be there.

U just wonder if they slip to an 8-9 win seasons the seat will get really hot for Freeman.

General chatter & rumors.
This whole rumor about him to the Bears started just because he coached Justin Fields and people decided to run with that. Other than that, not sure where else you could possibly be hearing any of this. Anything you look up on it is people 'thinking' he might.

This whole rumor about him to the Bears started just because he coached Justin Fields and people decided to run with that. Other than that, not sure where else you could possibly be hearing any of this. Anything you look up on it is people 'thinking' he might.
Or, Day's people put it out there so he can sign an extension with Ohio State. This is a very typical college coach move. Leverage the success of the program with another job opening. I'd be surprised if Day would ever be interested in an NFL job. Why would you leave Ohio State? You've got great recruiting classes, you're likely going to be favored in all your games every year. The big ten isn't very good so you're 10+ wins a year no matter what kind of team you have.

He’s going to eventually bolt for the NFL. He’s not a college lifer.

Or, Day's people put it out there so he can sign an extension with Ohio State. This is a very typical college coach move. Leverage the success of the program with another job opening. I'd be surprised if Day would ever be interested in an NFL job. Why would you leave Ohio State? You've got great recruiting classes, you're likely going to be favored in all your games every year. The big ten isn't very good so you're 10+ wins a year no matter what kind of team you have.
Coaches want to challenge themselves at the highest level.

Personally, I don't think it's a job I could leave, but I can see how, after awhile, others might want to challenge themselves in different ways.

He’s going to eventually bolt for the NFL. He’s not a college lifer.
Why? And how do you know? What makes someone a 'college lifer'?

I predict that if Day jumps to the NFL, he'll be scouring the college ranks for an OC job or the NFL for a QB coach job a few years after getting hired.

Why? And how do you know? What makes someone a 'college lifer'?

I predict that if Day jumps to the NFL, he'll be scouring the college ranks for an OC job or the NFL for a QB coach job a few years after getting hired.
Such is the case for the vast majority of college coaches in the NFL. Keep in mind, Day was a QB coach in the NFL for 2 seasons, so he’s not totally unaware of what it takes to coach in the League.

It is pretty funny of all the College to NFL coaches, Kingsbury who was fired at TT, is the one having the most success.

Such is the case for the vast majority of college coaches in the NFL. Keep in mind, Day was a QB coach in the NFL for 2 seasons, so he’s not totally unaware of what it takes to coach in the League.

It is pretty funny of all the College to NFL coaches, Kingsbury who was fired at TT, is the one having the most success.
This is why Day belongs in the NFL. He does not want to motivate. He does not want to have to worry about all of the little things. He wants to have a QB who can wing it with some talented WR's. Day is made for the modern NFL game and he better strike the iron while it is hot and before his stardom dulls.

I got to wondering if Freeman saw Kelly's departure in the cards when he chose to switch jobs? Rather good planning if so. I can't think of a quicker jump from G5 coordinator to major P5 HC.

I got to wondering if Freeman saw Kelly's departure in the cards when he chose to switch jobs? Rather good planning if so. I can't think of a quicker jump from G5 coordinator to major P5 HC.
My understanding is he saw that O was hanging on by a thread at LSU and viewed ND as the more stable option. I can’t imagine he had any foresight into Kelly leaving. From the sound of things, just about all of his staff was caught off guard.

My understanding is he saw that O was hanging on by a thread at LSU and viewed ND as the more stable option. I can’t imagine he had any foresight into Kelly leaving. From the sound of things, just about all of his staff was caught off guard.

I'm not following the first "he." Freemon? He had an option to take a position at LSU also?

I don't feel Notre Dame is the job it once was. Great school, and kids should go there no doubt. But the constraints of the types of students they get really make is next to impossible to win a national championship. Kelly may be the first coach to leave there in his prime because it's just not a way to get the job done.
Kelly is deep into the back nine of his career. He was looking for one last big payday before retirement. ND was going to be done with him in 2024 regardless, so he bolted when his stock was at a high point.

So in some alternate timeline, Freeman got the LSU job. I wonder how he would do? I think better at ND, where ND does more of the recruiting. SEC would be cut-throat for a guy with no HC experience.

So in some alternate timeline, Freeman got the LSU job. I wonder how he would do? I think better at ND, where ND does more of the recruiting. SEC would be cut-throat for a guy with no HC experience.
LSU’s AD was only going to hire a big name, so he wouldn’t have even been considered. I think ND is a slightly easier place to be a 1st time HC, but still incredibly difficult.

Kelly is deep into the back nine of his career. He was looking for one last big payday before retirement. ND was going to be done with him in 2024 regardless, so he bolted when his stock was at a high point.
Interesting, first I’ve heard of this. Agreed he was on the backend of his career (which is why I thought he’d just ride ND off into retirement), but that’s the first I’ve heard of ND moving on from him in 3 years.

I'm not following the first "he." Freemon? He had an option to take a position at LSU also?
Freeman was between LSU and ND as a DC when he was leaving Cincinnati after last year. He knew Coach O was on the way out, so he went with ND thinking it was more stable. That's what Pboy was trying to say.

Historically, ND would seem to be more stable than LSU but LSU has the NCs. Quite a choice to have. I like the guy but when either school would be in the way of the team I would prefer..... I can only wish him well just so far.

I see where Freeman took a shot at tOSU in The Players Tribune. He said it was a mistake to have chosen the Buckeyes over the Irish in his recruitment, and he’s glad he didn’t make the same mistake twice. Yikes! ?

If he's trying to establish a rivalry with OSU, that's not going to work. If he's trying to burn bridges, that could work. I suspect something more, … societal to help recruiting. First step as an HC was backwards and lacked class. Said something that didn't need be said.