Notre Dame

I see where Freeman took a shot at tOSU in The Players Tribune. He said it was a mistake to have chosen the Buckeyes over the Irish in his recruitment, and he’s glad he didn’t make the same mistake twice. Yikes! ?
That’s not a shot.

If he's trying to establish a rivalry with OSU, that's not going to work. If he's trying to burn bridges, that could work. I suspect something more, … societal to help recruiting. First step as an HC was backwards and lacked class. Said something that didn't need be said.
Saying he wished he’d chosen to play at ND isn’t a slap at OSU.

I see where Freeman took a shot at tOSU in The Players Tribune. He said it was a mistake to have chosen the Buckeyes over the Irish in his recruitment, and he’s glad he didn’t make the same mistake twice. Yikes! ?
He didn’t take any shot at OSU. He didn’t say one bad word about OSU. All he said is that he wished he played at ND. I wouldn’t read anything into it.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

AEW Champion: Boorish Clutterer

He didn’t take any shot at OSU. He didn’t say one bad word about OSU. All he said is that he wished he played at ND. I wouldn’t read anything into it.

AEW Champion: Boorish Clutterer
What if your boy BK publicly said that coaching at ND was a mistake. Granted anyone could construe that comment in the manner they choose, but a portion of the fanbase, colleagues, staff, players, might see it as a slight. But that’s his opinion, so good for him.

Most likely coach speak, but still weird to say it at all given they play each other next year. Could have easily gotten a similar point across without mentioning the Buckeyes.

What if your boy BK publicly said that coaching at ND was a mistake. Granted anyone could construe that comment in the manner they choose, but a portion of the fanbase, colleagues, staff, players, might see it as a slight. But that’s his opinion, so good for him.
I wouldn’t care. Especially since there’s not a lot of value in Colonel Kelly’s words these days.

AEW Champion is runnin’ the show

I wouldn’t care. Especially since there’s not a lot of value in Colonel Kelly’s words these days.

AEW Champion is runnin’ the show
Well, just be happy your boy Marcus did make that recruiting mistake. Otherwise he would have lost to tOSU in the Fiesta Bowl, and played in zero BCS games (instead of two). Oh, and instead of playing for those four miserable years under Tressel, he would have played for one unforgettable year under Willingham and three outstanding ones under Charlie. :ROFLMAO:

Well, just be happy your boy Marcus did make that recruiting mistake. Otherwise he would have lost to tOSU in the Fiesta Bowl, and played in zero BCS games (instead of two). Oh, and instead of playing for those four miserable years under Tressel, he would have played for one unforgettable year under Willingham and three outstanding ones under Charlie. :ROFLMAO:
Who cares? That was Notre Dame’s down period and even then they still made it to BCS bowls in 05 and 06.

Watch AEW Dynamite tonight at 8 ET on TNT!

Not to mention the fact that he wouldn't have ever met Luke Fickell, who gave him his big break as a coach in the first place. He's trying to change the face of ND recruiting, I get the angle but still said in poor taste given choosing tOSU is quite literally the reason he has the life he has now (starting with meeting his college sweetheart wife and mother of his six children).

Sure it is. Perhaps not intended to be malicious, but a swipe nonetheless. Not sure why he even needed to reference the Buckeyes. But he made a conscious decision to do so.
Anything to try and help the recruiting battles. ND and OSU have been going head to head for some recruits. I am sure ND would have loved getting the younger Styles.

It is early and Freeman will have a honeymoon period, especially if the Irish beat OSU but things look good thus far.

I have had the pleasure of watching a Brian Kelly ND practice and a tOSU Urban Meyer practice and they were night and day. Kelly practices were intense but far more methodical and very much going through the motions. Urban Meyer practices were like war. Everything was designed around competition and IMO it makes a huge difference in being hungry come game time.

Marcus Freeman who of course coached under Meyer is implementing that same competitiveness at ND.

Another aspect that is promising is their recruiting. Defensive guys and Olineman pepper their commit sheet. For as much as the game changes some things stay the same and in order to win a National Title you need a shut down defense.

It is early and Freeman will have a honeymoon period, especially if the Irish beat OSU but things look good thus far.

I have had the pleasure of watching a Brian Kelly ND practice and a tOSU Urban Meyer practice and they were night and day. Kelly practices were intense but far more methodical and very much going through the motions. Urban Meyer practices were like war. Everything was designed around competition and IMO it makes a huge difference in being hungry come game time.

Marcus Freeman who of course coached under Meyer is implementing that same competitiveness at ND.

Another aspect that is promising is their recruiting. Defensive guys and Olineman pepper their commit sheet. For as much as the game changes some things stay the same and in order to win a National Title you need a shut down defense.

Their qb recruiting blows. Buchner is their only shot bc that Angeli kid is a Mac level player.

Their qb recruiting blows. Buchner is their only shot bc that Angeli kid is a Mac level player.
They will get there. Focus on D and good things will happen. Oline as well but they have done well there even under Kelly. I was disappointed they didn't make a run for Jack Miller but with the transfer portal these days recruiting stud QB's is not priority. OSU recruited 4 awesome guys and when all said and done only one will finish a Buckeye.

I also think Kelly got really wonky his last couple years going after a certain "type." Drew Pyne?
He’s actually a better prospect than Angeli. Angeli barely threw the ball vs the best competition Bergen played. At least Pyne can throw the ball with accuracy.

He’s actually a better prospect than Angeli. Angeli barely threw the ball vs the best competition Bergen played. At least Pyne can throw the ball with accuracy.
Maybe 20 yards. I know all about Angeli. Pyne is not even a MAC guy. ND can do better but focusing on stud defensive guys is refreshing.

They will get there. Focus on D and good things will happen. Oline as well but they have done well there even under Kelly. I was disappointed they didn't make a run for Jack Miller but with the transfer portal these days recruiting stud QB's is not priority. OSU recruited 4 awesome guys and when all said and done only one will finish a Buckeye.
They went after Kedon Slovis, and I thought he would’ve been a good fit. However, I’m guessing he doesn’t want to compete for the starting job. And recruiting at least 1 stud QB every 2 years should be the highest priority. I do think teams will learn from OSU and not take a 5* every year but ND is pinning a ton on the development of Buchner. If he’s a bust, they’re f’d.

Maybe 20 yards. I know all about Angeli. Pyne is not even a MAC guy. ND can do better but focusing on stud defensive guys is refreshing.
Pyne was a 4* and offered by OSU before he even reached HS. He’s not a great prospect but way better than Angeli

Pyne was a 4* and offered by OSU before he even reached HS. He’s not a great prospect but way better than Angeli
Right. He peaked in the 8th grade. OSU offer was a soft one. Only ND bought the bag of goods.

It is ND so they will be able to scoop up a couple decent transfers at QB so I'm really not worried. Agree, IF it is just Buchar we might be in trouble but it will not be. '

Focusing on D is what is needed and they are doing it. Changing the practices to imbed more competitiveness will help as well. Throughout the Kelly years they would play almost everyone close. They never looked dominant. They would put together a phenomonal drive and then look mediocre at best on their next three possesions. Same with the D. Making everything a competition should help that.

Right. He peaked in the 8th grade. OSU offer was a soft one. Only ND bought the bag of goods.

It is ND so they will be able to scoop up a couple decent transfers at QB so I'm really not worried. Agree, IF it is just Buchar we might be in trouble but it will not be. '

Focusing on D is what is needed and they are doing it. Changing the practices to imbed more competitiveness will help as well. Throughout the Kelly years they would play almost everyone close. They never looked dominant. They would put together a phenomonal drive and then look mediocre at best on their next three possesions. Same with the D. Making everything a competition should help that.
Dominant Defense no longer exists. Look at how Saban and Bama teams have evolved the last 5 years. Also, based on recent history, you need at stud QB to win a title:

2020- Jones
2019- Burrow
2018- Lawrence
2017- Tua/Hurts
2016- Watson

All of them with the exception of Hurts (who was a 2nd round pick) were 1st Round NFL Draft picks. Lawrence & Burrow were the #1 overall picks.

I’d bet good $ Bryce Young will be added to that list.

Dominant Defense no longer exists. Look at how Saban and Bama teams have evolved the last 5 years. Also, based on recent history, you need at stud QB to win a title:

2020- Jones
2019- Burrow
2018- Lawrence
2017- Tua/Hurts
2016- Watson

All of them with the exception of Hurts (who was a 2nd round pick) were 1st Round NFL Draft picks. Lawrence & Burrow were the #1 overall picks.

I’d bet good $ Bryce Young will be added to that list.
I'm not arguing any of that. However, Saban routinely gets studs on defense. All of those teams had GREAT defenses. It is no secret that the top 4 teams usually have the best front 7's in football. Something Freeman understands.

A couple of those guys were transfers which solidifies my point. ND will find a QB.

Can you agree ND recruitment of D is in the right direction? You seem obsessed with the QB position. Georgia still might be the best team in football and they have a MAC guy at QB. D matters more now than ever.

I'm not arguing any of that. However, Saban routinely gets studs on defense. All of those teams had GREAT defenses. It is no secret that the top 4 teams usually have the best front 7's in football. Something Freeman understands.

A couple of those guys were transfers which solidifies my point. ND will find a QB.

Can you agree ND recruitment of D is in the right direction? You seem obsessed with the QB position. Georgia still might be the best team in football and they have a MAC guy at QB. D matters more now than ever.
I agree, Defensive recruiting is elite. I expect them to land Peyton Bowen, a 5* Safety in the class of ‘23 when he announces on Jan 1st. However, I don’t understand why you’re so confident ND will find a stud QB. And I have to pushback severely on your point about UGA. Their Qb is why they’re not the best team in the country. He’s terrible and a total hindrance to their Offense. Unless JT Daniels is hurt, there’s no good explanation for why Bennett is starting.

The three biggest recruits on ND’s Board for ‘23 should be:

Carnell Tate- 5* WR, 50/50 battle bw ND & OSU
Dante Moore- 4* QB, seems like it’s bw ND & Michigan
Jalen Brown- 5* WR, no news on who leads his recruitment. However, ND did get a commitment from his teammate RB Sedrick Irvin Jr.

The way things seem to be trending anymore, a program like this can just load up on transfer QBs. Ohio State, Oklahoma (and now USC), Alabama, etc. may have 3-4 5 star and high 4 star guys in the room, but only one of them can play at a time. There are going to be 2nd/3rd year immediate eligibility potential studs available every year.

The way things seem to be trending anymore, a program like this can just load up on transfer QBs. Ohio State, Oklahoma (and now USC), Alabama, etc. may have 3-4 5 star and high 4 star guys in the room, but only one of them can play at a time. There are going to be 2nd/3rd year immediate eligibility potential studs available every year.
I think you’re going to see a shift in philosophy when it comes to QB recruiting. I think every 2-3 years elite programs will take a 3* QB to be a long term backup. That or they’ll recruit an Athlete and cross train him at QB for emergency situations.

Which is why I'm not overly worried about the ND QB situation.

Which is why I'm not overly worried about the ND QB situation.
I am bc you still don’t know how the transfers will pan out. I think it’s fair to say Coan worked out for this season, but he wouldn’t be good enough to win a Title.