News-Herald: OHSAA Needs To Delay Start Of Season

What would cutting it down three weeks or just league games have anything to do with it?
If football is dangerous than less football is less dangerous.

Kind of like going to school five days a week is dangerous but going only two days a week is less dangerous.

What a dope. Is it March? Because they can spread it to the staff, to their other family members, possibly be our very sick themselves. Just stop posting Boomer.
What a dope. Is it March? Because they can spread it to the staff, to their other family members, possibly be our very sick themselves. Just stop posting Boomer.
Only dopes ignore facts and data!

Very distressing news for the "only the old, sick folks over 60 get COVID"----from ONE county in Texas today:

85 Babies test positive for Covid in Texas today!!! "IN ONE COUNTY! Not the entire state of Texas, but in just 1 county - And Nueces County is nowhere close to the biggest; 16th most populous w/ ~ 360K (top 6 counties have well over a million each). Texas has 254 counties". Remember COVID doesn't know county or state lines as far as we know!!

That seems to be inline with what most would expect. Nueces has 8,408 total cases. Not really a surprise that kids under 2 years old would have around 1% of the cases. Those 85 cases are from almost 3 months of testing:
The numbers are taken from testing that started on March 21, 2020.

Last edited:
So with that rationale... if there's a positive case in the school building once it resumes, does every classroom that the student was in get shutdown for 14 days?
But given this age group, FAR FAR safer (6 times more---CDC stat) than the seasonal flu.

survival rate maybe, but it damages the lungs, heart, digestive system and brain. It enters as a respiratory virus that also does vascular damage

Pretty good article by Cincinnati Enquirer Sports columnist Paul Daugherty about COVID from July 9th:

"If the last month has shown us anything, it is that the great national re-opening was hasty and flawed. It wasn’t supposed to signal a return to business as usual. It was supposed to be employed with caution and consideration. You know: Two things that Sheriff Jones says he doesn’t have time for.

Rights and freedoms and liberties and all that. No mention of responsibilities, though. They might interfere with your rights.

You can laugh at/ignore/stand proudly in defiance of DeWine all you want. You can ignore the science and scientists and act like a 2-year-old at Costco. The virus will love you.

What you can’t do is resume normal living. No amount of your defiance is going to re-open the country completely or get every child back in school. Or ensure you college football on Saturdays in the fall.

All your defiance does is make sure the pandemic will linger for all of us.

Three million cases don’t lie. Fifty-thousand new cases a day don’t lie. Not when Italy has next to none. Not when the US is lumped with Russia and Brazil – lovely autocracies, both – as countries whose people are forbidden from visiting Europe. Not when parents can’t get back to work because they can’t leave their kids at home.

The plague is kicking our butt, yeah?"

Don't be surprised to see a lot more cases in Italy soon. Spain is already reshutting down some regions.

The only places where there will be no new cases is where everyone who is going to getting it has already been exposed enough to do so.

Locking people away only delays the inevitable.

Pretty good article by Cincinnati Enquirer Sports columnist Paul Daugherty about COVID from July 9th:

"If the last month has shown us anything, it is that the great national re-opening was hasty and flawed. It wasn’t supposed to signal a return to business as usual. It was supposed to be employed with caution and consideration. You know: Two things that Sheriff Jones says he doesn’t have time for.

Rights and freedoms and liberties and all that. No mention of responsibilities, though. They might interfere with your rights.

You can laugh at/ignore/stand proudly in defiance of DeWine all you want. You can ignore the science and scientists and act like a 2-year-old at Costco. The virus will love you.

What you can’t do is resume normal living. No amount of your defiance is going to re-open the country completely or get every child back in school. Or ensure you college football on Saturdays in the fall.

All your defiance does is make sure the pandemic will linger for all of us.

Three million cases don’t lie. Fifty-thousand new cases a day don’t lie. Not when Italy has next to none. Not when the US is lumped with Russia and Brazil – lovely autocracies, both – as countries whose people are forbidden from visiting Europe. Not when parents can’t get back to work because they can’t leave their kids at home.

The plague is kicking our butt, yeah?"
Cases are in the 70,000 's per day lately

All the kids lost their Spring season last year. Asking the Fall sports to do the same seems reasonable.

Thread title says that OHSAA should delay the start of the season, didn't the OHSAA say last week that they have no control over the regular season?

Thread title says that OHSAA should delay the start of the season, didn't the OHSAA say last week that they have no control over the regular season?
OHSAA sets the calendar. They also punish schools for violating that calendar and every other rule that applies to the regular season.

Collinwood got booted from the OHSAA for not fielding enough teams in a season. They have all the control until they're forced to make an unfavorable decision and put the onus on someone else.

Cases are in the 70,000 's per day lately
Has everyone read what is out on the CDC website ? Look under what is considered a positive test and you will find that IF you have a common cold, you will test positive. I realize that this covid thing is scary and real BUT Come On Man ! If we are taking a test let it be about the actual killer disease and not lump the common cold in with it ! Hell, I woke up today with aches all over so if I answer one of the Covid tests, I would be rules as having Covid . It didn't ask if I had run 4.2 miles yesterday and lifted for 65 minutes as well thus causing the soreness and fatigue. Get the friggin Politics out of this, let the treatments out that work ( Quit fighting over whose buddy will make the trillions on the vaccine ) and get people back to living life. And , oh by the way, people quit being PIGS . Wash your hands, etc. Geesh !

survival rate maybe, but it damages the lungs, heart, digestive system and brain. It enters as a respiratory virus that also does vascular damage

Any links of credible studies supporting this? If it was true then we should lock down again immediately.

Has everyone read what is out on the CDC website ? Look under what is considered a positive test and you will find that IF you have a common cold, you will test positive. I realize that this covid thing is scary and real BUT Come On Man ! If we are taking a test let it be about the actual killer disease and not lump the common cold in with it ! Hell, I woke up today with aches all over so if I answer one of the Covid tests, I would be rules as having Covid . It didn't ask if I had run 4.2 miles yesterday and lifted for 65 minutes as well thus causing the soreness and fatigue. Get the friggin Politics out of this, let the treatments out that work ( Quit fighting over whose buddy will make the trillions on the vaccine ) and get people back to living life. And , oh by the way, people quit being PIGS . Wash your hands, etc. Geesh !

They also designate ALL deaths of people who test positive for covid19 as "covid deaths". If you did this for the common flu it could double the number of flu deaths in a given year. Remember the great majority of people who die from covid19 are very old with multiple underlining health issues. So if an 85 year old dies of congestive heart failure and is covid19 positive they blame the virus.

This type of counting will lead to an inflated number of covid deaths. Take the 2017/18 flu season where the upper 95% confidence level had about 100,000 people dying. Add a 50% boost in deaths using the covid counting protocol (that is a conservative estimate BTW) and you had about 150,000 Americans dying from the flu in 2017/18. That puts things in perspective doesn't it.

That test you are talking about was testing for AntiBodies, not the virus. So basically what the CDC said was the cold could show positive for antibodies when testing for Covid antibodies. They did not say the common cold would test positive for the virus with a Viral test

I for one would like to take a small amount of time to point out and to ask all of the volleyball, baseball, softball, cross country tennis, soccer and track coaches who argue daily for equality in their sport and say that they should receive the same as any sport, to take a look at what is going on today. The discussion is about fall sports but the primary focus is on football. Not that we must be able to play tennis. Not that we should be able to run cross country and not that we need to play soccer. I say this with not anger towards any of those sports. Only indicating this is a good time for them to see the truth.

I for one would like to take a small amount of time to point out and to ask all of the volleyball, baseball, softball, cross country tennis, soccer and track coaches who argue daily for equality in their sport and say that they should receive the same as any sport, to take a look at what is going on today. The discussion is about fall sports but the primary focus is on football. Not that we must be able to play tennis. Not that we should be able to run cross country and not that we need to play soccer. I say this with not anger towards any of those sports. Only indicating this is a good time for them to see the truth.
What is the "truth" here and how is it a "gotcha" for "[other fall sports coaches] who argue daily for equality in their sport"?

What is the "truth" here and how is it a "gotcha" for "[other fall sports coaches] who argue daily for equality in their sport"?
The truth is we have sport tiers. Every sport is important but it would be very obvious over the last 2-3 months it's not evenly considered.

Not sure the point. Most people would probably agree that schools make most of their decisions based on football. Thus the fight for equality!!

That test you are talking about was testing for AntiBodies, not the virus. So basically what the CDC said was the cold could show positive for antibodies when testing for Covid antibodies. They did not say the common cold would test positive for the virus with a Viral test
I beg to differ Adog as you are correct in the antibody test and result BUT these are being lumped into the final tally and in my opinion they should not. Just like the old guilty by association. In one particular power 5 conference football school, there were 23 members of the team who were deemed to be positive since they had visited ( and partied, of course they ARE college kids :) ) one of the biggest bar areas where 1 person not associated with the team tested positive. Thereby making those 23 who admitted to being there ( This area contains 6 bars all in one area) positive as well. Also, looke at Jimmy Johnson ( The NasCrap driver) he tested positive and only sat out for 1 week. Why not 2 ? Also why did his whole pitcrew and personal driver and assistant not get sat for 2 weeks as well since they WERE around him ? Not alot makes sense my friend.

The truth is we have sport tiers. Every sport is important but it would be very obvious over the last 2-3 months it's not evenly considered.
Unfortunately you are correct as these basically non-revenue sports do not take the same billing as football. Always been this way and probably always will be. Until these sports bring in the interest and hence the $$$$ it will stay this way. Mount Union did not grow because they have a wicked good tennis team.

I beg to differ Adog as you are correct in the antibody test and result BUT these are being lumped into the final tally and in my opinion they should not. Just like the old guilty by association. In one particular power 5 conference football school, there were 23 members of the team who were deemed to be positive since they had visited ( and partied, of course they ARE college kids :) ) one of the biggest bar areas where 1 person not associated with the team tested positive. Thereby making those 23 who admitted to being there ( This area contains 6 bars all in one area) positive as well. Also, looke at Jimmy Johnson ( The NasCrap driver) he tested positive and only sat out for 1 week. Why not 2 ? Also why did his whole pitcrew and personal driver and assistant not get sat for 2 weeks as well since they WERE around him ? Not alot makes sense my friend.
Not sure about the football players being considered positive and not tested ( i have not read that but will research it need be) but on the anti body testing, YES, if you test positive for anti bodies in your system you will be counted as YES having anti bodies in your system no matter if it was because of the common cold. If you test positive to have anti bodies in your system , you will NOT be counted as as having coronavirus. All this statement is saying, is the common cold could skew the data on antibody testing, not viral testing, 2 different tests

Not sure about the football players being considered positive and not tested ( i have not read that but will research it need be) but on the anti body testing, YES, if you test positive for anti bodies in your system you will be counted as YES having anti bodies in your system no matter if it was because of the common cold. If you test positive to have anti bodies in your system , you will NOT be counted as as having coronavirus. All this statement is saying, is the common cold could skew the data on antibody testing, not viral testing, 2 different tests
I should add, if the anti body testing is being lumped into positive test for the virus, i was not aware and have not seen anything to confirm that

I don’t think any of them are asking for equality or have been complaining. I do think many people don’t realize how much athletic departments (many, not all) lose money by operating football. Example being with soccer, many D1 programs have about 50-70 kids in it with usually 3 coaches max. Football has maybe 20 more players and staffs 8-12 coaches (think of the salaries), helmets, pads, three nights of games...love football but way more money to operate. To say athletic departments couldn’t survive without football is asinine.

Not sure the point. Most people would probably agree that schools make most of their decisions based on football. Thus the fight for equality!!
If you read closely I was taking the moment and directing my time to other sports coaches who make try to make the argument that all sports are even.

I don’t think any of them are asking for equality or have been complaining. I do think many people don’t realize how much athletic departments (many, not all) lose money by operating football. Example being with soccer, many D1 programs have about 50-70 kids in it with usually 3 coaches max. Football has maybe 20 more players and staffs 8-12 coaches (think of the salaries), helmets, pads, three nights of games...love football but way more money to operate. To say athletic departments couldn’t survive without football is asinine.
Looking at the numbers of schools that offer basketball and football in the divisional breakdowns, Ohio has at least 75 athletic departments that do not offer football.