Mooney football 2019

Was at the Mooney scrimmage it was 14-14 with glenville getting the kick off with about 3 min left in half . I left so don't know what happen the rest of the scrimmage. Mooney was ok the QB runs good don't know how he throws he didn't have time to. The d was good against the run glenville had good QB that threw good on the run. Mooney's running back is pretty good. Glenville online was huge!

Was at the Mooney scrimmage it was 14-14 with glenville getting the kick off with about 3 min left in half . I left so don't know what happen the rest of the scrimmage. Mooney was ok the QB runs good don't know how he throws he didn't have time to. The d was good against the run glenville had good QB that threw good on the run. Mooney's running back is pretty good. Glenville online was huge!
It ended up being 28 to 14 Glenville with Glenville on the 3 yard line going in for another score when the scrimmage was called so that the JV could get time. . the JV game was Glenville 14 Mooney 0.

All reports indicate that the Cards held their own.

They can still run the ball.

Still can't pass block or throw.

Standard Erie Street Warrior offense incoming.

Regarding the tennis, Mooney and Canfield dominated tennis in the area in the 80’s into the 90’s. Both programs had State Championships and pretty much annual trips to Columbus for more than a decade. The 2 teams played every year all during the 80’s and 90’s into the 2000’s. They only stopped when the asshat Superintendent that Canfield currently has blocked it. Also, this included girls tennis as well
Canfield and Mooney definitely played in girls tennis, I never said they didn't. But Mooney was definitely was not on the schedule for the boys team in the mid to late 1990's or 2000's, the only way we would have played is in the OTCA Tournament, sectionals, or a multi-team tournament that might be what you are remembering, so even though they may have played it was not in a regularly scheduled match, it would be akin to playoffs or a special tournament. They may have played in the 1980's. As far as "They only stopped when the asshat Superintendent that Canfield currently has blocked it." I know for a fact this is false because I was on the team during that time and I never competed against Mooney, they actually backed out of playing us several times though. Canfield never played Mooney when my brother was on the team either, nor did they play when several of my friends were on the team who I asked. I am not sure where you got your information from that Canfield and Mooney played in boys tennis in the 1990's and 2000's, but you are mistaken, I even checked the yearbooks and when possible the Vindicator to double check. I didn't check any yearbooks from the 1980's however, if they did play in the 1990's it had to have been before my friend was on the team so before 1992.

Canfield and Mooney definitely played in girls tennis, I never said they didn't. But Mooney was definitely was not on the schedule for the boys team in the mid to late 1990's or 2000's, the only way we would have played is in the OTCA Tournament, sectionals, or a multi-team tournament that might be what you are remembering, so even though they may have played it was not in a regularly scheduled match, it would be akin to playoffs or a special tournament. They may have played in the 1980's. As far as "They only stopped when the asshat Superintendent that Canfield currently has blocked it." I know for a fact this is false because I was on the team during that time and I never competed against Mooney, they actually backed out of playing us several times though. Canfield never played Mooney when my brother was on the team either, nor did they play when several of my friends were on the team who I asked. I am not sure where you got your information from that Canfield and Mooney played in boys tennis in the 1990's and 2000's, but you are mistaken, I even checked the yearbooks and when possible the Vindicator to double check. I didn't check any yearbooks from the 1980's however, if they did play in the 1990's it had to have been before my friend was on the team so before 1992.

No one gives a sh it about tennis...at any level

Mooney opens with Chaney at Rayen Thursday night. The Cardinals and Cowboys have played each other 34 times but they have not met since 2002. Of course Chaney did not field a varsity football team from 2011-2018. Can anyone tell me that last time the two played each other at Rayen? Can anyone tell me the last time Mooney played anybody at Rayen?

Mooney opens with Chaney at Rayen Thursday night. The Cardinals and Cowboys have played each other 34 times but they have not met since 2002. Of course Chaney did not field a varsity football team from 2011-2018. Can anyone tell me that last time the two played each other at Rayen? Can anyone tell me the last time Mooney played anybody at Rayen?
Without looking at Mooneys website I'll take a wild stab at it.

I'll say the last time Mooney played at Rayen was against Ursuline in the early 80s. I'll guess 81.
Mooney and Chaney at Rayen? Hmm. Since both used South as a home field I'll guess somewhere in the 60s when the City Series had 8 teams and they may have had to juggle fields if there were 4 city games going on same weekend. I'll say 66

Without looking at Mooneys website I'll take a wild stab at it.

I'll say the last time Mooney played at Rayen was against Ursuline in the early 80s. I'll guess 81.
Mooney and Chaney at Rayen? Hmm. Since both used South as a home field I'll guess somewhere in the 60s when the City Series had 8 teams and they may have had to juggle fields if there were 4 city games going on same weekend. I'll say 66

Very close. Mooney's last game at Rayen was indeed vs. Ursuline. It was the 1980 game. The 81 game was at South and of course since Stambaugh Stadium opened in 82 they have played each other there.

As you noted Chaney and Mooney did both primarily use South for their home games in the 8-team City Series days, along with South and Wilson. Of course that means that Rayen, East, North and Ursuline primarily used Rayen for their home games. There were some exceptions, for example Mooney playing Fitch and Struthers at Rayen, etc.

Once City Series league play started there would be a game at South and one at Rayen on Friday and Saturdays as all 8 teams would be playing each other. Since YSU also used Rayen as a home field at the time the Guins played some Thursday night and Saturday afternoon games. In any event the 1961 and 62 Chaney-Mooney games were played at Rayen. To my knowledge the only two played there. The 61-62 Mooney teams have the distinction of being the only City Series teams in league history to post perfect 7-0 league records in back-to-back seasons.

FYI the 1966 Chaney-Mooney game was played at South and that was Mooney's only loss that season which was Don Bucci's 1st as the Cardinals HC.

I figured i had a 50/50 shot at the Mooney/Ursuline year. Either 80 or 81.
But what wouldve the reason for Chaney and Mooney playing at Rayen? Did the other 5 teams that use Rayen played out of conference on the road ? Or was Wilson and South designated home games at South that week, leaving Chaney and Mooney to go riverside?

I figured i had a 50/50 shot at the Mooney/Ursuline year. Either 80 or 81.
But what wouldve the reason for Chaney and Mooney playing at Rayen? Did the other 5 teams that use Rayen played out of conference on the road ? Or was Wilson and South designated home games at South that week, leaving Chaney and Mooney to go riverside?

I'm sure that is the reason as both years Wilson played at South the same night and obviously since it was played there Rayen was available.

I do remember the Cards playing Chaney in week 10 at Boardman in 1970 I think it was. I can't say I know the reason for that one not being at South however. I think every other meeting was at South prior to Stambaugh Stadium opening that is.

That 1962 season was the 1st time Mooney played 10 games in a season and they never left the city. They played 5 at Rayen and 5 at South.

Can't wait to walk over and check out the game tonight. Hoping for a good crowd and atmosphere. Not sure it will be like East and Ursuline 6 years ago. That game was on a saturday afternoon. Not sure a Thursday night will see the same action.

That exact thing left struthers out of the playoffs last year with Campbell and Jefferson going winless, also kept the cats from the 1 seed a few years ago when they played Toledo Scott who also hurt us. Sometimes bye weeks are better then people think
Same with mooney a few years ago and Akron North

Same with mooney a few years ago and Akron North

Bye weeks are underrated. !!!

Especially when you play a Ursuline or Mooney schedule where currently, you are outmanned. Unless you can find an easy win (good mentally for the kids, backups get playing time).....(IE...getting a week off in between the Hoban and Harding games is probably a good idea.)

Looked like 0-10 after the first quarter. A horrendous start.

Then looked like a playoff team after that.

Much different looking team this year, no doubt about that. Small and a small roster. maybe 40 kids?

The defense tackled better and hit harder than it has in a long time. Stoops is back. lots of titles with a Stoops coaching the D. Only 1 without if I recall correctly.

Mr. Rogers is going to be a very nice runner for the next few years, only a SOPH.

Didn't try to throw much, but the QB has a decent arm and the pass blocking was better than it's been since about 2009.

The offensive line, having the only real pieces back, looks to be the strength of the team and a Mooney team with a good O line usually causes problems.

And finally there's a kicker in young Mr. Philibin. Banged through both FGs and the PAT with authority.

Chaney for their part have a ways to go, especially offensively, but certainly have some pieces to put together a nice season.

Anyone else?

Much different looking team this year, no doubt about that. Small and a small roster. maybe 40 kids?

The defense tackled better and hit harder than it has in a long time. Stoops is back. lots of titles with a Stoops coaching the D. Only 1 without if I recall correctly.

Mr. Rogers is going to be a very nice runner for the next few years, only a SOPH.

Didn't try to throw much, but the QB has a decent arm and the pass blocking was better than it's been since about 2009.

The offensive line, having the only real pieces back, looks to be the strength of the team and a Mooney team with a good O line usually causes problems.

And finally there's a kicker in young Mr. Philibin. Banged through both FGs and the PAT with authority.

Chaney for their part have a ways to go, especially offensively, but certainly have some pieces to put together a nice season.

Anyone else?

My buddy went to the game and said basically what you said. Getting Stoops back to Coach is huge for Mooney. The Sophomore Tailback is the real deal. My friend said he ran like a miniature Ted Bell, slashing, cutting on a dime yet lowering the shoulder too.... at 5'8 155lbs

Anyone else?

I agree with this for the most part. Chaney does have some nice athletes and looked very quick defensively. I don't know about their OL going forward but their offense looked like world beaters on that first drive. Mooney's OL finally took control of the game and kept Chaney's offense off the field with long time consuming drives like they have been doing for 50 plus years now. The Cowboys only ran 14 offensive plays in the 2nd half, 5 in the 3rd quarter. Very difficult to win a game when the opponent has the ball that much.

Looking at their remaining schedule I think Chaney is capable of winning 5-7 games, assuming that OL can hold up and improve and they don't get Mr. Petrosky killed. We shall see

I would like to see the Cards throw the occasional wheel route or screen to Mr. Rogers. Get him the ball in space and let him make plays.

My buddy went to the game and said basically what you said. Getting Stoops back to Coach is huge for Mooney. The Sophomore Tailback is the real deal. My friend said he ran like a miniature Ted Bell, slashing, cutting on a dime yet lowering the shoulder too.... at 5'8 155lbs

Young Mr. Rogers certainly made a huge difference and gave the Cards the spark they needed. He looks like a scat back type, and he does have that speed and quickness, but he ran much stronger than his size would lead one to believe he is capable of. I am certainly not going to compare him to Ted Bell, especially after one game, but he did have the same type of varsity debut as Mr. Bell did way back in 1971 as a soph. against Youngstown South.

Ted Bell ? LOL...... Not even close. Watched the game on TV. Chaney was much more impressive as a new program. Quick D. They will win some games. Mooney is being hyped. They aren’t that good.

Ted Bell ? LOL...... Not even close. Watched the game on TV. Chaney was much more impressive as a new program. Quick D. They will win some games. Mooney is being hyped. They aren’t that good.

You won't get any argument out of me. After all who knows more about teams that aren't very good being hyped than a Lakeview fan? Especially one that does more than his fair share of the hyping about said team? :)

In all seriousness I don't know that anybody is hyping this Mooney team at all. Certainly none of the fans that I know. I don't think there are any great expectations. As for me personally I'm just hoping they can avoid back-to-back losing seasons for the 1st time in school history. I can see them finishing 4-6 again. Hopefully they win a few more. We shall see.

Last edited:

Re-read the original post. Friend said the kid ran like a "MINIATURE" Ted Bell, by his "running style";.. the "slashing", "cut on a dime" qualities. He didn't say he was Ted Bell for goodness sakes. Quit being such a tool.

Re-read the original post. Friend said the kid ran like a "MINIATURE" Ted Bell, by his "running style";.. the "slashing", "cut on a dime" qualities. He didn't say he was Ted Bell for goodness sakes. Quit being such a tool.
Paladins just lashing out because he knows his bulldogs are in for a very, very long season.

Mooney still tackles well and can play ball control offense. If they were playing local teams this season I’d say they’re fine but that offense is way too outdated to beat some of the better teams on their schedule. Chaney looked good against West Branch because West Branch couldn’t tackle.

Mooney still tackles well and can play ball control offense. If they were playing local teams this season I’d say they’re fine but that offense is way too outdated to beat some of the better teams on their schedule. Chaney looked good against West Branch because West Branch couldn’t tackle.
I can see Mooney winning maybe 6-7 games if, and its a big IF, they dont get too beat up this coming weekend by Hoban. They have to come out of that game healthy. They don't have the depth.

I agree with this for the most part. Chaney does have some nice athletes and looked very quick defensively. I don't know about their OL going forward but their offense looked like world beaters on that first drive. Mooney's OL finally took control of the game and kept Chaney's offense off the field with long time consuming drives like they have been doing for 50 plus years now. The Cowboys only ran 14 offensive plays in the 2nd half, 5 in the 3rd quarter. Very difficult to win a game when the opponent has the ball that much.

Looking at their remaining schedule I think Chaney is capable of winning 5-7 games, assuming that OL can hold up and improve and they don't get Mr. Petrosky killed. We shall see

I would like to see the Cards throw the occasional wheel route or screen to Mr. Rogers. Get him the ball in space and let him make plays.

Young Mr. Rogers certainly made a huge difference and gave the Cards the spark they needed. He looks like a scat back type, and he does have that speed and quickness, but he ran much stronger than his size would lead one to believe he is capable of. I am certainly not going to compare him to Ted Bell, especially after one game, but he did have the same type of varsity debut as Mr. Bell did way back in 1971 as a soph. against Youngstown South.

Wheel route?

Pretty sure the last time Mooney ran that play was in the playoff game against Hubbard in 2009. Zordich to Heard. I believe it went for about a 40 yard score.

Of course it's never been 'wheeled out' since.

Mr. Rogers hits the hole with reckless abandon that's for sure.

Since I am not quite as old as YTOWN I would compare him to the first time I saw Nate Burney as a sophomore against harding. You could tell right away he had 'it'.

Half-time adjustments. A Stoops on the sidelines. Question for YTOWN: What championship did Mooney win WITHOUT a Stoops on the sideline?

YTOWN: What year would it have been? Mooney was to play Hoban. I saw P.J. there and said" I knew who you are and why you are here. I grew up between the Amendolas and Yemmas in Struthers" He was shocked. I think Mooney beat them the following week. Both families are his relatives.