Mid-State League 2022

Not everyone can have NC to carry water for their conference’s small school division.
Not to be too competetive, but NC didn't even win the small school division last year, Heath did. Utica is going to be competetive this year. Johnstown reached state awhile back. Northridge beat NC a few years into the restart of the LCL. Lakewood is the only team not to pull its weight. I'd say the LCL small school division is pretty competetive.

I'd say the LCL small school division is pretty competetive.
1662871704026.gif

Not to be too competetive, but NC didn't even win the small school division last year, Heath did. Utica is going to be competetive this year. Johnstown reached state awhile back. Northridge beat NC a few years into the restart of the LCL. Lakewood is the only team not to pull its weight. I'd say the LCL small school division is pretty competetive.
My man, there is noooooooooooo way you believe the LCL small is competitive. Come on now lol

As opposed to the MSL Cardinal, the LCL is more competetive. If you would like to compete for Participation Trophys then go play in the Cardinal
Interesting take, since the LCL e-mailed some Cardinal schools over the winter asking if they’re interested in discussing coming aboard.

Participation trophies were all the most recent MSL-to-LCL defectee had to show for playing in the Cardinal. 🙁

Heath’s team last year was probably their best team in school history. If someone says 2016 was, I get it, but ‘16 was 10-and-done whereas ‘21 made regional semi’s. The LCL-small is better with a good Heath program, I firmly believe — but it’s also not a very decorated program. Had a really good team in the final year of LCL v1, 1990.

Northridge? Come on. Johnnies are uncharacteristically down, yeah, but Lakewood and Utica never did diddly before (or even after) the Johnnies’ finals run.

Utica wanted to go KMAC. Got bilked. Lakewood is probably never going to get anything going.

Like, it’s pretty well-understood where the issues with football are with the LCL-small. They’re not new. The primary problem now is ~6 years of crappy and largely counterproductive crossovers (and schools not wanting to keep playing them) is stymying half of the programs on the small side. So, the LCL keeps kicking the tires yearly on “can we try to make a better model? If so, how?” where the only direct answer that can reach consensus is “can we gauge interest in new membership?”

The LCL has good leadership and a generally amiable, cohesive team of administrators. They consider multiple possibilities and weigh the pro’s/con’s. And really, they leave no stone unturned in the process. Unfortunately, it’s a step-by-step process that keeps stalling out when outside schools aren’t coming to the table. Where it’s really unfortunate for the LCL is their best laid plan to make everyone happy likely died before the school year started.

Rivalry game - GCC traveling to Fairfield Christian. The Eagles lost a heartbreaker last year in OT after being up double digits in the 4th quarter. This should be a great game between two good teams.

I heard that FCA lost their QB for the year. Any word on what happened?

Rivalry game - GCC traveling to Fairfield Christian. The Eagles lost a heartbreaker last year in OT after being up double digits in the 4th quarter. This should be a great game between two good teams.

I heard that FCA lost their QB for the year. Any word on what happened?
Oh, wow! I hadn’t heard that. I’ll have to pick GCC to cover in my groupchat.

edit: should add that I hope it’s not the case that he’s out for long. Talented kid who is a SR.

Last edited:
HT 32
FU 24

Several momentum shifts near Coonpath Rd last night. HT on the board first in the first. FU comes back to lead at halftime 17-13, on the strength of two TD's, and a 32 yard field goal by the Falcons' homecoming queen as the first half expired - a sentence I never pictured myself writing back in my sexist days, lol. But she was perfect on four attempts during the game, and that might easily have been the margin of victory if they prevailed.

Fairfield gets the ball to start the second half, running at will, and scoring early. Hamilton hits paydirt with two minutes left in the 3rd. FU starts the 4th quarter leading 24-19. But the Rangers score two more times, their D holds, and green_n_gold76 and I both breathe a sigh of relief.

The Fan-O-Meter says: "Are we there yet?"

Last edited:
I was about to post last night “Bring on the Holy War”, but seeing FCA stuff the GCC birds 56-21?!

Oh, wow! I hadn’t heard that. I’ll have to pick GCC to cover in my groupchat.

edit: should add that I hope it’s not the case that he’s out for long. Talented kid who is a SR.
Is the Welch that replaced him related to the 2010-2015 Welch's?

Is the Welch that replaced him related to the 2010-2015 Welch's?
I think the kid you’re referring to, his last name is actually Welsh. The Welch’s you’re thinking of were Pick North folks whose kids were going to be on the outside looking-in.

Looking forward to the Game of the Week at Fulton Field on Friday. First look of the year for my boys. Don’t know really what to expect… I guess we cook it through the air?

1663595207664.gif

More exciting than otherwise running up through the tackles. I’ll take some momentary excitement and change of pace (not an idiot, I can put 2+2+2 together on scores.)

Three years of Starcher at QB, and we basically only threw waggles with him his last two years. New system this year, like I said we probably can’t run anything else with how young and not gifted the offense is. Is what it is. Arena Football comes to the MSL.

Drew has us as 32 point dogs. We’ll cover. Smooth Jimmy has us +32 as the “Lock of the week.”
1663600283563.jpeg

Last edited:
Rangers host Teays this week for what may be the last time. Lots of fond memories playing them over the last 50-plus years. Maybe we'll present them with rocking chairs at halftime, they way other teams do when someone retires. That may soften 'em up a bit.

And no, I am NOT going to be saying "ship-load of Vikings" at any time.

"Bailey on the sweep, with threshing oar" may be a possibility, however.

Harvest Prep up 28-7 against Bishop Ready. I do not know what Bishop Ready is doing with their punt team formation because Harvest Prep has blocked the punt 3 times.

FCA 55
Fisher 17

Pick-6 in the 4Q pushed it to 38. Rats!

Props to FCA. Good luck in the playoffs, guys.

TV 17
HT 24

It was a barn-burner. Vikings came out with a balanced attack and great kicking. Once again HT faced a punishing workhorse runner (#16 Karshner) who seemed to carry on 75% of the plays. HT struggled to complete passes, but manage a 12-yard scoring run. TV leads at halftime, 17-7

3rd
Rangers get back on track with 64 yd scoring pass and a field goal, but had a second attempt blocked two minutes later. Tied 17-17

4th
9:30 Teays FG attempt goes wide
5:06 Hamilton scores on a 27 yd pass. TV 17, HT 24.
:10 Teays with ball, move just into Rangers territory, but QB sacked back at the TV 46
With one second left, Vikings throw a 40-yd pass downfield, but it's batted down

The Fan-O-Meter says: "We opened up the barn door, and kicked out the hay!"

Last edited:
Tiffin Calvert 40, Berne Union 7 final

BU is not a good football team. TC is pretty average and they could have done just about anything they wanted all night. TC outgained Berne Union 433-147 on offense.

Last edited: