Mid-State League 2022

Nice comment. “Leftovers.” Maybe at a school with 1800 kids it’s easy to forget those are kids who are there for school. I have nothing against Lancaster but this line of crowing is toxic. And it comes from people who wouldn’t know the kids even existed if they didn’t play sports to begin with.

Do better!
Easy...did not imply the term "leftovers" as a means to denigrate the students who decide to attend FC. I am not trying to "crow," as you say, any type of "toxic" ideaology.

There are definitely benefits to attend a private school, rather than a public school, but that might be for a different forum discussion.

In fact, the only implication I was making is that FC's success in athletics might persuade some students in Lancaster to attend FC. If it is a "toxic" idea to think that having successful athletic programs, in addition to their education aren't positive means to promote their school, then I apologize.

Whew...long response to explain to such a small misunderstanding, but that seems to be the political environment we live in today.

I dont know if this has been asked yet, but who and where are scrimmages taking place? Even Millersport since they fielded a team again this year?

I dont know if this has been asked yet, but who and where are scrimmages taking place? Even Millersport since they fielded a team again this year?
Hamilton Twp has two on the schedule, both at HT
Aug 5 - Northland (Cols)
Aug 12 - Dublin Scioto

Easy...did not imply the term "leftovers" as a means to denigrate the students who decide to attend FC. I am not trying to "crow," as you say, any type of "toxic" ideaology.

There are definitely benefits to attend a private school, rather than a public school, but that might be for a different forum discussion.

In fact, the only implication I was making is that FC's success in athletics might persuade some students in Lancaster to attend FC. If it is a "toxic" idea to think that having successful athletic programs, in addition to their education aren't positive means to promote their school, then I apologize.

Whew...long response to explain to such a small misunderstanding, but that seems to be the political environment we live in today.
I’ll weigh in. I think dude mistook you for a Lancaster fan.

I didn’t think your comment when you posted it was toxic. Although I do see why it could be read and interpreted that way.

Lancaster and FC — as schools — have a… eh, come se dicé… long history (the schools go back to the 19th century.) It’s not a glamorous history, it’s not a Nancy-and-Ronald power couple, nor is it even a friendly public affair; but, it’s also not a China/Taiwan or some super-acrimonious affair. I guess the best way to characterize it is “friendlier, more cooperative” than Newark/NC but again not sunshine-and-rainbows either. Inevitably there is an intersection with sports…

That intersection… is kind of wonky. It’s not a complete Cold War between the two schools in sports — we’ve played Lancaster baseball in late May in ‘18, ‘19, ‘21; we scrimmage in boys’ soccer. More contests than Wildcats/Wave. My perspective on the contests is LHS is willing to play FC in sports when they believe they have a pretty reasonable chance to win in a competitive and spirited affair (so, NOT football or softball but conversely not FC VBall or GBK… some years BBK.) Which, that’s fine. Now, the flip-side of that intersection has two components…

1) media / promotion — we only have one sportswriter in the area, so it’s different than Kurt and Dave up north being able to get Newark their due as well as the LCL. The Gales absorb a ton of coverage by the sole writer. A ton. Good writer? Yeah. Also goes above and beyond to get the Gales profiled in a manner that frankly isn’t extended to other schools in the area. Whether or not that’s “fair” is beside the point, because receiving minimized coverage in favor of the big school DOES hurt your school. And, it DOES hurt the overall landscape of HS sports for not just your school but your peers in the process (because if you don’t get “15 seconds “ coverage the paper’s Twitter, they’re not making it in either!)

2) the student-athlete experience…

A.) LANCASTER — unless a kid at Lancaster is a phenomenal athlete with the right measurables to boot, they are NOT going to get the three-sport experience by their senior year. The baseball coach wants them focused on baseball, the basketball coach wants them focused on basketball and the football coaches are only warm toward the football kids doing other things to a certain extent (wrestling is promoted obviously.) Lancaster also just restructured their JH program recently to where, instead of there being individual 7th and 8th grade teams each from Ewing and Sherman JH’s, it is now a 7th grade team and 8th grade team with the two schools combined. I understand the logic and advantages of that top-down restructuring, but, damnit, the flip side is a string of kids in every graduating class henceforth won’t have a realistic opportunity to see the field down the line if they drew a genetic short-straw or lost ground for the starting spot because they were doing other sports in the off-season. The commands to be competitive in the OCC are there, and the response to those commands causes 14-18 year old kids to have a(n albeit scaled-down) workload identical to what 19-22 year old kids have at a small D3 college. It’s a HUGE expense of time and resources geared toward a constantly-elusive goal: winning the premier big school conference in Ohio.

B.) FC — whereas Lancaster’s athletics command a vertical and specialized commitment, our’s by contrast is horizontal and generalized. Can’t have 90% of your boys specializing in one sport, because then you don’t have enough kids on the bench to sub in and out. It’s not relaxed by comparison to Lancaster’s, because relaxed means you’re going 0-10 and losing by 40 yearly, getting running-clocked every game in hoops and playing 5-inning baseball 20x a year. I do firmly believe our kids work as hard at the sports as the peers down the road — it’s just that our kids have to slice the time and energy pie three (in some cases, four!) ways whereas most kids at LHS have the whole pie toward one sport by the time they’re juniors and seniors (if not earlier.) Simple product of numbers! One school is 10x larger than the other.

Last edited:
And tying this ^ all together, back to the original point of contention…

When we do get kids from Lancaster, either first day of ninth grade or mid-career transfer, I feel both happy for the student (they’re at a place where I presume they’re happy and can have a more enhanced teenage experience) but also sad that they’re playing for a school that (through absolutely no fault of our own) is at the margins of press coverage… by extension they inadvertently find themselves at personally-awkward crosshairs of messaging. I see Wilson constantly sing online the praises about baseball coach at Lancaster’s “culture” and “program.” What about the other schools? Even more to the point, the ‘hell is that supposed to mean for the kids at my school (SMS-FC or Lancaster-FC) who play the given sport (baseball?) Kids who weren’t going to go to LHS in the first place, or who left in the pursuit of something more meaningful and complete than one single sport, but sure as hell work as hard as those kids do? Then there’s the more overarching talk on prep sports Twitter circles (this is not Wilson’s fault) where hordes of blue-checked accounts parrot about “loyalty, commitment; don’t take an easier road” as it relates to the sports that kids at all schools end up seeing. And although that is typically written in the context of college sports, it also is written in regards to HS sports and travel ball.

I see in general the point you’re making, and I agree completely. I do, however, obviously feel compelled to spill the feels’, as I have in these two posts. I want the Gales to succeed; plenty of friends there and they want FC to do well. Although not as abrasive and misunderstanding as Fulton, this all (not you, specifically, just the fact it’s a common refrain I’ve heard around town for years) just speaks to me and it rips me as a fan of our boys. I want our boys’ successes and experiences to be defined as the sum-product of what it means to be at (and play for) FC, instead of the local perception among adults and kids that we’re being aided or driven by the kids that were on the outside looking in at LHS (or for that matter, BC.) I also want us to be afforded the opportunity for our kids and coaches to tell their stories and experiences, like the Gales can, because I know our guys would do it for the same reason they do down the road: because they love their school. But since we can’t and really haven’t been able to, the narrative that lingers is one based on perception and not reality. And sometimes that’s a lonely fight.

BUCKEYE

AC: 8/6 (Saturday) @ West Jeff, 10am; 8/12 (Friday) WCH, 7pm

BC: 8/6 (Saturday) Maysville, 6pm; 8/12 (Friday) Gallipolis, 6pm

CV: 8/6 (Saturday) @ Madison-Plains, 10am; 8/12 (Friday) Whetstone, 7pm

FU: 8/6 (Saturday) @ WCH, 10am; 8/11 (Thursday, wait… what?) @ Highland, 7pm

HT: lol Z already did them.

LE: 8/6 (Saturday) @ Unioto, 10am; 8/12 (Friday) Marion-Franklin, 7pm

LU: 8/6 (Saturday) Beechcroft, 7pm; 8/12 (Friday) Newark Catholic, 7pm

TV: 8/6 (Saturday) Alder, 5:30pm; 8/12 (Friday) @ Licking Heights, 6pm

CARDINAL

BU: 8/6 (Saturday) Westfall, 10am; 8/12 (Friday) Crooksville, 6pm

BR: 8/5 (Friday) @ Northridge (w/ Crooksville), 10am; 8/13 (Saturday) vs Clay-Battelle (WV), 2pm

FC: 8/5 (Friday) Sciotoville East, 6pm; 8/12 (Friday) @ Millersport, 6pm

FCA: 8/5 (Friday) @ Ridgedale, 7pm; 8/13 ??? (This was supposed to be Federal Hocking, but I believe they’re done-zo for the year.)

GCC: 8/6 (Saturday) Columbus Crusaders, 6pm; 8/12 (Friday) West, 7pm

Miller: 8/5 (Friday) Mystery Team, 6pm; 8/12 (Friday) Eastern Meigs, 6pm

Millersport: 8/6 (Saturday) @ Lakewood, 10am; 8/12 (Friday) FC, 6pm

Worthington Christian: 8/6 (Saturday) @ Cardington, 10am; 8/11 (Thursday, again… what?) Grandview Heights, 7pm

Millersport's scrimmaging Lakewood? I know theyre close in proximity, and Lakewood doesnt have.. a proud football history, if any. But still, how does scrimmaging Millersport prepare you to play LCL schools?

Thank you for clarifying. My apologies for misunderstanding where you were coming from.

How will Teays Valley be this year? I heard 1000 yard rusher McDanal who is a all Ohio wrestler isn't playing this year.

Anybody see the Millersport scrimmage?
I didn’t, but I watched Kurt’s highlights and Lakewood was breaking tackles left and right.

Saw Lakewood at a 7 on 7 @ Sheridan (I know, I know) and they only look like they have one good athlete plus a bigger kid who is respectable on the outside.

I watched Liberty Union in Bodymore, tonight. They played Beechcroft. Oh, this would’ve been a fun game to watch 10 years ago!

LU nominally tied Beechcroft, 14-14. ‘Croft threw an pick-6 that got housed right as time expired.

Not the North/Side of old, and not the LU of old. LU’s numbers didn’t look great, maybe 31 (might not have dressed freshmen… IDK.) Croft might have had more. Croft really didn’t have any game breaking athleticism. Faster than LU but not faster with the rock. LU’s pass game on both sides of the ball is atrocious. They look young defensively. Fundamentally LU was better but I think Croft would have won a real game — they just diced LU all night long on crossing routes and flooding the zone; LU had some blown coverages too.

Messy scrim to watch. Nothing unsavory, just a bunch of fumbles & bad snaps & false starts & holds.

I disagree with your assessment dock. LU dominated the line of scrimmage and had outstanding running backs. Gaining 6-7 yards a run. LU wins this game by 2-3 TDs. It’s a scrimmage they were obviously working on things and being very vanilla. Whereas Beechcroft ran a double pass on the first play of a scrimmage. Seems silly. My opinion though.

And the score was 21-21 if you’d been paying attention
I didn’t factor in the 10 play intervals before they went down & distance and used the scoreboard. /shrug

LU offensively vanilla? Sure. Defensively vanilla? Prob not so much with the blitzes. Hard to say with a real game, I guess. LU could’ve hypothetically eaten up clock and driven the ball at will on Croft. On the other hand, Croft’s QB would’ve eluded two-hand touch in a real game (they gotta fix the snaps tho lol.)

What is LU’s numbers across the four classes?

WCH 12 Fairfield Union 12 Fairfield ran the ball well early in the scrimmage after Washington made some adjustments FU wasn't able to do much offensively . WCH on the other after starting out slowly was able to really pick apart FU through the air as well as running the ball. FU seemed have good numbers kids should be competitive they do not have very good depth though

Feel like we’re due to see HT get back into the conference title discussion. Those Rangers have started slower than the freight traffic on London-Groveport Rd in recent years.
Slow? We may be motionless this year. I'm hearing we lost one key starter and another key 2-way role player from last year's squad due to transfers, not sure how that impacts what schemes we'll use. But I have confidence that Coach Varney will make the most with what he's got.

My sources say the scrimmage against Northland last week was so-so. Bit of good news, though. The QB hurt in last year's pre-season had a good off-season recovery and rehab. He played on the hoops and baseball teams, hopefully will make a solid contribution on the gridiron this year.

Ah, it seems the boyishly handsome Sheriff Nate and his deputies return to Hamilton Gulch to fight off some Indians, just like the old days. Pickerington North scrimmages Canal Winchester at the corner of Lockbourne and Rathmell this Thursday. I may try to catch some of that.

Last edited:
Heard both TV and BC had good scrimmages last week. TV run game should be very solid and BC defense picked up right where it left off.

It's officially game week, and week 1 of the season. Any scoop on how the MSL looked during their scrimmages? Any predictions or games of interest? Crazy the season is already here again.

Berne Union opens up this friday at home vs. Coal Grove. BU won last season but lost a number of seniors. Gonna have to adapt to new personnel but do return a good bit of starters. Coal Grove didnt lose many from a team that is well tested year in and year out from a tough league that includes Ironton, Portsmouth & Fairland. BU then plays at home vs. Portsmouth Notre Dame who only lost 3 seniors and return 9 seniors including All Ohio DL 6'7" 250lb Dominic Sparks. Other non league game is @ Tiffin Calvert later in season. BU tryin to toughen up their non conference to combat a weaker MSL Cardinal past couple years. We'll see. Go Rockets