Massillon vs Lasalle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bingo 93. Against Avon and Hoban Longwell went 9-14, 91 yds and 4-12, 80 yds. Vs. LaSalle 12-24 for 245 but they adjusted in 2nd half when it became clear Keyes wasn't right. The quality of opponent and defense dictates playcalling and offensive production. No doubt Longwell was a GREAT qb, but if Catrone was in the FL he'd be 1st team qb. Ashby is up there too but I didn't see D1 written all over him like I've heard for 2 years. In that matchup Catrone was 9-10, 142 vs. Ashby 9-18, 209 but most came after game was already out of reach.

Defensively is where we need to match up better. It's not like Winton Woods didn't know what we know and Branam still did what he wanted running the ball. I WISH it was as simple as "just key on him." That is going to be a VERY tall order.

Bingo 93. Against Avon and Hoban Longwell went 9-14, 91 yds and 4-12, 80 yds. Vs. LaSalle 12-24 for 245 but they adjusted in 2nd half when it became clear Keyes wasn't right. The quality of opponent and defense dictates playcalling and offensive production. No doubt Longwell was a GREAT qb, but if Catrone was in the FL he'd be 1st team qb. Ashby is up there too but I didn't see D1 written all over him like I've heard for 2 years. In that matchup Catrone was 9-10, 142 vs. Ashby 9-18, 209 but most came after game was already out of reach.

Defensively is where we need to match up better. It's not like Winton Woods didn't know what we know and Branam still did what he wanted running the ball. I WISH it was as simple as "just key on him." That is going to be a VERY tall order.
Idk what game you watched, Ashby is a baller lol.

I was impressed how Ashby hung in there and battled, but A LOT of his yards was a result of him just throwing it up and praying. His tall receivers made him look better.
Ashby has a great arm but his feet are what helped him so much when he played Massillon. He was able to get away from the pressure, extend the plays and hit the open receiver.

Agreed with above. 9-18 is what it is. Completion % for the season is what it is. Throwing on the run above average. Good arm. Running ability was good but by no means great, as in not nearly good enough to get away with at the D1 level. He will need more pocket presence at the next level and not sure how well that will translate for him. I think he is opting for baseball though.

Agreed with above. 9-18 is what it is. Completion % for the season is what it is. Throwing on the run above average. Good arm. Running ability was good but by no means great, as in not nearly good enough to get away with at the D1 level. He will need more pocket presence at the next level and not sure how well that will translate for him. I think he is opting for baseball though.
Correct he will be a teammate of Longwell on the Kent St baseball team

Will this be the first game that the Tigers have not played at PBTS this year?

Technically no but in reality yes. They had a 6 minute bus ride to Perry. This will be the actual real first road trip.

Another change will be the officiating crew. Could be quicker to call an unsportsmanlike penalty than more local refs who worry about getting invited to PBTS.

Lancer fans - can you provide a quick capsule about your team's strengths in all 3 phases? Thanks

Special Teams: Sophomore Kicker Mason Luensman has been consistent and kicked a 41 yarder earlier in the season. Not as good as Jake Seibert last year who was a Senior then, at Ohio State now, but very solid nonetheless.

You remember our 4 starting DBs from last season. All 4 of them return this year.

We pass better this season than last season, but we only have 2 rushers per game that consistently gain 50+ yards per game, compared to 3 last season.

Averaging 35 ppg this season, against 33 last season.
Gave up 13 ppg last season. Giving up 21 ppg this season. (34 thru first 4 D2 games this year vs 35 in last year's first 4).

Overall, we're the team you remember, just with another year of experience.

Special Teams: Sophomore Kicker Mason Luensman has been consistent and kicked a 41 yarder earlier in the season. Not as good as Jake Seibert last year who was a Senior then, at Ohio State now, but very solid nonetheless.

You remember our 4 starting DBs from last season. All 4 of them return this year.

We pass better this season than last season, but we only have 2 rushers per game that consistently gain 50+ yards per game, compared to 3 last season.

Averaging 35 ppg this season, against 33 last season.
Gave up 13 ppg last season. Giving up 21 ppg this season. (34 thru first 4 D2 games this year vs 35 in last year's first 4).

Overall, we're the team you remember, just with another year of experience.
Thanks for the info. All 4 DBs returning will be quite a matchup for Massillon QB and receivers.

Do you guys still run the jet sweep? lol

Technically no but in reality yes. They had a 6 minute bus ride to Perry. This will be the actual real first road trip.

Another change will be the officiating crew. Could be quicker to call an unsportsmanlike penalty than more local refs who worry about getting invited to PBTS.
LOL what ??‍♂️

Ashby has a great arm but his feet are what helped him so much when he played Massillon. He was able to get away from the pressure, extend the plays and hit the open receiver.
This is what concerns me with LaSalle’s QB. He’s an excellent runner. Massillon has struggled somewhat in the past with that type of QB. Being able to extend plays can kill a team defensively. I know this years Massillon defense is much faster than even the last few years but with Payne being out, stopping their QB is going to be huge in this game.

This is what concerns me with LaSalle’s QB. He’s an excellent runner. Massillon has struggled somewhat in the past with that type of QB. Being able to extend plays can kill a team defensively. I know this years Massillon defense is much faster than even the last few years but with Payne being out, stopping their QB is going to be huge in this game.
I thought someone said Payne would be playing this weekend.

I think some of y’all are putting way too much stock into this being the first long road trip for Massillon. If they’re were a young team making their first deep playoff run and going on the road for the first time then maybe it would mean something but this is a team playing in the final four for the fourth consecutive season. They’ve played in plenty of road games.

???????

Yes....because so far....we've been given the benefit of the doubt by officials. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. All 4 DBs returning will be quite a matchup for Massillon QB and receivers.

Do you guys still run the jet sweep? lol
Yes, they run the jet. Hopefully we can defend it better this year. For years we heard how the Wing T would present problems for us but....not so much.

So receivers can bail out a QB? lol
Yes they can. It happens at every level. I have seen Jerry Rice bail out both Montana and Young. I have seen Gronkowski and Edelman bail out Brady. I have see Michael Thomas bail out Brees. I have seen TyIer Lockett bail out Russel Wilson. Does anyone remember David Tyree? He sure bailed out Eli, didn't he? I have seen Marvin Harrison bail out Peyton. I have even seen Chris Olave bail out Fields.

So, did Henne bail out Ashby more than once, yes he did. Just like Lamp and Ballard have bailed out both Longwell and Catrone. Isn't that the job of a good/great receiver? Not sure of your point. Please elaborate.

I feel this will be a close game
Massillon will need to contain the qb and jet sweeps. I have confidence in our defense. If Massillon can get the running game going it will open up the passing game, similar to what happened in the 2nd half of the Perry game. Of course, LaSalle is not Perry, will be a lot harder to accomplish this. No turnovers!!!

Yes they can. It happens at every level. I have seen Jerry Rice bail out both Montana and Young. I have seen Gronkowski and Edelman bail out Brady. I have see Michael Thomas bail out Brees. I have seen TyIer Lockett bail out Russel Wilson. Does anyone remember David Tyree? He sure bailed out Eli, didn't he? I have seen Marvin Harrison bail out Peyton. I have even seen Chris Olave bail out Fields.

So, did Henne bail out Ashby more than once, yes he did. Just like Lamp and Ballard have bailed out both Longwell and Catrone. Isn't that the job of a good/great receiver? Not sure of your point. Please elaborate.
Don't count on him elaborating.

Status
Not open for further replies.