It’s Time for a Shot Clock

If you want to watch fast basketball go to the local park.
I remember the 60's in the Wayne County League. Scores of 8-7, 10-8. Stall ball!

A team with a transition style offense playing against a very deliberate, half court style opponent.
It is this scenario that, in my mind, is the strongest argument against the shot clock. In my mind, I enjoy seeing the differing styles, to see the chess match, to see if the up-tempo team can force the more deliberate team out of its rhythm or whether they will become frustrated and taken completely out of their game. In my experience, these types of games are generally not the problem. In these games the up-tempo team generally will extend their defense to pressure the ball. To me the problem is when you have two more deliberate teams play each other, when one team is content to hold onto the ball and the other is content to sit back in a zone and let them hold it. Those are the ones where the frustration in the stands almost becomes palpable. But, in my estimation, those are also relatively few and far between. So, while I enjoy the up-tempo game, I am against the shot clock because it's interesting to watch the competing styles collide.

Last edited:
So, it would help some teams and hurt others.

So, a relatively small percentage of high school players.
Most HS basketball guys want to play at the next level whether its love of the game, to play pro, or for free/discounted college. Preparing them in HS for the next level whether its D1,2,3 NAIA whatever their next steps will have them more college ready and provide them with an opportunity at better success at that level. It also provides an opportunity for better games at the HS level when a team cannot hold the ball for two minutes running through a set because they fear the other teams ability to score

Exactly my only reasoning for a shot clock in HS @CDRam84, “it would eliminate deliberately holding the ball longer to preserve a lead.”

Obviously others disagree, but being down 10 with 3:30 left in a game should not automatically lead to a loss. That’s a lot of time left in a game.
Our high schools in West Virginia have shot clocks and it puts more excitement in the game also gives teams that are 10 or more down with 3:00 to go a chance

Yep, high schools are not colleges that can recruit the player to fit the rule. I expect some pretty atrocious basketball at the small school level once this goes through. Deliberate offenses that make the defense work, and stay on the floor , will be a thing of the past. Every coach will be just 35 seconds maximum away from a timeout.
Yes I noticed since our schools in WVA more strategy to the game and wiser timeouts are called

Most HS basketball guys want to play at the next level whether its love of the game, to play pro, or for free/discounted college. Preparing them in HS for the next level whether its D1,2,3 NAIA whatever their next steps will have them more college ready and provide them with an opportunity at better success at that level. It also provides an opportunity for better games at the HS level when a team cannot hold the ball for two minutes running through a set because they fear the other teams ability to score
Only about 5% will ever make it to the next level. I think by high school most HS players realize their HS careers are where it will end.

They have better chances of getting money for college in academics.

Oh…I have walked out on deliberately slow games…probably 3-4…Score is 14-10 at half I am out…I also walk out on blowouts…and now that I am familiar with the region after 22 years I don’t bother going to games I think won’t be competitive…life is too short to watch bad anything.
Agree it’s like going to a funeral

Only about 5% will ever make it to the next level. I think by high school most HS players realize their HS careers are where it will end.

They have better chances of getting money for college in academics.
Most Kids that I know and have coached are trying to go to play in college regardless of level placing a shot clock will allow them to develop to a style that will be closely played at the next level whether its JUCO NAIA D1, D2 D3 does not matter. Shot clock provides them a chance to adjust their style to fit what coaches are looking for at the next level. Placing a percentage on "players who make it to the next level" does not detour them from trying to achieve a goal. Shot clock is a reason why Ohio guys aren't being recruited less not the biggest reason but it is definitely in the reasoning from college coaches that I have personally had conversations with.

Most Kids that I know and have coached are trying to go to play in college regardless of level placing a shot clock will allow them to develop to a style that will be closely played at the next level whether its JUCO NAIA D1, D2 D3 does not matter. Shot clock provides them a chance to adjust their style to fit what coaches are looking for at the next level. Placing a percentage on "players who make it to the next level" does not detour them from trying to achieve a goal. Shot clock is a reason why Ohio guys aren't being recruited less not the biggest reason but it is definitely in the reasoning from college coaches that I have personally had conversations with.
Then I suggest you increase your circle of people you know. Most kids are just hoping to crack the starting lineup at some point. They may dream of playing someplace but if they are only scoring 5.2 points a game in HS they probably realize that dream is pretty far fetched.

As far as college recruiting goes...I think 8 states have high school shot clocks presently with a few more coming next season? If college coaches are using that to determine if a kid is college capable then shame on them as they are missing out on a LOT of potential good players. Besides that...I see ohio kids on rosters all around the country. So seems they are still able to get recruited based on their skills, size, speed, etc.

Then I suggest you increase your circle of people you know. Most kids are just hoping to crack the starting lineup at some point. They may dream of playing someplace but if they are only scoring 5.2 points a game in HS they probably realize that dream is pretty far fetched.

As far as college recruiting goes...I think 8 states have high school shot clocks presently with a few more coming next season? If college coaches are using that to determine if a kid is college capable then shame on them as they are missing out on a LOT of potential good players. Besides that...I see ohio kids on rosters all around the country. So seems they are still able to get recruited based on their skills, size, speed, etc.
14 with 14 more adding next season

IMO this is a solution in search of a problem. I understand that teams can abuse the lack of shot clock, but in reality, I'm not seeing that it actually happens on a routine basis. So, to me, it's a little bit like hitting a fly with a sledgehammer. Still, the shot clock is on its way and will, sooner or later, be installed. However, much like anything else in life, when something is gained, something is typically lost as well. So, while it may make it marginally easier for teams to come back from a late game deficit, it will also take away the clash of styles and make it more difficult for a less athletic team to compete. Which is more important? That's a question of taste. For me, I prefer the up-tempo game, so a shot clock won't bother me. But this is more than just tinkering with a rule. This is a substantive change to how the game is played. Much like the 3-point line, this would be a fundamental change. So, just be careful what you ask for.

IMO this is a solution in search of a problem. I understand that teams can abuse the lack of shot clock, but in reality, I'm not seeing that it actually happens on a routine basis. So, to me, it's a little bit like hitting a fly with a sledgehammer. Still, the shot clock is on its way and will, sooner or later, be installed. However, much like anything else in life, when something is gained, something is typically lost as well. So, while it may make it marginally easier for teams to come back from a late game deficit, it will also take away the clash of styles and make it more difficult for a less athletic team to compete. Which is more important? That's a question of taste. For me, I prefer the up-tempo game, so a shot clock won't bother me. But this is more than just tinkering with a rule. This is a substantive change to how the game is played. Much like the 3-point line, this would be a fundamental change. So, just be careful what you ask for.
Definitely a bigger change than most realize, it’s way deeper than just the seconds on the clock. It changes your defensive philosophy both at the beginning and end of a possession,it changes what’s a good shot, and really changes the flow. I’m all for it if they can manage it, there will be growing pains to get through.

The NBA has been using one since the 50's and college basketball since the 80's. It's more of a question of why the rules for HS are so radically different.

The NBA has been using one since the 50's and college basketball since the 80's. It's more of a question of why the rules for HS are so radically different.
Because the NBA and the NCAA need butts in the seats, eyes watching the telecasts, and advertisers to keep them viable. HS needs none of that.

The only thing worse than adding a shot clock at the HS level is adding the clock at the levels below hgh school. (see 3pt arc for grade school play)