GWOC -2021

Well, last year's state champion came from SW Ohio and so have many others. But, it would send a message on behalf of all Ohio small town, blue collar, middle class public schools to big private all boys schools that recruit from a number of counties over a large metropolis

Last edited:
Well, last year's state champion came from SW Ohio and so have many others. But, it would send a message on behalf of all Ohio small town, blue collar, middle class public schools to big private all boys schools that recruit from a number of counties over a large metropolis
This is a new year. Championships from the past do not mean sh.

This is a new year. Championships from the past do not mean sh.
Yes and no. Back in the day, large public schools like SHS were leaders in Ohio HS sports. But, over the decades, private schools and rich suburban public schools gained a huge competitive advantage because of money and recruiting ability. This is why in states like New Jersey, they completely separate private and public schools for state tournaments. In Ohio, middle class public school districts like Springfield fell by the wayside for years and simply couldn't compete. But, the consolidation back to one HS and the good fortune of getting a former NFL player like Coach Douglass to head up the football program put Springfield on a more even playing field.

Yeah, they will win that first game, but getting deep has been another story.
The '99 team didn't get past the regional semis...But, they beat the state runner-up (Wayne) by 20 at their place, throttled opponents by nearly 30 points/game and but for a miracle finish by regional finalist (Elder), were said to be by none other than "Vamps" to have been the toughest team in the state that year. But, back to my point...that was 22 years ago. I'll remain unconvinced until proven otherwise.

The '99 team didn't get past the regional semis...But, they beat the state runner-up (Wayne) by 20 at their place, throttled opponents by nearly 30 points/game and but for a miracle finish by regional finalist (Elder), were said to be by none other than "Vamps" to have been the toughest team in the state that year. But, back to my point...that was 22 years ago. I'll remain unconvinced until proven otherwise.
That '99 team would have won the State but for the miracle finish. I still don't understand how they gave up 21 points with under 2 minutes to go.

That '99 team would have won the State but for the miracle finish. I still don't understand how they gave up 21 points with under 2 minutes to go.
Elder’s line would just wear people down sort of li Nebraska in the mid 90s. Coaching, athletes, and luck.

I doubt they would of beaten Wayne for a 2nd time.... Wayne crushed nationally ranked St. X and was fired up for the rematch. They even announced Wayne vs Centerville for the following week as it looked like the ELK/Elder game was over. Wayne had no issues with Elder the following week.....

Elder’s line would just wear people down sort of li Nebraska in the mid 90s. Coaching, athletes, and luck.
But Wayne handled Elder pretty easily. And Centerville was up 14 points with under 2 minutes. And with seconds left, Centerville had possession and could have taken a knee and go to OT. But they threw INT returned for a game winning TD in the closing seconds.

I doubt they would of beaten Wayne for a 2nd time.... Wayne crushed nationally ranked St. X and was fired up for the rematch. They even announced Wayne vs Centerville for the following week as it looked like the ELK/Elder game was over. Wayne had no issues with Elder the following week.....
I think Centerville would have won the rematch but it would have been a closer game. Also, X played a bad game against Wayne and got overwhelmed.

I agree winning the rematch would have been a tall order. Especially with some key injuries the Elks had on defense heading into the playoffs. I was a bit surprised though that you guys lost to Iggy in the finals. It looked like Wayne was really peaking. Do you think '99 was Wayne's best team?

But Wayne handled Elder pretty easily. And Centerville was up 14 points with under 2 minutes. And with seconds left, Centerville had possession and could have taken a knee and go to OT. But they threw INT returned for a game winning TD in the closing seconds.
Uh....ok. I was just throwing out their modus operandi.

It is not the Colerain of old. McKinley is having serious issues. I think Springfield’s schedule is pretty much tough if they march to the state championship.
I really think this year's team is hungry to win in the State semifinals. If they beat Ignatius, that's a sign this is gonna be a very special year.

It is not the Colerain of old. McKinley is having serious issues. I think Springfield’s schedule is pretty much tough if they march to the state championship.
I really think this year's team is hungry to win in the State semifinals. If they beat Ignatius, that's a sign this is gonna be a very special year.
good luck to the cats this year. would LOVE to see a state title brought back to clark county
It would be the Dayton area's 1st state championship in the big school division

Buckle up for a slopperknocker and speed the first week at Springfield. Go Wildcats! "Rrrrrrrrroooooooooooooaaaaaaaarrrrrrr"!

I agree winning the rematch would have been a tall order. Especially with some key injuries the Elks had on defense heading into the playoffs. I was a bit surprised though that you guys lost to Iggy in the finals. It looked like Wayne was really peaking. Do you think '99 was Wayne's best team?

No, 99 was not the best team and you are correct, they should of beaten Iggy. Back to back turnovers to start the 2nd half cost Wayne the game.